Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amstel picks

Pidcock doubles up, Roglic, GvA
Gaudu, Woods
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pidcock is a good choice given form and the more circuit race format. I wouldn’t pick him for a regular Amstel spaghetti bowl race, where it is really helpful to have some experience racing the course.

My top three are going to be Allaphilippe, Roglic Woods, mostly because DQS seems to have built the team for him and you never count them out in the classics. JV has the problem of picking a leader, but it has been the Wout show in the one day races so I expect him to be heavily marked and Roglic will be able to counter any Wout attack. Woods is just a sentimental pick.

My choice for WTF rides are Simon Carr and Vingegaard. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either one play an unexpected role.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
Amstel picks

Pidcock doubles up, Roglic, GvA
Gaudu, Woods

I like your picks.
I'd love to see Roglic do it. Can see JV sending him up the road playing for a WvA sprint. Think Gaudu will do well in this Ardennes season. Obviously would love to see Rusty Woods do well (local dude), but see him more suited to Fleche Wallonne and think he's targeting LBL.

I'm wondering about a few guys... Hershey-bar, super low-key so far, but maybe he's 100% focused on the Ardennes and is going to be all-in, top form for these races? Similar with Fuglsang, nothing to show so far, but the next week is right up his alley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alaphillipe, WvA, Stuyven
Vanmarcke, Senechal

In other news, on the broadcast this morning they were saying Jai Hindley is set to leave DSM (I think for Trek?) Yet another young talent bailing from DSM, if true.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Pidcock is a good choice given form and the more circuit race format. I wouldn’t pick him for a regular Amstel spaghetti bowl race, where it is really helpful to have some experience racing the course.

My top three are going to be Allaphilippe, Roglic Woods, mostly because DQS seems to have built the team for him and you never count them out in the classics. JV has the problem of picking a leader, but it has been the Wout show in the one day races so I expect him to be heavily marked and Roglic will be able to counter any Wout attack. Woods is just a sentimental pick.

My choice for WTF rides are Simon Carr and Vingegaard. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either one play an unexpected role.

He would also be at a disadvantage for a normal length Amstel. But this one is slightly shorter and is probably within his capabilities at the moment.

The race is quite wide open, really.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going the opposite direction and for the climbers to romp.
Roglic, Schachmann, Fuglesang
WvA, Pidcock
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alaphilipe
WvA
Hirschi

GvA
Bling
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WvA Alaphilippe Pidcock
Trentin Roglic
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WvA, Pidcock, Roglic
Trentin, Aranburru
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s racing in Utah. Living vicariously through the kid. Came in 5/15 in the Women 4,5 today. 34 miles, 1,900 ft. Not bad for race age 16, with junior gearing!

Roglic, Pidcock, Ala
Gaudu, Higuita
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

wva/ala/rog

kwiato / valverde
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jungle Bob is not having much fun since leaving the Pack.

I didn't take Little Higgie this time but he's got some Purito in him and LBL should be in his wheelhouse.
An maybe today. He's always sticking his nose in there and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jungel Bob, lost in the woods.

Roglic looks like the cork in a champagne bottle that was just shaken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Jungel Bob, lost in the woods.

Roglic looks like the cork in a champagne bottle that was just shaken.

Beastly. Looks like he's riding for Wout Wout.

The herd has not been culled. This thing could be won by a cunning sniper. Where's Phil Gil? We need a flyer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herd just got culled.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geeez, that was close. JV cleaning up today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit, that’s another close sprint. I want to see how the finishline camera captured it. Rim width at most, i think.

Really happy that WvA got a mini redemption. No monuments this time around, but Gent and Amstel arent a bad haul.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Dumoulin shouting instructions from the curb.

Fun week. Agree, happy for Wout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Holy shit, that’s another close sprint. I want to see how the finishline camera captured it. Rim width at most, i think.

Really happy that WvA got a mini redemption. No monuments this time around, but Gent and Amstel arent a bad haul.

And beating a 3-on-1 vs. Ineos. It was a little curious that Pidcock attacked so hard with WvA right on his wheel. But maybe Carapaz and Kwiat had nothing left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Oh boy, looks essentially like dead even...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly neither of them were sure. On that finish photo, though, you can clearly see the tip of Wout's wheel beyond the line. Great race.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another photo-finish, found on the NOS (host broadcaster) website

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, a bit bummed that WvA won't be doing LBL. Would have been nice to see if he could sneak in a surprise on the climbers, but he's earned his break.

Alaphilippe looks off-form, which is a bit odd for a race that isn't even as long and difficult as it usually is. Perhaps he'll spring a surprise next week?

Lastly, watching the finale of the women's race was a bit of WTF. Longo-Borghini had to just throw it all way and let it all come back. Maybe she's tired of getting second places, but a sprint is never a fait-accompali at the end of a hard classic. The vixen, of course, was all too happy to see this and really pounced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Lastly, watching the finale of the women's race was a bit of WTF. Longo-Borghini had to just throw it all way and let it all come back. Maybe she's tired of getting second places, but a sprint is never a fait-accompali at the end of a hard classic. The vixen, of course, was all too happy to see this and really pounced.
Definitely WTF. I would take a 50/50 shot as 1st any day compared to that boneheaded finish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next