Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt AR [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or if someone has them to sell to me so I can use my carbon saddles
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AR sleuths! I'm building my AR1, can someone confirm if indeed the rear brake cable housing runs right through the frameset entirely from the bottom of the downtube where it inserts up through the top tube to an inline adjuster? I haven't seen this before, I was expecting internal stops. If so, any idea how much cable housing I need (approximately)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
AR sleuths! I'm building my AR1, can someone confirm if indeed the rear brake cable housing runs right through the frameset entirely from the bottom of the downtube where it inserts up through the top tube to an inline adjuster? I haven't seen this before, I was expecting internal stops. If so, any idea how much cable housing I need (approximately)?

Yes, you'll need to run full housing. I recommend an Avid FlakJacket type compressionless housing. Jagwire KEB or Elite Links work well and Nokon if you're not on a budget.

You'll need about 1820mm +/- 400mm depending on stem length, headset stack, bar width and position, frame size, brake choice, etc...

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really considering the ar5 and installing the bontrager race lite aero (aluminum version) any reason why this wouldn't work? And do you have any idea what's the weight of the stock handlebar? Also, anything special I should know about getting my first carbon road bike after riding for years on a cheaper alloy one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the seatpost bolts 4mm? Seems like 4mm is too small and Im worried it's gonna strip. The shop I got it from says it's 4mm. The stem bolts are 4mm and they seem to fit on my allen wrenches fine.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
Are the seatpost bolts 4mm? Seems like 4mm is too small and Im worried it's gonna strip. The shop I got it from says it's 4mm. The stem bolts are 4mm and they seem to fit on my allen wrenches fine.

The 2 x seatpost binder bolts are M6 x 1mm, not 4mm. One of our US National Champions arrived to a race recently and while unpacking his box he discovered one of the bolts had gone missing. He raced on the bike with only one of the two bolts holding his seatpost in place. The clamp mechanism is intended to be overkill for typical requirements of holding the post in place so the connection is less tolerance sensitive. It also means you needn't be heavy handed when anchoring the two bolts.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [alexvpaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexvpaq wrote:
Really considering the ar5 and installing the bontrager race lite aero (aluminum version) any reason why this wouldn't work? And do you have any idea what's the weight of the stock handlebar? Also, anything special I should know about getting my first carbon road bike after riding for years on a cheaper alloy one?

There is no reason that any 31.8 clamp diameter clip-on bar couldn't be used on the AR5. The stock handlebar is about 318g.

You should make yourself familiar with our carbon care guide included on our website and pay particular attention while fixing the bike to a car rack, repair stand or stationary trainer.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
alexvpaq wrote:

There is no reason that any 31.8 clamp diameter clip-on bar couldn't be used on the AR5. The stock handlebar is about 318g.
You should make yourself familiar with our carbon care guide included on our website and pay particular attention while fixing the bike to a car rack, repair stand or stationary trainer.

-SD
http://www.bontrager.com/model/11292

but still it was more about cable routing, I'll let the shop deal with it anyway but... I wanted to know if there may be some issues with compatibility to the ar internal routing
Also, Bontrager really should work on making distinct names for different products...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexvpaq wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
alexvpaq wrote:

-SD
http://www.bontrager.com/model/11292

but still it was more about cable routing, I'll let the shop deal with it anyway but... I wanted to know if there may be some issues with compatibility to the ar internal routing
Also, Bontrager really should work on making distinct names for different products...

I considered that you might be replacing the handlebar but I found that to be an odd item to swap on a new bike. It wouldn't have been on my list of the first 50 changes.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished the build on my 2015 AR1. I plan to switch the Red22 crankset for a DA9000 to match the rest of my group. I was able to set up my bike fit numbers with no problems - I was fit on my 2014 S Works Tarmac in December 2014 by Rogério Camargo in Brazil.

A few photos from the first ride this evening.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those look like pretty big tires. what are they?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWorks Turbo 24mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks!
that is a crazy cool ride.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered my ar5, gonna have it in one or two weeks. I'm not going to change anything yet except adding a chain catcher and switching tires. But I was curious about something, is the rear brake compatible with SRAM?

I absolutely can't wait to receive my bike, it's going to be great!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
I'm not sure how you can be certain you need a zero offset seatpost regardless of seat angle. I don't doubt your previous experience but I also doubt you've had much experience with the new AR. The UPPER clamp is very narrow, but the lower clamp of the seatpost which takes the bulk of the load when supporting the saddle rails is much wider and similar to the Thomson you have. You needn't be concerned with the integrity of the saddle rails using the AR seatpost clamp.

Here is an image of my bike set up ... though the saddle is now about .5 cm farther back. The saddle is fairly centered on a 73.5 STA with zero degree post. Moving the clamp back 2.5 cm would not allow the saddle to fit on the bike ... moving the clamp 2.5 cm forward would not allow the saddle to fit on the bike.

If it did ... it would be at it's "Absolute" limit on the rails ... which if you look at a bike set up that way it means one of two things: 1) the bike fit is horrible or 2) you bought the wrong bike.

My knee sits just behind the pedal spindle with pedals level. The bars can actually be a bit lower, a -20 degree stem would fit better than the -17 I'm currently using. The bike set up is comfortable for 4+ hour rides, I can put out good power (FTP around 360 watts, 20 minute PR 393 watts) and have no ache's or pains while on the bike.

Basically ... I have a bike with the same STA as the new AR, a zero degree post and the saddle nearly in the middle of the rails for good fit. Moving the clamp forward or backward 2.5 cm would mess with my fit ... and thus "Not Fit".

You win!

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! lol :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't have both posts handy for such a simple illustration.
Thanks!
-SD

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [chazmtb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chazmtb wrote:
This was in the other thread but I figured I'd post it here. Tames less than 15 minutes to convert from road to full tri using di2 with brake/shift module and aero bar shifters. Swap out saddle, bar/stem module and run brake cables through shimano in line brake quick release for rear brakes.

If you have time for a few questions i would be most appreciative! As a roadie who does a fair amount of TT's this is a really great idea as you can have a dedicated road racing bike and TT bike.

1. How is the handling in the TT position? I have tried this before on my CAAD10 and it was very twitchy, which for technical TT's in stage races this is not very enjoyable.

2. Were you able to achieve an low position or an ideal TT position?

3. Any issues you encountered and were not expecting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went at the shop today to drop some parts for my ar5 ( tires and bottle cages). One of the guy there was like : hey remember how I told you it could take up to 15 days? I was wrong, it's here already! I'll build it up in the next one or two days when I'll have the time!

Got a little look at the frame set and it is looking beautiful!!
Can't wait at all now. It's just pure torture!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexvpaq wrote:
Went at the shop today to drop some parts for my ar5 ( tires and bottle cages). One of the guy there was like : hey remember how I told you it could take up to 15 days? I was wrong, it's here already! I'll build it up in the next one or two days when I'll have the time!

Got a little look at the frame set and it is looking beautiful!!
Can't wait at all now. It's just pure torture!

Great news. Post pix!
SD

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chazmtb wrote:

Basically the bike I'm hoping to build soon. Apart from wheels and bars. I'm going ENVE 6.7s and ENVE aero bars and stem.

How does it ride?
Last edited by: PeteDin206: May 19, 15 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ron burgundy

One of the things I like about the ar was it was not twitchy. I had a felt da before and that felt more twitchy. I guess the da had a short head tube and that made it more aggressive. I don't usually ride tt so this bike was perfect. I used it for a him and it was changed back after the race. One thing is the at is a very comfortable bike in both road and tt mode. I'm not very flexible and had a -17 stem for the race. It was pushing my limits. I may use a standard +-6 next time as pictured. All in all the di2 is perfect setup for this type of thing
Last edited by: chazmtb: May 19, 15 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rides freaken awesome man. I have the more compliant 3T seat post and 24 and 25mm tires on my wheel sets which certainly help with the ride quality, and I don't find the ride to be harsh at all. Certainly not as harsh as my Giant Propel Advanced SL which is a very fast bike but at times was bone jarring for me on my local crap Canadian roads. I did my first century ride with the FELT AR1 on Sunday and I was constantly scrubbing speed while in the group and I often found myself riding off the front. I know it also has a lot to do with the 'motor' but I have bad knees and my ability to push massive power is now gone so the extra bit of aero-ness helps. If I had my SWorks Tarmac I wouldn't have been constantly scrubbing speed in this group.

BTW great choice with the ENVE stuff. On my AR1 I am using an ENVE handlebar (40mm) and I used my SES 3.4 clinchers during the century ride which proved to be a great choice.

Post pics when you are finished with your build.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [chazmtb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chazmtb wrote:
@ron burgundy

One of the things I like about the ar was it was not twitchy. I had a felt da before and that felt more twitchy. I guess the da had a short head tube and that made it more aggressive. I don't usually ride tt so this bike was perfect. I used it for a him and it was changed back after the race. One thing is the at is a very comfortable bike in both road and tt mode. I'm not very flexible and had a -17 stem for the race. It was pushing my limits. I may use a standard +-6 next time as pictured. All in all the di2 is perfect setup for this type of thing

Thank you for the reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next