Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for Flanders and Roubaix. It will be another tense session, I'll be a nervous wreck sitting behind my computer yelling and being all stressed out. I just really hope for a strong performance by Sep ending with a win instead of 'just' (with all respect) podium. It would be well deserved for sure.

Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Would be a shame to ruin a good cup of joe.
I'm already tired of G. Thomas and it's not even April.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait until July when he's showing GC contenders the exit on HC climbs to set up Fromport.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Just wait until July when he's showing GC contenders the exit on HC climbs to set up Fromport.

he seem to have another gear this year... dude is a machine but what do u think sky will do with wiggo?

who are the racing for? wiggo or GT?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who are the racing for? wiggo or GT?

In the Spring Classics or any of the big one-day races, it's never a bad idea to have multiple options. As you can see from the racing so far this year - anything can happen, to anyone, at any time. Knowing that and the many many variables that are at play, it's always amazing to me that any rider wins consistently.

Indeed, Wiggins has stated that Paris Roubaix is a goal, he did very well there last year, and the cobbles aside, his type of fitness, matches up well to what is required to do well there. However, despite ALL that, one ill-timed puncture, or mechanical can take him out of the action, so to have a second option lying in wait is never a bad idea.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear u on that one but I am more curios to see what would happen if BOTH are in the final selection (ala Etixx team); I think that double strategy hasn't work that great for Etixx.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looking at the odds for Roubaix Wiggins generally seems to be put as third favourite at the moment, behind Sep and Stybar. Seems a bit ridiculous.

Did anyone see this story on cycling news about Boonen? http://www.cyclingnews.com/...or-first-win-of-2015 It'd be great if he could recover for it

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It didn't work so great for Team Sky last year either, when Wiggins & Thomas were both in the final selection at Roubaix...!

On twitter talking about Triathlon, Cycling & Sport Science - @taffytriathlete
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Debusschere goes 0 fer 2 today in De Panne. Again sitting on (this time with two team mates), whereas Kristoff (also with a teammate there) takes some serious pulls at the front yet still wins comfortably. That's gotta start playing tricks on him now....
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was easy for Kristoff today. When he took some pulls you know he is strong.
It will be interesting to see him on not so smooth surface the coming weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
Just looking at the odds for Roubaix Wiggins generally seems to be put as third favourite at the moment, behind Sep and Stybar. Seems a bit ridiculous.

Did anyone see this story on cycling news about Boonen? http://www.cyclingnews.com/...or-first-win-of-2015 It'd be great if he could recover for it

yep, saw that...gotta love these sponsors....all Boonen was doing was recon with his team, as he might have a few pointers...no way he's riding PR....a still healing AC separation repair (pinned) does not respond well to smashing over cobbles all day

As for Sky and Wiggo, etc. I've noticed a lot of hype and bias towards the English team/riders from Cycling News and the UK bookies, which means they're getting a lot of English money on Wiggo, Cav, etc.

That said, Sky has the #1 and 2 ranked riders in the world right now in Porte and Thomas. As everyone knows, Thomas is a master cobbles man as well as a world class climber. it's the superior Sky training and micro gains.

I'm looking for the big fade come June......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess Ronde picks must be made so here goes: sticking with Sagan, Thomas, Stybar.

WC:Terpstra, Vanmarke
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm still waiting for a) De Panne to end and b) more concrete weather report to come out. Seems like it'll be relatively sunny and without a lot of wind

Preliminary picks would be:

Stybar, GvA, Vanmarcke

Kristoff and Thomas
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
i'm still waiting for a) De Panne to end and b) more concrete weather report to come out. Seems like it'll be relatively sunny and without a lot of wind

Preliminary picks would be:

Stybar, GvA, Vanmarcke

Kristoff and Thomas
I don't think De Panne will show much because nowadays guys going for the win in Flanders don't often race in De Panne anymore.

I'm keeping it in the family again, with
1. Sep
2. Roelandts
3. Van Avermaet

A belgian sweep of the podium!

Quote | Reply
I'll just editorialize for a while before picking, but this race is nasty and the lighter, power roller guys- Sagan, Stybar, and now the PHEENOM G. Thomas have got to be favored. Remarkable how Boonen and FC have so crushed this race in the past given that they're "bigger".
The one guy that straddles types is Terpstra. He won't power away from anyone on the kops but yet will probably be right there. Can Sep not empty his chamber on the climbs and be able to hang? I think he's proven that he can. Stinj is crushing it and will help Stybar and Terpstra. MAybe too many options?
Chavanel had a good ride recently and there's always Jil the Bear. He'll be rested. And Kristoff with the coolest looking bad man in the peleton looking after him in my name is Luca Paolini. Hell, can he win it?
Weather is a big wild card.
Going to be a hoot.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Can't wait for Flanders and Roubaix. It will be another tense session, I'll be a nervous wreck sitting behind my computer yelling and being all stressed out. I just really hope for a strong performance by Sep ending with a win instead of 'just' (with all respect) podium. It would be well deserved for sure.

I'd love to see him win it. He just seems to be too responsible, to conscientious. Does a lot of work. Why can't he be more selfish? 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Cobble wrote:

I'd love to see him win it. He just seems to be too responsible, to conscientious. Does a lot of work. Why can't he be more selfish? 😊
Because that's just not his personality. When he lost to Cancellara in the sprint in Roubaix two years ago I remember the Sporza commentators saying he should let Fabian do the work in the last few miles but he just did his equal part. That's how he's always raced and it will never change. That may cost him a few wins maybe but I don't think he would enjoy racing that way.

Quote | Reply
the odds above the rider name are their odds currently

9/2
Sep Vanmarcke
5/1
Geraint Thomas
11/2
Peter Sagan
6/1
Alexander Kristoff
6/1
Zdenek Stybar
7/1
Greg Van Avermaet
9/1
Niki Terpstra
14/1
John Degenkolb
25/1
Lars Boom
30/1
Ian Stannard
30/1
Stijn Vandenbergh
33/1
Jurgen Roelandts
33/1
Sir Bradley Wiggins
40/1
Heinrich Haussler
40/1
Stijn Devolder
40/1
Sylvain Chavanel
50/1
Matti Breschel
60/1
Luca Paolini
66/1
Filippo Pozzato
66/1
Tony Gallopin
70/1
Jens Keukeleire
100/1
Bjorn Leukemans
100/1
Sebastian Langeveld
Last edited by: McNulty: Apr 2, 15 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Cobble wrote:

Because that's just not his personality. When he lost to Cancellara in the sprint in Roubaix two years ago I remember the Sporza commentators saying he should let Fabian do the work in the last few miles but he just did his equal part. That's how he's always raced and it will never change. That may cost him a few wins maybe but I don't think he would enjoy racing that way.

he is your cousin from memory yeh? can i ask why he went to the front in that last sprint? The commentators even suggested it wasnt a wise move, and i remember they talked him up as being a better track rider and sprinter than fabian (although cancellara got him again in 2014 too)
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another good day for Alexander Kristoff. Three in a row
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on how to view Flanders legitimately? I am willing to pay but it doesn't look like there are any options outside of pirate streams.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VPN tunnel (I use Private Internet Access) and Eurosport player subscription
Last edited by: markg: Apr 2, 15 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've got a subscription to Vypr VPN but can't get the eurosport player app. I think the app store must think I'm US based because of my credit card address so restricts me from downloading it even though I am using a Euro IP via Vypr.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. I can't believe this market is restricted for one of the biggest races of the year. Its just shortsighted from the organizers as well as all the sponsors. Specialized, Trek, etc. should demand their brand be seen legitimately in one of their most important markets.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is so absurd that either forces evil or extremely stupid are at work which I feel justifies viewing them non-legitimately

Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Yeah, I've got a subscription to Vypr VPN but can't get the eurosport player app. I think the app store must think I'm US based because of my credit card address so restricts me from downloading it even though I am using a Euro IP via Vypr.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. I can't believe this market is restricted for one of the biggest races of the year. Its just shortsighted from the organizers as well as all the sponsors. Specialized, Trek, etc. should demand their brand be seen legitimately in one of their most important markets.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...I pay for TunnelBear and find a stream on Cyclingfans or Steephill. I rationalize it through my mom who has a legitimate subscription to Eurosport in Europe so I kind of support the station :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next