Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [aidanlynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's something wrong with your numbers.

20k in 20:40 is 36.1 mph. Did you mean 29:40? That's about right then.
Last edited by: Quel: Apr 1, 12 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon h wrote:
I'd say 25 mph at 260 W is pretty slippery. Care to post a picture of bike and fit?

scroll to 25 seconds into video:

http://www.youtube.com/...bRvUqxioDl1Gv1jYnjk=

This is the fit i rode with today... i generally turtled better today though (partly b/c of watching this video). I know video is kinda bad angle but all I have on computer right now.. thats a 100mm stem; I'm thinking about throwing on a 120mm stem, adding 1 spacer and seeing if I can stay more or less as "aero" while closing my road bike/TT bike power gap a bit... any other thoughts would be cool too

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Last edited by: aidanlynch: Apr 1, 12 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
There's something wrong with your numbers.

20k in 20:40 is 36.1 mph. Did you mean 29:40? That's about right then.

yessir, thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't perused the entire thread yet. Hopefully someone has mentioned this. One has to account for smooth roads, smooth transition points at intersections, AND legal drafting--you know, the kind where we are in the passing zone. One can get a legitimate benefit from the earlier swim waves as a fast cyclist moves through the field. I would be more interested in seeing some "training numbers" which unfortunately would have to deal with road crossings/intersections/safety issues. Or I would be more interested in the #s from a true TT.

--Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [osugasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread, here's a few from this season. All short TTs with the following in common:

- Weight: 162 (me), 20 (bike and full kit)
- Height: 5'10"
- 2006 Orbea Orca (pretty much same as current Ora), Gray 90mm deep front w/ 21c Vittoria CX tubular, Gray disc w/ 23c CX tubular, Mistral aero bars, Ski bends
- All on decent asphalt roads, not glassy and smooth but not terrible chipseal either

March 2012,
10.06 miles, flattish out and back, sea level
24' 02", 25.1 mph
286 watts

Same day second race
10.06 miles,
23' 45", 25.4 mph
292 watts

March 2012, flat out and back, sea level
9 miles
21' 10', 25.5 mph
295 watts

April 2012, flat out and back, sea level
11.25 miles
26' 30" 25.5 mph
296 watts

And this from a while back but at elevation

Best 40K, 2008, 4600' elevation, flat out and back
24.91 miles
56' 24", 26.5 mph
275 watts

-Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Dave_Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpe D'Huez 2011:
On the roadbike.
Going up 6x on the same day to collect money for cancer research.
For more info on the event see www.opgevenisgeenoptie.nl (dutch cancer research)

average watts going up: 228 (calculated, dont have a PM)
Average speed going up: 10.2kph (going down max 82kph)
Distance: 14Km, 1100m elevation
Bike: Focus Cayo, DT-swiss R1900 wheels
misc: 6x on one day, so needed do be conservative

Everybody knows the Alpe D'Huez. It's a nice climb, but after the 5th time, it's becoming less fun
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not from a race, but from yesterday's trainer ride:

1. 202 watts
2. 22.2 mph (not very accurate on a Cycleops Pt300)
3. 22.4 miles
4. 158 lbs
5. Cycleops PT300
6. Old and slow. ;)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to be too negative, but this thread is primarily about collecting data points that show power/speed efficiency. A trainer data point is pretty useless. If you want to throw in your number and don't have a race, a fast training ride would be more informative.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) AP 246 / NP 257
2) 25.2 mph
3) 23.1 Miles (rumpass in bumpass 2012 course)
4) 146 pounds
5) Cervelo P2 w/ 3T Brezza, 45 front/sl+ disc cover rear, advantage 2 helmet, w/ one bottle between aerobars

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since the majority of the examples in this thread comes from a triathlon, the data is fairly useless without the swim and run split.....since a triathlon is one sport with a start line and finish line; the winner is not the guy who is most efficient. The person's post on the trainer is as informative as any other post--meaningless without results.

to be honest, I could care less about some dude going 25 mph on 2.9 w/kg when they are in the bottom 3rd out of the water (since they are sling shoting past the ENTIRE field), and/or fade or DNF on the run (which means they are HARDLY efficient).
Last edited by: cusetri: May 1, 12 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [cusetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are pretty far off base here. A common question people have is how good their aerodynamics are (combination of position, equipment, etc). The data in this thread shows the range of watts/speed for a variety of real races and can give a pretty good idea of whether you are already very aero, or have some room to improve. For guys who post pictures, you might even see how you might improve. You may decide that you don't care about that type of data, but a lot of us do. It isn't the end all be all, obviously race results matter more, but it is one piece of the puzzle. Feel free to not participate in this thread if you don't care about this type of data.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Event: Club Race ITT

1) Average watts: 274W
2) Average speed in MPH: 25.7 mph (41.4 km/h)
3) Distance: 12.58 Miles (20.25 kms)
4) Rider weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2009 Cervelo P2 w/2006 Zipp 606's. Aero Helmet, Shoe Covers, No Gloves, Long Sleeve, Hairy Legs
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: first TT with power. went out too hard. slight head wind out, slight tail wind back.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position: n/a

Garmin File: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173031501
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK.

I didnt say I didnt care I simple wish folks would paint the entire picture of their results.
Last edited by: cusetri: May 1, 12 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use power on my indoor trainer. RPE for races. ;)

Just toss the data if it doesn't fit your uses. Sorry, mate.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Older thread but here it goes:

1) Average watts: 266/ 270NP
2) 25.84
3) 56mi HIM (2:10:10)
4) 180/ 6'3.5"
5) Chinese Exocet, HED Stinger 90's on I9 hubs with disc cover, Ventus Bars, Kiwami Tri Suit and Giro/Bell Selector with deeper attachment bar mounted bottle in front, horizontal bottle in back. No bottles or cages on frame.
6) The garmin showed 152 feet of elevation gain. The roads were generally good. The wind was 5-10mph and variable. Very little slingshotting going on ;) and certainly no drafting. Time includes two misdirections in the last 2 miles (old run course arrows painted the same as new bike course). Probably start stop and turn arounds may have cost 20-30seconds? Also started and stopped time at the bike mount and dismount lines so actual race time was 2:10:30.
7) Don't have a good current picture.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solid numbers. What distance did your garmin actually display?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Solid numbers. What distance did your garmin actually display?

55.8 so a little short.. but I was dropping signal pretty bad in the state forest area for about 2-3 miles. (This was at Try Charleston Half)

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. AP: 204 NP: 211
2. 22.2 MPH
3. 52 miles (shortened from 56 at NOLA)
4. 157ish
5. Felt B2 with S80 front and disc rear with aero helmet
6. It was windy so MPH was a little low for my power
7.[/img]

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not nesessarily directed at you, but one of my goals this year is to go under 20 min in our local 15km TT. This will require at least 45km/h according to my math.

What kind watts should I expect to put out? Obviously, position and equipment heavily influence this - so can any of you analytical cycling experts give a ballpark for a good to very good wattage? I've tried using the software to no avail.

Rider/equipment:

5'8, 145 pounds
P2c, average grade skinsuit, aero helmet...and the rest of the usual items.

I just built up my first TT bike, and I'm in the process of getting my position dialed. I'm not quite ready to do a "critique my position" post.

Jack, jeffp, Tom...you guys must have a pretty good idea.

4/25 Putah Creek SD 40K TT:

1) AP/NP 272
2) 26.3 MPH
3) 24.8 miles
4) 153
5) P2 w/HED 3 front/DT Swiss (w/PT and wheel cover) back
6) Double out and back - so three 180 degree turns - must have cost me a bunch of time!

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. Look at my profile, same basic set up, except I am now riding 160mm cranks.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:

1) Average watts
2) Average speed in MPH
3) Distance
4) Rider weight
5) Describe bike and wheels
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

1) 276W
2) 25.1mph
3) 15 miles
4) 190lb (6'2)
5) 2006 Cervelo Dual, Hed Jet 6 C2 front, disc cover rear
6) Bike leg of my first duathlon (2.5 / 15 / 2.5). Second run was 12s slower than first (but much, much more painful).

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to say, as position is going to control assuming you have all the other goodies, well and pavement surface :)

I have a 15k coming up Thursday night, I am aiming for 360w avg, well, 350 is the goal, 360 if i feel good after 5 min. I hope to hit 19 flat on that, given the slight chip seal on the course. before they sealed it late last summer, I went 349w and 18:47 on it. the chips rob some power, it is slightly rolling (on KP for those familiar with IMOO course, Cross Plains to Black Earth and back)

i am 5-9 ,165 currently(or slightly less depending on hydration levels)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May not have been directed at me, but I'll throw out my guess anyway. If you search for "watts/m^2", you'll
find the graph the RChung likes to post showing the curves of speeds for various CdA and watts. The 44kph
curve is at 1300 watts/m^2, so you'll need slightly more than that, lets say 1400 to be safe (1600 gives 48kph),
At your size, you should be able to get in the <.23 CdA range, so that means you would need ~320 watts on
a flat windless course. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wife
5'10"
135lbs

11.2 miles
49:27
223 watts
normalized 224 watts
powertap
speed - 13.6mph

aero road bike, jet9 rear, 2012 jet 6 front, zipp tangente tires

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh? Was there a typo somewhere in there? Did she crash and walk, or was it a hill climb? Something doesn't add up...
Quote Reply

Prev Next