Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wout immediately confirmed for Brabantse Pijl and Amstel, could become interesting!

Stybar received emergency surgery to the heart because of arrythmia.. Won't be competing on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that about Wout, wonder if others cobblers like Peto will follow suit.

Scary stuff for Stybar. Hope he comes back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will pick the V's.

WvA, GvA, vDP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Yeah, the surgery itself these days is ridiculously easy. He can probably ride fine right now. But messing with those cardiac nerves seems like dark magic to me. Sometimes it's a miracle. But sometimes it goes south.

I had a buddy in his 20's who had it done a decade or so ago. They messed up and like overdid it, so while it fixed the arrhythmia, it also destroyed his ability to get a heartrate over like 130 bpm. Now he's got a pacemaker for the rest of his life - a kind of "sports" pacemaker that just kicks in when he's working out and needs a high HR. But his peak capacity is forever diminished.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 2, 21 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As my ftp goes down and age goes up, heart-related awareness has definitely come to the fore.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WvA, Sagan, Alaphilippe
Asgreen, Matthews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Yeah, the surgery itself these days is ridiculously easy. He can probably ride fine right now. But messing with those cardiac nerves seems like dark magic to me. Sometimes it's a miracle. But sometimes it goes south.

I had a buddy in his 20's who had it done a decade or so ago. They messed up and like overdid it, so while it fixed the arrhythmia, it also destroyed his ability to get a heartrate over like 130 bpm. Now he's got a pacemaker for the rest of his life - a kind of "sports" pacemaker that just kicks in when he's working out and needs a high HR. But his peak capacity is forever diminished.

A friend of mine died in the hospital while undergoing cardiac ablation. He was in his 60s - RAAM finisher and a national champion in indoor rowing. Just goes to show that none of these procedures are entirely risk-free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
As my ftp goes down and age goes up, heart-related awareness has definitely come to the fore.

My wife told me obesity and heart issues were the most common issues she dealt with at work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had ablation probably 10 yrs ago, allegedly state of the art at the time. Luckily one and done, understand some are freezing rather then heat on those pathways now. Funny thing is that first "burn" brought me out of that awake slumber - good thing I was strapped down.
Remember anesthesiologist immediately talking to me, felt 6 of those that felt like atom bomb of heat exploding and spreading out in chest. Worst pain ever

I stupidly tired to ignore the episodes I started to have, most self corrected after a bit but wife busted me on the 5th or 6th event (heart rate of 190 for hours, lying on the couch) and insisted a visit to Dr.
Bless her

Hyper aware of heart for years after, much less so now. Remember a couple times wondering, am I going to arrhythmia or flutter - almost talk yourself into panic, no, no its ok

Previous I had a low resting heart rate of 38 and after its never much below 55 - I've asked lots about why and get basically no response

all the best and full recovery to Stybar
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I did a stress test on the treadmill and went into arrhythmia the interns were all so excited and giddy. Told one you're trying to make me have a heart attack and he agreed.
it wouldn't self correct and they had to shoot me up with something to bring hr down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shot across the bow. I get that Denk is negotiating through the media but it’s harsh rhetoric for the rider who made that team what it is. At 31, Sagan will have plenty of suitors beating a path to his door. And I’d love nothing more than for him to take everyone out back to the woodshed on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Shot across the bow. I get that Denk is negotiating through the media but it’s harsh rhetoric for the rider who made that team what it is. At 31, Sagan will have plenty of suitors beating a path to his door. And I’d love nothing more than for him to take everyone out back to the woodshed on Sunday.[/quote

Word. I’m hoping he has a great ride. Racing being what it is, anything can happen, but if he stays out of trouble and away from fans and jackets, etc, he’s going to have a go at it. I hope he pulls a Richmond 2015, stays frosty, and follows the right wheels.

I’ll be picking Stybar as one of my riders and wearing my Richmond 2015 tee shirt. Good luck to both. Ageing sucks, be it 31 or 60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
maybe a very motivated Sagan
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...nd-a-team-that-does/

If anyone reading CN this AM, it is Tabloid drama.

Sagan v. Denk
Froome "If peope are writing me off..."
Boo-hoo-hanni "Get over it" (I'm paraphrasing)

The story about Nick Nuyens besting Cancellara was great
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
A friend of mine died in the hospital while undergoing cardiac ablation. He was in his 60s - RAAM finisher and a national champion in indoor rowing. Just goes to show that none of these procedures are entirely risk-free.

OK, you reset the bar for "going south." Good point.

OK, here we go.

Alaphillipe, WvA, MdVP
Stuyven, Lampaert
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

CN is brilliant at milking the tabloid angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
WannaB wrote:

CN is brilliant at milking the tabloid angle.

Let's face it, typically bike racers aren't effervescent interviews. Gotta drum up something.

So....yeah.......I was feeling strong and so....yeah........
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s flying under radar with tomorrow looming but Basque starts Monday: Pog, Rog, Yates, TGH, Carapaz and a good squad from Bora.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

rvv: sagan, wout, gva

lampaert, kung
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wout
Ala
Sagan

Turgis
Kristoff
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WvA Alaphilippe MvdP
Lampaert and Stuyven
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, steephill is indicating a finish time right around 9:45 EDT / 15:45 CET. That couldn't possibly be right, could it? I seem to recall the race usually ending btwn 10:30 to 11 AM EDT.

If the projected 9:45 EDT / 15:45 CET finish is indeed correct, I guess I better get to bed early and wake up early tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems like there must be some mistake... Has it ever been over by then?

I'm really struggling with picking DRVV.

WvA, MvdP, GvA,
Trentin, Lampaert

I really wanted to put Peto down, but I'm just not sure he's there (yet). Would love to be proved wrong
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always enjoy an upset so my picks are all barely plausible. Soren K Anderson, Valgren, Kung and even though I think he is a dick, Quinn Simmons
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I always enjoy an upset so my picks are all barely plausible. Soren K Anderson, Valgren, Kung and even though I think he is a dick, Quinn Simmons

SKA is game.
This EF kid in the break looks super strong relative to the group. I bet he acts up.
Bad Asgreen. (Nickname o the day)
Quote Reply

Prev Next