Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Killer finish all around. Denz had the preferable position, but I was very happy to see Matej hold on!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
No fan of Sky but that’s the smart play. Bit of a turn of affairs today.

Doesn't really help Sky's GC chances, though. Yates picked up 3 seconds because the break was caught. And now that Chaves is 15 minutes down, he'll get some leash to get in breaks. (assuming Chaves can recover from the effects of his TvG-style rest day). Very weird to struggle so early in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It certainly helps a bit. Not that I really think Froome has much of a chance left, but they have at least eliminated another GC contender. Chaves struggles were interesting. I don't recall him having issues like this after a rest day. I'll be interested to find out the back story on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pollen/asthma is what's being blamed
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I saw Chaves interviewed at the end of the stage and he mentioned not having the strength to follow the others on the opening climb. No mention from him about pollen issues, though his director sportif did mention the high pollen count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Doesn't really help Sky's GC chances, though. Yates picked up 3 seconds because the break was caught. And now that Chaves is 15 minutes down, he'll get some leash to get in breaks. (assuming Chaves can recover from the effects of his TvG-style rest day). Very weird to struggle so early in the day.

In fairness to Sky, and I don't really want to be, other teams helped. I was really looking to see that break group interact.

Chaves is free now to start shit and this changes how he rides with Yates. No questioning roles. Chaves can cut loose and/or shepherd Yates when Kreuziger drops off. I don't see how this is bad for M Scott. Hope he bounces back.

Meanwhile other guys move up. How about Maxie Schachmann only 3:40 down? Joe D. 30 mins down, 47th with the bigger climbs to come. Movin' on up.......
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

In fairness to Sky, and I don't really want to be, other teams helped. I was really looking to see that break group interact.

Chaves is free now to start shit and this changes how he rides with Yates. No questioning roles. Chaves can cut loose and/or shepherd Yates when Kreuziger drops off. I don't see how this is bad for M Scott. Hope he bounces back.

Meanwhile other guys move up. How about Maxie Schachmann only 3:40 down? Joe D. 30 mins down, 47th with the bigger climbs to come. Movin' on up.......

WTF....I go off the internet for 4 hrs (well the sport channel on the internet, I guess i was on work channels) and Chavez plummets to the floor. I guess this gives Scott a hand to play now sending Chavez up the road stage hunting with an option to drop back and pick up Yates if need be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mohoric, Meintjes, Ewan, and Yates.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! I remembered Mohoric winning, but sure as hell didn't remember 2, 3, and 4. All very different riders, and all very talented.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

WTF....I go off the internet for 4 hrs (well the sport channel on the internet, I guess i was on work channels) and Chavez plummets to the floor. I guess this gives Scott a hand to play now sending Chavez up the road stage hunting with an option to drop back and pick up Yates if need be.
I reckon MS would have preferred to have Yates and Chaves at #1 and #2 as it would have let them push more work to the other GC teams. With Yates in Pink and Chaves within a minute, any Chaves attack would have to be chased by the other GC contenders and Yates could sit in for an easier ride.
With Chaves way back now, it gives him freedom to get away for stage wins or to assist Yates later in a stage but doesn't allow the same 2 way division of labour option.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's stage is one for a strong break maybe. It's not an easy stage. You definitely can't be Assisi........
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe ir was all planned by the Yates/Chaves team.

Look where Yates is now. Fresh because he did not have something to do yesterday. The same for his teammates. The others (sky etc.) had to work hard for 244 km to gain time on Chaves, but maybe Chaves laughed secretly, bacause it was all an evil plan. Chaves had an easy day and can become a first quality helper for Yates. There is only one pink jersey isn't there?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Maybe ir was all planned by the Yates/Chaves team.

Look where Yates is now. Fresh because he did not have something to do yesterday. The same for his teammates. The others (sky etc.) had to work hard for 244 km to gain time on Chaves, but maybe Chaves laughed secretly, bacause it was all an evil plan. Chaves had an easy day and can become a first quality helper for Yates. There is only one pink jersey isn't there?

Nice theory, but you just don't give up 2nd GC when Yates could go down at any moment due to 100 different reasons...crash, mechanical, flu, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In an unrelated note and @ Carl Spackler, did Tom Skujins hint at his plans when you interviewed him? What a helluva ride, and takes cojones to do an aero tuck down the Laguna Seca corkscrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And his celebration across the line was spectacular as well. Toms seems like a great guy and kudos to him on the win after last years unfortunate exit from the TOC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insane finish today. What an incredible finish from Yates once again. I am starting to think that he is going to have enough time to hold of Tom D even with the expected losses in the stage 16 TT. Can't wait to see stage 14 & 15 in the mountains. I think Yates gets 1-2 minutes there. What I'm very curious about is how everyone responds after those mountain stages and the rest day before the TT. Should be fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did, called this stage out and described how to win out of a break. Exchanged some messages with him last night, such a good dude and awesome day for him.

Love the Giro for stages like today. Everyone’s thinking about Saturday when these intermediate stages are so unpredictable. Yates is starting to look dominant, though good to see TD seemingly on way up too. He just can’t afford t9 give up any more time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
And his celebration across the line was spectacular as well. Toms seems like a great guy and kudos to him on the win after last years unfortunate exit from the TOC.

I don't know if I was clenching my cheeks more when he was doing the tuck down the Corkscrew or if he started celebrating with 150m to go, the latter b/c he looked a bit wobbly posting up due to the wind, and anything untoward would have been cruel after all that effort
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Sagan rolled to front at top of Corkscrew I knew he had it, with the group not wanting to take him to line.

Tell you want: it’s easy to hit 50mph in the drops going down it. Doing so in a Superman takes stones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I don't know if I was clenching my cheeks more when he was doing the tuck down the Corkscrew or if he started celebrating with 150m to go, the latter b/c he looked a bit wobbly posting up due to the wind, and anything untoward would have been cruel after all that effort

Agreed on all counts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

To be fair he was handed that stage in a gift basket, zero effort in the chase. Sky was uninterested, EQS disappeared, and MS did not want to pull Sagan.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was obvious by how hard they went, and reduced peloton, that this was a gift <roll eyes>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Insane finish today. What an incredible finish from Yates once again. I am starting to think that he is going to have enough time to hold of Tom D even with the expected losses in the stage 16 TT. Can't wait to see stage 14 & 15 in the mountains. I think Yates gets 1-2 minutes there. What I'm very curious about is how everyone responds after those mountain stages and the rest day before the TT. Should be fun!

I sure hope Yates can hold it together. Relatively speaking, we're only about 10-15% done with the tour in terms of getting through the stages that you expect to see the biggest GC blows being thrown. He's burned a lot of matches so far, but at least his moves have been efficient in gaining time gaps and time bonuses...so as long as he doesn't crumble later...he's used those matches wisely thus far.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will see about Yates. I just saw he averaged 560W over the span of that last attack. Pretty decent for a man his size ;)

Now time to quit posting. Time to spectate a TT.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am hugely impressed with Domoulin........he's the man on all but the steepest grades.....in a weird way, this can get in Yates' head later on
Last edited by: McNulty: May 16, 18 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with most of this. It looked to me like Sagan didn't want to pull everyone, only to end up not catching them anyway. The peloton was already reduced as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next