Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone is planning on doing any running races soon, during the challenge? I got an email from a very old friend who puts on races in the Palm Springs area, and he has a flat and fast 5k coming up on the 20th. I really would like to do it, but I have all these notions in my head that it might screw up my challenge performance! But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and before this all started, I said I would be happy with 60(not anymore). Can I run myself through recovery after blasting a 5k, I'm beginning to think so...

Already did on Saturday, and if I can run the day after 6hrs on a 215m track you can run after a 5k - I haven't actually taken a day off since the race, though tomorrow may be interesting as my new physio just introduced my calves to dry needling this evening. Yowza.

Have a 3hr trail race on the 19th - plan is same as last year, to wait an hour after I finish then go out for a couple more loops with the 6hr runners to get a double in.

Not sure how the snowshoe race in February will go, though -it's only 7km but we haven't had snow that lasted more than a couple of days yet, so training hasn't been a thing.

Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Your pace in the challenge(bluestack),

I would be interested to know if anyone is planning on doing any running races soon, during the challenge? I got an email from a very old friend who puts on races in the Palm Springs area, and he has a flat and fast 5k coming up on the 20th. I really would like to do it, but I have all these notions in my head that it might screw up my challenge performance! But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and before this all started, I said I would be happy with 60(not anymore). Can I run myself through recovery after blasting a 5k, I'm beginning to think so...

I have a 15 mile x-country ski on the 26th and a 5k snowshoe on the 27th. I am just hanging on to running every day basically running 0/miles week or the occasional Sunday run before the challenge started. There is zero snow here yet except for a man made course, so the running is very important.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, did a disorganized 'resolution run' on December 30. 20:22 or something, so not overly fast.

Did the first 'track' session this morning, not overly fast. Next 5k is January 27. One after that is February 17 I think. The -MrsTex wants to go sub-19. We'll see. My mileage has gone from 12ish to 27ish a week.

Could just double up a couple of days after or 'just' do the 15 + 45 minutes on the next day and 2 days after.

Added: We did a warm-up, race, and cool-down. Strava picks it up as 3 runs, but I don't think that any of them counted as a single 30 minute. So, I edited my challenge to be 2 runs of 8" so that strava does not re-download those, and one run of 30-whatever minutes so that it counts.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -JBMarshTX: Jan 9, 19 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone is planning on doing any running races soon, during the challenge?

Headed down to Phoenix to run the RnR 1/2 Marathon on the 20th of January. Other than that, a 5k and a 10k later in February.

Shouldn't matter: was going to run before and after these events anyway.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone is planning on doing any running races soon, during the challenge? I got an email from a very old friend who puts on races in the Palm Springs area, and he has a flat and fast 5k coming up on the 20th. I really would like to do it, but I have all these notions in my head that it might screw up my challenge performance!

I’m doing the Austin Half in mid-February. Part of the reason I’m banking extras now is that I suspect taper and recovery won’t allow daily runs, and race day warmup/ cooldown won’t be multi-run compliant. And after that, training will (I assume) focus on cycling more.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone is planning on doing any running races soon, during the challenge?

Absolutely! I'm doing 2 half marathons in the next few weeks. The first will be kinda a trial run with an anti-taper going in. My cycling club scheduled our winter training camp for the same weekend as the Houston Half which I'd already signed up for. So I'll be hammering on the bike for 2 days then trying to run a fast half the following day. What could go wrong? So after that scheduling issue came up I found another half a couple weeks after that. I really want to break 1:20. I thought I was going to do it last winter, but then developed ITBS after resuming too much training too quickly after getting the flu. I'll also be doing a 5k the week after the 2nd HM. Then I'll transition into more well rounded triathlon training for spring races. This challenge will actually get easier for me then because there won't be as many hard and long runs as I'm doing now.

Oh also, today as I was knocking out an easy run for #25 for me (one day behind), I had the pleasure of getting bit by a dog! And the mfer was on a leash! (partly myself to blame, should have given wider berth). But the dang thing wasn't aggressive at all as we were approaching on the sidewalk, then just like a ninja it darted and bit my ass as we passed! Argh. Luckily doesn't seem serious, will just keep an eye on it for infection (owner was also able to provide rabies vac documentation).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, did a disorganized 'resolution run' on December 30. 20:22 or something, so not overly fast. //

Hey, that is not too bad, I would be quite happy being within 2 or 3 minutes of that time right now. Just not sure what all this slowish 9 to 10 minute mile running is going to play when I try to run faster. I haven't tested much speed on the treadmill yet, and I'm definitely not going to any tracks. Those days are long gone, spadework is going to be looking at the TV, or out at the pool, while the motor races underneath me..I remember back in the day after track sessions, calfs were always sore, and it was a longish recovery process. I do much better on dirt, always have.

Good luck with you and the Mrs. on the sub 19, I see that 70+ year old dude doing around that and it just makes me mad!!!

And great to see so many doing some winter racing, I used to love this time, no pressure and you can focus on just one thing for awhile...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
To the general group -- what happened?!?! I've only got two people consistently posting photos up over on Instagram. Not giving me much to work with over here! Become somewhat social media infamous and get re-grammed by the Slowtwitch Social Media Team (aka me).

Ok, I've just done about as good as I can do. If you don't repost that then I give up! lol
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boom! Thanks for the re-gram!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been spending too much time on the social medias prepping for my presentation out at TBI...figured I'd show some love to folks who've been posting over the last week or so.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I am going to try and do an 8km race on January 27th. It is a race that I did about 23 years ago and haven't done since. As long as the weather forecast is ok (I always wait until closer to the race in the winter since I don't really want to run a race in 6 inches of new snow or ice coated streets from freezing rain) this will be my first tune-up for the April marathon. Plan on doing a half marathon in late Feb or early March as well.

Very unusual weater in southern Ontario this winter ... yesterday was 6C and really nice and today it was -1C with 35km/h wind gusts making it feel much colder. Tomorrow morning it is supposed to be around -10C. Shorts one day then bundle up the next!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
To the general group -- what happened?!?! I've only got two people consistently posting photos up over on Instagram. Not giving me much to work with over here! Become somewhat social media infamous and get re-grammed by the Slowtwitch Social Media Team (aka me).

I'm going to assume that the general Slowtwitch crowd skews older and less self-promotional (and n=1, true for me).

And as other folks have stated, I don't bring anything with me on runs that takes pictures. Besides, my pre-dawn workouts wouldn't make for any good pictures even if I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing more via IG stories than anything else, really. Tougher to reshare versus a Feed post.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was in Panama City for work, and obviously ran part of the Ironman Florida course.
First, that place is still not ready to have a race. I expect to still see repairs going on in May when 70.3 is. I just snapped a couple random pics while driving, the real damage is way worse.
And second, amazing how slow I was just over 2 years ago.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wtf is the point of a Ig story? I'm lost on the purpose... Other than the obvious feature stealing from snapchat.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mclandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mclandon wrote:
Run #1 today in Philly came across some sort of Red Bull commercial where a guy is snowboarding down the Rocky Steps at Art Museum

My wife and I were heading out of town and saw that too.

But when I say "heading out of town", I mean permanently. We just packed up and sold (mostly) our house, moved into our van, and set off on our 6 month or more search for a new home somewhere.

Our 100/100 runs from now on will take place across a large swathe of the country. We started on Tuesday with a balmy 55F run in the Wildwood Preserve MetroPark on the edge of Toledo, OH.

Today's run was in frigid conditions along Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. Tomorrow will be even colder in rural Wisconsin. Over the coming month we will be heading toward Moab, UT and running the Arches Ultra on the 26th. From there the whole of the southwest beckons before heading up the west coast.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats that sounds like a great adventure!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ultra_slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thursdays.
Thursdays are always low energy days - I often wake feeling tired. Same thing last Thursday (after my double on Wednesday) when i successfully ran 6k (30mins) much to my surprise.
Today, woke up feeling tired, took a while to get moving out of bed. Then ran my "normal" challenge weekday run of 8.5k - and found a rhythm and ran well (by my standard).
Better still, my HR for these runs has come down by 10 beats, and my body composition is *starting* to improve.

Now that I have a pattern going (running everyday) my next challenge is building back my long and medium runs. Last year I did my long run as a double on Wednesdays to/from work (with a longer loop to work) with 2 medium runs at the weekend + 2 or 3 short runs during the week. Changing job demands this year won't let this work.

Plan B is to try a medium and long run at weekends, while keeping the 8.5k runs everyday during the week - starting this weekend.

Progress is being made *if only* I could get past Thursday mornings!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
But when I say "heading out of town", I mean permanently. We just packed up and sold (mostly) our house, moved into our van, and set off on our 6 month or more search for a new home somewhere.

Our 100/100 runs from now on will take place across a large swathe of the country.

Now that is a cool story! Sounds like you guys are living the dream. Reminds me of a poster I hung in my kids playroom.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ultra_slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ultra_slow wrote:
Thursdays.

Not long ago, I was talking to someone at work about Thursdays

See, we're off every other Friday, so we call the Thursdays on those weeks "Fake Friday" "Faux Friday" or, sometimes, "Thriday" [although, that's a little awkward on the tongue]

I said that in my experience, Thursday has always been the best night of the week for me. When I was in the band [OK, more than one band, actually, but that's a minor detail] I loved playing Thursday night shows. The people who came out were either a) ready to party and wanted to start the weekend as soon as possible, especially when we played shows at Penn or Drexel, and they were off from classes the next day, or b) just so fucking tired of that week's bullshit, they just wanted to get loose, forget about everything, and if they were still fucked up or hungover on Friday? Well, fuck it

Moving forward, post-music career, Thursday became the night I usually put maximum efforts into workouts; often doubling or tripling up. Thursdays would be brick night with bike/run or bike/swim workouts. I would do speedwork on Thursdays if I was in that mode, so I could really thrash and have a couple days recovery before Sunday's long run

Nowadays, I go to the gym, set the TM a couple clicks higher than I would go on the road, spin that for half an hour or so to get the engine revved nice & hot, then hit the weights for 45 to an hour [I have found that in the weight room, a tech race shirt with dates and distance on it may as well be an Invisibility Cloak]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Seeing more via IG stories than anything else, really. Tougher to reshare versus a Feed post.

If @slowtwitch is tagged in the story, you should be able to reshare those pretty easily on the slowtwitch story.(that person's instagram must be public though) When you look at your direct messages, and one from someone who just tagged you in a story, when you open that conversation, there should be an option to re-share that story on your stories. I think. lol
Last edited by: Sean H: Jan 10, 19 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Wtf is the point of a Ig story? I'm lost on the purpose... Other than the obvious feature stealing from snapchat.

it's just a copy for sure. less formal way of posting. generally acceptable to post several per day, whereas you better damn well sure not post more than once per day on the regular feed lol. i don't snapchat so I like the feature on IG.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know how it works. The issue is being able to catch it in time.

I suppose I should also use push notifications for this, but that shit drives me up a wall with my OCD over not having any red notification boxes over any app...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most brands are abandoning Snapchat. The highest growing forms of social content are in DMing style apps, including Messenger and WhatsApp. Makes it trickier to analyze but if you know what you're doing from a tagging perspective (especially when driving to a website or other form) it's not terribly complicated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

it's just a copy for sure. less formal way of posting. generally acceptable to post several per day, whereas you better damn well sure not post more than once per day on the regular feed lol. i don't snapchat so I like the feature on IG.

? First I’ve heard of anyone saying anything like that. My average is crazy under that, but some days I’ll put up three or four.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next