Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
on a wholly unrelated note, i've been looking to buy a new road bike to replace my 5-year old Scott Foil. My TT bike is a Scott Plasma (with the rare shark tooth stem). So naturally, I'd like to stick to another foil (despite it having a messier front end than a Trek Madone).

What turns me off at the moment is that the standard issue aero road bars on it are compact/anatomical/whatever inflexible people use, whereas I want a classic round. Seems like Yates has one of those (seems to be an one-off), and i'd really like to get my hands on a copy. That'd be very swell, and i could even tell Scott that their sponsorship sold a bike.

I am glad I'm not the only one that dislikes the ultra compact bars the manufacturers are infatuated with at the moment.

Today was an interesting stage, Froome looked like he was hurting but he always looks terrible. TD at one point looked to be hurting but made it back just fine. I think today confirmed what we already knew, Froome vs TD vs Pinot with yates as a long shot. I think Chaves will pay for the effort today. Sky did seem to be less cohesive today, potentially not 100% comitted to Froome? I think after today he proved that his form is good enough to be on the podium. Lets hope for a close race and everybody on form.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Froome looked like he was hurting but he always looks terrible.

That's the funny thing with Froome, I've never seen him look like he was feeling good. His riding style never even makes him look fast, but somehow nobody can drop him.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Yates for one did drop him, but point taken overall.

What makes this race different for Froome from all of the past races, is that unlike every other race where all he had to do was hang in the Mountains and know that he can smash everyone in the TT, this won't win him the giro in this rodeo, he is already almost a minute behind TD, and even if was equal in time he more then likely won't be able to gain anything on TD in the TT, so his formula won't work if he wants to win (though it could still get him on the podium)

T3_Beer wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Froome looked like he was hurting but he always looks terrible.

That's the funny thing with Froome, I've never seen him look like he was feeling good. His riding style never even makes him look fast, but somehow nobody can drop him.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give him until week 3.....then we will know what he's really doing. I'm not a Froome fan by any means, but he's not one to count out just yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Give him until week 3.....then we will know what he's really doing. I'm not a Froome fan by any means, but he's not one to count out just yet.

If he looked less ungainly, and didn't ride for Sky, I'd probably be a big fan, in spite of puffergate. I thought today would show a lot and it did. He's right there.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
If he looked less ungainly, and didn't ride for Sky, I'd probably be a big fan, in spite of puffergate. I thought today would show a lot and it did. He's right there.

It's funny, I used to despise Froome because of the way he treated Wiggins when he took over Sky and because he was a boring rider. His 2016 TDF performance made me like him a little bit, but I'm still not all the way there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fan of Chavez, happy for him today. But was wondering why the team didn't get Yates to cross the line first to get the bonus seconds. Having two leaders in the team always complicate things IMO. (But what do I know.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He lost nearly 1:30 to TD at Worlds last year and :27 or whatever in only 10k. It's not only unlikely he won't gain anything in 30k ITT, but likely he'll lose gobs of time.

Little surprised TD gave away that much time to Yates today. He looked in control the whole way, and is perhaps being patient for what's to come. That said, was probably worse outcome for Froome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
Simon Yates has looked *really* good too. He's had no problem being up near the front to avoid any risk of getting on the wrong side of a split in the finale. While Froome has struggled in doing that.

i've been thinking Yates for this stage for some reason

ST calls it again.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
Fan of Chavez, happy for him today. But was wondering why the team didn't get Yates to cross the line first to get the bonus seconds. Having two leaders in the team always complicate things IMO. (But what do I know.)

I think that the team was the antithesis of Sky today, actually taking into account human feeling and emotions, after all that Chavez has been through the last 12 months and how much work he put in the break today, they just figured that he deserved to have the stage, it seems that Yates was on board with that plan as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
noodle_soup wrote:

I think that the team was the antithesis of Sky today, actually taking into account human feeling and emotions, after all that Chavez has been through the last 12 months and how much work he put in the break today, they just figured that he deserved to have the stage, it seems that Yates was on board with that plan as well.

classy ride by Yates.........Chavez won from the break, credited his teammate Haig for driving the break, which set up Yates for the GC.....cool team work, go figure........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Froome doesn't look very good. They need to attack and hold it; instead they are just soft pedaling after half a minute
Is Froome going to make it to Rome? Although I wouldn't bet on it, I won't be surprised if he pulls out of the race before the end. It doesn't seem like he (and Sky) really have their hearts into this Giro.

Lots of racing to go, though. Maybe they're saving themselves for the 3rd week.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
noodle_soup wrote:

Yes, and nice that still exists today.

Not like in 2012 when Froome won a stage and Wiggins said something along the lines of he now had his little glory and can now do his real job supportint me.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
I am glad I'm not the only one that dislikes the ultra compact bars the manufacturers are infatuated with at the moment.

what's your current set up, btw?

I was also a bit disappointed when Sagan traded his classic rounds for compact bars. The aethestics of compact bars just look "off"

trener1 wrote:
noodle_soup wrote:

indeed

Sean Kelly was saying how Yates should take the win to gain additional seconds, but even from a purely dollars and cents perspective, that wouldn't have been wise, as it'd have alienated someone who would help Yates, all for measly two seconds.

Also, Chavez being in the break meant that Yates could just sit tight and do diddly until he finally decided to kick it off. It was just reward for Chavez.

If there's any team that could leverage a dual-leader set-up, it would be this team. I think their all for one, one for all motto is more than just a marketing gimmick.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
trener1 wrote:
noodle_soup wrote:

Yes, and nice that still exists today.

Not like in 2012 when Froome won a stage and Wiggins said something along the lines of he now had his little glory and can now do his real job supportint me.

I'm all for feel good stories, but I don't really knock Sky for being what they are. When a domestique signs on with team Sky, presumably for more money than another team would offer...you know what you're getting into. And if you out grow that role, you're free to move on to another team like Porte and Landa.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
He lost nearly 1:30 to TD at Worlds last year and :27 or whatever in only 10k. It's not only unlikely he won't gain anything in 30k ITT, but likely he'll lose gobs of time.

Little surprised TD gave away that much time to Yates today. He looked in control the whole way, and is perhaps being patient for what's to come. That said, was probably worse outcome for Froome.

Perhaps it was "calculated?" His team really doesn't have the fire power to ride at the front for that long. Might as well "lend" the jersey to Yates, who'll cough up 1:30 on the time trial
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a different note, what's going on with Joe Dombrowski? He was in the break at the start of Etna climb, and then he was gone. Looks like he finished 5 minutes down.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Thread,

How can you say no to loving these guys?

All that is right about the peloton in one squad,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TD said his legs weren't great at the start of the climb, but after that they were OK but he was finished at the end. So it seems he's not at his top game yet, but manages to keep up going uphill.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
On a different note, what's going on with Joe Dombrowski? He was in the break at the start of Etna climb, and then he was gone. Looks like he finished 5 minutes down.

Good question. He may have been called off to come back to Woods, or he may have just been cooked and pulled the plug for the day. I admit being surprised he was off the climb. Hope he's healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can I watch the Giro in the US?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

Eurosport + VPN

1st get a VPN service

next subscribe to Eurosport

which gives you access to both live streams and VOD (for at least one week)
For instance, all 260km of De Ronde was available for a whole month

Entire stages of the Giro are also available, commercial free. For example Stage 2

More from today's stage

Start

mid-stage

decisive move

finish, note the time on the slidebar and the time for the stage
Last edited by: echappist: May 10, 18 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

Check out Flo Tv
https://www.flobikes.com/...in-the-us-and-canada

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The peloton did not want Tony Martin in the break today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Good interviews with Chavez and Yates. Both gave credit to their teammates, smiling Chavez says, "We now go to the mainland and keep it dreaming".
I'm rooting for them.
Yes, that interview with Flecha was refreshing. None of the common meaningless coached interview drivel. They were obviously, and understandably, delighted with their performances and couldn't stop grinning but it also came across as very sincere when they were talking about their team mates etc. It put me in a good mood.
Quote Reply

Prev Next