Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From someone in Aus, any date change is basically redundant, one way or another we are running in the heat, plus for most it won’t fit with mid season training anyway.

Have really loved doing this, mostly because I have been sensible about it and understood that running quiet is what I needed to do.

2 behind so confident of getting there.

Have shed some kg’s (pounds x 2.2 for you seppo’s) in recent weeks. That has been good.

achilles and other muscles got sore at around number 30, got through by running even quieter but now it’s all about joints. Knees are not happy but we are keeping them in order for the first 20 mins and arguing for the next 10. Winning so far.

go hard, go early, go often!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
14.2 miles easy, 775 yd swim

81/86

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, and living in the northern Hemisphire, after a long season of training and racing not only do I need a little down time but I need to spend time with family and the holiday season is one of the better times of the year to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'd be up for starting earlier, too.

I may get 75 when this one is all said and done and that's about equal to my total runs in all of 2018. These 30 minute, short and mostly easy runs have been helpful. I'm ready to start slowly ramping up my distance and doing specific run workouts.

Here's a nice photo taken this week at the Lake Erie Metropark in southeast Michigan. Spring is trying to spring (I'm hopeful)!
Last edited by: Paul_R: Mar 10, 19 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought I'd check back in.

I started a new training plan... With a much more balanced approach to all three sports. I started the plan with a fitness test (30' all out run for pace). The end result was the fastest 4.5miles of running, I've done since I was age 35 (or so)... 15 years ago.

This new plan has me only running every other day, or so. But, I'm still on track to make 100 runs in this challenge....on the very last day.

To those of you still running every damn day...
Keep up the good work!
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 11, 19 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should go over 1,000 kms today. Which is pretty exciting for me.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I started a new training plan... With a much more balanced approach to all three sports.

That's great that you are adjusting your plans with the larger goal in mind. As we come down to the start of spring races, a lot of people will probably have to begin to do that. It is awesome that you banked enough early on to still coast in at 100 even with the new plan. It sounds like the best of both worlds and the challenge has been a great success to you.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.

How about Alter G at 80% body weight? :)

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
I should go over 1,000 kms today. Which is pretty exciting for me.

That is awesome. That was my target when first did 100/100 in 2006/7. My goal was to get to 1000km by running every day (did not miss a day, did a few doubles, and ended up at 102 runs and something like 1050km). Sorry I have not been that involved. I was able to start skate skiing again and last week I skied every day for a 120km week, and at the same time, I was swimming every day also with swim provincials in 10 days.....so between knowing that I won't be able to ski in around 3 weeks and swim racing, I parked running, but minimal running I have done in 100/100 helped my rehab to the point that I was able to do a "real week" of skate skiing. I still have my goal for a continuous 30 min run with no stretching breaks. This morning did a 22 min run on the treadmill that went quite well, but I had to cut it 8 min short to make it to a work meeting on time. Just bad planning starting 8 minutes late!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the photo - Erie is such a beautiful park, and someday I really want to try running Pointe Mouillee.

Saturday was most likely our last day of winter wonderland, as rain started Saturday night and we've had significant warming. I tried to take as much advantage as I could, with a 10k trail run down to the market to start off in the gorgeous sunshine.

A portion of the trail is paved multi-use path along a road with wetland between it and the river. That's where 3 deer were trying to cross the road to the woodland on the other side. One of them made it across, but the other two were scared off by my bright red jacket and went bounding off into the frozen wetland.

The sunshine in the woods was amazing, and made the -10c/14f morning feel closer to the freezing mark.

It actually warmed up to 0c/32f in the afternoon, when I got out for one last snowshoe run - 11k traversing almost every single trail in Shade's Mill Conservation Area, where I'd run my first snowshoe race just over a month beforehand.

Still quite a bit of sun early on, with variable trail conditions: some packed, some unpacked, some slushy and bare spots, and some deep, settled snow that was like wading through cement.

Up the big, rocky hill - this conservation area is only 10mins from home, and over the years I've done just about everything here. I've mountain biked, cross-country skied, hiked, snowshoed, done open-water swims in the lake, canoed, stand-up paddleboarded, and both run and volunteered for the Conquer the Canuck ultra. This view never fails to impress me, in any season or by any means of locomotion.

And of course, because I was on my own with no set course to follow, I could go hit the beach trail on the far side of the park for the first time in quite awhile. It has beautiful views of the lake in summer, but is lovely in the winter as well.

Those were runs #100 and #101 - a pretty delightful way to hit the main goal of the challenge! While I'm sad to see snowshoe running season end, I sure am enjoying having some better footing on the sidewalks and air temperatures that are much more supportive of human life.

Quote | Reply
I did it. 100 runs. It wasn't pretty. I started out ahead doing some doubles, but then injuries fell upon me. I fell ice skating and bruised the ribs. That took 2+ weeks. At one point I was running taking shallow breaths; not smart. Then as soon as the rib injury went away, I got a dog hair stuck under my skin on the bottom of my foot and I was left with barely being able to walk. A trip to the podiatrist and he immediately realized I had a dog hair under the skin. He pulled it out and I was ready to rock and roll. I was way behind at this point, so back to doing doubles, and as soon as I get within 10 runs of the daily total, I got extremely sick. It knocked me off my butt for almost an entire week. I did do 1 run while I was sick. Not a great idea.

But after that the middle of January, I've been hitting it pretty hard and today at lunch I did my 100th run. I will say that I can definitely tell a difference doing 100 runs since December. My last 5 weeks average was around 55-60 mpw. I was in great shape heading into last week's team triathlon camp and was able to keep up with the rest of the team.

Here's to hoping that Sunday at the Publix half marathon goes according to plan. I'd love to go under 1:20.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After starting the first 11 weeks averaging about 9 miles/day I managed to sprain my ankle badly enough that I could barely put weight on it (#$@!%& ice and snow!). After 9 days of no running I managed to log run number 97 today ... an easy 6k shuffle that took 33 minutes. Taking 9 days off sure plummets you out of the top 10 for total distance quickly :) Have to pull out some magic over the next few weeks since the ankle caused me to miss my scheduled 20 and 22 mile long runs for my Boston prep so I will be doing a modified plan to get me ready to bluff my way through the race in 4.5 weeks.... good thing the previous 11 weeks had good volume but I may have to adjust my goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Few days after doing the 5K race and a day skiing, I got sick again this time with the H3N2. Although not as nasty as the H1N1 it took me out for another 10+ days. That is about 22 run days lost to being crazy sick.

Fever for most of last week. Trying to work, took two days off. My legs, hip joints ached sooo bad, I had to gobble Ibuprofen when I couldn't stand it any longer.

But better now, ran today and it was nice to get back ont track. Cycled Tuesday. I have not done a calc but I'd have to double or triple-up from here on in.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else noticed day 90? T-10 but whose counting :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I had a couple starts & stops on the TM while I was waiting for the various flight-tracker apps to catch up with D'Kid's @aerlingus hop across The Pond [a solid mile warm-up] but I was able to "set it & forget it" at 8:00/mile once they were "wheels up" and pull in a tasty 25:08; followed with a 5-minute trot to complete the 30-minute minimum

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on my way to 39:53 10k when at mile 5 my garmin 920xt watch bricked! so add a minute to the finish running blind. time to surf ST classifieds
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
After starting the first 11 weeks averaging about 9 miles/day I managed to sprain my ankle badly enough that I could barely put weight on it (#$@!%& ice and snow!). After 9 days of no running I managed to log run number 97 today ... an easy 6k shuffle that took 33 minutes. Taking 9 days off sure plummets you out of the top 10 for total distance quickly :) Have to pull out some magic over the next few weeks since the ankle caused me to miss my scheduled 20 and 22 mile long runs for my Boston prep so I will be doing a modified plan to get me ready to bluff my way through the race in 4.5 weeks.... good thing the previous 11 weeks had good volume but I may have to adjust my goals.

Allan, that is so funny. My goal for the challenge was to work up to a single continuous outdoor 30 min run. I had been doing several treadmill jogs stopping for stretch breaks every 1-5 minutes (and in 100/100 rules I only count my jogging time). Eventually this week I got up to 2x15+ min on the treadmill and ventured outdoors for my first REAL run in 2+ years.

I DID IT...exact same run as you 33 min 6K!!!!

I felt great today and was tempted to run again but decided to take a break and respect that my cardio is way ahead of my legs. 20 min bike spin, 3500m swim in the morning then 28K skate ski this evening!!!

I may try another run tomorrow.

In 2006-07. I did all 102 runs in 100days with no days off and covered over 1000km. This year I finally got to what I would call a "real run" in 2006.

So my goal is done for 100/100 with what I feel is my first real "old school run" per my rules to myself in 2006.

Next week I have swim provincial where I am swimming 200IM, 400IM, 800IM, 100 fly, 200 fly and 1500free, plus he fly leg in two relays. So I can taper for that without feeling compelled to build up to my 100/100 goal. I hope next year, maybe 70 if things go on track. If I can do a 30 min runs consistently I can do some sprint tris this summer....maybe even survive an Olympic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck at the swim meet Dev. You can crush it out of the water if you do get back to some sprints this summer. I had planned on doing K-Town sprint (I have only ever done the long race there) but it is looking like I will be in Calgary July and August looking after my daughter as she gets stem cell and chemo treatment for her MS so my Ontario racing will be limited.

Today I logged run number 100 (good thing I had 96 done at day 79 before spraining my ankle on the icy roads). Managed to go 16k on my sore ankle about 15 sec/km faster than my 6k runs after the 9 day layoff. 4 weeks until Boston so hopefully it will keep improving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Good luck at the swim meet Dev. You can crush it out of the water if you do get back to some sprints this summer. I had planned on doing K-Town sprint (I have only ever done the long race there) but it is looking like I will be in Calgary July and August looking after my daughter as she gets stem cell and chemo treatment for her MS so my Ontario racing will be limited.

Today I logged run number 100 (good thing I had 96 done at day 79 before spraining my ankle on the icy roads). Managed to go 16k on my sore ankle about 15 sec/km faster than my 6k runs after the 9 day layoff. 4 weeks until Boston so hopefully it will keep improving.

Allan, I did "real number 2" (100/100 run/shuffle/jog number 35). 42 minutes outdoors on a variety of short loops near my house over and over again, allowing me to extend or bail depending on how I feel. It felt like I could go on for over an hour easily, but my cardio can write all kinds of cheques that my running legs can't cash (I am at the point where a 2 hour hard swim session with IM focus is not that hard, and I don't even need anything to eat or drink.....so I'm in shape).

It would be cool to join you at the K-Town sprint. I did the long course as my first race in 1985. My swim will be strong and my bike watts are actually crazy high each time I get on the CT this winter. I think all the work in the water and the rowing machine is helping to jack up my cardio.

In any case, I am glad your sprained ankle is OK now. Keep up the great running. I followed your journey from surgery to fix your leg to your daughter hauling you around Heathrow airport in a wheelchair to ripping it up at races up to and including the full IM distance. That's what I like aboout hanging out with people like you and on this forum....we don't let "normal people impossible" get in the way of "our possible"

Thanks to everyone on the 100/100 for keeping me motivated to try running again. Back in November, I'd kind of given up on running, but Slowman put the bug in my head to use the 100/100 to try to plug away. I can't really say I am "running again". Let's give it a month where things are going smooth and my disk/nerve does not do funky stuff and then we can chalk it up to the 100/100 "win" column, and it's not going to be any heroics around massive volume of frequency....it's just going to be a win on using slow shuffling and jogging in small bouts for a 100 day long rehab step to the point where perhaps the sport is possible again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-5 and back on track finally, 95/95.

Bring it home!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [AussieIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently ranked 201 of 204 Medal-Eligible Contestants

My Lanterne Rouge/DFL dreams may be slipping away

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on hitting and surpassing 100 runs! Geez, I for one am going to miss your great photos. I'll try and update some before this challenge ends. We were able to see several Eagles on our last run and may have a decent photo of one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to hear you're coming along, Allan - hope you're back to top shape before Boston!

Congrats on #2 Dev!

You can do it, RandMart! Don't just do something - sit there!

That's so kind of you to say, Paul - I've actually been trying to find some time to post some from this past weekend, as I had a bit of an adventure on Saturday.

I started off with my usual run down to the market, complicated slightly by the Grand River having swollen with meltwater during the thaw last week. The first part of the trail had been underwater, but the receding river levels and overnight sub-freezing temperatures conspired to confront me with this:

Fortunately I was wearing screw shoes - which I actually needed before I even got out of my neighbourhood, as some re-frozen meltwater had turned the sidewalks to ice - so was able to pick my way along the iced-up rocks between the massive puddle and the rushing river without falling in!

The rest of the trail was less perilous, but just as icy - some rain had saturated the snowpack, then the freezing temperatures turned it into a solid plate of ice below my feet. The sunshine was lovely, though.

Devil's Creek Falls had also thawed out, and was rushing along as vigorously as I think I've ever seen it.

I thought long and hard about what to do for a second run, given the ice on the trails but also a nasty, gusting wind that made me want to hide in the trees. I decided I'd put on my big girl panties - and my microspikes - and hit the Bruce Trail and Hilton Falls, where I'd raced on a cold, windy, icy day last November.

As expected, the trails were plate ice with voids beneath them that would collapse alarmingly underfoot as I ran and hiked.

I also stepped a little too close to the edge of this stream that falls into the reservoir to take photos - turns out I'd put my foot past the river's edge onto a piece of ice that wasn't quite thick enough to support me! Fortunately, it only crunched down a bit and I escaped without getting wet in the slightly-below-freezing air.

I wasn't so lucky a minute or two later, though, as I came face to face with this on my way up the main Bruce Trail.

I didn't know how deep it was, or if the thin crust of ice on top would hold. I was less than a kilometer in, and decided I'd go for it.

Very grateful for wool socks and shoes with good drainage, though I'd have preferred it if the ice would have refrained from taking a small chunk out of my shin.

Onward toward the falls, where I hoped to intercept my husband (who was out hiking on the wide, groomed park trails while I traipsed through the singletrack like an idiot). Nothing like picking your way along a cliff edge covered in ice and lots of rocks to trip over.

Speaking of idiocy, you'd have to be some kind of damn fool to pause to take a bloody selfie while standing on an iced-up two foot by two foot rock spanning a crevasse, right?

After managing not to fall off anything, I made it into the park trails proper - just as icy, but a bit less fraught.

I successfully met up with husband, who was tending the always-burning campfire at the top of the falls. I made the trip down the stairs to get a couple of photos, which was a bit sketchy in my microspikes on the perforated steel steps.

Having only managed to cover about 5km in the first 45mins, due to photos and being a wee bit cautious, I needed to get moving if I was going to get 10 miles in before a) sunset and b) the park closing (which were approximately the same time).

I'd decided to run the Beaver Dam trail, which is the longest loop in the park and also the most technical of the non-Bruce Trail sections. As I trucked along, the sun disappeared behind clouds and the wind blew colder.

I'd decided to do the loop of the lollipop-shaped trail counter-clockwise, as I knew the west side was more likely to be...problematic. Reaching the section about which I had the most trepidation, my fears were rather confirmed.

I strongly considered turning back, as the flow was quite strong. I decided to give it a try, though, knowing that I had very good traction in my microspikes. While it didn't get much above my ankles, the current was powerful - if it had got anywhere close to knee deep I'd have been at real risk of being swept away, even with the reassuring combination of chain link-caged rocks and my spikes in the deepest bit (visible behind me).

Thankfully, I made it through safely, and completed the Beaver Dam lolli then headed for the exit. The Red Oak trail gives a wonderful view of the Niagara Escarpment at Kelso (and Glen Eden ski resort) on the far side of Hwy 401 as you make your way out toward the parking lot.

I made it out just in time to see the sun set, grateful to have come through with nothing more than a bit of a scrape, some wet feet, and sore legs.

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 20, 19 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange time of year here...still trying to be winter, but then a few hundred meters further along this path, see a sure sign of spring.

grumpy, but harmless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These pics are great.

Yesterday I did another outdoor run. I was out for 45 minutes doing a number of variants of the 1K, 800m and 1600m loop from my house so that I could cut it off whenever i wanted. It felt quite good. I don't want to jinx it that the 100/100 got me back to "running" as I think I need some time for my body to really get used to all this. So now I have 3 outdoor continuous runs on pavement and I think I am closing in on 40 overall with all those frustrating shuffles on the treadmill in bouts of 30 seconds to a minutes to a 3 minutes etc etc with constant stretching breaks from misfiring nerve (imagine the feeling you get after a soccer calf cramp and try to run again and have to keep stopping to stretch). The faster I go the better my body actually deals with all this (reflex action after push off becomes more natural)...I ended up the end of yesterday's run on the 1K loop and did it twice in just over 8 minutes....this is a case of my cardio is awesome (for me), but my legs have to catch up. I do my 400m Individual Medley swim repeats on 8 minutes, so my cardio is fine to rev it up for that duration.....but my running legs will need to catch up.

In any case, I am cautiously optimistic that I can do a sprint tri this spring and maybe an Olympic later in the summer. Given that my swim is much stronger now that I am a swimmer vs when I was a triathlete, these "swim heavy/run light distances" would more favour me....sprint and Olympic, the swim had a much larger impact....half and full IM is all about the run. But I am getting ahead of myself. I need to crawl back into my swim cave and make sure I get back to 30km of swimming per week because at the rate I am going my running mileage will exceed my swimming mileage and someone might "accuse me" of being a triathlete.

Funny story, at the pool the other day (I was doing fly and backstroke sets), the lady in the lane beside me was mocking all the triathetes showing up in March suddenly getting ready for race season and was rolling her eyeballs about "them". I had to let her know that she's complaining about triathletes to the wrong guy.....I told her that I did something 250 tris and 31 Ironmans over 30ish years and I am "one of those guys"....and I was just a swimmer imposter.

OK off to swimming provincials....400IM, 1500 free, 200 fly, 800IM, 200IM, 100 fly individual, 100 fly old guy relay team (280+ age group), 100 fly mixed medley, 50 free relay. That's 3450m of swim racing, so I suppose I should finish up the weekend with a 3450m jog to close off the 100/100 period.
Quote Reply

Prev Next