Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mdfletcher,

Ah, I've been there myself! 3T recommends you ensure a minimum 40mm insertion inside the extension nut.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Damon--

Quick query regarding sizing for you. My arm pad stack/reach measurement numbers come out as 617/506. This figure puts me on the upper margin of the 54, and the middle of the range on the 56, both with the Low bar. (Interesting to note that otherwise, I don't appear in either range on the X-Low or High V bar).

Assuming that the 56 gives me a bit more in terms of fit adjustment at a later point in time?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi rrheisler,

Good read on the P5 fit chart. Like most folks, you can fit on more than one size. I even see you're within a few millimeters of fitting on a 51 with the High-V, but let's focus on the two sizes you're considering: 54 and 56.

On the 54, you'd use the Low bar and about 35mm of AeroMatched fork spacers under the stem. Arm pads in the forward position.
On the 56, you'd use the Low bar and about 15mm of AeroMatched fork spacers under the stem. Arm pads in the middle position.

With the 54, you'd have the possibility to drop your arm pads by as much as 35mm, if you don't think you'll need much longer reach.
With the 56, there's only room to reduce stack by 15mm, but you could increase or decrease reach by 25mm, by installing the arm pads in the forward or rearward position.

So it depends on which direction you anticipate moving.

On any size, once the Aduro is installed and the fork is cut, the only way to increase stack is with arm pad spacers (or a new fork). Typically up to 20mm or so works well, then you leave the extensions behind by a bit more than most folks are willing to do.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon--

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't think I'll be moving much lower, seeing as that fit position runs a cartoonish 21.7 cm worth of drop. 13 degree back angle. jackmott should be proud.

Think that the armpad reach is a bigger deal. Makes more sense, IMO, to be looking at the 56. (Although rolling up on a 51 would probably be worth it just from a crowd-reaction standpoint...)

Many thanks again.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mine mounted on the side of the stem, in the wind shadow of the base bars (Damon suggested this somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember if it was in a whitepaper, the Cervelo site, or on ST). I took a punch and shifted the holes in the Stealth bag back about 5mm. Allows plenty of room for the cables and doesn't substantially affect the placement of the xlab.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking to perhaps purchase the Scicon Aerotech Evolution TSA bike box. Twisting the handlebar is great for that box, but it does not work with the P5. Does anyone have experience with this box? Is the dismantling and building a great effort? Thanks for the answers!

Best,
K
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [RaCeMaStEr_09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that box, have traveled with a p3, now own a p5, (not flown with p5 yet) I ride a 56, smaller sizes maybe easier, but, I had to take the aerobar off the steerer to get my p3 in there, might be because I ran short cables and minimum bend radius's, I think with the p5, I will need to remove the front brake and fork to get in that case. There is a TT soft version with videos on you tube of van lierde not even removing aero bar or seat post, I wouldn't trust that flying, but I am paranoid at times and am convinced the TSA and airlines hate the fact that we get our money's worth flying by stuffing as much as we can in the bike box...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Can you please see my question below regarding the Scicon Aerotech Evolution TSA box. Is it a complicated tear down to pack the P5 Six? Or would the bike perhaps fit once the extenders are removed? Do you guys have some experience with this box or with athletes already using it?

Cheers,
Kris
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question about the "bridge mount" on the Aduro bar - does it need to be installed, or can the arm pads be mounted directly on the bar? Does it serve a structural or aerodynamic purpose? I was taking things apart to clean and just wondering if leaving it off could allow a couple more mm of drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Kris,

Actually, I'm hoping other STers might give their thoughts, as we've not used that bag.

We've traveled with P5s mainly using the Serfas hard case. Freddy uses SciCon's Aerocomfort Triathlon bag:
http://www.sciconbags.com/...mfort-triathlon.html

Of course, there's risk of damage with any travel situation.

Edited to add: Almost forgot we have photos showing how we've packed the P5: http://www.cervelo.com/...do-i-pack-my-p5.html

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Nov 22, 13 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jmhtx,

The bridge is only needed if you want to use it as a mount for e.g. a BTA bottle. Otherwise it's perfectly okay to leave it off.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a new Tri specific AeroComfort bag that will require absolutely no dismantling of your P5 (other than removing the wheels) and the new improved design protects the bar extensions better than the current one. I cannot wait to get one!

Cheers,
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Eric Olson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The campy "u-brake" center pull will work at rear of P5 - I've set my P5 with this brake - but I'm not that happy with the 'stopping power' due to the way I had to have the cable going to the brake - mechanic that I trust at the LBS said it is set up as best as possible with current brake - I've ordered a TRP 925.1R which cervelo's support center said fits in the rear quite well - still waiting for its arrival in mail
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon,

I can't thank you enough for all your support here. If you are ever in San Diego on vacation or work would love to buy you glass of wine or quality pint. Worst case a lunch if you don't drink.

I was good on the 4cm...

Hopefully one of my last questions:

I assume to get the junction box in the stem it needs to be forward, not in the rear, I had to use the 10mm bolts to clear the junction boxk which I think have more than enough engagement but very different from the instructions with the super long bolts which I cannot understand. Any reason to have the bolts go past the threading?

I had to remove 1 of the bb cups to route the rear brake cable. Are there any tricks to get the rear brake hose in without removing the bb dust cover between cups?

FYI, I was about 10mm taller than your chart shows (from my p3 classic with brezza ii measurements) with the retul fitting, in other words I had to drop 10mm from the number of spacers in your chart to get all the numbers in range, could be the Adamo, I will put some training wheels back on the old bike and re measure just to compare.

It was a but heavier than i expected, my p5 6 di2 assembled is 19lbs 7oz with zipp 808 tubulars and conti comp 22mm tires, non aero rotor 3d+, aero q rings, no junk installed. I think it's a lb heavier than my p3c, granted much more bike, aero covering, non duraace chain and casette,. Not complaining just a little surprised. My wife's new 48cm p3 with 404 tubulars is 18 lbs even, which I was happy about. I didn't disassemble either enough to weigh the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm mostly convinced of upgrading my current P3 to a P5. My P3 wasn't the correct size and the new geometry of the P3/P5 works with results of my recent fitting.

My question is regarding the non-UCI compliant fork that's offered on the P5-6. I've read what I thought were conflicting posts here. Can that fork only be used with the Aduro cockpit or will it work with other combos? And the brake shroud too? Thanks for the clarification.

Rob

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steerer tube is standard, you pur a normal stem hence other aero bar on it. The aduro is pretty cool, it was 12mm reach off in either direction of my current fit, but we have it worked out, I don't think the narrowness of the base bar will be as bad as I thought. It is a pain to get the rear hydro tube run with the bb in there. Probably not the speed per dollar value but it looks super cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Thanks alot for your answer!

For a start, I have just ordered a Serfas Bike Case. Does anyone have any experience with this box? I mean, it seems to me at this point, with the complexity of the P5 that there will for sure be some "significant" dismantling necessary. In that light, is doesn't it just make sense to find a middle ground between sizes and go for inexpensive (with good protection naturally).

I know it is dependent on my home mechanic here, but how difficult is it to take off the handlebar and lie it to the side inside the box? Again, I realize it is dependent from how much brake cable he used, but is there a min./max. brake cable length? Also, do the hydraulic brakes pose a problem for dismantling and packing?

Thanks again for ongoing answers.

Kris
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Mannykohli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Manny,

Thanks for confirming, yes the Campagnolo fits, but as you noticed the cable path isn't ideal. The TRP you've ordered (with the "R" sufffix) addresses that.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mdfletcher,

Thanks for the kind words! I don't drink, so it'll be a lunch if I make it there some day. :-)

As you suspect, there's no reason the bolts need to extend beyond the threaded inserts; the long length is only specified because those bolts are shared with the various optional configurations which would need the length. Do check to be sure you've engaged all the threads - if not, they can strip and release the extensions, leading to possible loss of control, injury or death. Sorry to sound like a lawyer there, but it's important.

The P5's weight is a bit higher (as you noticed) due to the increase in chord, especially at the head tube and seat tube, illustrated here:

Figure 12 on page 10 in the P5 Technical White Paper here: http://www.cervelo.com/...f-39946cd71205-0.pdf

We chose this increase to make the P5 the fastest tri bike we've ever tested, despite a handful more grams.

More chord, more surface area, more carbon = more weight...and more aero!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Nov 25, 13 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi rbrnut,

Glad the P5 fits you well.

The P5-Six fork, with its standard 1 1/8" steerer, works with any standard stem and bar. You can use virtually anything you like there.
The brake covers snap onto the any Magura RT series brakes (either RT8 and RT6), so you're good to go with those if you like. The tops are somewhat rounded, so it's not obvious the beard is missing. Which brings us to ...
The "beard," which is designed to attach to, and hang down from, the Aduro stem. Without the Aduro I don't see how you could attach the beard. So with any other bar, you'd miss the beard.

You can see all those parts pretty clearly in this shot:

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Nov 25, 13 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Kris,

We've been happy with the Serfas case, and I'm sure there are others equally good. When you get yours, have another look at how we pack the P5:
http://www.cervelo.com/...do-i-pack-my-p5.html

Yes, you'll disassemble a few more parts than with the SciCon Aerocomfort Tri bag. Choosing a hard case or soft bag is a personal decision. Might reflect something about people's different levels of risk tolerance, LOL!

Anyway, follow the steps outlined in the link, maybe get some hands-on advice from your Cervelo retailer, and practice until you're comfortable. You'll find the length of the hydraulic hose isn't important, since the fork is out of the way and lets the stem pivot easily. You'll see when you try it in person.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Nov 25, 13 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon - thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Definitely cleared it up for me. I echo the other's comments on this thread that I am really impressed with Cervelo's attention to customer service and your personal time and effort to support this forum. In a day when customer service is waning in most companies, this is a breath of fresh air. My P3 was my first Cervelo and based on this experience I would remain loyal to this brand. Thanks again.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks rbrnut, happy to help!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your geometry chart is correct, my 5mm spacer was not sitting on the anti rotation bolt properly. I hate to add to the incorrect myths on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon - my wife has suggested that a second career for me would be a "risk mitigation officer"! I don't have much risk tolerance, and couldn't stand the thought of some airline luggage dude crushing my bike in a soft case underneath a stack of overstuffed suitcases. And I'm a suitcase overstuffer extraordinaire, so I say that with a full appreciation for the weight of suitcases LOL.

You comment that the length of the hydraulic hose (or the shifter cables for that matter) isn't important, but I found that it was. I have the high-V and 2 1/2 spacers to get to the right height for me, and when packing the bike I wish I had about an extra 1/2 inch or so of cable so that I could orient the bars and the bike in the case, without mashing the spacers into the frame. It was a lot of twisting and testing and repositioning to get things just right, and then wrapping everything in bubble wrap and cloth to avoid any scratches. A bit of extra cable would have been helpful to permit me to lay things into the box neater with less fussing.

Risk/scratch mitigation!

Anyway, it's a pain. Love the bike - love it! But travelling and packing it...sheesh! :-)

Cheers,
Quote Reply

Prev Next