Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It’s flying under radar with tomorrow looming but Basque starts Monday: Pog, Rog, Yates, TGH, Carapaz and a good squad from Bora.

Great ride from BAM-BAM Brandon McNulty
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
It’s flying under radar with tomorrow looming but Basque starts Monday: Pog, Rog, Yates, TGH, Carapaz and a good squad from Bora.

Great ride from BAM-BAM Brandon McNulty

That one's gonna stick. 9.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge ride from Bam Bam. Roglic threw down a marker too and big ride from Vingegaard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Notice that UAE and Jumbo take the top 5 places in the TT. It would be an interesting tactic to get one of the lieutenants up the road. Hopefully we will get a chance to see what McNulty and Vingegaard can do to upset the apple cart.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Notice that UAE and Jumbo take the top 5 places in the TT. It would be an interesting tactic to get one of the lieutenants up the road. Hopefully we will get a chance to see what McNulty and Vingegaard can do to upset the apple cart.

Thomas the Tank Engine lead a raiding party tomorrow? Too soon? Larry The Warbasse, TdG, Pierre "Let Me Ride" LeTour, and some local bros? Or just local bros?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Slovenian Slugfest should get underway tomorrow but with Vinegaard and Tobias Dental Foss in 3rd and 4th, Roglic should have support. Looks like a good stage for Carapaz, Lambda Lambda Landa and Shachmann to be on attack.

Mauri Vansevenant is up there too, supposed to be another find by The Don.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently it’s not such a far fetched idea after all https://www.cyclingnews.com/...-quickstep-for-2022/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not such a crazy idea after all according to the "reporting" by Cyclingnews saying Sagan is being linked to DQS! Of course when you read it, at this point the links are all just pure conjecture by them with Don even saying no talks have occurred. Also, they throw in a little free advertising for Specialized while they are at it.

So I suppose we can all start calling our banter/speculation here reporting.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-linked-with-move-to-deceuninck-quickstep-for-2022/

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Apparently it’s not such a far fetched idea after all https://www.cyclingnews.com/...-quickstep-for-2022/

I had been thinking about the possibility of Sagan going to QS. The link to Specialized makes a lot of sense, much like Cavs move. My only concern would be whether it makes sense from a cultural perspective. Pat’s secret to success seems to be teamwork and willingness to sacrifice for the overall team success. Does bringing in a classics superstar, who is used to having a team built around them make a lot of sense? I guess they brought in Gilbert and that was a huge success, so I think Pat could pull it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - that's a good question as Sagan has always been #1 and insulated with his group of buddies in tow, including his brother. Hopefully whichever team Sagan goes to, he is at a point where he realizes having other strong teammates increases his chances for big one day wins, even if it means he may have to work for someone else on a given day depending on how the race plays out. This past classic season really highlighted how hard it is to win consistently across one day races as an individual - MvdP, WvA, LFF - they all raced well, but none were able to just ride everyone off their wheels at every major event (although in some instances they sort of did).

Think the DQS (or whatever they are called this week) would be interesting with Bennet. I know they get along, but Bennet is such a head case it could be a shot to his confidence and points jersey chasing at the Tour could create some conflict. Bennet is the best sprinter, but honestly the sponsors want Sagan on camera chasing it I think more than Bennet even if Sagan's ability to win it is perhaps declining as the course evolves and the competition increases.

Anyway, all conjecture at this point despite it being "reported", but would make next year interesting to see Sagan plugging away at the blue machine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, Specialized is the key, along with fact Sagan can probably bring another sponsor or two. If he pays a chunk of his salary that way it’s a potentially sweet deal.

Sagan has to be aware that going to that team means he’s no longer an outright leader. Odds are better of bagging some big ones riding for the collective fighting it out against them. He has all the money he needs, could be if wins and legacy are more meaningful. Don’s track record of making winners is remarkable.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
So I suppose we can all start calling our banter/speculation here reporting.

CN checks this thread before posting anything.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don isn’t going to publicly acknowledge anything, that only weakens his negotiating position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UAE showing a lot of confidence in Bam Bam. They let him go up the road with Roglic and Schachmann after Pogacar softened up the field.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 6, 21 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody see McNulty in the forbidden aero position when trying to latch on to that break? I'm surprised he hasn't gotten dinged for it yet.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw dozens of riders littering during Flanders, including the leaders. They popped three? Including one who dropped a bottle to a fan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the commentators, it's a DQ - that's a pretty big ding!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed - I was just pointing out the 0 sources that CN actually had. They had one quote and it was Don's denying any talks.

At least Velonews quoted the actual source of the rumors, L'Equipe, which itself had no sources.

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
I saw dozens of riders littering during Flanders, including the leaders. They popped three? Including one who dropped a bottle to a fan?

It's sometimes hard to identify where the designated litter zones are, though. And there are a good number of them throughout the course.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 6, 21 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Anybody see McNulty in the forbidden aero position when trying to latch on to that break? I'm surprised he hasn't gotten dinged for it yet.

I don't know anything about anything. No idea what you're talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remco has extended with DQS thru 2026, so there's obviously long-term sponsors in place and likely more budget like Don wants.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

They DQ'd Michael Schaer for dropping a bottle, the other 2 DQs were for shoving.

Both MVdP and Asgreen pitched their bottles a few km from the finish. No DQ. :-)

Personally I think UCI should crack down on littering, but DQ on first offense, particularly in a stage race, is insane. The penalties should start out small (time or money) and then ramp up quickly for repeated offenses.

And pitching a bottle is not at all the same as an empty gel, IMO. But it's all the same to the UCI.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

Both MVdP and Asgreen pitched their bottles a few km from the finish. No DQ. :-)

I've read that they did that in one of the dedicated litter zones.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

They DQ'd Michael Schaer for dropping a bottle, the other 2 DQs were for shoving.

Personally I think UCI should crack down on littering, but DQ on first offense, particularly in a stage race, is insane. The penalties should start out small (time or money) and then ramp up quickly for repeated offenses.

And pitching a bottle is not at all the same as an empty gel, IMO. But it's all the same to the UCI.

Did I read it correctly that the fine imposed on the female rider ejected from RvV was over 1500 Euros? On a first offense? That seems excessive, especially considering how little female riders earn.

I agree with the position that the penalties should start small. Also I personally think "community service" in the form of riders seen throwing debris having to personally staff the litter zone is better than a fine or a DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheldeprijs looking like some proper hardman stuff: temperatures just above zero, sleet, and 40 km/hr winds. Nasty.
Quote Reply

Prev Next