Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe log it as 3 activities workouts on your watch? 30 min run followed by a 60 minute run followed by a 30 minute run? Not sure if that's in the spirit of the competition or not.

That's what I'm going to do when my long runs build up.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Rule 7. Clearly says you get no extra credit for a longer run. A 30 min run has to be separated from another run by 60 minutes. Is this how so many people get in so many runs?

7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Maybe log it as 3 activities workouts on your watch? 30 min run followed by a 60 minute run followed by a 30 minute run? Not sure if that's in the spirit of the competition or not.

The logged runs just need to be separated by 1 hour, so I'd say that's legit. And it's not a competition it's a challenge. So you have met the terms of the challenge.

---------------------
Two of us lame dogs were at the Vet yesterday. In addition to us having "ADD", my dog's right leg is hurting and my left leg. We both got an accurate diagnosis :/.

Bad news is the dog (real dog) needs ACL surgery.
And I just need a frontal lobotomy. Oops wrong nerves - but she said it was likely radiating nerve issues stemming from as high as the SI joint. Which makes sense because my left leg nerve has the lingering issues from the shingles (nerve bundle) attack.

Then I ran into my "real" doctor, who told me to quit the damn running. I said to him "look, this leg is going ballistic because I am using it like it's supposed to used". Pushing through the challenge the leg has no choice in the matter. It must respond.

And today, it felt pretty good!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit curious if Slowman & Co track or monitor the 60 minutes between runs rule. Or are we going by the honor system? Maybe I shouldn't ask this question :)

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll stick with separating runs and completing the challenge in the spirit it was intended. Seems dumb to me to count one single continuous run as multiple runs just to climb the leader board that has no prize.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Which camp are you in?

I'm averaging about an hour per run. I've been just doing my normal run training (I've been in a big run focus since October anyway, and have an open Marathon in May), plus the odd 30-minute recovery jog or double.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
I'm a bit curious if Slowman & Co track or monitor the 60 minutes between runs rule. Or are we going by the honor system? Maybe I shouldn't ask this question :)

Not currently, but if some of this bullshit splitting up of long runs comes to fruition, I'll have to take action. The spirit of the challenge is ONE RUN, ONE CHALLENGE ENTRY. If you run again at least an hour later, it's a second run, and so on. But don't go calling the first 30 and last 30 of a 2 hour run 2 (or worse, 3) sessions. That is absolutely not it.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope I don't have to get picky about policing it!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Don_W wrote:

Not currently, but if some of this bullshit splitting up of long runs comes to fruition, I'll have to take action. The spirit of the challenge is ONE RUN, ONE CHALLENGE ENTRY. If you run again at least an hour later, it's a second run, and so on. But don't go calling the first 30 and last 30 of a 2 hour run 2 (or worse, 3) sessions. That is absolutely not it.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope I don't have to get picky about policing it!

-Eric

I don't understand your idea of the spirit of this challenge. Why does it matter what a person does during the hour gap between 30 minute runs? I would think that if a person chooses to run during the hour in between and doesn't claim it as a run, they are still playing fair. Clearly, they cannot claim more than 2 runs, though.

Edit: Arguing this point reminds me of how my kids play. They spend 95% of their time setting up games and arguing rules. I kind of like arguing about this!
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Jan 4, 19 17:31
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you Allen, I'm trying to build for Boston so longer slower paced base miles are the norm. I'd have a tough time trying to complete three 30 minute runs in a day when I need to be running for an hour and a half.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I think you can count the first 30 minutes. Ignore the next 60 minutes. Count the last 30. VoilĂ !

This has been asked more than a couple times aceoss various threads and clarified at least once by Slowman and once by Dev. Easiest one I found using search:

Slowman wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
Quick question:

day 1 - 21 miles (2:59:00)
day 2 - 1 mile (8:35)
day 3 - 13 miles (1:52:20)
day 4 - 2.6 miles (0:25:20)

this is 37 miles, 5 hours 25 minutes, and counts as 2 runs for the 100.

day 1 - 3.5 miles (0:31:04)
day 2 - 3.5 miles (0:32:22)
day 3 - 5.6 miles (0:43:29)
day 4 - 3.8 miles (0:32:40)

this is 16 miles, 2 hours 19 minutes, and counts as 4 runs for the 100.

Is that correct?

correct.

In other words:

Slowman wrote:
this is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum //

Count me in the camp of just getting in 30 to 40 minutes per run, but that is out of necessity, not any gaming of the system. First step is to speed up some of the runs, do some intervals, and some hills too. Then maybe soon I can try and do a double, throwing in a very easy 5k to build mileage. But I'm not coming off any running program, mostly haven't been running for 5 years, so this is perfect for me.

So far just missed Xmas day, felt like I was getting sick, and of course have 3 little kids who needed Santa to be in good shape to build their new toys. Think I will catch that one up in the next few. Also doing some biking, and trying to get in the water 3 or 4 days a week too, but several just recovery swims after the runs..

Just mentioned to dan that there is a 5k race in Palm Springs on the 19th this month, put on by a friend of ours. We both have it on our radar as a nice see where you are 1/3 into this, and maybe one or two more down the line to see if all this slowish running is actually building 5k speed..I hope so...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a strong day today. I was able to get in three runs after work and a Zwift. The one run was immediately off the bike - my first brick in many months. This challenge is definitely increasing my run volume. Normally I would just do a ride on Zwift and call it a day.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at 54 minutes avg over 20 runs. All of them at least continuous 30 minutes. Longest was 2hr47m.
Next week planning for a 4 hour run. Missed 2 runs because of work and kid, did one day double of 34 recovery morning and 42 hill work afternoon.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
not any gaming of the system.

Monty, you said a lot, but //\\ is all I heard.

What's the dealie-o? The rules and ranking are set up to reward multiple 30 minute runs per day. Is that gaming the system? I don't think so. If it is, then we should change the rules to say that you're supposed to run only one time per day with a minimum of 30 minutes.

For myself, running 30 minutes each day is a task I think I can do. I have added in extra runs to increase my weekly mileage as well as move up the roster. I enjoy competition.

This challenge is wrapped up in the honor system. I would like to be clear about the rules and the spirit of this challenge. So, are multiple runs gaming the system?

If I misread your post and misunderstood your words, I apologize.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Jan 4, 19 20:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I misread your post and misunderstood your words, I apologize.

No, I'm not complaining or disparaging the set up of the challenge. In fact, I'm one of those guys that likes to exploit the intricacies of complicated races and such. I"wish" I could game the challenge(in a positive way), like bluestack has been able to do, but alas I'm relegated to fighting for my top 150 spot thus far. I'm finding it quite comforting that there are so many that are participating and on track for a good 100 days thus far. Like Dan, I hope to surge at some point and maybe crack the top 100, all while doing a good amount of the other sports too...Similar to what you and I did on the sprint challenge, that got me able to even think about this thing....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I had a strong day today. I was able to get in three runs after work and a Zwift. The one run was immediately off the bike - my first brick in many months. This challenge is definitely increasing my run volume. Normally I would just do a ride on Zwift and call it a day.

Many years ago, if I had a trainer ride scheduled, I found myself replacing the first 15 minutes of "warmup" with a treadmill warmup that would end in 5x30 second 15% hill repeats with recovery for 30 seconds at 2-5% grade. This would get me all firing to launch into the bike session with barely a 2 minute warmups....then it was into the bike session and I'd tyipically reduce the bike session by 5 minutes over the "plan" and then tack on a 15 min transition run that would include one hard mile.

So now the 90 min trainer ride with 60 min of intervals and warmup and cooldown turned into a 15 min run plus 70 min trainer ride plus 15 min run. On the ride front, I'd end up doing exactly the same intervals that were planned, and I'd get 30 min of running in AND do some hard hills and a 1 mile "drag race" transition interval....then would jog it in. Overall, the workout was 12 minutes longer in duration including my transition.

Typically the same day, I'd have a 45-60 min easy run at lunch time and the above workout would be early morning or evening.

Anyway, I'm out of commission for several days. I managed to tweak my back on my second XC ski of the year. Not good. I was making some much progress. I am going to be back on light trainer workouts and swimming easy for some time now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Allan wrote:
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum and trying to do this numerous times during the day to drive up their number of runs vs. people that are doing their "normal" run training with maybe a focus on adding in an extra run or two to work on their running and keeping the majority of their runs longer than the 30 min minimum. On Sunday, I will be doing a 2 hour long run and would never consider breaking that down into 4 x 30 minute runs with an hour between since my ocd-type AAA personality that many triathletes share might get me attempting too many runs in a day :)

Which camp are you in?

you can tell that pretty well by looking at the challenge table. if you sort by distance, or time, and you divide a little, you can see who's who. i'm squarely in the 30-min range, that is, nowadays, between 31 and 33min, not because of the challenge, but because that's what i can handle. i hope at the end of the challenge i'm more like in the 40min to 45min average range, because that's where i want my runs to be (with the occasional 60min). but i can't handle that now, and my PRIORITY is to run daily and, again, not because of the challenge, but more because i feel that i'll be better off, as an athlete, if i'm in the habit of more/less daily runs. the challenge has gotten me off my petootie to see if i can get there.

I know that it is easy enough to see who is doing 30 minute runs with some simple math. I was curious about how many people changed their normal training. In my pre-triathlete, runner only days I would do doubles 3 or 4 days each week, usually 5-6k in the morning and then 8-12k for my second run, which would give me a lot more runs (and miles) than I am doing currently and would be ideal in this challenge. I haven't done this challenge in a decade and signed up just to motivate me as I prepare for a spring marathon but still want to keep swimming and biking more than I did 10 years ago and running a bit less to stay injury free.

Also, I can't believe anyone would want to record their 2 hour run as 2 x 30 minute with an hour between just to put down 2 runs in the table. I am more interested in seeing what the run volume is for my fellow slowtwitchers vs run count..... but maybe that just makes me feel better since I do a lot better in run distance :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I was thinking about this on today's run: If I complete the 100 runs in 100 days challenge and average about 30 minutes each of the 100 runs; at the end of the challenge what distance race is my body ready for and how/or should I taper for it (rest)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wonder, if there is a sort based on how many people actually did at least 30 min of running, everyday. (no 15+45 2 day combos, etc). would be nice to have a special icon for that :) So far I am alternating 90min one day 30min next.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I think you can count the first 30 minutes. Ignore the next 60 minutes. Count the last 30. VoilĂ !

This has been asked more than a couple times aceoss various threads and clarified at least once by Slowman and once by Dev. Easiest one I found using search:

Slowman wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
Quick question:

day 1 - 21 miles (2:59:00)
day 2 - 1 mile (8:35)
day 3 - 13 miles (1:52:20)
day 4 - 2.6 miles (0:25:20)

this is 37 miles, 5 hours 25 minutes, and counts as 2 runs for the 100.

day 1 - 3.5 miles (0:31:04)
day 2 - 3.5 miles (0:32:22)
day 3 - 5.6 miles (0:43:29)
day 4 - 3.8 miles (0:32:40)

this is 16 miles, 2 hours 19 minutes, and counts as 4 runs for the 100.

Is that correct?

correct.

In other words:

Slowman wrote:
this is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest

Shouldn't the first example count as 3 runs using rule 12 (possibly 4 runs, if you run 35+ mins on day 5)?

12. Twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
So, I was thinking about this on today's run: If I complete the 100 runs in 100 days challenge and average about 30 minutes each of the 100 runs; at the end of the challenge what distance race is my body ready for and how/or should I taper for it (rest)?

If you did that, you would average 3.5 hours of running per week. Let's say you run at 12 kph, then you're doing 42 km of running per week. At that volume you're ready to race a 10K and do a half marathon with some level of fade. Its far away from being ready to race a half marathon to your best ability.

At the end of the day, your mileage per week roughly dictates what race you are set up to try. The number of runs you do in the challenge is totally irrelevant other than more runs is generally a good way to get to more mileage. But someone who runs 60 miles per week of 5 runs per week will generally run better than the same athlete doing a program that is 30 miles per week off 10 runs. Mileage is king....frequency is a means.

Allan mentioned that he looks at distance. At the end of the day, that's the real metric that counts as the prime input to real world performance. Frequency IS NOT a fitness predictor. Frequency is only a motivational metric to get to the real metric that mileage is.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful vistas HVP, and SO much better than the 210m track I spent all day running!

Thank you for the kind words CalamityJane - I'll work on getting some more photos as soon as it a) snows, because everything melted and b) I'm capable of hitting a trail again.

If I can slog it out for 6 hours (44.72km for my injured arse; yes I know most of you will say that hardly qualifies as "running" at all) and log it as a SINGLE run, I'm pretty sure the rest of you can deal with your 2hr runs only counting as one.

Hope my ankle/achilles is up for a very slow, easy 30mins tomorrow..

Also: to the person asking what kind of mileage they'd be ready for after the challenge, I haven't run more than 1hr in almost 2 months and cracked out 6x that today - about 4.5x the longest distance since Nov 10th. I do, however, have a pretty solid long-term base of ultras and was averaging over 60km/7 days for the last week or so before my 1 day taper. YMMV.

Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
12. Twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions.

Why wouldn't it work the other way as well? If you ran 37 one one day, but something came up and you could only get 23 in on the next [like: you were cruising along nicely on the TM and someone called you, you had to bail, and never got to finish?]; why can't that count as 2 runs as well?

Not like that would happen, but y'know

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk, calamityjane88, HVP, etc.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RE: Photos

a) I don't run outside with my phone
b) I live at the edge of the Pine Barrens in South Jersey = nothing much to see here, especially now that Xmas decorations are coming down

Sorry
Randy

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
It doesn't seem like many people are excited by badges or little icons to add flair, but I thought to honor those tough ones running in the darkest depths of wintery weather, they could have a snowflake by their name. For us weenies running in summery places, we could have a scorpion. I don't know about indoor running-- those mentally tough treadmillers could maybe have a chicken because they are loco, like pollo loco. Will these little icons add zest and increase happiness and satisfaction? Look, it's just an idea.

Hamsters; gotta be hamsters

Toby wrote:
Which does Austin get? It's theoretically "warm", but I raised a bunch of eyebrows over in the AH thread for saying I run in <40* and raining shirtless with gloves. Getting a snowflake would be fun. There'll be hot days before March whateverth arrives, though.

I generally associate Austin with bats, but they're hibernating now, I believe [or do they migrate? I don't know]

Quote Reply

Prev Next