Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Smallfurry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smallfurry wrote:
Probably the wrong thread. So sorry in advance. But I heard talk of a 5mm setback seatpost being availible for 2015. I am about to pre-order a 2015 AR1 frameset, and would much prefer the Shorter setback. Are these availible for order instead of the Stock 25mm? or will they need to be purchased additionally later? Thanks in advance for any help.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/...ts-for-felt-in-2015/

The frameset is already going to be packed and boxed with the stock seatpost. There is little chance your dealer will be able to make use of the production post.
The 5mm seatpost will be available for aftermarket purchase from January.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the ee brake - which model is this? Where does the barrel adjust sit (hoping it can be mounted on the TT cable . . . bit hard to reach under the BB while riding!
Last edited by: jackrobinson: Oct 19, 14 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Smallfurry wrote:
Probably the wrong thread. So sorry in advance. But I heard talk of a 5mm setback seatpost being availible for 2015. I am about to pre-order a 2015 AR1 frameset, and would much prefer the Shorter setback. Are these availible for order instead of the Stock 25mm? or will they need to be purchased additionally later? Thanks in advance for any help.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/...ts-for-felt-in-2015/

The frameset is already going to be packed and boxed with the stock seatpost. There is little chance your dealer will be able to make use of the production post.
The 5mm seatpost will be available for aftermarket purchase from January.

-Dave

Thanks for the helpful reply. I just had a reply from the dealer. The dealer simply said only the standard post was possible.

My saddle is currently slammed forward to the limit on a BMC streampost. Which fits perfectly, and doesnt look off. Thats with a 20mm setback BMC streampost. The seat tube angle of the AR1 is 0.5 degrees steeper. So in theory I'll be in much the same position with the AR1 25mm setback seatpost. Which is fine, and would also give more of a range when flipped for a triathlon set-up. Its just reassuring to know a 5mm setback option will be availible. Given that I seem to be near the limit.

Thanks again.

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jackrobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackrobinson wrote:
On the ee brake - which model is this? Where does the barrel adjust sit (hoping it can be mounted on the TT cable . . . bit hard to reach under the BB while riding!

This is the direct mount brake.
The adjuster is on the QR mounted betwixt the fixing bolts.
Why do you need the adjuster near the top tube?
Why (and how often) are you adjusting the brake whilst riding?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want to be able to open brakes in case wheel comes out of true during a race (not a rare thing, even with 'clydesdale' wheels).
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jackrobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackrobinson wrote:
Want to be able to open brakes in case wheel comes out of true during a race (not a rare thing, even with 'clydesdale' wheels).

Oh, I'm fortunate to have never had that experience. In the case of frequent adjustment needs, an inline adjuster can be mounted at the handlebar area.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

I've read many of the posts you have made, thanks for all of your comments.

On the subject of brakes, I am busy saving hard earned monies to get an AR FRD... one thing that worries me though is how long it will be before Felt brings out a Disk brake version? I am likely to keep the bike for a long time but don't want to get one only to find that super new disk braking wheels are available but I can't get them because my frame is old school.

I've heard (true or not?) that wheels can be significantly lighter with disk brakes and this may happen in the next 6 months.

I'd be grateful for your comments.

Heath68
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Heath68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heath68 wrote:
Hi Dave,

I've read many of the posts you have made, thanks for all of your comments.

On the subject of brakes, I am busy saving hard earned monies to get an AR FRD... one thing that worries me though is how long it will be before Felt brings out a Disk brake version? I am likely to keep the bike for a long time but don't want to get one only to find that super new disk braking wheels are available but I can't get them because my frame is old school.

I've heard (true or not?) that wheels can be significantly lighter with disk brakes and this may happen in the next 6 months.

I'd be grateful for your comments.

Heath68

Do you want disc brakes?

I do not anticipate disc brakes solving the objectives we've laid out for the engineering and design goals of the AR. A Z-series bike on the other hand may use disc brakes.
Certainly rims could get lighter, I don't know if I agree that wheels will come down in weight significantly.

Think of it this way, a set of Dura-Ace C24 carbon tubulars is ~1175g and a set of Zipp 404s is over 1700. Which would you rather have on your AR?

I don't think you'd see an AR with disc brakes for 5+ years until the industry can overcome the ~700g weight penalty and 60-220g aero deficit.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very excited to receive my 2015 AR5 I ordered- my LBS says they expect it by the end of the week.

I plan on using it mostly as a road bike, but one selling point was the variable seat post and I'm also planning on using it for sprint and maybe olympic triathlons. Any recommendation for clip on aerobars? Also I've noted that you recommend using round bottles on the seat tube. Is there a recommended aero water bottle that works particularly well on the AR, and would an aero bottle also be better on the seat tube, down tube, or no real difference?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Spillicus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spillicus wrote:
I'm very excited to receive my 2015 AR5 I ordered- my LBS says they expect it by the end of the week.

I plan on using it mostly as a road bike, but one selling point was the variable seat post and I'm also planning on using it for sprint and maybe olympic triathlons. Any recommendation for clip on aerobars? Also I've noted that you recommend using round bottles on the seat tube. Is there a recommended aero water bottle that works particularly well on the AR, and would an aero bottle also be better on the seat tube, down tube, or no real difference?

Thanks!

Congrats on the new bike. The AR5 is a bullet. For $2500 you get the same aerodynamics as the $2500 AR1 frameset with a complete group thrown in for free!
I like clip on bars that allow and under-bar extension mount and use pad risers and isolated aerobar pad mounts. I think the PROFILE T2/T3 bars can still do this. Felt's Bayonet3 clip on bars are also designed this way. The AR uses a head tube height that is appropriate for road race use but you might find it upright for an aerodynamic triathlon posture. Finding bars that allow the arm rests to be mounted flush with the top of the road bar will help getting the fit optimized for both road and tri.

I don't recommend round bottles if you want to get the most free speed. I recommend the Elite aero bottles. If you must use round, put the bottle on the seat tube. If you use two bottles, the frame accepts them of course.

For the clip on option, run a bottle between your arms and there is almost always no aero penalty.

Above all, post pix of your set up. I think the AR is too often overlooked as a capable multisport rig and regret not showcasing it in tri trim on web and catalog shoots.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Spillicus wrote:

Thanks!

Congrats on the new bike. The AR5 is a bullet. For $2500 you get the same aerodynamics as the $2500 AR1 frameset with a complete group thrown in for free!
I like clip on bars that allow and under-bar extension mount and use pad risers and isolated aerobar pad mounts. I think the PROFILE T2/T3 bars can still do this. Felt's Bayonet3 clip on bars are also designed this way. The AR uses a head tube height that is appropriate for road race use but you might find it upright for an aerodynamic triathlon posture. Finding bars that allow the arm rests to be mounted flush with the top of the road bar will help getting the fit optimized for both road and tri.

I don't recommend round bottles if you want to get the most free speed. I recommend the Elite aero bottles. If you must use round, put the bottle on the seat tube. If you use two bottles, the frame accepts them of course.

For the clip on option, run a bottle between your arms and there is almost always no aero penalty.

Above all, post pix of your set up. I think the AR is too often overlooked as a capable multisport rig and regret not showcasing it in tri trim on web and catalog shoots.

-SD

Thanks for the response. I think the AR5 looks like a smokin' deal- I considered the AR3 and while Ultegra is nice, the new 105 group looks almost as good, the cost difference is substantial, and the AR5 actually weighs less, at least according to the website. From what I can tell the AR5 saves cost by using more of the Felt branded components, correct? I'm sure they're great for the money and I'm coming from a 20 year old bike so I'm betting I'll feel like I'm on a rocket ship no matter who's name is on the stem.

I'll take a look at the Profile bars. Do you all sell the Bayonet3 as just a clip on bar? I don't think I see it online. It would be great to have that kind of thing listed as an accessory for the AR5 and linked on the bike's page, I bet budget racers like myself would bite.

I'll be sure to take some pictures of the setup both in road and tri forms. I scoured the web for pictures of an AR in tri configuration and didn't find any- I'm sort of going on faith that it will work out (and since it will be used 95% of the time as a road bike and I have no money for a dedicated tri bike, no real downside). It will probably be spring before I set it up that way though since I need to put some time between buying the bike and the other stuff- my wife is only so understanding. Of course if you want to send a set of the bayonet clip-ons my way to try out, I could get some pictures to you much more quickly :)

And thanks again for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My new ride- it's a beautiful bike! Of course it was snowing when I picked it up, figures.

2 rides so far and it's been absolutely great. The second was in some pretty high winds, so it did sail a bit.

There are plenty of hills around here, so I did have the 12-25 cassette swapped out for an 11-28, which is a great range with the 52/36 up front. I'm loving the 11-speed 105, but I'm coming from 1994 8-speed 105, so I'm probably pretty easy to please. It's amazing how far bikes have come in 20 years, this is better in so many ways.

Next I'll look for an aero bottle (just a single bottle on the seat tube right now- how much of a penalty is it, anybody know?), and early spring will put some aerobars on it, swap the seat around and run a tri.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Spillicus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My new Super Record Felt AR FRD

Much thanks to Super Dave and John at SunShine Cycles in Greenville SC[/img]
Last edited by: MaxApp: Jan 7, 15 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Dave,

I have for my girlfriend ordered a AR 3 (size48) and can you tell me when the smaller sizes are sent to Europe.(Netherlands ) .
She would very much like to go racing on it. Thank you for your response .

Sincerel, Dennis
Last edited by: dflorussen: Jan 29, 15 1:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi SD,

I just purchased a pre own 2014 ar1 frame and fork, no headset. From the threads I gleemed I'd need a 45degree angle campy headset so I purchased Ritchey Pro Logic Zero Integrated Drop-In 1 1/8" 41.8 OD Campagnolo Headset Road

Is this all I need? The lower bearing doesn't fit over the fork unless I'm doing something wrong.

Many thanks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

I agree, I think this potential was mostly missed by the Felt marketing arm.

https://www.facebook.com/...amp;relevant_count=1

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice looking ride!!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really nice setup!
I'll be doing a bike fit later this month where I'll be setting up my AR5 with an adamo attack and some clip-on aerobars, I'll take some pics after.

I think the AR is an awesome multitask bike. For end-users as me that will only do maybe a couple of non-draft legal each year and can't justify the buy of a TT bike, the AR is truly great.
I don't understand why Felt don't emphasis this more, as far as I know it's site doesn't even go into details of the reversible seatpost and the seat tube angles it'll provide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
Hi SD,
I just purchased a pre own 2014 ar1 frame and fork, no headset. From the threads I gleemed I'd need a 45degree angle campy headset so I purchased Ritchey Pro Logic Zero Integrated Drop-In 1 1/8" 41.8 OD Campagnolo Headset Road
Is this all I need? The lower bearing doesn't fit over the fork unless I'm doing something wrong.
Many thanks...

The ARs' AeroTaper steerer requires a 1.125" upper and 1.25" lower bearing. Your lower bearing is too small but save it for a spare upper for future service needs.
-Dave

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lsousa wrote:
Really nice setup!
I'll be doing a bike fit later this month where I'll be setting up my AR5 with an adamo attack and some clip-on aerobars, I'll take some pics after.

I think the AR is an awesome multitask bike. For end-users as me that will only do maybe a couple of non-draft legal each year and can't justify the buy of a TT bike, the AR is truly great.
I don't understand why Felt don't emphasis this more, as far as I know it's site doesn't even go into details of the reversible seatpost and the seat tube angles it'll provide.

Some details here under the AR tab.
https://www.feltbicycles.com/frd/
And dozens of online sources cite the presentation materials which included this:

and

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, that is a sweet bike.

are those Heds Plus rims? if so, what size tire are you running?

you can chime in too, SD. how big of a tire can this run?
[edit: you said you ran 25 mm tires on Sep 17, 2013, which i think was pre- Plus]

Last edited by: dsmallwood: Feb 18, 15 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, those are not the Plus rims, they are C2. Obviously, the 23mm tires on there are a fine fit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figured I'd throw my bike into the mix on this posting... Who doesn't want to hear nice things about their money pit of a bike after all right?!?!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [caamano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With that particular front wheel, the 700x23 GP4000s II is faster than than a narrower tire anyway (i.e. 700x20 SS)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80, sweet looking ride! How are you liking the Enve bars?

I guess I'll add my bicycle to the mix.

GP4000S 23mm measure out to 26.5-27mm on the Hed + rims, it's pretty awesome :) I'll probably grab a 25mm for the rear since there still seems to be plenty of clearance. The only annoying thing is that the rear hub axle ends don't have any knurling and slip in the dropouts as soon as you get out of the saddle. I added some skateboard grip tape over them as a fix, but still annoying that HED didn't see fit to add some texture (though it appears they have in the past and are now with the new black line)

Weight breakdown of everything
Quote Reply

Prev Next