Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I only know what last year's 100/100 looked like, and it started WAY slower than this year's. I think IntenseOne was really intense last year. He was pretty much alone, if I remember it correctly.

If you've raced bikes, I would say last year was like a typical road race. This year is like a crit-- sprinting from the start with no time to wipe the snot off your face.

I've had two crummy weeks. My knees are swollen and painful. I'm blaming a basketball game with my kids on a 3x day. Running downhill seems the worst, so I'm running ups and walking downs.

I think this phase (days 50-75) are when its important to keep on the gas. We'll all get fired up in the last quarter, so now is the time to get into a good position.

I don't know anything about last year, since this is my first...but, I'm afraid to blink. Everything is about making sure I can run again tomorrow, and twice if I can find another slot to fit one in---all while trying to keep some focus on my alleged swim-block, and trying to restart the bike. Half the time it seems like I double and still slide down a spot or two, only to claw my way back up again in a couple of days. :-)

I think my family is having doubts about my sanity at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I'm hiding my running. I've unfriended my husband on garmin connect (more than once. We keep having to "solve" that problem). And I've driven to other neighborhoods to run to avoid the prying eyes of my girlfriends. They can probably tell what I'm doing anyway by my habitual disgusting appearance and zoned-out eyes. Oh, well!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. that's some pretty funny stuff right there. I don't care who y'are.

I haven't quite resorted to that level, yet. I have acted as-if I hadn't run, "yet"...and, needed to jump on the TM to "get in my 30" on a few occasions. When, in fact, that was my SECOND run of the day. My wife doesn't really do Garmin Connect...she has a vivofit, but she's not a power user. She DOES roll her eyes, when I "get caught" doing a double.

My dad follows me on Strava...but, he's my dad...so, he thinks its awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfway there for me at 50/53....will catch those up and finish on time with 100/100 now that a May IM has been canned. Decision day family consensus, do the IM Nov/Dec which allows family holiday after young one finishes school. Happy days, can finish this thing now.

Lessons learnt so far...

Ideally don’t go into this doing bugger all for a couple of years and pretend 4 runs in 10 days was sufficient base building.
Hottest January on record not helpful.
3 hours on bike in hills not helpful.
Who cares about run pace anymore...am I still technically running...good enough.
Jeez the blue stack bloke is hard core, clearly nuts....love it. (well done btw)
Running time for soreness pain to disappate and find nirvana will hopefully start to reduce.
Running nirvana has semi comatose aspects at times, who needs drugs.
Beer tasting just as good as ever.
No way Jose on doing an IM prep any justice while doing this, not on my knees anyway.
Daily sense of achievement nice, double run days almost orgasmic.
What’s the white stuff on the ground some of you are running around.
Aussie summer flies suck, single worst part of our digs.
Not bored by running the same 5k of farmland , go figure.
No magpie attacks though there is a family who are looking at me with their evil beady eyes of late.
No dropbear attacks.
No longer judge others by their running pace, was an idiot to do that previously.
How good is this.

Good luck to all in getting to day 100.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And for those of you veteran's of this thing...is it normal to have so many people with this high # of runs at just 52 days in? Wow...some impressive dedication!

And it was fun to see 2nd and 3rd inching up on Bluestack, probably thinking just a couple triples will close the gap, and he goes and does 16+ runs in the past 3 days to leave them all in the dust again. The silverback has asserted his dominance at the first sign of any young pups trying to creep up on his girl...

I'm still one ahead of par, getting through a tough week of health and just about ready for another couple birdies...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The -MrsTex is out for the 100 challenge. She'll probably hit 70 though since she made it to 50/50. She said it was just taking away the enjoyment of running since she had to count them all.

I'm still in, but this last week has been a challenge. I did a double last week and will do another tomorrow. Kind of feels like training, which I don't particularly like...but I do like the routine.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -JBMarshTX: Feb 5, 19 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but I do like the routine.

Ya, it is nice not to have to think about what I'm going to do first every morning, get up, have coffee, walk the kid to school, and then go to the treadmill for 30 to 40 minutes. On good days I jump in the pool too, then it is over by 11am and I can think about my first meal of the day!!!

And I'm definitely seeing results, I never could train through feeling lousy before, and I dont get sore anymore, unless I uncork a huge effort. And that hasn't really happened as of yet, still building to it, but real downhills still hit some new areas that sting the next day...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [AussieIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AussieIron wrote:
No dropbear attacks.

Had to google what a dropbear was. Dear god those things are scary.

As for my own experience, I'm a couple of runs above par and still feeling pretty good. I ran a marathon last year at the end of March and doing Boston in April this year, so I was going to be running a lot this winter anyway. As of now, I'm averaging 10-15 more MPW and have added in some bikes as well over last year's training. I'm surprised how good I feel on those double days that I'm using for recovery. 30 min super easy in the morning and another 30 min super easy at lunch or after work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy run today...10k out in the ice pellets after being sent home from work due to road conditions...not very fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was no way we were even trying our 150km round-trip commute yesterday, but between a pair of screw shoes and my slip-on carbide spikes, I made it out for a couple of 5k runs to see all the pretty but oh-so-dangerous ice.

Even my spikes wouldn't leave any marks on the ice

Hope everyone stayed safe!

Quote | Reply
Ok....

So, it would be great if some of you people in the top 25 (or so) would just stop running for a little while.

Look. I'm trying to catch some of you, and if you just keep running it makes it harder for me. So, if y'all could just take a break for a few days...that would be great.

I don't want to have to wish anyone ill will or anything, so just take a few rest days.

(do I need to say pink-ISH?)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ok....

So, it would be great if some of you people in the top 25 (or so) would just stop running for a little while.

Look. I'm trying to catch some of you, and if you just keep running it makes it harder for me. So, if y'all could just take a break for a few days...that would be great.

I don't want to have to wish anyone ill will or anything, so just take a few rest days.

(do I need to say pink-ISH?)

I did just that this week. I came down with a non-running induced injury (lower back) about two weeks ago. Ran through it for a week and it wasn't improving so decided to try some time off. It improved only slightly so I did an easy 30 minutes this morning. We'll see how it goes as I want to be fully healthy for my first attempt at 100 miles in April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ok....

The top 25 are averaging >8 runs a week, if they don't slow down that's 116 runs in 100!

So just to say where you are you'd need to double one day, or two days if you have a no-run day.

If you really wanted to crack the 25 a mega-multi-run day would probably get you there (run, breakfast, run, lunch, run, dinner, run).

Can't quite believe this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the challenge several times and have been over 100 each time - I don't have my exact counts but I feel like I was top 10 each time with around 110-115 runs. I can't even crack the top 30 now and I'm on around that pace. We have a very motivated group this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogchili94 wrote:

I did just that this week. I came down with a non-running induced injury (lower back) about two weeks ago. Ran through it for a week and it wasn't improving so decided to try some time off. It improved only slightly so I did an easy 30 minutes this morning

Your effort is appreciated. Maybe you should try some more time off.

dogchili94 wrote:

We'll see how it goes as I want to be fully healthy for my first attempt at 100 miles in April.

I assume that you mean a 100 mile ultra? That is something I cannot fathom. Seriously, good luck!!!

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 8, 19 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheKoz wrote:
I've done the challenge several times and have been over 100 each time - I don't have my exact counts but I feel like I was top 10 each time with around 110-115 runs. I can't even crack the top 30 now and I'm on around that pace. We have a very motivated group this year!

Yeah, I can feel you and mistressk breathing down my neck. We just need to convince a few more like Dogchili94 to take a nap for a little while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have actually managed to jog every day of the weekdays for 30+ minutes. Baby steps. I think I can get to 25/25 for the final 25 days. I missed a lot of swimming this week due to biz travel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to see someone else is hiding their runs! When I do doubles, I am careful to do one that starts somewhere other than home and that I can change into and out of my running gear.

26.2 with Donna Marathon (Jacksonville Beach) tomorrow. Forecast is 60 degrees and cloudy (great!) with 10 to 16 mph winds (not so great!). It will be what it will be. I am feeling good with my base from this challenge - first time in two years I am going in feeling confident in my training. Also feel like this will be a great base as I start to ramp up the bike and swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a really good 13 mi easy this morning in the cold. Had bike path mostly to myself. :-) legs felt good after having taken Thursday off. That was an unplanned total yesterday - was iced in, and also very tired from traveling halfway across the country on Wed.

Day 1: 3.6 mi easy
Day 2: 11 mi easy
Day 3: 4 mi moderate
Day 4: 6.2 mi easy
Day 5: 5 mi easy
Day 6: 4.3 mi run (1.5 mi @ 8:34 pace, 1.3 mi @ 8:27 pace)
Day 7: 12 mi run (8.3 @ 8:27 pace)
Day 8: 3.6 mi
Day 9: 11.2 mi
Day 10: 6.45 mi (w/ 1 mi @ 8:00 + 2.1 mi @ 7:53)
Day 11: 7.3 mi
Day 12: 3.6 mi
Day 13: 3.7 mi
Day 14: 4.3 mi progressive
Day 15: 3.6 mi
Day 16: 9.8 mi
Day 17: 12.1 mi
Day 18: 3.1 mi
Day 19: 7.3 mi
Day 20: 5.8 mi
Day 21: 5.5 mi
Day 22: 13.7 mi (w/ 1 x 4ish miles and 1 x 2.3 mi at marathon-ish pace)
Day 23: OFF (1 hr stairmaster + 2 mi walk)
Day 24: 9 mi (w/ 8 x 45 sec fast, 75 sec recovery)
Day 25: 4.8 mi
Day 26: 9 mi
Day 27: 4 mi
Day 28: 6.6 mi
Day 29: 3.5 mi
Day 30: 12 mi
Day 31: OFF (4 mi walk + 2225 yd swim)
Day 32: 4.6 mi
Day 33: 10 mi
Day 34: OFF (31 mi bike)
Day 35: 5.1 mi (last 5k fast)
Day 36: 13 mi (took 2 hrs flat so I entered this as two runs to get credit for the double)
Day 37: OFF
Day 38: 9.1 mi
Day 39: 6.5 mi
Day 40: 10 mi
Day 41: 3.5 mi (w/ 2 x 1.5 km @ 8:41/mi)
Day 42: 7.2 mi
Day 43: 3.5 mi
Day 44: 14 mi
Day 45: 4.3 mi
Day 46: 8 mi
Day 47: 6 mi (w/ 1.25 mi + 5 km tempo)
Day 48: 7.5 mi
Day 49: 8.5 mi
Day 50: OFF (totally completely off)
Day 51: 9.4 mi
Day 52: 5.1 mi
Day 53: 6.2 mi
Day 54: 4.8 mi
Day 55: OFF (totally completely off)
Day 56: 9.5 mi (4.6 @ tempo)
Day 57: 13 mi

54/57 , in 52 days of running (and 52 runs; have done two, two-hour runs)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some bragging to do.

Mrs.bluestacks ran her first ever 5k without walking yesterday (and first ever 30 minutes without walking).

37:47 @ 12:02 / mile (edit: fixed pace)

She was VERY excited after this run.

I couldn't convince her to make an account and join the challenge because she is embarrassed but I am posting it here anyhow - unofficially on the leaderboard with 1 run and a huge PR for her.

I'll be sure to pass along any kudos she receives :-)

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Feb 9, 19 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Bleatherbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleatherbury wrote:
Glad to see someone else is hiding their runs! When I do doubles, I am careful to do one that starts somewhere other than home and that I can change into and out of my running gear. .

yeah, I'm afraid my wife will have her suspicions of marrying an idiot confirmed if she sees how many runs i'm squeezing into my winter.

I think I'm in the one-and-done club on this challenge after this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm derailed, not due to injury but H1N1. Last 3 days out flat. Our shop engineer had the same - fever of 104 & "even the blankets hurt". It's amazing that every injury or tormented joint from the past 10 years seems to ache/check-in. Hope to restart on Monday maybe.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm derailed, not due to injury//

Same here, 4th day off with sore throat and associated pains. I dodged the bullet for over 3 weeks with everyone being sick around me, but it finally found me. Good thing thus far is my immune system is working better than usual, so maybe just out a week or so, rather than the obligatory 2 weeks that have plagued me the past decade. Had a good 54 day run though, so not really bummed too much, time to catch up a bit too if things work out..

Dan has had the virus from hell, he has been down 2 weeks and counting..I guess this is the time for this stuff, we finally have some winter weather too..
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm derailed, not due to injury//

Same here, 4th day off with sore throat and associated pains. I dodged the bullet for over 3 weeks with everyone being sick around me, but it finally found me. Good thing thus far is my immune system is working better than usual, so maybe just out a week or so, rather than the obligatory 2 weeks that have plagued me the past decade. Had a good 54 day run though, so not really bummed too much, time to catch up a bit too if things work out..

Dan has had the virus from hell, he has been down 2 weeks and counting..I guess this is the time for this stuff, we finally have some winter weather too..

Sorry to hear you, sharkfm and Dan are ill, monty (*did you get the flu shot?? mandatory for me at my hospital...)

bluestacks867 wrote:
I have some bragging to do.

Mrs.bluestacks ran her first ever 5k without walking yesterday (and first ever 30 minutes without walking).

She was VERY excited after this run.

I'll be sure to pass along any kudos she receives :-)

tell the wife 'congratulations' from me bluestacks! that's a nice accomplishment and it's always great for the kids to see 2 active parents.

I'm at 56/57 today. Didn't have the energy to do the run to stay on track after the ~2hr Norseman Bike Race...brutal. (*oh, and I did 4 runs yesterday to catch up on the challenge, which amounted to 13 miles total). Bobby and Rusty call it 'stealth' running. My wife calls it crazy...

Keep up the good work all! Rest/recover and get back to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runs number 60 and 61 today. I was feeling a bit disappointed that I hadn't seen more measurable improvement in HR or pace. Running has always been an extreme weakness and this challenge is my last ditch effort to raise my game from pitiful to mediocre.

Run #60 was a 10k race while a friend was running the Phoenix Half Marathon.
-Best mile in 35+ years (since college)
-PR 5k
-PR 10k

I guess it's working. Psyched. My aspirations of mediocrity are well within sight!
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Feb 9, 19 19:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next