Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Yates broke the previous record on Valter 2000 (his own) by 45 seconds yesterday.

Also, Tom D is on his bike again looking fit and happy. Very good news.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chaves was really flying up it once he finally made a move. Love to see that guy doing well. Wonder if Simon's bare chested early tactics created some of the hesitation for Chaves (were they waiting to see if Simon was going to be able to go again?) or if the plan was for Chaves to go for it all along and he just simply went too late.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with you. Chaves is one of the nicest guys in the peloton. He had moments last year where he looked to be close to his old form and yesterday confirmed that he is flying. Hopefully he can back it up. Today is going to be fire. Kuss and Chaves type stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Chaves was really flying up it once he finally made a move. Love to see that guy doing well. Wonder if Simon's bare chested early tactics created some of the hesitation for Chaves (were they waiting to see if Simon was going to be able to go again?) or if the plan was for Chaves to go for it all along and he just simply went too late.

You mean Simon "Boogie Nights" Yates? Seemed like a set up. Glad Chaves is rolling again. He was flying. Hope it wasn't a one off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Boogie Nights" - Perfect!

Chaves looked strong on stage two when he was pulling the entire peloton back as well so my fingers are crossed he is coming into form and we'll see that trademark smile from atop the podium a few times this year (or at least imagine it under his mask!).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice grupo perseguidor today!

Got some of my favorite dudes in it. Home boy Joe D and TdG, who knows how to ride a break, among others.
Ineos is going to have to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be 80 strong... and Froome is dropped with 50k to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Ineos is going to have to work.

For all of the discussion regarding, have to give them credit for reforming Dennis too. He has been a beast for them.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enric No Mas putting Ineos to the sword.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So great to see Chaves finish that one off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Must be 80 strong... and Froome is dropped with 50k to go.

Troubling. Never been a fan but it seems he should be a bit further along by now. Horrific wreck for sure but lots of racing since and seemingly no real ability to hang on the climbs anymore. Seems like he would have ramped it up by now if he could. Bummer.

No Mas is a steady weapon for Movistar.

The E Chav is back. Nice to see.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
So great to see Chaves finish that one off.

Indeed. I hope he has truly put those mono-related issues behind him.

And he packs a sprint, too; see 2016 Lombardia
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great day for Team BikeExchange
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...elite-women/results/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, Esteban Chiquito Chaves is guy I always root for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Absolutely, Esteban Chiquito Chaves is guy I always root for.

Meant No Harm vanHouke is having some good days.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just reading up on E3 tomorrow and was reminded that Geraint Thomas won it, which is kind of amazing for a TdF winner (and gold medals & world championships on track). Looking back at his results, he has top 10s in the Ronde and Roubaix and a number of classics podiums. I can't think of any modern era riders who have the versatility to win such opposite events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am assuming most all have seen All for One when was on Netflix. May still be. Traces his roots and nice interviews with his parents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur. GT is the most underrated rider I can think of in the peloton. Some of that is because of his own doing (crashes, poor pre season prep 2019&20). However he really looks on track this year to take on Pog at TdF.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He does look good, was right there today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's got to be so reassuring to be in Adam Yates' position, on the final climb, defending the leaders jersey, and lined up in front of you are Carapaz and Thomas (and Porte). I suppose on the one hand you might feel pressure to deliver when you have guys like that working for you, and on the other hand, what confidence it must inspire to know your domestiques are better than pretty much everyone else in the race.

Agreed on Chaves, great to seem him win. He hasn't had the career he should have. If the winds of fortune had blown another way and he stayed healthy, he could have a great grand tour palmares.

We're picking for E3 right? Everyone's going with WvA and MvdP with a side of Pidcock?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've said it before and will say it again: wish teams would let guys like Chiquito give up on the GC dream to stage hunt and go for climber's jerseys. Unleash a guy like that and he'll fill up a trophy cabinet. Otherwise, without a decent TT, guys like Pogacar, Roglic and GT are always gonna eat the pure climber's lunch. Or are the points for finishing 5th too valuable to teams?

E3:
Ballerini, Mads, WvA
MvdP, Asgreen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping Adam would stay in the draft and not mow down his buddy Smiley Chavez at the line. Based on Adam's finishing speed, I think he may just have done that as he still looked pretty comfortable all the way to the line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
It's got to be so reassuring to be in Adam Yates' position, on the final climb, defending the leaders jersey, and lined up in front of you are Carapaz and Thomas (and Porte). I suppose on the one hand you might feel pressure to deliver when you have guys like that working for you, and on the other hand, what confidence it must inspire to know your domestiques are better than pretty much everyone else in the race.

Agreed on Chaves, great to seem him win. He hasn't had the career he should have. If the winds of fortune had blown another way and he stayed healthy, he could have a great grand tour palmares.

We're picking for E3 right? Everyone's going with WvA and MvdP with a side of Pidcock?

Wva, MvdP, Lampaert
Stuyven Naesen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I've said it before and will say it again: wish teams would let guys like Chiquito give up on the GC dream to stage hunt and go for climber's jerseys.

To be fair to Bike Exchange, I think that's exactly what they've done with Chaves. Other guys on this list are Mollema, Zhakarin, and anyone with a French-sounding last name.

MdVP, SKA, WvA
Asgreen, GvA
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've watched the finish of MSR a couple of times now. MvdP screwed around and had to scrum for better position late. He's done this a couple of times. Pidcock made efforts on the descent that made no sense. I thought he rode arrogantly. Takeaway: Discipline is the hardest part of talent. They're still learning how to ride efficiently and disciplined and follow wheels over many, many Ks. Of course, they're prodigious talent makes up for a lot. But not all. MvDP should waltz E3 and probably will unless he's not really riding to win.

Make things interesting. Gotta go with dark-erish horses again. Alien and Predator don't pay well, no odds.

Matthews
Baller-ini
GvA

Politt
Cobrelli

Taco and Gaudin in the break.
Quote Reply

Prev Next