Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt AR [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
How long are your rails on your saddle? How much adjustment range? Because I think what Dave is saying is that a zero offset would not gain any additional saddle positions compared to the offset design.

Look above...

Their seat post "Design" has a 5cm variance when turning it around ... not many saddles actually have a realistic 5cm worth of adjustment. The realistic amount of adjustment in a saddle is around 3cm (fore/aft) because you have to take into account the amount of room the clamp it's self takes up.

What you end up with in many cases is a saddle at it's "Absolute" ends of adjustment ... which may still result in an ill fitting bike.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Aug 25, 13 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are wrong, moat saddles more than bridge the gap.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Then what makes it a great crit bike? Just a bit being less expensive?

Cheap enough that you can crash it and not give a damn is a good rule of thumb for any bike racing, crit bike or not.

I think I've crashed twice in bike racing, once in a road race once in a crit...and I do as many or more crits...

Anyway I don't think there is really anything that makes a bike a better crit bike than a road race bike. Bunch of imagined handling differences mostly =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:

No I'm not

Both of my saddles that I use the most (Specialized Romin and Selle San Marco Aspide) have 3.5cm of for/aft adjustment using a Thompson zero degree post. That's "MAXIMUM" adjustment, which means my saddle would be at the farthest ends of the rails at maximum adjustment, which isn't recommended by the manufacturer.

Realistic adjustment amounts are in the 2.5cm range for most saddles when mounted.

Go measure your saddle and let me know if you have 5cm of adjustment ... not the total length of the rails, but the actual amount you can move it fore/aft while mounted ... I'd bet it's less than 5cm and the realistic amount of adjustment will be in the 2.5cm range.

Now ... if you are using a Tri saddle with extra long rails (Remember the AR is not a Tri bike, but a road bike) ... you might have a claim, but then you are using the wrong tool for the job.

The reality is having a zero degree "Option" would be far from redundant ... it's just much cheaper not to offer the option since they only have to make one seat post for every bike ... which is where the truth always is ... what's cheapest that works for "Most" people!

This is where I give Scott bicycles Kudos for offering two seat posts on the Foil ... One zero degree and the other 35mm set back. Even Specialized has the ability to go to a zero degree on their Venge.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Aug 25, 13 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

First of all, congratulations to SuperDave for what looks like a very nice bike.

Second, for what it's worth, the two position post on our Cervelo S5 has 40 mm between centers, and despite a short 33mm clamp length, there is still a position in between which "cannot" be reached with common saddles.

That's one reason we decided to introduce a single-position post that splits the difference.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most fork rake options of any carbon bike I know of but you couldn't do a 40mm for the 74deg HTA? :(
OTOH - I'm really pleased to see the smallest frame lose nearly 20mm of reach compared to the old AR - will make it an option for a few more people.
Certainly a size range that is inline with the majority of the competition:

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next year I'm going to be in the market for an aero road bike... and this one is on the short list. need to ride one and see if they feel ridiculously long like my F series though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
Next year I'm going to be in the market for an aero road bike... and this one is on the short list. need to ride one and see if they feel ridiculously long like my F series though.

I hope they do. I want a long bike. And low. And the 56 looks perfect for me from a stack perspective if I want to dual purpose this thing. Plus, I want the alloy version so I can travel with it and not worry about United destroying it. And it looks so much better than the other options with a horizontal TT, and no odd, kinked ST. Venge - ugly, S5 super ugly, Foil - meh... BMC and Giant are nice, but those are all plastic. Gimme me my metal. The wait for an English aero steel is too long.
Last edited by: xc800runner: Aug 26, 13 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting what a huge outlier Cervelo is on that chart.

but then again, really the difference is quite small, like just need 1 size smaller s5 with 1cm longer stem. heh

and then the Venge, seems utterly insane at smalll sizes!

Last edited by: jackmott: Aug 26, 13 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
but then again, really the difference is quite small, like just need 1 size smaller s5 with 1cm longer stem. heh
and then the Venge, seems utterly insane at smalll sizes!

It really isn't too hard to find a bike that fits if you have a 'race' position - minor variations in stem length or bar reach & spacers give lots of options.
I think Specialized size the small Tarmacs/Venge like that to create a 'need' for womens specific bikes...

Old AR had a similar issue - which is why it's so cool to see that the new one, apart from being lighter, stiffer, faster and more comfortable (according to Felt - but the claims make sense), will offer viable fit options for smaller riders (like the womens).
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

The Cervelo line screams "This one was designed by engineers" (with all the pluses and minuses that go along with it!)
Last edited by: asad137: Aug 26, 13 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess with the Venge there is a wide selection of stack heights for people who are a little bit, but not extremely short.

asad137 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

The Cervelo line screams "This one was designed by engineers" (with all the pluses and minuses that go along with it!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave- I see the web site has been updated...any word on the comparison white paper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great website..... doesn't work tho!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:
Great website..... doesn't work tho!

Works for me in firefox, chrome is having issues though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [wolfador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will DA framsets be available? Curous about a DA framset with the Bayonet 4 :-)

http://www.fraserbicycle.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Dave- I see the web site has been updated...any word on the comparison white paper?

It has nearly cleared the legal hurdles to be published. Hopefully by Interbike.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The most fork rake options of any carbon bike I know of but you couldn't do a 40mm for the 74deg HTA? :(
OTOH - I'm really pleased to see the smallest frame lose nearly 20mm of reach compared to the old AR - will make it an option for a few more people.
Certainly a size range that is inline with the majority of the competition:

Yes, we could have done a 40mm fork offset, we have 40mm offset on other models in our line but the AR does not require it, rather the resultant trail w/ 43mm helps with the huge size helping directional change with handlebar input - a requirement for a race-bred machine.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
asad137 wrote:
Um, I think what Dave was saying that all of the saddle positions available with a zero offset post can be accomplished with the seatpost that is available. If you can get the saddle in the same position as a zero offset position, why do you need zero offset?

That's not actually true.

On my current bike I have a 73.5 degree STA with a zero degree post. I have approximately 1.5 cm of saddle rail left (Specialized Romin saddle) before I'm at the "Absolute" limit of the rails and beyond the recommended settings of the saddle.

So ... regardless of saddle used, I wouldn't properly fit on the new AR ... and I would guess there are a fair amount of people that won't either. Shops will sell them to unknowing riders to make a sale because they love the looks of the bike, but you will find many on the market not long after it's initial release because they don't fit and there are no seat post options available.

The is the problem with the direction bikes are moving ... it's all propriety design ... so aftermarket items that will help a bike fit better are falling by the wayside ... I'm guessing in part by design ... it's "You buy our bike and only parts from us ... or you don't get anything". Or other manufacturers step in, but it's costs huge sums of money to purchase the part unlike old seat posts.

With this in mind ... I'll never buy a "Super bike" again that has an integrated front end because of the limitations is creates on fit ... and if one part breaks, you have to replace everything instead of separate parts.

If you'd like to send me your fit dimensions, a photo, and the rail length of the saddle you're using I can verify the position can be replicated. Give me your best guess on frame size, too.
One thing to note is the upper clamp has a very narrow cross section (like old American classic posts) that allows more adjustment because the upper clamp width is reduced.

-Dave

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [PPI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PPI wrote:
Will DA framsets be available? Curous about a DA framset with the Bayonet 4 :-)

The DA frameset won't make it to market in 2014 thus it will not be offered with a Bayonet4.
-Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
Runless wrote:

No I'm not

Both of my saddles that I use the most (Specialized Romin and Selle San Marco Aspide) have 3.5cm of for/aft adjustment using a Thompson zero degree post. That's "MAXIMUM" adjustment, which means my saddle would be at the farthest ends of the rails at maximum adjustment, which isn't recommended by the manufacturer.

Realistic adjustment amounts are in the 2.5cm range for most saddles when mounted.

Go measure your saddle and let me know if you have 5cm of adjustment ... not the total length of the rails, but the actual amount you can move it fore/aft while mounted ... I'd bet it's less than 5cm and the realistic amount of adjustment will be in the 2.5cm range.

Now ... if you are using a Tri saddle with extra long rails (Remember the AR is not a Tri bike, but a road bike) ... you might have a claim, but then you are using the wrong tool for the job.

The reality is having a zero degree "Option" would be far from redundant ... it's just much cheaper not to offer the option since they only have to make one seat post for every bike ... which is where the truth always is ... what's cheapest that works for "Most" people!

This is where I give Scott bicycles Kudos for offering two seat posts on the Foil ... One zero degree and the other 35mm set back. Even Specialized has the ability to go to a zero degree on their Venge.

Thanks for the suggestion, if a zero offset post is needed, we'll make it. We make 3 different offset seatposts for the DA and B series range for example. As I offered before, the narrow clamp design (about 1/2 the Thomson width) and the saddle rail range allow the saddle in the furthest forward position on a rearward facing seatpost to match the saddle in the further rearward position on a forward facing seatpost.

It sounds like you are convinced it cannot be made to fit without having ever seen the bike or seatpost.
I'm convinced it will fit as I've suggested after setting the bike up for dozens of riders with specific saddle position requests and working with the frame and patented seatpost design for the last two years.

The Foil is not a comparable bike to the AR and has the ability to be set up with a round post so you can run your beloved Thomson.

Speaking of zero offset, have you seen the Velonews study on seatpost compliance and vibration absorption on different models and designs?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
It sounds like you are convinced it cannot be made to fit without having ever seen the bike or seatpost.
I'm convinced it will fit as I've suggested after setting the bike up for dozens of riders with specific saddle position requests and working with the frame and patented seatpost design for the last two years.
Quote:

Years of experience riding different bikes has proven to show ... for me, a zero degree post is the only "Realistic" option. The Specialized Romin saddle has a maximum adjustable of approximately 7.5cm of available rail (not including the amount taken up by the post).

A Thompson post is 4cm wide ... thus reducing the adjustment to 3.5cm of "Maximum" rail adjustment. If your clamp is half that width, I would have to wonder how that would effect the structural aspect of the saddle rails.

My saddle has just under 2cm (1.8 to be exact) of space behind the rails for forward adjustment (or a laid back post) and 1.5cm of post in front for forward adjustment.

With that said, it's not recommended to use the "Maximum rail extension of a saddle due to the stress put on the rails, it can also have an effect on the ride quality of the saddle since you are no longer getting as much damping from the rails since you are near the more vertical portion of the rails ... thus effecting ride quality.

Realistically you should be leaving at least .5cm of rail in front or behind the clamp mechanism.

Your post dimensions have 5cm of separation from rear position to the front ... most saddles are going to have 2.5cm of "Usable" adjustment ... if you are using a 1cm shorter clamp mechanism that moved to 3.5cm of usable adjustment ... if you are using 2cm wide clamp (again, I'd be worried about structural effects on the rails, especially for bigger riders like my self ... 190+ pounds in shape) that would give 4.5cm of adjustment ... still not enough rail adjustment to fit everybody as you suggest.

Basically, I don't need to see the bike to make a judgement as to whether it fit's or not ... without a zero degree post ... it won't. Experience and the math tells me so.

Quote:
The Foil is not a comparable bike to the AR and has the ability to be set up with a round post so you can run your beloved Thomson.

Ummm .... have you looked at the Foil? It has a "Propriety" seat post ... it's far from round, triangular would be a much better assessment of it's shape. It's an Aero bike and one of the top models ... hence the need for an aero seat post, not a round one.

Not knowing what your competition is doing makes me wonder a lot about whether you are just trying to sell a bike and if you actually know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Speaking of zero offset, have you seen the Velonews study on seatpost compliance and vibration absorption on different models and designs?

Yup ... seen it ... yet, running a wide rim (23 mm) and lowering your tire pressure by 5 psi or so will make a much bigger difference in ride quality. As it is, I'm just fine with the ride of my CAAD10 and Thompson zero degree post ... I just want to switch to an aero road bike down the road.

The reality is not every bike is going to fit everybody and trying to state that one will is, what I would consider, false advertisement ... hence the differences in geometries from manufacturer to manufacturer and why one bike will fit better than another. If you are a pro with long legs, long femurs, long arms and a short torso ... the number of bikes are going to be huge.

If however, you have short legs, short femurs, long arms and long torso ... that number drops substantially.

It's OK if your bike doesn't actually fit everybody ... not every bike will ... it's a beautiful bike that I'd love to own (if it had a zero degree post option) ... but as it stands, it won't fit. Such is life ... that's why there are other options out there.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Aug 29, 13 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wookie- I'm curious if Dave can make it work. If you tell him the distance between your bb and top of your saddle, how far back the nose of the saddle is from the bb in the horizontal plane he can measure it on a real bike and tell you if it will work or not. Measurements are better than experience and opinion any day of the week. Who knows, if your right Dave might just ask for a 0 post to be made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Dave was referring to the adapters that are available for the Scott Foil, that allow you to use a round seatpost, should you prefer.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...paris-roubaix/260620

Prev Next