What a great sprint!

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
“Experience pays off.”

How was your first dab back at racing?

Had fun, avoided all the crashes, spent a good amount of time off the front in failed break attempts. Hoovered up some accidental primes, so have a bag with some $20 bills and a ton of CBD products, which is kinda weird. Teammates who can actually sprint got on the podium, including a win. No complaints, for an office park deal!

How about your Paris-Roubaix clone? (I think that was you...)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a successful first outing, all things considered. Do you guys have a somewhat normal calendar again?

Same wrt to sprint: lost a 3-up. Had some game going for line but par for me to finish 3rd / 3. After 2 hours there was too much lull and soft pedaling. Instead of being patient I got bored and pressed action to turn it into a race of attrition, which mostly worked. I attacked over an over in last 15 miles so no complaints, I tried. Biggest day in two years: 270 np for 5 hours and 350 tss.

Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 12, 21 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That sounds like a successful first outing, all things considered. Do you guys have a somewhat normal calendar again?

Same wrt to sprint: lost a 3-up. Had some game going for line but par for me to finish 3rd / 3. After 2 hours there was too much lull and soft pedaling. Instead of being patient I got bored and pressed action to turn it into a race of attrition, which mostly worked. I attacked over an over in last 15 miles so no complaints, I tried. Biggest day in two years: 270 np for 5 hours and 350 tss.

Nice work, Gents!
That's a great pic. A keeper?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that pic in a VeloNews gallery and recognized the guy on front in orange, who I chatted with a bit during lulls. I'm sitting 4th wheel in green long sleeve jersey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool picture!

It's great to hear that people are back out and about racing again. What race was that Spackler?

I'm a pretty long ways off of racing still, but Sunday for the first time since surgery I was able to ride outside for an hour in a very safe and controlled environment. I've been doing well with the physio on the indoor bike and all of the other work, so this was a big step for me. Still not allowed to do efforts for another month or so, nor do I feel mentally with it enough to trust the leg to stomp out watts. The head is a funny thing; I just don't have the faith my leg is going to withstand any of the work, but I do what she and the team tell me and it keeps getting better by the day. In the past week I've had multiple indoor and now an outdoor ride where I was allowed to do between 180 - 230ish watts for an hour. If you would have told me that I'd be happy with that 2 months ago I would have laughed. If you would have told me that after the crash and surgery 4 - 6 weeks ago I wouldn't have thought it was possible. Its all perspective and today I am grateful!

Super pleased overall. My running retirement is officially in effect as of surgery. I had been slowly drifting toward a cycling only focus (I will still always swim), but the doctors advised me on the issues with continued running considering the titanium now in my leg and I am totally fine giving it up once and for all. I could technically do it after 3 - 6 months, but its just not worth it nor do I really like it. It was just a means to an ends.

Ride on good people.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Apr 13, 21 2:52
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great to hear about your recovery - and congrats to all who are out racing again

and Cav doubles up !
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is my live feed so far off on GCN+? I am still seeing 13.5km to go...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He looked like he got shot out of a gun. That was messy too, he had the nerves to stay in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was at Gorge Grinder up in the northern part of Oregon.

Congrats on getting back to riding. You’ll get stronger and stronger and confidence will continue to grow and diminish the psychological limits. It’s only natural for your mind to protect the body; honor that but also listen to what your body is feeling too. And don’t be surprised if there’s a setback, which just provides an opportunity to bust through a plateau.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Do you guys have a somewhat normal calendar again?

Shaping up that way. But due to trends prior to COVID there's almost no road racing in SoCal, particularly with San Dimas and Redlands already cancelled. Just non-technical crits and relatively benign circuits. So going to have to either travel or go full gravel to get some variety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Do you guys have a somewhat normal calendar again?

Shaping up that way. But due to trends prior to COVID there's almost no road racing in SoCal, particularly with San Dimas and Redlands already cancelled. Just non-technical crits and relatively benign circuits. So going to have to either travel or go full gravel to get some variety.

Some gravel races in the Mid Atlantic are on. As for road, an Omnium in Lynchburg Va., and the Air Force Classic crits in Arlington.

None one of the usual MABRA club races in the DC area are on, as of now. I guess that could change in the next month or so.

Nice to see Cav looking Cavendish. He was not shy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard Cascade is trying to reschedule for August. That's a bit down the road but with races already happening here, seems like it's doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Super pleased overall. My running retirement is officially in effect as of surgery. I had been slowly drifting toward a cycling only focus (I will still always swim), but the doctors advised me on the issues with continued running considering the titanium now in my leg and I am totally fine giving it up once and for all. I could technically do it after 3 - 6 months, but its just not worth it nor do I really like it. It was just a means to an ends.

Ride on good people.

Good to hear you are back riding. I hear titanium has better strength per unit mass as compared to human bone; should help with your already great w/kg.

———-

Also Brabantse Pijl next. Kinda wide open

WvA Matthews Senechal
Lampaert and Colbrelli
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have Wout as my 5 star pick but just wonder if he's out of gas and past best. Seems like a crapshoot with a little rest as a result of P-N delay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BP:

Colbrelli, GvA, WvA
Sénéchal, Vanmarcke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done this weekend. I had Spackler on podium, and trail as my WC in my sub-forum pool.

Lampaert, Turgis, Wout
Haussler, Laporte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I'd have Wout as my 5 star pick but just wonder if he's out of gas and past best. Seems like a crapshoot with a little rest as a result of P-N delay.

Yeah after no roubaix it's hard to figure this one... bound to be dudes racing his one who originally didn't have it on their programs. And then there's the guys try to peak for La Doyenne. So guys holding onto the tail end of their cobbled classics form and guys just rounding into their Ardennes form, as per usual.

I'm not sure Wout's heart is in it at this point, but he's too good not to pick

WvA, Matthews, Lampaert
Trentin, Laporte
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Ride on good people.

Good to hear you are back riding. I hear titanium has better strength per unit mass as compared to human bone; should help with your already great w/kg.

———-

Also Brabantse Pijl next. Kinda wide open

WvA Matthews Senechal
Lampaert and Colbrelli

Tomorrow should be a great race! I like the picks too. I hope Matthews gets a result.

The titanium and screws are bullshit! They added weight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
great to hear about your recovery - and congrats to all who are out racing again

and Cav doubles up !

I'm nervous Kirby may orgasm on air if Cav keeps this up (in weak fields nonetheless).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much did they charge insurance for all that medical grade Ti ?

Trentin, Senechal, WvA
Sep, Magnus C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuyven
GvA
Turgis

LaPorte
Sep
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bling Matthews, Sonny “Crocket” Colbrelli, Jungel Bob
WC: Cavagna, Skujins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WvA, Matthews, Teuns
Livyns, Schelling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
how much did they charge insurance for all that medical grade Ti ?

Trentin, Senechal, WvA
Sep, Magnus C

Different health care system here, thank God.
Quote Reply

Prev Next