Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Synthetic,

That is how I did it as well - although I did also do a number of Doubles - all outside.

Perhaps we can be the 'Purists' :)

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

• Ended up with 84 runs in the challenge. 49:57 in total time, 308 miles.
  • Year to date I have logged 42:26 in time with 261 miles. This is +12.5 hours and +75 miles more than any YTD since I picked running back up in 2014.
  • Highest mileage week was 33; most were in the 20s. Two were 0 and 4 due to travel.
  • During this time I haven't done any intervals or structured training, just ran harder when I felt good, slower when I was tired.

Some accomplishments:
  • Other than little aches and niggles, avoided injury.
  • I enjoy running more now that at any point since my return in 2014 (I'm primarily a cyclist).
  • My easy and tempo paces have gotten faster. 8:30 used to be a good threshold effort for me, now it's a good tempo run that I can do for miles. I guess there is something to the notion of more volume = faster times.

Congratulations to everyone who participated, with an extra note of praise for those who ran in the triple digits. Very well done and inspiring!

Thanks for putting on the challenge, and I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Mark
Last edited by: teetopkram: Mar 25, 19 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up with 128 runs & 815 miles. I took the odd day off but did many doubles. I set my own minimum to 5 miles / 8k (with the exception of 3 which should have been days off but I "allowed" myself to only go 4 miles (& being old & slow & in mostly harsh winter conditions, it was more than 30 minutes!)

3rd or 4th time doing the Challenge & I always love it. By far, the bar was set higher this year. I enjoy seeing how I am doing in all 3 categories (best place being duration as an aging runner!) Our winter was pretty harsh. Lots of ice so in search of better footing I would hit the country which meant more wind, lots & lots of cold wind. I am constantly being asked where I have been because of the colour in my face. Out in the elements!! That's why I do this.

Thanks everyone for the friendly competition. Body willing & able, I'll be back next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mlawless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlawless wrote:
Synthetic,

That is how I did it as well - although I did also do a number of Doubles - all outside.

Michael

I'd like to point out that all 'purists' are not actually performing run training in the true spirit of the challenge as it is now written. The actual goal is "to establish a solid run base; to embed a habit of using the run to establish your fitness foundation; and - for some of us - to break out of the my-legs-are-shot paradigm, by which we've convinced ourselves that we can only run once per week."

No where does it say to run 'every day'. In fact, it says specifically in the rules to 'take rest days' when needed-rule #28. If this is because the new rules don't reflect the way the challenge was run in the past, then you are living in the past, my friend.

High horses not allowed...and if you ran every day through thick and thin-congratulations! You get more credit that those that didn't in my eyes, but if you didn't take rest days because you wanted to be a purist...well...TBSS-watch out for the injury bug!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Anyways lets get a list going. Who did 1 run per day, for 100 total consecutive days, of at least 30 minutes? (Thats how many interpret the challenge before the cheat rule got in)

1) synthetic

Bump... I hope there are others?

coyote pelon wrote:
good job. well done. did I see you running in Bonita Sunday morning? if not, it was your twin lookalike.

Did ride there but did not run. I was running around hot chocolate 15k in the morning

I am not sure why you are trying to belittle others with some kind of one upmanship on who did a better 100/100 performance and why you are calling anything a cheat rule.

I did the first 100/100 (ran 102 times in 100 days, no days off, covered over 1000km)....that was in 2006/07....but that's neither here nor there. We modified the rules over time to make it more workable for more people so they had a chance to get to the 100 (or whatever number) but also stay injury free and still use the challenge for motivation.

Overall the main themes of the challenge have been attained. If you want to one up anyone, the ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE CHALLENGE IS TO ONE UP YOURSELF FROM 100 DAYS AGO.

Its not to one up anyone else. Hopefully you're a better athlete than 100 days ago. If you want to one up someone else, show up at a race and beat everyone you can. Hopefully the challenge helps you do that IF that is important to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowman and extended ST running family.

First of all I apologize for not being on ST that much over the last part of the challenge. I was largely busy with my startup and trying this craziness of trying to become a real adult onset swimmer well past 50 years old. These days, I "pass" for a real swimmer, but under all that, is that kid who could always run, until now....or maybe I can run again.

I was the recipient of the challenge. In October I had largely resigned myself to never bothering with running again. However, I had a hunch that I would be able to XC ski, but you can't swim lying down 20-30km per week and suddenly stand up and weight bare and get on skis. I was also worried that all this non weight bearing activity (swim and rowing), would not help my bone structure as I age.

So for the purpose of health, not performance, I felt it might be a good idea to try to some really slow jogging on the treadmill again and "weight bare". That turned into doing 10-15 min sessions a bunch of times per week (that were really more like 6-10x60-90 seconds with stretch brakes" to get ready for 100/100 just to do more weight baring so that I could ski safely again

Both Slowman and I had a hunch if I used the challenge for a 100 day rehab periond perhaps I can return to running.

Well in the final week of the challenge I ran several times outdoors, continuously, and even did a 2K loop as part of a run at a touch over 8 minutes (I have cardio...legs doing what they are supposed to is another story).

I just swam at Masters Provincials Championships this weekend so was off ST, and off running.

I got a relay team gold, 3rd in the 800IM (PB), 4th in the 400IM (PB), 100 fly (justs off PB), 200 fly (really bad), 5th in 200IM (just off PB) and 6th in the 1500m (massive PB). In spite of the 1500m PB the ironic thing, I got my worst placement in the event I did as a triathlete for 30+ years (1500m swim) and better results in the new events that I just learned the strokes for in the last 2.5 years. It was a year exactly since my first swim meet.

....and guess what I did to celebrate my big swim event....I went for an awesome 33 minute run and closed it off with a 4:20 kilometer even though I was totally trashed from racing really hard 9 times over the weekend.

I started feeling that I may just be able to do a sprint tri this summer but I don't want to get too far ahead. Mainly if I can just run whenever I want for small jogs that would be awesome.

In a few weeks, I have a biz trip to Berlin so around work, it would be awesome if I am in good enough run shape to run every day during that week. In the mean time, I am hoping to run at least 30 minutes every morning this week before work. That should be "doable".

Thanks to everyone who did the 100/100 for helping motivate me along. As slowman said, previously I would "give" to the 100/100. This year, I was a recipient of the event! Fingers crossed that I can keep running and my disc/nerve compression all behaves well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hi Slowman and extended ST running family.

Congrats on the successful rehab Dev. I never have been through something like that but assume it feels like it is never going fast enough and it is such a slow process. Looking back at your gains over 14 weeks, it has got to feel good to see all this improvement on load-bearing activities.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize it was over! I kept running every day...even today. Thanks for putting this together again. I should have paid more attention to the logging tracker. A couple times a week I did a 3 mile loop with my dogs in the morning and then another ~10 minutes later in the day to warm up at the gym. That really added up the numbers I didn't get 'credit' for over 3 months since I clearly ignored the tracking/logging suggestions and didn't add anything manually. I think there were a few days I didn't hit 30 minutes total, but I'm sure I was at least 90% and I ran every day. Even in that stupid polar vortex here on the IL/WI border. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
mlawless wrote:
Synthetic,

Michael

I'd like to point out that all 'purists' are not actually performing run training in the true spirit of the challenge as it is now written. The actual goal is "to establish a solid run base; to embed a habit of using the run to establish your fitness foundation; and - for some of us - to break out of the my-legs-are-shot paradigm, by which we've convinced ourselves that we can only run once per week."

No where does it say to run 'every day'. In fact, it says specifically in the rules to 'take rest days' when needed-rule #28. If this is because the new rules don't reflect the way the challenge was run in the past, then you are living in the past, my friend.

High horses not allowed...and if you ran every day through thick and thin-congratulations! You get more credit that those that didn't in my eyes, but if you didn't take rest days because you wanted to be a purist...well...TBSS-watch out for the injury bug!

Times Every Mile Run in this Challenge!! No high horses allowed or wanted! Just support and encouragement.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go, Dev! I hope you get your wish of being able to run every day again.

Well done to everyone who hit their goals, exceeded their goals, or kept on pushing even when things got derailed for them.

I certainly did not run every day - I take Fridays off, and there were 14 of those through the course of the challenge. I did run on one of them, but only one. I ran doubles almost every day that I did not work (Saturdays & Sundays, plus a couple of snow days), and put in two triple run days to reach 120. Mileage wasn't terribly high - I did almost 90km more in 90 runs in 2016/2017 - but compared to 2018 this was a huge block of training. My messed-up right ankle is still problematic, but I ran a 6-hour ultra, a 3-hour trail race, and 2 snowshoe races from Jan 5th to Feb 17th. I also survived about the worst two months of my life due to life/work factors, and some really terrible weather - all but 3 runs were outdoors, with the exceptions (including the 6-hour ultra) being on an indoor track. I really can't stand treadmills!

I'll take you on one final ride..

Saturday morning's run to the market was in sub-freezing temperatures, but much of the ice was gone - I'd have been ok without my screw shoes, and some spots were even completely clear. The singletrack along the river was just frozen mud, though there are still massive chunks of ice along the banks.

What ice was on the trails was that rotten, spongy stuff that actually gives decent traction, so I decided to head to Puslinch Tract to get a couple of hours of trailrunning in. I didn't think I would need my spikes. I was WRONG.

All of the coniferous forest was smooth, melted-and-refrozen-into-teflon ice, often with some meltwater on top. I slipped, I slid, I YIKESed. Somehow managing not to fall, I made my way further east and south to see if the hardwoods would be any better.

It was super fun when an uphill or downhill would -look- like corn snow, but actually turn out to have a glaze of ice on top. I did eventually make it into the southern main trail, which had much less ice.

Hoever, now I had a new problem: loose mud that was even slipperier than the ice, and deep enough that even if I'd had my microspikes I'd be slipping all over the place. I decided to call it and go for a road run later instead, which is how I ended up doing my second triple run day of the challenge - my husband hiked out (confirming that he was sliding all over the place in his microspikes in the mud), we hit the grocery store, then I headed out for a boring old run around my neighbourhood. It had been pretty, but I'd almost fallen too many damn times at Puslinch.

I did another of those the following morning, then saw a friend's instagram post at Eramosa Karst - she'd been running there the day before, and confirmed that the trails were in good shape. "Just a couple of puddles in the meadow".

Um, yeah. I think she actually meant "the entirety of the meadow is engulfed by a couple of huge puddles". I ought to start hiring myself out as a diviner - anyone who needs to find water just needs to follow me on a trail run these days.

What was really nice was finally getting to explore some of the fascinating geological features of the Karst - the only times I'd been there previously, it had either been getting dark or they'd been covered by ice and snow. I found Potruff Cave first.

Then the Nexus Cave entrance and this beautiful little stream and fall.

I finished it off by running through the only real technical bit in the park, which takes you past some impressively mossy pocked dolomite.

So, that wraps up my 100 in 100 adventures for this year. Now I need the trails to firm up a bit so I can start pushing those Saturday runs longer - I've got a 15h23m race (sunrise to sunset) on June 22nd to try to toughen myself up for!

Good game everyone - high fives all 'round!

Quote | Reply
mlawless wrote:
Synthetic,

Michael[/quote]

1. Synthetic
2. Flemish Arrow
3. mlawless

devashish_paul wrote:
cliff notes: I used to do it pure, bla bla #snowflake lower the bar[/quote]

Fyi I started out this challenge with stress fracture in metatarsal
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 26, 19 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Depends on what you mean. I ran every day of the 100 days, but on some days I ran more than once. I also ran subject to the elements (no treadmill); however, some of the participants were running in much more extreme conditions than I was. It was rarely below -6 Celsius (ca. 21 Fahrenheit) here.

Hats off to those of you who braved extreme cold each and every single day (or most days).

P.S. I think being outside each day (running and sometimes biking to work) really helped strengthen my immune system. I was able to survive several nasty waves of illness at work, etc.

So add yourself to the list. PS I ran harsh conditions (mammoth)

1. Synthetic
2. Flemish Arrow

I'll add myself to your purist/traditionalist list.
1. Synthetic
2. Flemish Arrow
3. Vincible

I did two doubles to get more miles in, not to game the system or to build in a cushion day. I started streak running over 11 years ago, and have done 3mi/day for the past 27 months. I feel that it is a great way to be mindful of our health and to take advantage of, for lack of a better word, blessings.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How good is it a bloke called synthetic is banging on about being pure.

Oh the fine line here...hero or tool.

Shame to distract from achievements of all.

Slowman has mentioned previously the value of the cluster and the 100/100 cluster was exactly what I needed to get back into and stay focused. That cluster kept me going. Didn’t matter if they were doing it each day or not. Admire those that did but doesn’t make you any purer than anyone else having a go.

Yep, I’m going with tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Who did 1 run per day, for 100 total consecutive days, of at least 30 minutes?

1. Synthetic
2. Flemish Arrow
3. Vincible
4. mlawless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This challenge coincided with exactly the time range where I started to consistently double for the first time. Along with consistently doubling, I consistently slowed down my easy pace, which dominated most of my runs!

Some stats!
152/100
1255 miles
Days with 0 mins running: 3
Days with less than 30 mins running: 8
Number of races: 5
Number of PRs: 5 :)
Biggest week: 120 miles

There were probably quite a few <30min runs that I could have combined for more count, but I was too lazy and just let everything be based off Strava sync :P.

Prior to this, my best running performance was a 2:46 high marathon in Oct 2018, and at the end of this I ran a 1:16 mid (roughly 2:40 full equivalence) at NYC Half last weekend!

Feel like I still have lots to gain, going to keep at it for the rest of this year and hopefully beyond! Congratulations to everyone else for all the awesome efforts over these 100 days. It's amazing how much more resilient my body feels with higher frequency running, versus lower frequency running in the past, even though one might think at first that the higher volume would do the opposite!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TL/DR - well done to everyone that took part in the challenge; ignore Synthetic's poll

This is the first time I have participated in 100/100.

I didn't do it because I wanted praise from others as to how tough I was, how pure I was etc - I did it to see if I could.

I made it to 100 in 92 days, after taking a big chunk off whilst on holidays in the United States (I live in Singapore). I did a bunch of runs inside, I did a bunch of runs outside, I did some doubles, some triples, and made it fit in with my life.

I'm really proud of myself for finishing, and am impressed by everyone that finished - whether they ran every day or not. I think your approach in aiming to heap "extra" praise on yourself and others that ran every day is odd, and reminds me why I sometimes really hate the Internet.

Congratulations to everyone that took part, and congratulations to everyone that finished. This challenge is awesome motivation, and presents a great personal challenge. Not only is it hard to run 100 times in 100 days to start with, fitting the runs in with life is a challenge as well - so, kudos.

Synthetic - I think you should read this article by John Kelly (one of 15 finishers of the Barkley Marathons, Kona AG contender, and a straight-up badass, despite his protests otherwise). Well done to you for finishing, but I am sad that you felt the need to heap extra praise on yourself.

http://www.randomforestrunner.com/...look-how-tough-i-am/
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [njosey17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
njosey17 wrote:
TL/DR - well done to everyone that took part in the challenge; ignore Synthetic's poll

This is the first time I have participated in 100/100.

I didn't do it because I wanted praise from others as to how tough I was, how pure I was etc - I did it to see if I could.

Congratulations to everyone that took part, and congratulations to everyone that finished. This challenge is awesome motivation, and presents a great personal challenge. Not only is it hard to run 100 times in 100 days to start with, fitting the runs in with life is a challenge as well - so, kudos.

I was one of the run every day runners for the 100/100. I did it for all of the reasons that I bolded in your comment. It is not to be a hero, it is because it is the way that I need to approach this challenge and the challenge that is life. I know from experience that when I start to take days off, I start to miss workouts and I go down a dark spiral of unhealthfulness.

I know that it is not part of an optimal training plan to run everyday, but I like it, so results be damned.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [njosey17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That blog post ...tldr.

The purists have the place to hold people accountable, not show off. I guess you think iron elliptical cowboy did 50 140.6 in 50 days then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
That blog post ...tldr.

The purists have the place to hold people accountable, not show off. I guess you think iron elliptical cowboy did 50 140.6 in 50 days then...

No, they (you) don't. Nobody appointed you as judge of what "counts", or appreciates you demeaning their accomplisments as being somehow "less than" yours, or touting your own as somehow "greater" than everyone else's. As has been stated many times this was not (is not) a COMPETITION...it was/is a CHALLENGE. The purpose of which is to motivate people to do MORE than they thought was possible.

Vincible and the others who ran every single day have taken a very different approach to THEIR accomplishment. They have remained positive about the work of others, while you choose to present yourself on some kind of alter to be admired above all others.

So, why don't you find a way to be positive and motivating instead of acting like an arrogant prick.

ETA:

Quote:
I guess you think iron elliptical cowboy did 50 140.6 in 50 days then...
THIS is not THAT.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 27, 19 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The purpose of which is to motivate people to do MORE than they thought was possible.

This is exactly what the challenge did for me. I was participating for the first time and did not have much of a run base, so I knew that aiming for 100 in 100 was not necessarily realistic for me. After reading the first post on this thread from Slowman I decided to aim for 70/100. Having the gold/silver/bronze medals on the tracker was a big help and I was very motivated to stay in the bronze medal zone. As the challenge went on I could tell my fitness was improving and I started taking less rest days and even did a couple of doubles to chase the silver medal and ended with 80 out of 100 runs.

I estimate that I probably ran 30 or 40 more times over the hundred days than I would have done without the challenge and although I ran slow and often only did the 30 minutes, I've seen a big jump in my run fitness and intend to continue to try and run more frequently in the past. Next year I want to try the full 100 in 100.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [UK2SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2SD wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
The purpose of which is to motivate people to do MORE than they thought was possible.

This is exactly what the challenge did for me. I was participating for the first time and did not have much of a run base, so I knew that aiming for 100 in 100 was not necessarily realistic for me. After reading the first post on this thread from Slowman I decided to aim for 70/100. Having the gold/silver/bronze medals on the tracker was a big help and I was very motivated to stay in the bronze medal zone. As the challenge went on I could tell my fitness was improving and I started taking less rest days and even did a couple of doubles to chase the silver medal and ended with 80 out of 100 runs.

I estimate that I probably ran 30 or 40 more times over the hundred days than I would have done without the challenge and although I ran slow and often only did the 30 minutes, I've seen a big jump in my run fitness and intend to continue to try and run more frequently in the past. Next year I want to try the full 100 in 100.

Excellent. Congrats on the GAINS.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [UK2SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outstanding! Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes me sad that, rather than taking my point and simply disagreeing with it, you chose to criticize me. But then I remember - it's the Internet.

I hope that you are satisfied with your performance in the challenge. Well done for completing it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
njosey17 wrote:
It makes me sad that, rather than taking my point and simply disagreeing with it, you chose to criticize me. But then I remember - it's the Internet.

I hope that you are satisfied with your performance in the challenge. Well done for completing it

It warms my heart to see that most see the good in the world and emphasize the positive.

Let’s all try to do exactly that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I am late to the game, but heading out for run 4/4 post 100/100 LOL...talk about 100 days of procrastination!
Quote Reply

Prev Next