Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way are we going to do a single thread of the entire Giro, or a daily thread. I found the single thread (ex for the classics) creates limited interaction on this forum, whereas the daily thread (or at least 3-4 per week that are instigated by key stages) create a lot more dynamic discussion. With the single thread, you just get a few hard core fans participating.

I mean we have Mt. Etna, Zoncolan, Jerusalem TT, Stage 16 ITT, Sestrieres/Bardonechia, and Cervina/Zermatt...that's the last climb of the Giro, 19 km to the summit finish with a few 12 percents...Froome could easily have Dumoulin on the ropes and Nibali should be attacking like a madman on his final chance. Aru better go attack like batshit on Zoncolan...that mountain is calling his and his chance to make up time on Dumoulin. Meanwhile Froome is going to be spinning in his 34x32 like he's riding on the Kenyan mountain bike team and not getting dropped.

I think minimally we need threads for each one of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also curious to see dynamic of Froome likely having to go on attack just to come even, considering how TD smoked him in worlds ITT last year.

Too bad Jungle Bob is lining up here, would be interesting with his form, even as a stage hunter.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 2, 18 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Also curious to see dynamic of Froome likely having to go on attack just to come even, considering how TD smoked him in worlds ITT last year.

Too bad Jungle Bob is lining up here, would be interesting with his form, even as a stage hunter.

Yes, this should be really interesting. I assume the Jerusalem TT will tell us what to preview in stage 16 in terms of the delta between these two in the stage 16 TT later in the race and what they have to do in between and after to secure the win (assuming no mishaps). I would think Froome has the advantage on Zoncolan.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I mean we have Mt. Etna, Zoncolan, Jerusalem TT, Stage 16 ITT, Sestrieres/Bardonechia, and Cervina/Zermatt...that's the last climb of the Giro, 19 km to the summit finish with a few 12 percents...Froome could easily have Dumoulin on the ropes and Nibali should be attacking like a madman on his final chance.

I'd say if Nibali (Vincenzo) attacks Froome and Dumoulin at the Giro, he's definitely a madman. Given he's not racing. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of ways this Giro can go. The Froome vs Dumoulin thing is obvious, though I don't really know that either one has shown they're coming into this with great form. Lots of possibilities for who else could reveal themselves as contenders. Mitchelton-Scott have a few good cards to play, so does Astana. EF Education First - Drapac p/b Cannondale (had to write it all out) seem to be doing the opposite of what they did at the Vuelta (where they had Woods as a stage hunter, but switched into GC mode part way through), so he'll start with GC aspirations and switch to stage hunting if it's not looking good for him... the lack of TT mileage plays into his hands here (and against Froome and Dumoulin).

Lots of other exciting riders who can go for some stage wins, and of course, the Giro being the Giro, unexpected stuff will for sure happen. Should be great.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who decides and how do they decide what the "Queen Stage" is....and can I put my two cents in for Stage 19 with the mtn top finish and the brutal, gravel climb mid way?

PS. I'm still on the fence about Hoogerland

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Who decides and how do they decide what the "Queen Stage" is....and can I put my two cents in for Stage 19 with the mtn top finish and the brutal, gravel climb mid way?

there's 3 of us decide that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how does Mitchelton-Scott go with Chaves and Yates and Astana has had a good start, can Lopez produce ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what to think about this if true, would this be unprecedented?

http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/giro-ditalia/giro-director-uci-assured-us-froome-wouldnt-stripped-giro-win_464992

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“We’re confident that the winner in Rome will be the final result for the Giro d’Italia,” added Vegni

That's remarkable. Cheating in cycling has either been solved all of a sudden or they're prepared to commit to future sweep under of carpets.

How on earth can Vegni be confident that the winner in Rome will be the final result given the past history and current uncertainty around PED use in cycling. This statement doesn't make me feel better or more confident in the UCI/Giro's grasp of things. It makes me absolutely certain we'll get more of the same.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ianpeace wrote:

there's 3 of us decide that.

Col de Finestre on this stage has the Cima Coppi, plus the climb up to Sestriere....not sure if the descent is the one that Salvodelli won the 2005 Giro on before the final climb, but I'll put my vote in for this stage.

I was actually hoping to go on a family vacation to Rome to conveniently time it with the end of the Giro, but my plan got overruled by my family and we're sticking to local stuff ....so maybe next year when my startup has better cashflow/cash balance LOL!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to the GT and will participate in the threads as I had fun with the classics one.

But to be honest, I am tired about all the questions surrounding Froome. The focus on his outstanding case is taking away from the racing.

RE: Ai_1, I think Vegni is just so sure that Froome will win this one.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
....RE: Ai_1, I think Vegni is just so sure that Froome will win this one.
Do you mean this edition of the Giro or this drug case?

Either way, I don't think it makes his statement any less dubious.
Look what happened with Lance and his Tour "wins". Can any RD state that whoever wins their event, the result will stand the test of time? They can't say that unless he knows everyone who could win is clean or will never be found out if they're not.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:

http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/giro-ditalia/giro-director-uci-assured-us-froome-wouldnt-stripped-giro-win_464992

As of now he is assumed to be innocent, he has the legal right to race. My understanding Is that even if he is given a ban this result would stand. I tried to look up the specific rules and could not find them. This whole doping case is stupid and killing the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Lots of ways this Giro can go. The Froome vs Dumoulin thing is obvious, though I don't really know that either one has shown they're coming into this with great form. Lots of possibilities for who else could reveal themselves as contenders. Mitchelton-Scott have a few good cards to play, so does Astana. EF Education First - Drapac p/b Cannondale (had to write it all out) seem to be doing the opposite of what they did at the Vuelta (where they had Woods as a stage hunter, but switched into GC mode part way through), so he'll start with GC aspirations and switch to stage hunting if it's not looking good for him... the lack of TT mileage plays into his hands here (and against Froome and Dumoulin).

Lots of other exciting riders who can go for some stage wins, and of course, the Giro being the Giro, unexpected stuff will for sure happen. Should be great.

feel the same way about the favorites.......Sky still is built for GC support and loaded but otherwise I'm not seeing any clear cut power team.......BMC looks good for Dennis who is reinventing himself as a GC guy but that's a big ask.........QS will ride for Viviani otherwise it's Grupetto time..i think after the first week it will be wide open and cray cray like a good Giro should be.....the favorite guy who stays upright and out of snow banks and who doesn't get busted for some wacky Italian racing behavior or have to take a dump at the wrong momento will have an opportunity to podium.....humbly submitted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

As of now he is assumed to be innocent, he has the legal right to race. My understanding Is that even if he is given a ban this result would stand. I tried to look up the specific rules and could not find them. This whole doping case is stupid and killing the sport.

I'm not so bothered that he's allowed to race while his case is being worked out. I think it's pretty shady though that this case may not be resolved until the time that best fits the UCI's timeline...

“As for what could happen during the Giro, or the possibility that a decision is made on Froome’s case during the Giro, I also spoke with president Lappartient and he said it was not possible before the Giro and unlikely also before the Tour” de France."

Should Froome win both the Giro and TdF...and decide to go superhuman for the Vuelta as well...anyone want to bet that the decision gets pushed back to mid September? And if there is a suspension...it's 6 months where Froome can start racing again in mid March?

Not that I really care. I'm actually glad the UCI is being shady for my own entertainment purposes...but it's still shady.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The penultimate stage is going to be epic. The climb from aosta up to cervinia is amazing and the road is in just diabolical condition

It's still snowing there. Has been all week and the videography if it is clear could be spectacular as there will still be skiing and the view of the matterhorn on the climb is incredible

It will be a terrible night for the teams as they will need to clean, pack and then drive to time overnight...........
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
I just created my velogames.com team

Looks like the Slowtwitch league from last year is still there.

League Code: 521835710

good on ya Chris, I'm gonna pick my team today

The Giro is usually the most entertaining of the GTs.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
It’s GT time. Seems pretty wide open, what with Tom “Wait Up” Domoulin just rounding into form and Chris “Weezer” Froome looking less like a super freak. Expect the unexpected at the Giro. Snow, dysentery in the ranks, podium babes who don’t mind being called podium babes, it has it all. Abondanza.
Let’s chop it up.

Jimmaaayyyy, thanks for starting this. Surprised you can do something productive after those binge drinking sessions with Bunk :)

All jest aside (that was alluding to the Wire above), this should be a good one

Are we even certain that it would be Froome v Domoulin? There's also Nibali, and of course, Chavez. I really hope Chavez do well here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

As of now he is assumed to be innocent, he has the legal right to race. My understanding Is that even if he is given a ban this result would stand. I tried to look up the specific rules and could not find them. This whole doping case is stupid and killing the sport.[/quote

The UCI tweeted later, that "they are not in a position make that call", it's complicated.
https://cyclingtips.com/...o-result-will-stand/

It comes down to the UCI anti-doping tribunal in concert with WADA rules.

I predict Froome will be stripped of his Vuelta result, and be given a 6 month back dated suspension

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
It’s GT time. Seems pretty wide open, what with Tom “Wait Up” Domoulin just rounding into form and Chris “Weezer” Froome looking less like a super freak. Expect the unexpected at the Giro. Snow, dysentery in the ranks, podium babes who don’t mind being called podium babes, it has it all. Abondanza.
Let’s chop it up.

Jimmaaayyyy, thanks for starting this. Surprised you can do something productive after those binge drinking sessions with Bunk :)

All jest aside (that was alluding to the Wire above), this should be a good one

Are we even certain that it would be Froome v Domoulin? There's also Nibali, and of course, Chavez. I really hope Chavez do well here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in for Chavez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tommy D!

impressive he went as fast as Dennis

also, made a mistake above. It's Nibali's brother, not il Squalo himself, who's at this race
Last edited by: echappist: May 4, 18 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Tommy D!

also, made a mistake above. It's Nibali's brother, not il Squalo himself, who's at this race

dayum................i went with RO RO.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
Tommy D!

dayum................i went with RO RO.......

Little guys ballin' in the short TT! Pozzovivo, Yates!
Quote Reply

Prev Next