Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be epic with storms at the finish and slick descents. Might break up well before they even hit the base of the Zonc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Holy hell, Bernal.

Had McNulty not flatted yesterday he’d be sniffing GC podium. Nice guy, massive, massive potential.

Toms with KOM!

Tejay did what he could do and then McNulty and others all descended with him. What was impressive is that the heavy chase group didn't put a dent into Bernal on the descent. Bernal killed it all the way down, maybe even added to his minute plus. Sky has a full stable.

On the Zonc today! The question is, Who will bonk on the Zonc?

I'm getting the impression that Froome is not going to fade. I think he makes at least a charge at a spot. TD hangs close, per usual. I think Formolo goes well again and Carapaz and Lopez too.

Pulling for Chaves to bounce back. He's up front with the team now but 120k to go.

which means he at least got over the first climb, which is quite nasty. where do they find all these climbs that average over 10%?

i think the Zoncolan might actually suit Dumoulin, assuming he has the right cassette. constant, non-relenting climbing at high gradient means people can't just ping off the front, as there's no respite. ergo, "slow" and steady win the day
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Holy hell, Bernal.

Had McNulty not flatted yesterday he’d be sniffing GC podium. Nice guy, massive, massive potential.

Toms with KOM!

Tejay did what he could do and then McNulty and others all descended with him. What was impressive is that the heavy chase group didn't put a dent into Bernal on the descent. Bernal killed it all the way down, maybe even added to his minute plus. Sky has a full stable.

I'm getting the impression that Froome is not going to fade. I think he makes at least a charge at a spot. TD hangs close, per usual. I think Formolo goes well again and Carapaz and Lopez too.

Pulling for Chaves to bounce back. He's up front with the team now but 120k to go.

which means he at least got over the first climb, which is quite nasty. where do they find all these climbs that average over 10%?

i think the Zoncolan might actually suit Dumoulin, assuming he has the right cassette. constant, non-relenting climbing at high gradient means people can't just ping off the front, as there's no respite. ergo, "slow" and steady win the day

I agree with that if it's wet. He'll stay in the saddle and pound away, as will Froome. The lighter punchy Purito types won't be able to pop out of the saddle and bolt without risking spinning out. Pinot, even though he's on McNulty's team, Good Police, I see as being the desgnated bonk today. Something about that boy ain't quite right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I agree with that if it's wet. He'll stay in the saddle and pound away, as will Froome. The lighter punchy Purito types won't be able to pop out of the saddle and bolt without risking spinning out. Pinot, even though he's on McNulty's team, Good Police, I see as being the desgnated bonk today. Something about that boy ain't quite right.

I'll go with the opposite. I'll predict somewhat status quo and we'll see Yates and Pozzovivo punch free over the last few km. But they won't get too far from TD. There is no magic: Froome will fade again.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Viviani looks like Big Head on Silicon Valley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Holy hell, Bernal.

Toms with KOM!

Change the thread title for today to: "Europe's toughest climb....Zoncolan Blowups at Giro TODAY"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly no place for Froome or anyone else having a bad day to hide. I’m more in the camp that a few are together behind a non-GC guy who throws a Hail Mary and clips off the front.

Have to leave for a Grasshopper in 45 min right when it will start going down. Arrg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote] There is no magic: Froome will fade again.[/quote]

Sky has a TUE for magic.
Last edited by: McNulty: May 19, 18 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sky has a TUE for magic.

Sigh. At least he didn't exactly blow up GC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Quote:
Sky has a TUE for magic.

Sigh. At least he didn't exactly blow up GC.

It ain't over till it is over.

The magic continues!!!! Go Froome :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first thought Froome rides himself fit for week three and the Giro-Tour double. But after five stages it was clear to me that he will just call it a giro and head out the back door. Now I am again in theorie 1, but I guess Yates is in too much of a monster shape and Dumoulin doing too good in the mountains that he won't compete for the win. But the podium is now a real option.

Man, can keep Yates his level that high for another week? I guess he doesn't even need to keep it that sharp but rather avoid blowing up. Dumouli is lurking but at the moment Yates looks so fricking strong.

(And what was that from Poels in the first half of the mountain? He looked as if he could ramp it up at least two gears any moment. And then he was suddendly gone.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yates still looks strong. He's now got 32 seconds worth of time bonuses accumulated. He's also got a 4th and 5th place finish in stages. Froome looking strong now makes the GC race a lot more interesting. Not that I think he can still win, but if he sends the Sky train to the front tomorrow, it could make tomorrow's stage a lot harder than it was already going to be. Could also increase the chances that the break is brought back and time bonuses are in play for the GC.

Dumoulin did well all things considered. But at this point I believe he has to hope Yates fades in week 3. I don't see how he can gain back enough time in the TT while surviving stages 18-20 the way Yates is riding now. There is also a pretty good battle for the remaining spot on the podium brewing. Froome's going to gain some time on Pozzovivo and Pinot in the TT...so they're sitting about even right now.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I first thought Froome rides himself fit for week three and the Giro-Tour double. But after five stages it was clear to me that he will just call it a giro and head out the back door. Now I am again in theorie 1, but I guess Yates is in too much of a monster shape and Dumoulin doing too good in the mountains that he won't compete for the win. But the podium is now a real option.

Man, can keep Yates his level that high for another week? I guess he doesn't even need to keep it that sharp but rather avoid blowing up. Dumouli is lurking but at the moment Yates looks so fricking strong.

(And what was that from Poels in the first half of the mountain? He looked as if he could ramp it up at least two gears any moment. And then he was suddendly gone.

Froome is till in striking distance for the win. A Yates and Dumoulin bonk or crash and he's there. It ain't over.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Froome is till in striking distance for the win. A Yates and Dumoulin bonk or crash and he's there. It ain't over.

Indeed, this could be an absolute classic after that showing from Froome.

Yates still needs to attack in the mountains, but now Sky well may go all out for Froome.

That stage today though... the cameras on TV don't do it justice, but the profile is eye-watering, and the speed they go up it is bonkers. They're not spending 2mins at 15%, they're spending 30min. It's amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Quote:
There is no magic: Froome will fade again.

Sky has a TUE for magic.

He went up the Z faster than Basso.

Those pillows in Ferrara must be something else.
Last edited by: jdw: May 19, 18 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdw wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Quote:

Sky has a TUE for magic.

Hey hey, let's not let any logic get in the way of the show. If we used the same logic for NFL we would never watch the Pharma-circus
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdw wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Quote:

Sky has a TUE for magic.

Where did you get the Zoncolan times (both for the guys yesterday and Basso). I'd be interested in seeing them all tabulated.

Today's stage is not a cakewalk. They are going through Cortina d'Ampezzo, so through the same roads that I saw the Giro on in 1985. if you are a downhill skier or a downhill ski fan, they are close to the world cup mountains in Val Gardena and Cortina.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Indeed, this could be an absolute classic after that showing from Froome.

Yates still needs to attack in the mountains, but now Sky well may go all out for Froome.

That stage today though... the cameras on TV don't do it justice, but the profile is eye-watering, and the speed they go up it is bonkers. They're not spending 2mins at 15%, they're spending 30min. It's amazing.

I was at a swim meet during the day and watched it several times later. At this point below, after Michael Woods attacked and everyone was on the rivet following Pouls the funniest part is that the peloton could not even drop the guy in the dinosaur suit, so Froome had to punch him to finally drop him

Eddy Merckx and Bernard Hinault approve of this type of "boss" like gesture to protect the rest of his fellow riders LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pissing rain pulling out of Cortina on the way up to the first major cllimb. Typical miserable spring day in the Dolomites. Advantage in the colder temp goes to the bigger riders who will freeze less on the descent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woods decides to attack early again, trying to bridge up to the leaders. In the process he puts a bunch of the GC guys in a bit of distress
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 20, 18 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably suits Dumoulin who is both bigger and grew up in northern Europe. Froome doesn't like the cold and wet, and given his crashes earlier in the race imagine he'll be a bit nervous on the wet tarmac. Yates should be OK, smaller guy but they get plenty of cold and rain in Manchester!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Woods fan. The only Canadian to ever run a sub 4 minute mile- in Canada. But his Prefontaine stuff yesterday was ill advised. and he admitted as much. Got too excited. He's learning. I wish he were 24.

Love this Ciccione kid. He'll be like the Jeffersons soon, movin' on up.

Seeing guys pop and really suffer to finish is a good sign. It's natural. Hate it for them, but ya know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Seeing guys pop and really suffer to finish is a good sign. It's natural. Hate it for them, but ya know.

Poor Aru, waving away the camera bikes to not record his misery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Poor Aru, waving away the camera bikes to not record his misery.

yeah, sucks that they do that.....................TD is hurting.....i
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome hurting more, paying for yesterday's effort. Yates crushing it again!
Quote Reply

Prev Next