Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
If Max Schachmann had been Aru's 30 second guy, Aru would have caught and passed him.

One more time: Fabio Aru would have caught and passed Max Schachmann.

No, still doesn't sound right. I'll try again later.

No....still not happening for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
McNulty wrote:
If Max Schachmann had been Aru's 30 second guy, Aru would have caught and passed him.

Go party with Luca Paolini for a while then try again.

On the brighter side at least Yates easily passed my "Panzerwagen test"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
McNulty wrote:

if he were racing in Spain, he'd have gotten a 2-minute penalty (or possibly DQ'ed). But as he wears il tricolore on the road...
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
pk1 wrote:
he was only penalised 20 secs for drafting whereas others got 2 minutes so either he wasn't getting enough benefit to explain his fast time or more likely he got off lightly due to being an italian in italy - either way something is well off here.

Could also have to do with perceived intent and circumstances. Aru was flagged for drafting a cop, who "should" know to keep their distance from a rider, as the rider has the right to pick whatever line they want. Ulissi and Conti seems like they were penalized for working together in some capacity after Ulissi bridged the 1 minute gap. That shows a different form of intent, and Ulissi can't claim he didn't have a choice but to draft, where to a certain extent, Aru could make that case.

Yes. I would definitely like to see the footage of Aru drafting, because that should really be on the race organisers for not having this happen. The racer can pick whatever line he wants on the road. It's on the person on the MC to get as far in front as to not cause drafting to occur, not on the racer to avoid the line of the MC. I could perhaps see the problem if the MC continues to change line to try and not have Aru get draft, but Aru keeps changing lines to get draft. I can then see it's bad faith on Aru, but I would still say it's ultimately the MC at fault because it should just get further out in front. And if for some reason the MC can't do that then something is wrong with the route, barriers, organisation, or the like.

When this happens it's really a lose/lose situation, because I think the organisers know that it's relly their fault, but the blowback from other riders and the media/fan probably requires them to give him some kind of penalty.

I have tried in TT's that you get to a faster section (e.g. tailwind or down a hill) and the MC is asleep at the wheel and I almost catch the MC around a faster bend. I sure as hell am not hitting my brakes to avoid either catching the MC or to ride a slower line to avoid getting up behind it. So you can either choose to get illegal draft or hit the brakes and stay legal, but lose time due to a fault on the MC/organiser. No good option and when I have been in those situations I get quite annoyed, especially becuase I then wonder how many times this happens for the other competitors and how this might skew the result.

Now for Ulissi and Conti, no excuse for that. That's just bad form and I wouldn't mind them getting thrown all the way to the back in the results for the TT.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Go party with Luca Paolini for a while then try again.

On the brighter side at least Yates easily passed my "Panzerwagen test"

Loved Paolini. Not a good way to exit, though. I was very impressed that he could party like that in the middle of a tour. I was thinking he should have been given points or something. But then it turns out he brought the marching powder to the start line. At that point, not recreational.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
McNulty wrote:

if he were racing in Spain, he'd have gotten a 2-minute penalty (or possibly DQ'ed). But as he wears il tricolore on the road...

I think you're right. The ethic seems to be, get away with what you can get away with. Carlton Kirby just said, "Aru is moving to the fore. There must be a motorbike up there or something. "
Last edited by: McNulty: May 23, 18 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
TravelingTri wrote:
Watching the ITT stage live right now. Trying to figure out the arm pad positions on most of the riders. Overall the arm pads seem way higher than what I am seeing in competitive Ironman athletes. Despite this the backs of al the riders are flat. Someone enlighten me as to what is going on here. I am thinking it has something to do with the UCI frame compliance (of which I know nothing), but can't figure it out.

Not an expert and some here are, but I think they are on smaller frames than ideal due to the UCI regulations. They all want the saddle further forward than they are allowed, so they go with a small frame to reduce the reach. The pedestals on the bars increase the stack.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? The TT pros all had their arm pads raised up substantially higher than I usually see, especially compared to a triathlete's.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [spencer99w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sky is harshing my mellow again with Pouls in the break. I want Ben Hermans to get a stage win.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to get first-hand perspective, thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let the madness begin. Tomorrow's stage is pretty mellow for the first 175k or so, but ends with a 13 km climb averaging 7.2%. Coming off the rest day and the TT, which some guys may have sandbagged, there may be quite a few guys feeling fresh. It will be interesting to see who is allowed into the break and how big that group is.

My guess is that the break gets a long leash and stays away. Unless Froome is feeling good and sends Sky to the front early on the climb, I think all the GC guys will be too fresh to create any time gaps. They'll also be weary of burning matches unnecessarily leading into tomorrow's stage especially if all the time bonuses are taken up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I think you're right. The ethic seems to be, get away with what you can get away with.

I loved the fake crash by the CCC rider at the Tour of Norway (inside the last 3K so he could get the same time as the field)

(He's the last guy to "lay down", right in the middle away from everyone else.)

Last edited by: trail: May 23, 18 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. Not only does he look like an idiot faking a crash. He also looks like an idiot for not understanding how the 3 km rule really works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I think you're right. The ethic seems to be, get away with what you can get away with.

I loved the fake crash by the CCC rider at the Tour of Norway (inside the last 3K so he could get the same time as the field)

(He's the last guy to "lay down", right in the middle away from everyone else.)

Maybe he was watching replays of the UEFA Champion's league for FIFA World cup qualifying and took a page out of the soccer player book!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Let the madness begin. Tomorrow's stage is pretty mellow for the first 175k or so, but ends with a 13 km climb averaging 7.2%. Coming off the rest day and the TT, which some guys may have sandbagged, there may be quite a few guys feeling fresh. It will be interesting to see who is allowed into the break and how big that group is.

My guess is that the break gets a long leash and stays away. Unless Froome is feeling good and sends Sky to the front early on the climb, I think all the GC guys will be too fresh to create any time gaps. They'll also be weary of burning matches unnecessarily leading into tomorrow's stage especially if all the time bonuses are taken up.

I'm calling my shot now, Froome is about to blow this thing apart. Yates will crack in the next couple of days and the Sky train will be in position to pick up the pieces with Froome delivering the knockout attack and winning the Giro. I'm not a Froome fan by any means, but I think there's a reason he stuck this thing out to this point. Think Stage 10 in the 2015 TDF....something like that awaits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
LOL. Not only does he look like an idiot faking a crash. He also looks like an idiot for not understanding how the 3 km rule really works.

Can you enlighten me? I always thought if you were in the main pack inside the last 3km then everybody got given the same time even if you had a crash or the pack split.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Jason N wrote:

I'm calling my shot now, Froome is about to blow this thing apart. Yates will crack in the next couple of days and the Sky train will be in position to pick up the pieces with Froome delivering the knockout attack and winning the Giro. I'm not a Froome fan by any means, but I think there's a reason he stuck this thing out to this point. Think Stage 10 in the 2015 TDF....something like that awaits.

Or rather, there’s a stipulation in his contract stating that he’d get nothing iF he abandones due to issues other than injury and illness
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
Jason N wrote:

Or rather, there’s a stipulation in his contract stating that he’d get nothing iF he abandones due to issues other than injury and illness

SO cynical. I like it.

My boy Maxie Schachmann is in the break and Aru is not. Emirates called for more moto traffic and didn't get it.
Break has 13 minutes. I think it sticks and there's a GC war behind on the climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:

I'm calling my shot now, Froome is about to blow this thing apart. Yates will crack in the next couple of days and the Sky train will be in position to pick up the pieces with Froome delivering the knockout attack and winning the Giro.

Where's that block button again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Break has this one. Makes for better viewing, like watching two races
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that was interesting!

Edit: And, man, what a year Quick-Step is having. Win after win after win.
Last edited by: trail: May 24, 18 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro delivers again; as does QS
next two days will be fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

I'm calling my shot now, Froome is about to blow this thing apart. Yates will crack in the next couple of days and the Sky train will be in position to pick up the pieces with Froome delivering the knockout attack and winning the Giro.

Yates showed weakness today......what happens tomorrow??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
trail wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

the other twin shows up
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
trail wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

the other twin shows up
Shots of Jack Daniel's?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:

I predict he'll hang on.

Gotta love Pozzovivo. Not the most exciting rider, but fun to pull for the little guy (both metaphorically and literally). I hope he holds off Froome.

Pinot is now officially "disappointing".
Quote Reply

Prev Next