Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt AR [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is sweet.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really is, you all did a phenomenal job on this frame!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if an AR3 EPS can be converted to mechanical with no issues? I've been eyeing one (frameset) on eBay and seller said his mechanic installed some type of cable housing stop for the front derailleur and that was all that had to be done to do a complete convert to mechanical. I have no reason to doubt the seller I just don't know enough to know whether it will cause issues or not. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I've only been able to ride indoors on the trainer since I've put them on but I will say I like the stem A LOT. It's beefy and thick and I don't feel any play when I really crank up the watts for short 5/10s efforts in my intervals. It's likely all in my head but whatever works right?

With regards to the bars themselves there were a few issues I had with them but I managed to work around them. I only have one issue left to fix and that's mounting my GoPro on the underside of the custom Garmin mount I purchased. Had the K-Edge combo mount and I'm hoping to find a means to attach it to the new one.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Fish1923] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the seller in New England?
SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, looks like he is in Vermont. Is this a good sign?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It only means I know who is selling it.

SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say it's a small world that you know but that's not the case with you... Looks like someone already grabbed it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fish1923 wrote:
I'd say it's a small world that you know but that's not the case with you... Looks like someone already grabbed it up.

Probably better for you in the long run. Take a look at the AR1 if you're running mechanical. The new race season is almost upon us so I'm sure some of the current 2014 AR1 owners will be off-loading their old race rig for the latest and greatest.
The other option is looking at the 2014 AR4/5 or 2015 AR3/5 complete bike. The most recent Tour magazine aero shootout shows just how good the AR3 is compared to AR FRD and everyone else's budget-aero attempt. The AR3/5 from 2015 and AR4/5 from 2014 are all the same frame from a material and aero standpoint. The ~250g weight difference is negligible in most circumstances and often the price difference allows you to make up that 250g by buying a lighter chain/cassette/bar/stem/crankset, etc.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was in the other thread but I figured I'd post it here. Tames less than 15 minutes to convert from road to full tri using di2 with brake/shift module and aero bar shifters. Swap out saddle, bar/stem module and run brake cables through shimano in line brake quick release for rear brakes.

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [chazmtb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chazmtb wrote:
This was in the other thread but I figured I'd post it here. Tames less than 15 minutes to convert from road to full tri using di2 with brake/shift module and aero bar shifters. Swap out saddle, bar/stem module and run brake cables through shimano in line brake quick release for rear brakes.

If you bought a 2nd front brake you could just unbolt the entire front caliper and leave it connected to the cockpit. The brake lever, cable, and housing would all remain intact on the caliper.
You're a powermeter away from the perfect 2:1 set up!

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response. Yes, I'm hopeful one will pop up. My local bike shop doesn't have any more 2014s left in stock but I haven't heard back if they'd be willing to strip a 2015 AR3/5 down and just sell the frameset yet. Thanks again for your contributions to the forums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fish1923 wrote:
Thank you for the response. Yes, I'm hopeful one will pop up. My local bike shop doesn't have any more 2014s left in stock but I haven't heard back if they'd be willing to strip a 2015 AR3/5 down and just sell the frameset yet. Thanks again for your contributions to the forums.

Where are you located?
-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [chazmtb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is exclusive to Felt. Seems like there are quite a few aero road bikes that you could do this with. BUT, since the best local wrench also is a felt dealer...this may be my next bike, and for this very reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to post my new build, came in at 15.94lbs with pedals and cages. FAST. Not as swift uphill as the Cervelo R5 it replaced and more quiet and smooth.

Zipp Aero 70 bars, mix of Ultegra and DA Di2. Zipp 303 with new Zipp Tangente Course tires.

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
Not as swift uphill as the Cervelo R5 it replaced and more quiet and smooth.

I find this curious, which climbs have you done with equal measured power and how much faster was the R5?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just from first ride today up Topanga canyon, a ride I have done 100s of times... The R5 seemed easier. The AR has it beat in pure speed and smoothness, plus it's so quiet. And pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the stiffness compaired?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Erockk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AR is 'tighter' or more taut feeling, but both respond well with each pedal stroke. The AD is just deal quiet and smooth and the geometry fits me better...could hold 90+ arms and felt super comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sexy machine. Is this a base model from another year? The black stickers and cable spot on the down tube seem different.
I love it.
waupaca11 wrote:
Have to post my new build, came in at 15.94lbs with pedals and cages. FAST. Not as swift uphill as the Cervelo R5 it replaced and more quiet and smooth.

Zipp Aero 70 bars, mix of Ultegra and DA Di2. Zipp 303 with new Zipp Tangente Course tires.

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it's the 2014 AR1 frame
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
Just from first ride today up Topanga canyon, a ride I have done 100s of times... The R5 seemed easier. The AR has it beat in pure speed and smoothness, plus it's so quiet. And pretty.

I had the same feeling on a local ~10 minute climb here on a road called Pacific Island Drive. I am a chubby guy and don't go uphill so fast. The climb's speed for me is ~12mph. The data suggests I am faster on my ~1100g AR1 frame than my 770g F1 at the same wattage. I also have a higher terminal velocity on the way down with the sit-on-top-tube-tuck-and-coast 55mph+ descent.

The F1 feels lively. It is lighter, but not faster.

I see you ride with a PM. I'd be eager to see the wattage/time differences on the climb up Topanga on the R5 vs. AR1.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting question SD,

I looked at 3 Strava rides and one segment to compare my recent AR1 ride, my IA1 ride and my last R5 ride up that area from Oct.

IA from last week 1.1 mi at 7% grade in 8:14

AVG MAX Speed 7.7mi/h 14.1mi/h Cadence 69 99 Heart Rate 168 bpm 173 bpm Power 254W 412 W VAM 880
Elev Gain 396ft

AR1 from this week 1.1mi at 7% grade in 8:23

AVG MAX Speed 7.6mi/h 10.7mi/h Cadence 69 100 Heart Rate 175 bpm 184 bpm Power 248W 416 W VAM 865
Elev Gain 396ft

And R5 from last Oct, 1.1mi @ 7% grade in 7:02

AVG MAX Speed 9.1mi/h 14.8mi/h Cadence 79 102 Heart Rate 181 bpm 187 bpm Power 285W 469 W VAM 1031
Elev Gain 396ft

All bikes are compact cranks with 11-25 cassettes. The R5 and AR share the same crank. I'm at the end of a marathon build so little biking last 4 months which has much to do with it. All in all, happy with the AR and the R5 will go on the classifieds.

On a side note I will have to PM you to facilitate some help on getting a replacement upper nose cone/ brake cover and flat stem for my 2015 IA1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a fast question...

I'm closing down the search for an 2015 Felt AR1 frameset. I want to buy the SRAM Rival 22 groupset separate.

Will it be plug and play or do I need additional parts apart from the frameset and the groupset? What to do with the bottom brake of the bike, is compatible with every brake or is it a special brake? What brake?

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next