Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Little guys ballin' in the short TT! Pozzovivo, Yates!

Yeah, surprising to see both in the top 10, Yates actually faster than Tony Martin and Pozzovio tied with him. And with Froome losing lots of time things are shaping up for an interest race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommy D comes thru like the champion that he is; Ro Dog just not quite fast enough.
Froombutol still feeling the effects of the crash yesterday
Simon Yates also had a fast ride, which is good cause he's on my fantasy team.
Still not impressed with EF Education\Drapac kit colours, gonna be hard to pick out the leader this year

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Froome's front wheel washed out while cornering over a manhole cover during while test riding the course. The combination of his injuries and possibly being gun shy during the technical corners of the course could have been the major factors in him losing 37 seconds rather than pure fitness leading into today. Still...that's a TON of time to try and make up on TD...considering there's another 35km TT and he looks on form.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winning a GT take a some luck and Frome didn't have it today. Looking at the video of the crash he wasn't doing anything aggressive. Looks like his back wheel just hit a manhole cover at just the wrong angle. Took the balls out of him on a course that needed them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Took the balls out of him on a course that needed them.

On the other hand, almost every GT victory involves being tested with serious adversity multiple times, and handling it gracefully. (e.g. Froome himself running a bike uphill). I was a little surprised that he'd get snakebit by something that didn't look, on the surface, all that big of a deal. Buy, of course, often reality is bigger than surface perception. Good chance Froome will show up in a big way for the rest of the race. (even though as a card-carrying Froome-hater I hope he undergoes a complete meltdown).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the Giro has officially started and see Tommy D win in fashion. I go back to last year and his fight to win, he was such a worthy winner last year. I can only hope we get a race like last year.

Enjoy the show everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
torrey wrote:

On the other hand, almost every GT victory involves being tested with serious adversity multiple times, and handling it gracefully. (e.g. Froome himself running a bike uphill). I was a little surprised that he'd get snakebit by something that didn't look, on the surface, all that big of a deal. Buy, of course, often reality is bigger than surface perception. Good chance Froome will show up in a big way for the rest of the race. (even though as a card-carrying Froome-hater I hope he undergoes a complete meltdown).

To be fair Froome has never really been great at short TT's, Martin also seems to struggle with short technical TT's......what is the deal with Martin he seems to have completely lost his ability to be a serious TT contender.

One potential issue is now Sunweb has a lot of responsibility early and i am sure Sky is perfectly happy to allow them to hold the pink jersey. If i was TD i would rather BMC have the jersey early and chill out for a week. Can sunweb protect TD for three weeks? TD cannot climb to the same level as an on form Froome, which begs the question is Froome on form or close to ideal form?

Who do you think is a serious contender outside of TD/Froome? Pinot, Yates, Woods, Bennett, Aru, do we know who Movistar is riding for?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lopez?
Astana has the beef to protect him, maybe....he's a youngster, 24.
3rd GC in the Tour of Alps with a stage win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't get Martin. He seems adrift.

Another GC contender would be Chaves, but his TT wasn't encouraging.

Don't know what Movistar is doing. Maybe try to encourage Betancur to keep his shit together for 3 weeks straight, but good luck. I think they're grooming Carapaz as a potential long-term GC project, but probably way too soon to expect anything in the Giro. I expect they'll be mostly stage hunting.
Last edited by: trail: May 4, 18 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a little funny that Movistar seems to effectively be sitting this one out... It's not like they don't have a few guys on their squad who could be legit contenders in this race. Will be interesting to how they ride as a team in the Tour... Valverde seems fine being a role player but I don't get the impression Quintana or Landa are willing to play second string.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
trail wrote:
Little guys ballin' in the short TT! Pozzovivo, Yates!

Yeah, surprising to see both in the top 10, Yates actually faster than Tony Martin and Pozzovio tied with him. And with Froome losing lots of time things are shaping up for an interest race.

early results were wind aided
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
trail wrote:
torrey wrote:

One potential issue is now Sunweb has a lot of responsibility early and i am sure Sky is perfectly happy to allow them to hold the pink jersey. If i was TD i would rather BMC have the jersey early and chill out for a week. Can sunweb protect TD for three weeks? TD cannot climb to the same level as an on form Froome, which begs the question is Froome on form or close to ideal form?

Who do you think is a serious contender outside of TD/Froome? Pinot, Yates, Woods, Bennett, Aru, do we know who Movistar is riding for?

I'm pretty sure I read a quote somewhere that Sunweb has absolutely no intention of protecting the jersey now and riding at the front for 3 weeks.
They know as well as anyone that they will need to keep their troops fresh for the last week.
I bet they let a breakaway go up the road and dare the sprinters teams not to chase.

Outside of TD and Froome, my money is on Pinot to be on the podium, he finished 4th last year and has shown himself really strong this spring, Lopez could well upset the apple cart if he can climb like he did at the Vuelta last year.
Those other names you mentioned, while they are all good riders I just don't see them on the podium, top 5 yeah, Woods and or Yates top 5 if the chips fall right.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is not making the call. I'm predicting it here - win or lose, leading or trailing, Froome is disqualified during the Giro. Black eye for the UCI? Yes. BIGGER black eye for Team Sky? YES. I think that the UCI is pissed that they are stuck in the middle here - Froome can keep racing while waiting to clear his adverse finding. No one benefits if Froome does well/ wins the GdI and then gets sacked for last year's problems. This should have been resolved before the GTs and the fact that it is not - well, lots of folks are potentially swinging in the wind. UCI can't run the risk of a Froome victory in the GdI overturned. They will find a way to disqualify Froome if he survives he first 1/3-1/2 of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
He is not making the call. I'm predicting it here - win or lose, leading or trailing, Froome is disqualified during the Giro. Black eye for the UCI? Yes. BIGGER black eye for Team Sky? YES. I think that the UCI is pissed that they are stuck in the middle here - Froome can keep racing while waiting to clear his adverse finding. No one benefits if Froome does well/ wins the GdI and then gets sacked for last year's problems. This should have been resolved before the GTs and the fact that it is not - well, lots of folks are potentially swinging in the wind. UCI can't run the risk of a Froome victory in the GdI overturned. They will find a way to disqualify Froome if he survives he first 1/3-1/2 of the race.

I think you're way premature. Assuming the initial finding against Froome, he's almost guaranteed to appeal to CAS, which takes weeks-to-months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
trail wrote:
torrey wrote:

To be fair Froome has never really been great at short TT's, Martin also seems to struggle with short technical TT's......what is the deal with Martin he seems to have completely lost his ability to be a serious TT contender.

Well Woods isn't going to be a true podium contender until Vaughters glues his ass to a TT saddle for a couple months. He got caught for a minute by Campaerts (sp).

I am sometimes amazed that Slipstream went from a team that has won ITT and TTT events to what they are today. Except for Phinney, everyone n the team is a pretty weak TT rider. Maybe Uran can put in an OK ride from time to time, but most of his TTs are stinkers these days
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/4701/going-for-20-adam-hansen-speaks-ahead-of-the-giro-ditalia

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froomes crash obviously cost him some time early but for us it makes for an interesting Giro. Froome needs to do something in the mountains and cannot just cover everyone else and rely on TTs. I see Dumoulin not yet in the Froome league in the mountains so the early gap is good for the race.

Doping case aside, if Froome is all in on the Giro-Tour Double then I asume he is not at his peak yet and will increase his fitness more and more the longer the Giro lasts. He did well on such an approach in last years Tour-Vuelta Episode. And I guess he values the Tour over the Giro so chances are even greater that he will be at his best in week 3.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Well Woods isn't going to be a true podium contender until Vaughters glues his ass to a TT saddle for a couple months. He got caught for a minute by Campaerts (sp).

I am sometimes amazed that Slipstream went from a team that has won ITT and TTT events to what they are today. Except for Phinney, everyone n the team is a pretty weak TT rider. Maybe Uran can put in an OK ride from time to time, but most of his TTs are stinkers these days

being on Cannondale bikes doesn't help :p. I think there was a former rider who trashed them for having unaero bikes (though this could just be publicity stunt for his new team)

Jest aside, wait and see. This Giro is quite hilly, who knows how it will shake out. That 2016 edition was quite something: Kruiswijk seemed to be in control, only to crash; then Chavez couldn't follow one Nibali acceleration (the only one he had trouble with), and his quest for the Maglia Rosa was over. Quite chaotic.

I used to never fully appreciate the chaos introduced by high mountains, but descending those things is no joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

being on Cannondale bikes doesn't help :p. I think there was a former rider who trashed them for having unaero bikes (though this could just be publicity stunt for his new team)

You are right, it was Ryan Mullen, he gave that interview earlier this year after he won a TT on his new (trek) bike/team.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
echappist wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

You are right, it was Ryan Mullen, he gave that interview earlier this year after he won a TT on his new (trek) bike/team.

Reading his interview he seemed to be trashing more of how old the bikes were (referencing them being 5 or 6 years old and super flexy due to their age/use) versus being a significant aero disadvantage. I also thought he made reference to the lack of adjustability and not being able to get in his ideal position. Definitely telling that he won a TT in one of his first races with Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
breezy in the desert this morning....maybe some echelon shenanigans?......it's usually QS who does this but no incentive today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Jest aside, wait and see. This Giro is quite hilly, who knows how it will shake out. That 2016 edition was quite something: Kruiswijk seemed to be in control, only to crash; then Chavez couldn't follow one Nibali acceleration (the only one he had trouble with), and his quest for the Maglia Rosa was over. Quite chaotic.

I used to never fully appreciate the chaos introduced by high mountains, but descending those things is no joke.

Especially in the Giro....right now from what people are reporting those high mountains are covered with snow (ex Cervina)....2.5 weeks later allows for meltdown time, but the descents in the Giro high mountains can be the worst of all the Grand tours, because the riders can be going from bone dry to wet to dry to wet. That's different from a wet descent on the TdF or Vuelta on a rain day.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
breezy in the desert this morning....maybe some echelon shenanigans?......it's usually QS who does this but no incentive today

someone else on another board posted about something "interesting" extracurriculars. So interesting that the announcer lost his train of thought (his own words).

but man, those desserts...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What other cycling boards do you follow? I occasionally stop by weight weenies then remember very quickly why i left there years ago.

I am somewhat surprised that Sam Bennett was not penalized for his sharp move into the barriers today, if it was Sagan or Cav the keyboard warriors would be in full mobilization. This stage was a good teaching stage to watch how splits form in crosswinds and how to move into position. The last 5k was interesting from a technical standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
What other cycling boards do you follow? I occasionally stop by weight weenies then remember very quickly why i left there years ago.

I am somewhat surprised that Sam Bennett was not penalized for his sharp move into the barriers today, if it was Sagan or Cav the keyboard warriors would be in full mobilization. This stage was a good teaching stage to watch how splits form in crosswinds and how to move into position. The last 5k was interesting from a technical standpoint.

paceline.net (formerly serotta forum). I used to hang out on the road racing subsection of bikeforums a lot, but the place got so snarky and inane over the years. I went from averaging a few posts/day to barely making a post every 6 months. Never spent much time on weight weenies. Particular reason you left?

As for Bennett, that was a bit ridiculous; more than 1 lane width of drifting. Perhaps him being non-Italian had something to do with actually being sanctioned, as usually such a move doesn't get penalized unless the person behind got impeded. In this case, Viviani still came around. Hopefully they'll be as strict on other stages.
Quote Reply

Prev Next