Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [medium pace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
medium pace wrote:
Is there a way to include w/kg and distance to get a better understanding of efficiency?

How does distance affect efficiency?

If the metric is mph/watt, the relevant "efficiency" parameters are CdA and Crr. (with CdA being influenced by size and weight.)

I selected a flat, out-and-back, windless portion of my last race that was only 4 miles or so. Adding additional variables of wind and elevation change just complicates the mph/watt measurement.

I agree that W/kg would be interesting to see.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 26, 11 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying to see if there was a way to show the difference between holding 23 mph at 200 watts for 20 miles versus the same speed and power for 112 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we add an optional #7? A url link to a snapshot of position. (doesn't have to be legit perpendicular, just enough to get an idea)

Seems like that'd be even more educational since that's what everybody's really wondering after we see power and speed.
Last edited by: AwesomePossum: Aug 26, 11 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [AwesomePossum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AwesomePossum wrote:
Can we add an optional #7? A url link to a snapshot of position. (doesn't have to be legit perpendicular, just enough to get an idea)

Seems like that'd be even more educational since that's what everybody's really wondering after we see power and speed.

I like it. Added it to first post.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [medium pace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
medium pace wrote:
I was trying to see if there was a way to show the difference between holding 23 mph at 200 watts for 20 miles versus the same speed and power for 112 miles.

Interesting. I'd expect that it would take more power on a longer course to hold a given speed for a given rider as it would be harder to sustain as aero a position during the longer ride.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
medium pace wrote:

Interesting. I'd expect that it would take more power on a longer course to hold a given speed for a given rider as it would be harder to sustain as aero a position during the longer ride.

But in shorter courses, the time you spend farting around getting in and out of transition is more costly. Longer races you spend more time cruising. I think the biggest factor is hills and number of turns.

But later I can separate out the points by color coding them by distance (0-20 miles, 21-57, 58 -). Can also play with W/kg. But I'll do all this after we have more data.

And again, all the data is in the link in the first post, if anyone else wants to go crazy.
Last edited by: matto: Aug 26, 11 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how disciplined the rider is.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I'll play too.

1. 224 W
2. 24.4 mph
3. 56 miles
4. 140 lbs
5. Chinese open mold frame, FP60 front, disc cover back, Michelin ProRace 3 tires
6. Was at Boulder 70.3, so the altitude may skew things a bit.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As you can see, nothing excessive, I think the back angle is about 15 degrees. The road was quite busy that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1) 197/207 ap/np
2) 19.74 mph
3) 112 miles
4) 165-ish
5) Road bike, clip ons, taped vents, disk cover on the back and an open pro on the front....a good position though
6) This data point is from IMCdA (~6000 feet of climbing). I wish I had a faster bike for this race!

Last edited by: miwoodar: Aug 26, 11 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sparks wrote:
1) Average watts: 222; 232NP
2) Average speed: 22.8 mph
3) Distance: 56 miles
4) Rider weight: 148 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: P2; HED front w/ 19mm Bonty Race X Lite TT; DT Swiss rear w/ PT hub, wheelcover, and 23 mm Specialized open tubular; Spiuk helmet
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Lake Stevens 70.3, rolling hills, saved myself for the run ;-)

http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/...ason/16206686_W8t6kQ

Scroll down. I am the guy in the red/black skinsuit rollin on the bike described in 5, above.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I do:

AP: 205
NP: 215
Average Speed: 23.7 mph
Distance: 17.5 mi
TSS: 59
Work: 547 kJ
VI: 1.05
Elevation Change: 330 feet, with max at 5500 feet
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [old man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very impressive!!!

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [curly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curly wrote:

As you can see, nothing excessive, I think the back angle is about 15 degrees. The road was quite busy that day.

That's a very good position. When you say the road was busy, you mean there was a lot of cars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Ave watts 317 W
2) 47.14 kph - 29.3 mph
3) 20 km
4) 168 lb
5) P3C 56 cm - Hed S-9 front - Zipp disk rear
6) Giro selector helmet - pretty fast course - light to no wind - estimated CdA 0.22
I'm right arout 6 feet tall FWIW
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Watts = 207
Speed = 24.4mph
Weight = 123lb
Height = 5'4"
Bike = Trek SC w/ Zipp 808
Helmet = LG Rocket

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Aug 26, 11 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average power: 354 watts
Average speed: 25.8 mph
Total distance: 30 miles
Fatness number: 212 lbs
Bike and wheels: 2007 Specialized Transition Comp w/ HED Jet 9, front and rear
Course conditions: Good loop with a couple short, steep climbs. Calm winds. Temp: 103 F

So scared of breaking it that you won't let it bend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - Now this is fun! Hopefully, some more women will respond. Any way, here's my stats:

165 watts
19 mpH
57 miles (a little long for a 1/2 IM..)
115 lbs.
Cannondale Slice, Velocity Deep V wheels
Hilly course
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [farmboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
farmboy wrote:
1) Average watts: 298/313 normalized
2) Average speed: 26.4
3) Distance: 56.1 (HIM)
4) Rider weight: 198 lbs.
5) Describe bike and wheels: Generic Chinese TT frame; hand-built PT rear wheel with wheel cover and Vittoria EVO CX clincher and hand-built 88mm generic clincher front with Zipp Tangente
6) Misc notes: Rolling course with generally good road surfaces

How tall are you?

Do Work Son!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reassurance about my position, I am very comfortable in it as well, at 54 it's about as low as my neck will allow me.
On the other point, yes quite a lot of cars that day which always helps for fast times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll join the party.

1) 287
2) 26.4
3) 10.85 miles
4) 160 lbs
5) Planet X Stealth H3 and Renn 575 disc
6) 54 years old with a very time demanding job so little time to train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A speed^(2.7 to 3.0) against power graph gives you a nice visual of something approximating CdA (assuming lots of stuff like similar , flat courses for everybody)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 209w
2) 22mph
3) 23.6 miles
4) 160 lbs
5) 2008 Transition Comp, HED Jet60/90
6) rolling course with wind, took 7 months completely off after IMLOU last year

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Giant Eagle Oly in Columbus

1) n/a
2) 22.5 mph
3) 24.21 miles
4)175lbs
5)Fuji D6 pro, Reynolds carbon 66mm front and back
6)Thought I did awesome powering through this course, turned out I was middle of the pack. Disappointed :(
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103236311
7)this is from a different race. Go ahead and destroy my position. Suggestions gladly accepted http://iplayoutside.smugmug.com/...3#1383441413_TL2mV53

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a HIM today:

1) Average watts: 228W/232W NP
2) Average speed: 23.8 mph

3) Distance: 56miles
4) Rider weight: 148 lbs

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply

Prev Next