Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that was nice for her. She did benefit from some of the hitters being absent.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Statements from some of the department officials in France have me seriously concerned for Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Say it ain't so! Races are safely occurring in France and elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ronde-style world champs followed by fall Roubaix?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April 4 seems a life-time away right now, worried that more lockdowns might occur
steephill has Dwars and Gent both this weekend - that can't be correct can it ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing like some heavy lifting on day 1 in Catalunya
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Froome found wanting already
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Ronde-style world champs followed by fall Roubaix?

Could be worse.

Come to think of it, why not. Would be pretty cool actually.

heyMartin wrote:
April 4 seems a life-time away right now, worried that more lockdowns might occur
steephill has Dwars and Gent both this weekend - that can't be correct can it ?

I saw that as well. Actual date for Dwars is next Wednesday (31st) according to procyclingstat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
and Froome found wanting already

He did say, "I know I’m not going to be personally fighting for the victory here."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-i-know-im-not-going-to-be-fighting-for-victory-at-volta-a-catalunya/

The article goes on to point out how Froome has never really gone into this race with the goal of winning. But at some point, it would be nice if he were to say, "I'm finally feeling fit and I'm ready to compete at a high level this week." Time is marching on.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
The article goes on to point out how Froome has never really gone into this race with the goal of winning.

Yeah, but he was dropped at a point when he shouldn't have been. There's been no apparent improvement since last August when he showed he could grupetto finish in stage races. Today actually seemed like a regression from how he looked at the Vuelta.

Maybe he'll bounce back later in the week...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He just wanted to ride and chat with Sagan about that four man breakaway they pulled off back at the Tour when they were both chasing/wearing jerseys!

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's what i was thinking - and its sad I find for all the work done; wonder if he'll never be back and if Ineos told him 'you're never coming back from this type of injury, sorry time to go, and he said I'll show You, but actually can't '
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur, was very sad to see Froome struggling at the back today out of a group of what about 80 or 90 riders? He made it to the summit of the big climb (barely) but got dropped on the ensuing uncategorized climb. Doesn’t look good for him —I agree he looks no better than in the Vuelta last fall. Hate to say it but all seems like he can do is make headlines like “disc brakes are no good” like maybe that’s the reason for his sub par performance or “man all these guys are flying like they’re in Tour de France shape already.” He always seems to have such a gracious nature about him, and it pains me to say this, but I think he’s washed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was hanging on the back 2k up a 4k climb. 80 guys finished in break or front group—that shouldn’t have been a problem to finish up front. If he’s anywhere near the TdF podium this year it’d be the most remarkable comeback in cycling ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick interruption of normal programming.

If you or someone you know are thinking of doing Zwift racing for the next two months or so, @trail and I are on a team looking for new B-class riders. Basically FTP up to 4.0 w/kg. We race on Tuesday evenings.

There are TTTs and points races during the two-month period, and we’d be happy to provide more details.

And now back to scheduled programming.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out what to do with fitness—or lack there of—with a 3-day gravel omnium in a month and Unbound 100 in two. Yesterday on very tired legs I rode at 3.8 for 90 minutes relatively easily but in 25 - 75 min Zwift am good for a move or two and then it’s survival. My FTP feels close to 5 right now but I’ve concluded that with 99% slow twitch fibers, I’ll always be a sh%t Zwift racer.

All that said, if you need a warm body next winter I’ll likely be game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will definitely keep that in mind. Though first we'll have to get to A-class first.

Also, good to hear that you've picked up a lot of fitness, and it sounds like you may be back to where you were (at least in terms of FTP)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get my ass handed to me in B races so A won’t be happening. Don’t have much punch IRL and even less indoors, especially the :30-2 minute power that seems so critical for Zwift. Hard pulls for a long bit? Sure, but won’t drop anyone. At peak I was a little higher but had a lot more ability to rev.

Not sure how I’ve gotten to some of the numbers based on what I’ve done the past few months compared to years past. I suspect—this is 100% supposition—that my fitness dipped so low last summer & fall that a deep recovery occurred, enabling my body (and mind) to fully recharge. I’ve been doing much harder midweek days and more intensity but not the typical long days that always comprised base (been 3-4 hours max as opposed to 5+). Suspect that with age, the shorter long days are leaving me fresher and able to do more midweek. Also hiked or ran (or more accurately, jogged) over winter for variety’s and was more diligent about light but regular strength and core work.

Who knows? Will take what’s there and hopefully build more endurance and ability to ride longer at hard tempo, which is what’s needed for the type of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When does this start? I expect to be cleared to be on my trainer (I'm already walking) after PT here shortly. I have zero idea to what level I will be able to ride or how much this is going to affect my FTP, but if you aren't starting for a month I expect I could contribute. How long does this go on? What happens if you get over 4 w/kg FTP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
When does this start? I expect to be cleared to be on my trainer (I'm already walking) after PT here shortly. I have zero idea to what level I will be able to ride or how much this is going to affect my FTP, but if you aren't starting for a month I expect I could contribute. How long does this go on? What happens if you get over 4 w/kg FTP?

April 6 - May 25. If Zwiftpower upgrades you to A anytime before the first 4 races have been completed, you are summarily ejected from the team (by WTRL). If it happens after, you're allowed to complete the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't find anyone I could help. I am cleared to completely do without my walker or crutches effective immediately. Did a 15 minute walk outdoor with the physio and spent 30 minutes on the turbo working on basic mobility and pushed a MASSIVE 160 watts for 30 minutes (a staggering 2.3 w/kg). MvdP better take note!

Seriously though, I'm 11 days out from surgery. I am shocked I am as mobile as I am at this point. The biggest hurdle is incisional pain and the surrounding muscles that were cut through during the operation. I still have some good swelling and tightness there. If I am able to not go backwards, I suspect I could push 4 w/kg in another few weeks, but I really don't know what loses to expect and how long it will take to get back certain efforts. My concern is any explosivity. I didn't have that much before and I certainly don't mentally trust things to even attempt stomping down a hard effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rohan put in a great TT. Lets hope he is back on form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rohan's time is looking like it'll stick for a while.

Seems to be an annoying number of speed bumps on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big ride from Cavagna, and a serviceable effort from Sepp compared to other GC guys.
Quote Reply

Prev Next