Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jcb-memphis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't understand what is currently spinning around my cranks at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [MisterCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try using some Loctite Bearing retainer on the BB30 bearings when installing them. I've heard that can solve a lot of the creaks and noises when running BB30 bearings. I used Loctite 641 when I installed mine the other week.

I had originally put the Praxis works BB30 unit on my AR1 when I built it. I was experiencing a click every pedal revolution though while out of the saddle. I refitted the BB 3 times in total and checked everything else I could think of that could be causing it (headset/pedals/crankset/skewers/seatpost/saddle). Eventually I caved and I installed the original BB30 bearings with the Wheels Mfg adapter for Shimano and the click disappeared. I was surprised by this as I had bought the Praxis under the impression it was the best for eliminating creaks etc. The unit is similar to the Wheels Mfg one linked to above.

To be fair the UK distributor for Praxis is sending me a new one free of charge as they were as surprised as I was that it was making a noise. I will wait until the BB30 bearings are needing replaced and I'll try again with the Praxis unit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [mitchgixer6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave,

Couple of followup questions on new AR accessories on if and when some of these things will be available either on the Felt site, or through distributors (with part numbers hopefully).

1)The secret Felt AR front brake in the yaw graph

2)The VR seatpost or replacement insert for the VM post on the AR5/4.

3)Downtube plugs to cover the holes after moving from mechanical to electric systems

4)Anything else trick for an enthusiast to swap out

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
SuperDave,

Couple of followup questions on new AR accessories on if and when some of these things will be available either on the Felt site, or through distributors (with part numbers hopefully).

1)The secret Felt AR front brake in the yaw graph
2)The VR seatpost or replacement insert for the VM post on the AR5/4.
3)Downtube plugs to cover the holes after moving from mechanical to electric systems
4)Anything else trick for an enthusiast to swap out

Thanks!!

1. The front brake isn't a secret, it comes on the 2014 DA2 and 2014 IA FRD now. We have no plans to move it to a road bike and you can't buy it separately. There are a few aero front brakes on the market that are available however that will fit and there are a couple more that will be introduced at Eurobike.

2. The VR and VM posts are not interchangable at the saddle clamp. The two "rings" co-molded with the post are different sizes and thus cannot be retrofitted. VR seatposts are available now from Felt distributors and the VM post with TeXtreme76 will also be offered for those that are looking to spend $200 to shave 20g.

3. The downtube plugs come with the frames. We use the same ones for many models (AR, Z, Virtue, etc...)

4. There's a new crop of AR shipping now and the next generation of bar/stem combos such as the new Canyon cockpit look like a great add-on. Felt needs to make a bar/stem for the AR like the slick one used on the IA...

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever hear of a trick to get a saddle to point slightly to one side on a non-round seat post? I am more comfortable with the saddle pointed 1/2-1cm left.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
Have you ever hear of a trick to get a saddle to point slightly to one side on a non-round seat post? I am more comfortable with the saddle pointed 1/2-1cm left.

This is an option on the DA and B series bicycles and our old AR but not this new seatpost clamp design. If you use metal rails you can try one of these:

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa! That looks like a northern German Catholic torture device.

Is the idea to bend the rails of the saddle? I thought about that but never tried it.

I am thinking about the new AR.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
Whoa! That looks like a northern German Catholic torture device.

Is the idea to bend the rails of the saddle? I thought about that but never tried it.

I am thinking about the new AR.

Yes, just move the shell on the saddle.
I'm thinking about the new AR also. And the new IA and the new F and the new Z and the new 'cross bikes, and the new track bikes.

It's all I think about, really. :)

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

Could you tell me if there's any Felt dealer in Portugal?
I'm thinking of buying a new bike later this year, and the 2015 AR5 is the definitely the #1 on my list, but I can't find any dealer :(

I've tried looking for a contact on Felt International site (http://www.feltbicycles.com/...pany/Contact-Us.aspx) but the Portuguese contact is in fact in Spain and it doesn't have any email information.

Thanks in advance,
LS
Last edited by: lsousa: Jul 16, 14 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When might we see details on the 2015 AR1 frameset? I had called the local dealer last week inquiring about a 61cm 2014 and they said out of stock worldwide but 2015 is coming soon.
I only see the AR5 up on felt.com.

Thanks Dave!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I notice no SRAM builds are available. If one were to build up a frame/module with SRAM, is there any issue of compatability in lever pull for the rear brake? Is it Shimano-specific?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
Dave,

I notice no SRAM builds are available. If one were to build up a frame/module with SRAM, is there any issue of compatability in lever pull for the rear brake? Is it Shimano-specific?

You can use the T750 which is more "SRAM-friendly" in terms of leverage but users with Shimano Dura-Ace rear calipers have not reported any issues. One of my coworkers is a devout SRAM-ophile and has a Dura-Ace 9010 rear brake (with the logos buffed) and it works fine.

rear brakes are for wheelies and skidding anyway

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
Dave,

They are costly but a solution for many of concerns people have over the shimano dm standard.

-sD
the new eecycleworks brake is ready and it is magical.

Fits stages and Pioneer
Works great with Shimano and SRAM levers
Offers rim/pad clearance
has a QR
has an adjuster

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

I'm anxious about the frame weight of an AR4/AR5 which you stated is 1100g.

The german roadbike magazine measured 1294gr for a 56cm size AR4 and 397gr for the fork which is pretty heavy...

http://www.roadbike.de/...lt-ar4.1099904.9.htm

Do you have any reliable datas?

I'm also not so sure which size would fit. I'm 5'10'' tall with an insane of 33 inches, so I would fit between 54cm and 56cm.

Thanks
Andy

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [capK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
capK wrote:
Hi Dave,

I'm anxious about the frame weight of an AR4/AR5 which you stated is 1100g.
The german roadbike magazine measured 1294gr for a 56cm size AR4 and 397gr for the fork which is pretty heavy...
http://www.roadbike.de/...lt-ar4.1099904.9.htm
Do you have any reliable datas?
I'm also not so sure which size would fit. I'm 5'10'' tall with an insane of 33 inches, so I would fit between 54cm and 56cm.
Thanks
Andy

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Andy,

Can you show me the context in which I claimed the AR4/5 frame to be 1100g? I don't recall where I mentioned that.
1294g with all the hardware for saddle, bottle, and derailleur mounting hardware plus the new three tone paint used on some models seems possible.
I'm not sure what size you'd fit either. At your height, either could work. Do you prefer to be very low? The larger frame would be more aerodynamic and stiffer thus faster in most cases but if it is too upright and too long for your fit then you'll better off on the size that fits you.

What is your saddle to center of BB height on your current perfectly fitting bike?
What is the center of BB to bar bore center?
What is the saddle to bar drop?
What is the axle to bar bore center?

I'd recommend you find a fitter familiar with transferring your dimensions to a new frame. Trying to fit you over the internet is akin to trying to give you a hair cut over the phone.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

The new eecycleworks brake is ready and it is magical.
Fits stages and Pioneer
Works great with Shimano and SRAM levers
Offers rim/pad clearance
has a QR
has an adjuster

Looks great. We're looking forward to testing out front and rear eebrakes on our bikes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will these eebrakes work better than the shimano ones on the AR? mine seems to like to stick, unless I loosen the bolts attaching it to the frame. can't figure out what is gunking it up at the caliper end. does one need to remove the shimano brakes once a month and thoroughly clean them?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
will these eebrakes work better than the shimano ones on the AR? mine seems to like to stick, unless I loosen the bolts attaching it to the frame. can't figure out what is gunking it up at the caliper end. does one need to remove the shimano brakes once a month and thoroughly clean them?

The pivot is contained in the brake unlike the DA. Any binding would likely come from the caliper itself. Once a month cleaning is recommended regardless of your brake type tho'

SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may be recommended but never been required before this( well this and the sigma)

the sticking comes once the bolts attaching to frame are tightened more than snug. snug is fine for pivoting in house, but might fall out on rough roads outside. inconvenient location for easy access and removal :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually took apart and there is little to clean. the issue seems to be the spring is not strong enough to release.

or, are you saying one needs to take apart(not sure how) the parts the bolts go through to attach to frame? only appear to be two spacers built into brake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

you claimed the frame weights at the first page of this thread, dated Aug 20, 13 15:00.

Though I also own a TT Bike I prefer a more comfortable position.
It's not easy to find a Felt dealer with an AR in the showroom.

Thanks for your help !!
Andy

SuperDave wrote:

Andy,

Can you show me the context in which I claimed the AR4/5 frame to be 1100g? I don't recall where I mentioned that.
1294g with all the hardware for saddle, bottle, and derailleur mounting hardware plus the new three tone paint used on some models seems possible.
I'm not sure what size you'd fit either. At your height, either could work. Do you prefer to be very low? The larger frame would be more aerodynamic and stiffer thus faster in most cases but if it is too upright and too long for your fit then you'll better off on the size that fits you.

What is your saddle to center of BB height on your current perfectly fitting bike?
What is the center of BB to bar bore center?
What is the saddle to bar drop?
What is the axle to bar bore center?

I'd recommend you find a fitter familiar with transferring your dimensions to a new frame. Trying to fit you over the internet is akin to trying to give you a hair cut over the phone.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw what appeared to be a white Are, maybe AR3 in a interbike story about Knight wheels. TELL ME YOU WILL OFFER A WHITE FRAMESET! IT looked awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt AR [Little Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We offered a white AR3 with SRAM red last year. Check the EU sites for any remaining inventory.
They were great bikes. I had the chance to ride one last year all over Mallorca and do a little race there with 170 other guys.

It was a perfect bike for the mixed terrain, coarse road conditions and coastal cross winds.
SD

Last edited by: SuperDave: Sep 20, 14 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, what tool is there to get access to the pivot, ie where mine was building corrosion. shop had to hack a tool together to take them apart to clean and lube.

also we figured out what was up with the seatpost clamp. there are sending it in for warranty, and replaced it with a new clamp which is working fine on the saddle I wanted to try last spring. will try today

turns out the popping noise coming from bb was the non-drive side not being fully pressed in

should be a quiet ride today for first time in a while :)

also, never realized replaceable der mounts would come loose while riding. they do. that combined with fraying cable in shifter body led to some poor shifting of late. at least I could address those myself. what is it with the latest gens of mech ultegra? last 2 versions have had a tendency to eat cables for me(less than a year)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably the wrong thread. So sorry in advance. But I heard talk of a 5mm setback seatpost being availible for 2015. I am about to pre-order a 2015 AR1 frameset, and would much prefer the Shorter setback. Are these availible for order instead of the Stock 25mm? or will they need to be purchased additionally later? Thanks in advance for any help.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/...ts-for-felt-in-2015/
Quote Reply

Prev Next