Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt AR [wpcouch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very excited about this new AR. I was surprised to see the very good numbers vs. the S5, which has up to this point been the benchmark for the AeroRoad category. It seems the whole key to the new AR's performance is the low drag when the wind is at an angle. Could it be that the cutout that looks so aero on the S5 is actually a hindrance at high yaw angles and only great head on?

Could it also be that Cervelo's downtube shape is getting a little old being based on a NACA shape? Don' know, but I bet there is some magic in Felt's shaping of that downtube.

SuperDave, I have a serious fit question - sorry if it has been asked before: I like to run my seat canted to the left a bit. Will this be possible with the new AR's post?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [natiedean24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo hasn't used NACA tubes for like 6 years or more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to beat up on you, but saying an air foil shape is getting old because it used a NACA air foil as a starting point is the equivalent of saying "Algebra is old and therefore we shouldn't use it while doing calculus anymore." NACA air foils are an idealized starting point. Like any other idealized concept they leave something to be desired when you start messing with the design parameters. Bike foils are designed for significantly lower speeds and higher yaw angles than anything created for aerospace (the last A in NACA). Could Felt have figured something out in the shaping that Cervelo didn't? Very possible. Could Felt be designing their foils/bikes to a different optimal yaw angle? Very possible and I would guess pretty likely. Variety is the spice of life and depending on what their white paper says the Felt could be a better choice for some athletes while the Cervelo for others. I am really happy about the clean lines and focus placed on ride, something the S5 has been disparaged quite a bit about. I'm less enthusiastic about the different frames for electronic and mechanical shifting but understand why they made those choices.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 >Bike foils are designed for significantly lower speeds and higher yaw angles

I might disagree with that last bit. Airplane stall pitch (AoA) at landing speeds can be pretty high...similar to the stall angles on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll concede that point if we can agree that is an edge case for airfoils, and not where they spend the most amount of their time operating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>I'll concede that point if we can agree that is an edge case for airfoils,

Not an edge case at all! Having sufficient lift on takeoff/landing is a core design parameter.

I think the point I'll concede is that usually the classic airfoil shape is altered on takeoff/landing with flaps to change the flight dynamics significantly. Maybe that'll be on the P6....speed-modulated airfoil shapes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

You guys are pushing me towards the AR5 rather than the alloy 15. Gloss red? C'mon! That flat black is overdone (likly because it looks good, and sells well), but I'm not sure I can do red.

Actually, it'll just give me a reason to build up another set of wheels to pop against the frame. My white spoke/red nipple x-lites would be perfect if they weren't useless aerodynamically. 2 suggestions, though: 1) make everything black on that bike white instead. and 2) tell me when and where I can pick it up.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I think the point I'll concede is that usually the classic airfoil shape is altered on takeoff/landing with flaps to change the flight dynamics significantly. Maybe that'll be on the P6....speed-modulated airfoil shapes.
Any chance that something with flexible trailing edges would be a gain at bike speeds? ;-)
I think it has some potential to extend stall angles, but maybe at too big a penalty at low yaws?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosferreiro wrote:
trail wrote:

Any chance that something with flexible trailing edges would be a gain at bike speeds? ;-)
I think it has some potential to extend stall angles, but maybe at too big a penalty at low yaws?

If it's flexible, you should be able to modulate your trailing edge to be neutral (or reasonably close thereto) at low yaw. There should be no penalty at these angles, though no benefit either. That'll be expensive as all hell to implement, though, unless it was manually operated by the rider. And then he's likely to get it wrong most of the time. That would result in a big penalty at all yaw.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen stuff with flexible trailing edges in aircraft research. Think really flexible, no manual control or settings involved.
You can easily try it yourself on a small scale - a flying wing paper plane with no vertical surface will be stable enough to fly. Take the same wing and tape a narrow strip of tissue paper along the trailing edge. Stable.

So. The flexible trailing edge does something to the airflow.
Can you use that in a useful way to improve bike drag? No idea. What kind of material, on what kind of rigid section would it need? No idea. Does it kill the airflow at low yaw? No idea... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably misstated about the type of shape for the Cervelo S5 - sorry. I am just noting that the shape of this new AR's downtube seems different - more blunt at the back and rounded (fat) at the sides. The cervelo seems more narrow and pointy at the back. I know for wheels we have seen where what was once convention (v shape) has now been replaced with a new paradigm of rounded. Wheels and frames are different for sure, but it seems knowledge is being gained about how to optimize performance when the air isn't from straight on.

Last edited by: natiedean24: Aug 30, 13 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well certainly the tube shapes are different to am extent and you are probably right that it has to do with crosswind drag. The question then becomes, what kind of yaw is right to design for? This might be less a question of who is right or wrong, but what they are trying to achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Routing the cables through the down tube for the mechanical versions might simplify wiring. But does SD or anybody else know what the drag penalty vs the electronic entry through the top tube?

Since the components are differently shaped, one might even rather ask: what is the difference in drag between a mechanical and electronic set-up?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:

Years of experience riding different bikes has proven to show ... for me, a zero degree post is the only "Realistic" option. The Specialized Romin saddle has a maximum adjustable of approximately 7.5cm of available rail (not including the amount taken up by the post).
A Thompson post is 4cm wide ... thus reducing the adjustment to 3.5cm of "Maximum" rail adjustment. If your clamp is half that width, I would have to wonder how that would effect the structural aspect of the saddle rails.
My saddle has just under 2cm (1.8 to be exact) of space behind the rails for forward adjustment (or a laid back post) and 1.5cm of post in front for forward adjustment.
With that said, it's not recommended to use the "Maximum rail extension of a saddle due to the stress put on the rails, it can also have an effect on the ride quality of the saddle since you are no longer getting as much damping from the rails since you are near the more vertical portion of the rails ... thus effecting ride quality.
Realistically you should be leaving at least .5cm of rail in front or behind the clamp mechanism.
Your post dimensions have 5cm of separation from rear position to the front ... most saddles are going to have 2.5cm of "Usable" adjustment ... if you are using a 1cm shorter clamp mechanism that moved to 3.5cm of usable adjustment ... if you are using 2cm wide clamp (again, I'd be worried about structural effects on the rails, especially for bigger riders like my self ... 190+ pounds in shape) that would give 4.5cm of adjustment ... still not enough rail adjustment to fit everybody as you suggest.
Basically, I don't need to see the bike to make a judgement as to whether it fit's or not ... without a zero degree post ... it won't. Experience and the math tells me so.
Quote:
The Foil is not a comparable bike to the AR and has the ability to be set up with a round post so you can run your beloved Thomson.

Ummm .... have you looked at the Foil? It has a "Propriety" seat post ... it's far from round, triangular would be a much better assessment of it's shape. It's an Aero bike and one of the top models ... hence the need for an aero seat post, not a round one.
Not knowing what your competition is doing makes me wonder a lot about whether you are just trying to sell a bike and if you actually know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Speaking of zero offset, have you seen the Velonews study on seatpost compliance and vibration absorption on different models and designs?

Yup ... seen it ... yet, running a wide rim (23 mm) and lowering your tire pressure by 5 psi or so will make a much bigger difference in ride quality. As it is, I'm just fine with the ride of my CAAD10 and Thompson zero degree post ... I just want to switch to an aero road bike down the road.

The reality is not every bike is going to fit everybody and trying to state that one will is, what I would consider, false advertisement ... hence the differences in geometries from manufacturer to manufacturer and why one bike will fit better than another. If you are a pro with long legs, long femurs, long arms and a short torso ... the number of bikes are going to be huge.

If however, you have short legs, short femurs, long arms and long torso ... that number drops substantially.

It's OK if your bike doesn't actually fit everybody ... not every bike will ... it's a beautiful bike that I'd love to own (if it had a zero degree post option) ... but as it stands, it won't fit. Such is life ... that's why there are other options out there.

I'm not sure how you can be certain you need a zero offset seatpost regardless of seat angle. I don't doubt your previous experience but I also doubt you've had much experience with the new AR. The UPPER clamp is very narrow, but the lower clamp of the seatpost which takes the bulk of the load when supporting the saddle rails is much wider and similar to the Thomson you have. You needn't be concerned with the integrity of the saddle rails using the AR seatpost clamp.

Of course I'm familiar with the Scott. I've spent time with the bike when it was first launched and we have a couple frames here at our R&D center. I have a few friends that race professionally on the road with it. Scott makes a seatpost clamp and shim arrangement that allows a round seatpost to be used for the bike. I think I spend a fair amount of time studying the competition but I'll admit I don't know every nuance of every brand. If you put torsional stiffness and low weight ahead of aerodynamics and comfort when considering your next bike purchase, the Foil is worthy of consideration. If running wider rims and tires and reducing tire pressure 5psi can help with comfort, can you point to a study that indicates how much it helps? Is it more than the seatpost compliance? Dropping tire pressure reduces the amplitude of the road imperfections but it also can hurt rolling resistance. With the AR, you can have both.

I'll assume you aren't interested in pursuing my offer to illustrate how the saddle position you prefer is possible to achieve on the new AR.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natiedean24 wrote:
I'm very excited about this new AR. I was surprised to see the very good numbers vs. the S5, which has up to this point been the benchmark for the AeroRoad category. It seems the whole key to the new AR's performance is the low drag when the wind is at an angle. Could it be that the cutout that looks so aero on the S5 is actually a hindrance at high yaw angles and only great head on?

Could it also be that Cervelo's downtube shape is getting a little old being based on a NACA shape? Don' know, but I bet there is some magic in Felt's shaping of that downtube.

SuperDave, I have a serious fit question - sorry if it has been asked before: I like to run my seat canted to the left a bit. Will this be possible with the new AR's post?

Thanks!

The AR has great low drag numbers at low yaw, just not quite as low as the S5 from -5/0/5 based on identical set ups although a much lower handlebar position is possible with the AR so if non-identical set ups were part of the aerodynamic development it may be possible to close the small gap here. We had to stack up the bars of the AR to reach the S5 position which added frontal area not required for function - just required for a fair apples to apples comparison.

Indeed we've got new tube cross sections - over a dozen of them actually and we've employed what we've learned here on both the AR and the IA.

The VM (variable mount) seatpost allows some small amount of rotational adjustment to the saddle.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
I'm not sure how you can be certain you need a zero offset seatpost regardless of seat angle. I don't doubt your previous experience but I also doubt you've had much experience with the new AR. The UPPER clamp is very narrow, but the lower clamp of the seatpost which takes the bulk of the load when supporting the saddle rails is much wider and similar to the Thomson you have. You needn't be concerned with the integrity of the saddle rails using the AR seatpost clamp.

Here is an image of my bike set up ... though the saddle is now about .5 cm farther back. The saddle is fairly centered on a 73.5 STA with zero degree post. Moving the clamp back 2.5 cm would not allow the saddle to fit on the bike ... moving the clamp 2.5 cm forward would not allow the saddle to fit on the bike.

If it did ... it would be at it's "Absolute" limit on the rails ... which if you look at a bike set up that way it means one of two things: 1) the bike fit is horrible or 2) you bought the wrong bike.

My knee sits just behind the pedal spindle with pedals level. The bars can actually be a bit lower, a -20 degree stem would fit better than the -17 I'm currently using. The bike set up is comfortable for 4+ hour rides, I can put out good power (FTP around 360 watts, 20 minute PR 393 watts) and have no ache's or pains while on the bike.

Basically ... I have a bike with the same STA as the new AR, a zero degree post and the saddle nearly in the middle of the rails for good fit. Moving the clamp forward or backward 2.5 cm would mess with my fit ... and thus "Not Fit".

Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Aug 31, 13 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi natiedean24,

Good to see the photos you posted, makes comparing shapes by eye easier.

However, I should point out that the down tube is far from the most important frame tube when it comes to frame drag. I'm not allowed to share more info than that, other than to say that much of the aero performance features on the S5 come from other tubes.

That said, it does help the S5 if all the bikes are wind tunnel tested with water bottles.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
natiedean24 wrote:

Thanks!

The AR has great low drag numbers at low yaw, just not quite as low as the S5 from -5/0/5 based on identical set ups although a much lower handlebar position is possible with the AR so if non-identical set ups were part of the aerodynamic development it may be possible to close the small gap here. We had to stack up the bars of the AR to reach the S5 position which added frontal area not required for function - just required for a fair apples to apples comparison.

Indeed we've got new tube cross sections - over a dozen of them actually and we've employed what we've learned here on both the AR and the IA.

The VM (variable mount) seatpost allows some small amount of rotational adjustment to the saddle.

-SD

Did the S5 in your testing have Vuka Sprint bars on it as well?

Oh, and I'm assuming the numbers used in the plots above are bike only...did you do any "rider on"/dummy measurements?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Not to beat up on you, but saying an air foil shape is getting old because it used a NACA air foil as a starting point is the equivalent of saying "Algebra is old and therefore we shouldn't use it while doing calculus anymore." NACA air foils are an idealized starting point. Like any other idealized concept they leave something to be desired when you start messing with the design parameters. Bike foils are designed for significantly lower speeds and higher yaw angles than anything created for aerospace (the last A in NACA). Could Felt have figured something out in the shaping that Cervelo didn't? Very possible. Could Felt be designing their foils/bikes to a different optimal yaw angle? Very possible and I would guess pretty likely. Variety is the spice of life and depending on what their white paper says the Felt could be a better choice for some athletes while the Cervelo for others. I am really happy about the clean lines and focus placed on ride, something the S5 has been disparaged quite a bit about. I'm less enthusiastic about the different frames for electronic and mechanical shifting but understand why they made those choices.

There aren't two different frames for electronic shifting and mechanical shifting, there is one frame that does BOTH: EPS, Di2, and Tiso as well as mechanically shifted groups. The bikes that come with electronic shifting (AR2, AR3 EPS) do not use the mechanical cable guides to save a bit of weight and improve aerodynamics, the AR FRD drops the mechanical cable routing option to meet our weight, stiffness, and aero benchmarks.

Two frame molds, both work with electronic systems.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a few photos of the AR15 from Eurobike:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in love.

You guys really hit it out of the park for 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I currently ride (rode, I just crashed it and look for a more aero replacement) a 52 cm Scott Addict, which is essentially identical to the Foil in geometry (the third black dot from left in the figure posted by cyclenutnz). In order to get the most similar reach and stack, I would choose either 51 or 54 cm, where the 51 would give most similar stack and 54 most similar reach.

Given that small adjustments can be made with different choices of spacers and stems: are there other considerations than fit that would distinguish different frame sizes? E.g. the smaller frame has a flatter steering tube angle (more similar to that of the Foil), how does that affect riding? And might it be that the smaller frame has different aero properties (compare 51 cm + 12 cm 6 degree stem versus 54 cm + 12 cm 10 degree stem, changing the position of the handlebar relative to steering tube)?

A related question is if there is some reason other than assumed body geometry that puts shorter cranks on the smaller frame, such as a different BB-drop? The 170 mm cranks would be short for me (175 cm tall, currently using 172.5 cranks, sometimes considering trying 175 again).

- - - - - - - - - - - -
The best beer is the one in front of you
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [falken_jansson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally better to get the frame where reach is closest to ideal, unless it would cause you to use an unsafe number of spacers.

But if it is just a question of 1 or 2 spacers, get the frame where reach is ideal for the handling you are used to.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your advice is good, but for a different reason: It is more difficult to experiment with reach, because you need to get a set of different stems that generally come in steps of 10 mm, whereas for the stack, there are cheap and thin spacers available for minor adjustments. But the visual appearance of the bike is important too... a -17 degree stem on a larger frame simply does not look as nice as a standard -6 degree stem on a smaller frame, in my view...

- - - - - - - - - - - -
The best beer is the one in front of you
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [falken_jansson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
falken_jansson wrote:
But the visual appearance of the bike is important too... a -17 degree stem on a larger frame simply does not look as nice as a standard -6 degree stem on a smaller frame, in my view...

I think a lot of people would disagree, given that a -17 stem will look close to "flat" (relative to the ground) on most bikes while a -6 will look angled up somewhat. And of course flat looks more pro ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next