Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
2 hour run should not count as 2. You are in motion, as opposed to the hour break: the body starts healing itself, inflammation building up, heart rate and dopamine levels drop, making it harder to start again.

Yes, that has been made exceedingly clear, and I'm disappointed by the number of STers (who are supposedly sticklers for the rules) who are quite happy to pretend to not understand this.

In that vein, this morning I split my 1-hour run around a swim, to help soothe my poor angry back. Here's the scenery for my second run:

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Running a little all the time, works.

Yep, out of all training suggestions I've played with this has been the most successful.

Just finished my first ever 80+ miles in 7 days with a 20 (final couple of weeks of Marathon training). If anyone said I could do that a couple of years ago I'd never have believed them.

Consistent running is very effective.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Consistent running is very effective.

I didn't run much at all after the end of last year's (2017/2018) 100/100 challenge. Got started again for this year's 100/100 but most runs have been on the short side so far (3-10 miles). Just finished the Arches Ultra 50k in 6:28:35, ran very conservatively the whole way but finished without cramping or blowing up.

So I'd say "hell yeah!" to "consistent running is very effective. From zero(*) to 50k in 43 days with no run longer than 12 miles. I'm happy. And probably won't be walking tomorrow.

(*) where "zero" ignores a lifetime of on-again-off-again endurance sports
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's "race report" is here

http://chrunners.net/...sg3092033#msg3092033

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This challenge is definitely making it very clear to me that consistent running is the key. I'm at 35 of 42 runs, averaging about 38 minutes per run, with occasional bike and run thrown in. Running has certainly became the focus. And this week I think I turned a corner, feeling almost fresh in my legs and doing a couple double-days to catch up to a 100-run pace (work trip helped my schedule in this regard). Confidence that I might actually complete a 140.6 triathlon this year grows with each run.

Its the darn skiing that really crushesmy legs. Backcountry at yurts, downhill, or cross-country...those are the days that wear me out but I'm also getting more skiing in because of increased run fitness, especially backcountry.

There are at least ten days of running in Dec/Jan that I would absolutely not have run if it wasn't for this challenge. So THANK YOU for coordinating! Great fun to see the reports.

I dont have any great run photos but here are a couple of a recent camping adventure, facilitated by increased run fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got run #34 in today. Conditions were snowy and icy so we kept it super easy and enjoyed the scenery. I'm 60, and the injury bug caught up with me the past two years. This challenge has been great as I'm running on a consistent basis and not beating myself up. I'm behind but hope to post some doubles next month. I live in Grosse Ile, Michigan, a stone's throw across the river from Amherstburg, Ontario. A few skirmishes during the War of 1812 took place in the area. I wasn't going to go out this morning buy my 70 year old buddy organized the run (he's tough) and we met some other friends.

Here's a pic from this morning's run, taken at the Lake Erie Metro Park. Not concerning ourselves with pace or distance made the run enjoyable.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your progress!

I completely agree about the significance of consistency (anything between 5 to 7 days a week). Since the challenge started, I have run every day, and the development has been quite interesting.

Everything was great the first week or so. Then between day 9 and day 11, my legs, hips, muscles in general started letting me know that I should be a little more careful--and that I needed to get a second pair of running shoes.

After day 11, things were fine again--for about a week.

Then the weather (below freezing) started to affect my motivation. 2-3 days--and a new pair of shoes--later, everything was fine.

Right around this time, I started to get slower. I could feel the fatigue in my legs and hips. I was just plodding along.

Then, about 10 days ago, everything just clicked. Now, what feels slow is quite fast (well, for me).

I am curious to see what the second half the challenge holds in store, both physically and mentally.

Right now, my biggest problem is maintaining weight. I am already at race weight, which is both good and bad.

To everyone: Keep up the good work! Over 330 participants have run at least every other day!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul_R, your run through the snowy Michigan woods looks fantastic! It's great you have a friend who organizes that kind of fun. Thanks for sharing historical info, too. I showed your post to my husband as an example of my favorite kind of Slowtwitch post.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I am only showing 25 runs on the official standings. On my strava account i am counting 35 runs that have a time value of 30 mins or greater. any ideas on what is going on there? i am not very tech inclined!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the MI Metroparks! I've had the pleasure of visiting a few and doing some running and cycling.

We've had the same warm up that turned everything to slush (and let me tell you how much I enjoyed shoveling that out of my mum's driveway), then froze to a sheet of lumpy ice - it was still lurking there under a bit of snow that fell Friday night when I set out on the trails to the Market yesterday morning.

The sunlight in winter is so beautiful, though.

It clouded over later in the day, but the light was still amazing on the other trail I ran.

It dumped another 3-4" of snow last night - things were still very much un-plowed when I went out for the first run of the day.

Funny how -11c with windchill of -20c doesn't even really feel cold anymore, though I could have done without the 50+kph wind blowing the snow around.

(No snow was falling at the time - this was just blowing off the rooftops)

When I headed out again later on the plows - and my neighbours - had done a lot of work to clear roads and sidewalks, but the wind had filled a lot of it back in.

The rapidly dropping sun was the "star" of the show, though - even my boring old residential area looked stunning gilded by the fading day.

So, managed to hit 50 runs on day 44. My new snowshoes should be delivered to my office tomorrow, so I may have to do another double (lunch run + after work) in order to try them out since I have a snowshoe race a week today and we're supposed to get another 6" of snow starting early tomorrow afternoon.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures. I had not opened this thread nor the challenge in the log for several days as I had my head down on a swim training camp in Cancun....I got a full marthon in over 7 days (42 km in 7 days of swimming) and got a few actual runs in too. Right now I have a pathetic 11 runs in over 44 days.

But anyway, when I opened the challenge, I saw that Bluestack hit 100 runs today.

CONGRATS Bluestack....first to 100!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great pics, Mistressk! Calamity Jane, thanks for the nice and encouraging words.

CONGRATS to BlueStack - holy moly!!

And, Dev, good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent stories and pics everyone.

Because I am a big nerd, I use a custom-built Excel spreadsheet to track all of my activies and goals. Almost all of it is auto-generated by reading data from Strava and MyFitnessPal.

Having my goals clearly defined and tracked in real-time helps keep me motivated and on track. Incomming data dump in 3, 2, 1.

100/100
Day - Activity - Comment

1 - Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run
2 - Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run
3 - Run | Run | Run | Run
4 - Run | Run | Run | Run - (my first post, some initial plans)
5 - Run | Run | Run
6 - Run | Run | Run | Run
7 - Run | Run | Run | Run
8 - Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run
9 - Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run - (50 runs in 9 days recap)
10 - Run (Interesting, I actually gained some weight during the previous 9 days. I ate A LOT.)
11 - Run
12 - Run
13 - Run
14 - Run
15 - Run
16 - Bike - (The urge finally came back. After 3 months off the bike I started again)
17 - Bike - (I started tracking calories and a high fat diet at 171.8 lbs)
18 - Bike | Run
19 - Bike | Run - (recovery, holidays, and traveling)
20 - Bike | Run | Run
21 - Bike | Run | Run | Run
22 - Bike | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run
23 - Bike | Run | Run | Run | Run | Run
24 - Run | Run | Run - (A Vlog about my setup)
25 - Bike | Run | Run
26 - Bike | Bike
27 - Bike | Run
28 - Bike | Run | Run - (commute pics)
29 - Bike | Bike
30 - Bike | Bike | Bike | Run | Run | Run
31 - Bike | Run | Run - (commute pics)
32 - Bike
33 - Bike | Bike | Bike
34 - Bike
35 - Bike
36 - Bike | Run
37 - Bike
38 - Run | Run
39 - Bike | Run
40 - Run
41 - Bike | Run
42 - Run | Run | Run | Run | Run
43 - Bike | Run
44 - Run | Run - (Down to 160.8 lbs using a low-carb, low-calorie diet)

For my 100th run I wanted to do something special. Since it was a busy family day and I didn't have much time I decided to go for broke and just run 30 minutes on the treadmill as fast as possible. I have done a lot of slow-paced high-volume running these past couple years so running fast is not something I usually do. I was able to hit 5 miles in 0:33:30 at a 6:03/mile pace. Given the treadmill-assistance and my HR, I would compare it to a flat elevation outdoor effort of about 6:45/mile pace, but regardless I am super stoked about the speed and effort I was able to do.

The high-fat low-calorie diet is definitely making it harder to run as often as I was the first 10 days, but the results are definitely there. The weight loss may look a little extreme so far but the first 4 lbs or so came off the first 1.5 weeks and was almost all water weight from retaining water. I am hoping to race at 150lbs in April.

Goals / progress:

Active Streak (Swim, Bike, Run)
• You logged at least 1 activity for 424 consecutive days.

Next Race
• Your next race is the Hyner 50k on April 20 in 12 weeks.

Run Commute to Work
• You ran to work 7 times in the past 1.9 months.
• You ran home from work 6 times in the past 1.9 months.
• You commuted 104 total miles.

Weight Loss
• Your 7-day avg weight is 160.8 lbs. You lost 11 lbs in 4.1 weeks.
• You avg 2,736 calories consumed per day (42% carb, 37% fat, 21% pro).
• To reach 150 lbs by April, lose 1.2 lbs per week for the next 9 weeks.

Run 2,000 Miles in 2019
• There are 48.3 weeks remaining and you and are 27 miles above pace.
• You are averaging 45 miles per week this year.
• To reach 2,000 miles, continue to avg at least 38 miles per week.

100 Runs in 100 Days
• You logged 100 runs (minimum of 30 mins) in 44 days.
• To reach 100 runs, average 0 runs per week for the next 8 weeks.
• To reach 200 runs, average 13 runs per week for the next 8 weeks.

High Volume in 2019
• You logged 28 rides and 46 runs totaling 74 activities in 28 days.
• Your total moving time is 52.6 hours, averageing 1.9 hours per day.
Bike
• You are averaging 21.6 miles and 57 minutes per day.
• You biked a total of 604 miles in 26.6 hours this year.
• You are on pace to total 7,878 miles this year.
Run
• You are averaging 6.5 miles and 56 minutes per day.
• You ran a total of 181 miles in 26 hours this year.
• You are on pace to total 2,355 miles this year.

edit: I need to modify my biking goals to go by time and not track distance because Zwift massive group rides and drafting is inflating my total miles. I think I am averaging 22mph or something crazy because of Zwift. Solo outdoor efforts would be closer to 17-18 mph. That said I am really, really enjoying Zwift and how it allows me to bike while parenting.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Jan 28, 19 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I was able to hit 5 miles in 0:33:30 at a 6:03/mile pace. Given the treadmill-assistance and my HR, I would compare it to a flat elevation outdoor effort of about 6:45/mile pace, but regardless I am super stoked about the speed and effort I was able to do.

Treadmill assistance? Were you holding the bars? The simulate outdoor effort just run at 1* incline. So if you did it not holding bars like some cheats do, your effort was legit at pace treadmill stated. (I learned my lesson thinking treadmill is easier)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
So I am only showing 25 runs on the official standings. On my strava account i am counting 35 runs that have a time value of 30 mins or greater. any ideas on what is going on there? i am not very tech inclined!

Have you tried going to https://training.slowtwitch.com/strava/main and clicking "Sync last 120 days"?

If it still does not work, can you try going to https://training.slowtwitch.com/exercise/list and comparing the list with https://www.strava.com/athlete/training and try to determine which block of dates are missing? You could PM the date range to EricTheBiking and he could look into it for you after you provide him with some of that info.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job on reaching 100 runs!

Will you continue? If yes, do you already have another goal? Perhaps 150 in 100, or even 200 in 100?

Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Awesome job on reaching 100 runs!

Will you continue? If yes, do you already have another goal? Perhaps 150 in 100, or even 200 in 100?

Ciao

That's what I was thinking. This guy needs to start over. The deal with this challenge is not 100 runs - but 100 days. And those days happen to be filled with a run each give or take.

This challenge is about developing habit, ritual, discipline. Finding the creative, the space, motivation & process to keeping running. That's the beauty of it. Get back at it. Ain't done until 100 days is over and then some :)

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you bringing up the rear here. I grossly underestimated how easily I would get busy and then its midnight and another day was lost. I also thought I'd be better about doing 2 adays but here I am at 33/45 with just under 200km run. I'm happy since this means a lot more consistent running than in the past 9 years!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on reaching 100 runs in record time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job bluestack, impressive.

Are you an IBMer?

I'm 1 over par right now and not feeling too great after skiing up in VT for two days. My whole body is stiff. Trying to get back into it. I have more ski days to come before the challenge ends!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jan 29, 19 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done.

Question: what are you using for your goal tracking? Just a spreadsheet? Or do you use something fancier (web app /phone app)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a more realistically-colored panorama of where my wife and I sometimes run, taken with a real camera:

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your completions of 100 runs. Super impressive, especially when I think about my personal streak of consistent running ending on January 1st beating me up.

Do you think it is your past experience that has built you up to be able to handle the volume? I mean your also loosing weight, under 2400 calories. Last year I struggled to eat enough, weight was just falling off me and I was doing less volume, this year I am doing more and eating relatively the same and I am up about 5lbs consistently from where I was- or on the odd race day morning I went up 8lbs over night (it has gone back down- but took a few days). Weight is not my focus, and honestly I am trying to not get hung up on what I eat because I want to enjoy this, and I have a terrible habit of getting too serious and harsh with myself. But... I also really want to get better ;0)

Here is a recap of where I am at, maybe someone wants to chime in with some possible advice/or food for thought. I am positive and little wounded in the confidence department, but I am trusting this is the right process for me, at least, at this time for what I see for my future.

I had run 50 days in a row, a few double runs in there as well. I knew, I needed to take a break because for a week leading up, my legs had nothing. I took 1 day off, all I wanted to do that day was run, then I went through weeks of not being able to really find much in the way of speed. My focus is volume, but I get these runs where I feel so strong, and almost like there is something I can't wait to unleash in a race; but then I roll back into running through mud. Ever time I take a day off, I feel worse for it.

In total in the last 80 days I have had 3 days off of running, 1st being 30 days ago, because I felt like my body was telling me, 50 is a good marker for rest. Then I had 3M Half Marathon on the 20th, so I decided I would take another day off 2 days before, because my runs had been less than impressive, and I wanted to have a solid run, so I could have a look at where might be for Boston. My legs did not show up at all, I actually woke up heavier than I have been in almost 2 years (it has since come back down), from the first step in that race I was just flat, digging through mud (but still better than I had been in past at that race anyways). I felt like a elephant trying to run, no rhythm, literally one of the hardest run I have ever had, being relatively healthy at the start line. It was a disappointment, and a victory in someways.

I decided to have another day off, two days after the race. I needed to run after the race, my brain needed to know it was a fluke, it almost feels like your body is betraying you. Needless to say all last week was a total bummer, the first time I honestly thought to myself, I do not want to run today (if you know me, that is not common- its the only time I feel myself), this was all week until I did my long run. It did not feel great, but I finally found some rhythm again, I even said hello at one point to my legs- oh there you are I thought. So far this week, I seem to have it back.

Am I tired? Am I just in the process of getting better? Am I eating enough? I would ask if I am sleeping enough but that has been a life long battle- I am so hyper active, my brain sometimes just doesn't shut off. Even if I go to bed early, I get up at least once during the night. Or if I can sleep in, I tend to wake up early anyways, so I make myself lay there, sometimes if I am lucky I will fall back asleep, pretty rare. I did have a magical 12hour sleep in Decemeber, but that was after few days off from work and social settings.

I don't want to change anything drastic because there is enough evidence this consistency is working but sometimes like at my race I think, what if I am doing it all wrong? Or worse, what if this is all there is? Am I just being weak?

When I am not running I do some swimming and biking but I have not been working a plan, so last week I did nothing but get my miles in for running, in hopes it will be enough recovery as I go into my last two sets. My job requires a lot of standing and walking around, I like to think of it as active recovery. This week I am starting a 6 week bike work out plan. After Boston, I plan to keep some run volume but my focus will switch to trying to be competitive in the Sprint and Olympic distance Triathlon season- first race May.

All in all consistent running is working, on the other side, my body and mind sometimes does not.

Side note: In the Challenge I am pretty High on the volume scale but low on the amount of runs I am putting in, so when I read some people where logging extra runs because theirs were long. I thought, wow, and I thought I was competitive, but apparently not vein enough. To me the point is to push yourself, the 100 runs is by product, a motivation to do more.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so to follow up on my last post regarding the missing runs, I took the advice of Bluestacks867, I have gone through my strava and compared to the training log on ST, the runs that are missing are from January 1-11 inclusive, with the 5th/6th as no run days! any ideas!
thanks in advance!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply

Prev Next