Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I don't like Sky. Don't know what it is. It might be the homer Eurosport announcers. They wet themselves every time Sky goes to the front. It might be the unusual performances.

SKY is like the yankees, they're easy to cheer against simply because they have an all-star line up.

i'm not a huge froome or wiggo fan, but i'm loving porte and thomas. those two are great.

A hyped line up, I say. GC guys would be Froome and possibly Porte if G Thomas keeps with the program and Kennaugh keeps doing his Hincapie imitation. I like Wiggo and it would be cool to see him podium in a classic before he mails it in and becomes Fat Bastard.

Someone to really root for is former Sky kid Joe Dombrowski. He's healthy after arterial surgery and happy with his homies at Cannondale. He's riding Catalonia and the next few days will be interesting to see if he, Dan Martin and another good clean guy Tejay can follow Froome and the rest of the evil empire in the hills. USA! USA!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the finish line in Geelong for that race. Hell of a sprint. Matthews and Degenkolb are fast bastards.

echappist wrote:
i remember we had a discussion last year regarding how the podium of the 2010 U23 road race (Matthews 1st, Degenkolb 2nd, Phinney/Boivin 3rd) was really beginning to shine. Didn't take too long for Degenkolb to bring the goods. I was really impressed by his results at Paris Roubaix last year.

also, my picks were ruefully incorrect save for the wild card pick of Degenkolb. Oh well.

also, remember to tally your results here: https://docs.google.com/...3RW2XLLB4/edit#gid=0

1 pt if one of your pick lands in top 5
1 bonus pt (on top of the above) if one of your podium lands on the podium
1 more bonus pt for picking the correct winner
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have always found degenkolbs head bobble almost hypnotic.....GVA i another head bobbler
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I'll keep betting Sagan. He's demonstrated more mature and savvy racing and he'll get his if he doesn't let the media pressure and that jackass owner get to him. He's super consistent and has been doing it alone for a while. Nobody is questioning Cancellara's ride yesterday.

These guys are blessed/cursed to be THAT good to even hang with the sprinters in bunch finishes. You could see Sagan sitting up a bit and being patient rather than try to outrun the field at the finish. He's thinking.

Still marveling at Paolini. Kristoff was close to popping and managed 2nd.

I don't like Sky. Don't know what it is. It might be the homer Eurosport announcers. They wet themselves every time Sky goes to the front. It might be the unusual performances.

Riis just got (partially) sacked. I somehow think a year from now we are gonna get all sorts of bio passport irregularities from Tinkoff...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Riis just got (partially) sacked. I somehow think a year from now we are gonna get all sorts of bio passport irregularities from Tinkoff...
There's definitely something fishy going on here. It's way too early in the season to sack a DS due to lack of results; clearly this is the consequence of some power struggle internally. Maybe Sagan and Riis don't get along or something else is happening but we'll find out sooner or later.

Quote | Reply
Publicly they are stating it was all just power struggle.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...firm-riis-suspension
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
echappist wrote:

There's definitely something fishy going on here. It's way too early in the season to sack a DS due to lack of results; clearly this is the consequence of some power struggle internally. Maybe Sagan and Riis don't get along or something else is happening but we'll find out sooner or later.

Cyclingnews is saying that he stepped away to resolve his differences with Tinkof, not due to lack of results. Of course this is what their Comm Department put out so the reasons may be much different but they specifically said "It ain't the results". As far as I remember Sagan was quoted as saying that he went to Saxo in order to work with Bjarne in the first place so I'm not convinced it's friction between them either. Who knows. One thing I'm certain of, though, is that instability anywhere in the team, especially in the executive, is not a good thing for morale and racing. Even if Sagan's account is growing nice and large from the current contract.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dwars Door Vlaanderen:

1: Terpstra
2: Boom
3: Cavendish

WC: Kwiatkowski
WC: Farrar

I'm not nearly as confident with these picks as Strade and MSR. These mid-week races are always tougher to pick.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone help me find a drive side picture of Cavendish's bike during MSR? This was the best one I could find, but I am wondering about what rings/spider/cranks he was running.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All season is has been FSA SRM with FSA chainrings, but this issue is was brought up at a local race two weeks ago after a big crash in 1/2/3 crit. The guy sprinting second wheel just went down, chain thrown on the outside, he had a venge with di2. This sparked a pretty big discussion on a local team discussion board and there were 7 separate accounts with riders on specialized bikes with chains thrown on the outside, not all were riding DI2. The discussion consensus is that it is a specialized frame specific issue causing the chain to be thrown during accelerations. There were no accounts of this happening on a sram mechanical setup, all where shimano mechanical or DI2. Not sure if anybody else has noticed this issue or not. In can be difficult to determine the root cause of issues like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
Can someone help me find a drive side picture of Cavendish's bike during MSR? This was the best one I could find, but I am wondering about what rings/spider/cranks he was running.

not the bike at MSR, but i'd guess it's quite similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compared to the picture I posted, he's running different rings at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking Farrar and Terpstra too. So just to keep it interesting, I'm going Kwiatkowski, Farrar, Gatto.

Terpstra has to be favored, though I couldn't find a bookie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all good picks. Farrar has done well in this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cadillac: Terpstra
Steak Knives: Boom
Fired: Devolder

WC: Matti Breschel - because it's a wild card
WC2:Keisse...because he may not have another opportunity at the bigger races coming up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I secretly hope Terpstra takes it (aside from TK). He's a tireless worker and seems to always step up for teammates.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go with an Etixx Quickstep heavy prediction

1. Terpstra
2. Kwiatowski
3. Cavendish

WC Boom
WC Gatto

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

still better than my 1pt prediction. Dwars Door Vlaanderen, E3, and Gent are all on tap for this week. Deadline for picks before start of the races.

Dwars should be "fun" as it seems not so many big names will be doing it. Start list here: http://ddv.pro.p.assets.flandersclassics.be/...32198.pdf?1427055495

1st Terpstra
2nd Bo Hagen
3rd Trentin
WC Debusschere
WC Van Ashbroeck

last minute change; Jempy Drucker in for Debusschere
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bo Hagen.
Didn't see him earlier. Dang it. He rode well in MSR.
Crazy that these guys can do that on Sunday and do this on Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Bo Hagen.
Didn't see him earlier. Dang it. He rode well in MSR.
Crazy that these guys can do that on Sunday and do this on Wednesday.

Never mind the MSR/Dwars door Vlaanderen combo, how about Maciej Paterski who finished in the first group on Sunday (22nd overall) and then started in the Volta a Catalunya the next day (!) and won the first stage in a three man breakaway that put 2:40 into the peloton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exciting race so far (as exciting as reading the CN text feed in between spreadsheet work). Unfortunately, seems like my picks are having trouble keeping the rubber side down.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VPN+ spanish feed should do the trick, but tunnel bear is letting me down at the moment (old version worked fine but didn't go to Espana), new version does go, but i'm not getting past authentication...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
WC: Kwiatkowski
WC: Farrar

I'm not nearly as confident with these picks as Strade and MSR. These mid-week races are always tougher to pick.

McNulty wrote:
I was thinking Farrar and Terpstra too. So just to keep it interesting, I'm going Kwiatkowski, Farrar, Gatto.

Terpstra has to be favored, though I couldn't find a bookie.

deludedcyclist wrote:
I'm going to go with an Etixx Quickstep heavy prediction

1. Terpstra
2. Kwiatowski

well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I actually get points for that? I thought WC's had to be on the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale had a good day today.
Quote Reply

Prev Next