Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run 73 is the first run I have pulled the plug on so far. Blood sugar crashed (diabetic). Luckily, still early in the day so i will get it in. Haven't had a day off since day before challenge started. Still getting biking hours in each week. Prior to this challenge I hadn't ran in a few months and at least 6 months with any consistency. My body seems to be liking the work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:

And I may be derailed due to injury. Day Fifty-effing-seven. I go out for an easy 5 miler, and manage to give myself a calf strain. It hurts. Oh man, it hurts. Not likely to run tomorrow, which is a shame. Might even stop me for many days, based on prior experiences. Meanwhile, MsPaulDavis, after weeks of mostly very slow running (including the Arches 50 miler in UT), throws down a 6:19min mile split "just because". I don't expect life to be fair, but really ... sometimes.

Well, this calf strain is too serious for me to continue on with 100/100. I waited a couple of days, took a very easy run. Soreness worsened. Did an even easier run the next day, worse soreness. I've had these before, and it typically takes at least a month for them to fully heal up (sometimes more like two months). I don't think it makes sense to ignore the damage in favor of 100/100, even though it makes me very sad. I've really enjoyed daily running, and will have a hard time finding some alternative.

This was my 5th 100/100 ... good for two, now failed at three. Not happy, but sometimes thems the breaks.

Meanwhile MsPaulDavis (not her real name) continues on and will almost certainly hit the target ontime, as normal.
Last edited by: PaulDavis: Feb 16, 19 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
PaulDavis wrote:

And I may be derailed due to injury. Day Fifty-effing-seven. I go out for an easy 5 miler, and manage to give myself a calf strain. It hurts. Oh man, it hurts. Not likely to run tomorrow, which is a shame. Might even stop me for many days, based on prior experiences. Meanwhile, MsPaulDavis, after weeks of mostly very slow running (including the Arches 50 miler in UT), throws down a 6:19min mile split "just because". I don't expect life to be fair, but really ... sometimes.

Well, this calf strain is too serious for me to continue on with 100/100. I waited a couple of days, took a very easy run. Soreness worsened. Did an even easier run the next day, worse soreness. I've had these before, and it typically takes at least a month for them to fully heal up (sometimes more like two months). I don't think it makes sense to ignore the damage in favor of 100/100, even though it makes me very sad. I've really enjoyed daily running, and will have a hard time finding some alternative.

This was my 5th 100/100 ... good for two, now failed at three. Not happy, but sometimes thems the breaks.

Meanwhile MsPaulDavis (not her real name) continues on and will almost certainly hit the target ontime, as normal.

I am so sorry to read this Mr 'Paul Davis' (probably not his real name)...It's funny how often this happens during this challenge and we are accumulating some real fatigue in the legs, so I do hope people are 'listening to their bodies'. You will be back and are very smart for recognizing that it's time to rest. No one knows the time to recovery but I've often needed 4-6 weeks for my own calf strains. Send my best to 'MsPaul Davis'! Hope you are back quicker than you think...

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
This challenge has been helpful for me this week. I was stressed/anxious/depressed Monday through Thursday and all those mornings it helped to think "just get to 30 min then you can be done", most days I did more than 30 minutes.
Had an unplanned rest day yesterday as I woke up sick.

60/64 , in 58 days of running (and 58 runs; have done two, two-hour runs)

You, Dr. T., are amazing!

Tom_hampton wrote:

I took my first OFF day in 4 weeks---in that time I've run 162 miles. I even had one 7-day period where I completed over 50 miles. I've taken a very heavy frequency focus...doing multiple runs every 2nd day on average, and every other day for the last 10 days. In the last 4 weeks, I've doubled 10 times and tripled once. I'm at 74/62 with 301 miles, and that has me siting 18th in the standings as I type. I'm pretty damn happy with that, as a 50 yo first timer to this challenge.

This last week, has revealed that I need to do a better job of recovering (mostly sleeping). The fatigue of all those miles, especially the doubles and triples started to catch up with me the last few days. I'm sure the business travel, and associated drinking/poor nutrition/worse sleep habits didn't help.

I'm hanging in for a few more weeks, and still intend to finish out the challenge with a "best effort". After all, it is a one hudred day challenge, not a 62 day challenge. I'm proud of having broken into the top20 with some seriously amazing runners. I don't want to give that back.

BEAST MODE!! You should be pretty damn happy, Tom.

edbikebabe wrote:
I take A/L (annual leave aka vacation) for "me" time quite often in the summer. Either for a bike ride or run with the dog (and I don't even race). My husband worked crazy hours - having alone time was necessary.

I hear that. A/L for me is usually cutting down Friday or Monday to a half day. My receptionists don't like it as I have too many patients that need to be moved...I do tell them early...Alone time is good, but you should race, just sayin...

I was happy with my 'double double' today. Did the Norseman Bike race at 10 am and again at 4pm. Followed by a run each time. Gotta stay somewhat close to target in that #st100in100race. Fun to watch my buddy Rusty (aka Tankboy) trying to crack the top 20-and seeing Tom H and mistressK all in the same neck of the woods. And FTR, is it me, or does mistressk take the best pics?

Sad to know my buddy Bobby (BT_DreamChaser) drove nails into his foot limiting his training over the past few days, but I know he'll be back. He's a stud. Even did the Norseman race today-tough as nails-HA!

Time to rest-got another big day tomorrow. My race is now only 11 weeks away!!!!! Arg!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had a weird foot pain creep up Wednesday to today. I'm TBD on the rest of the challenge. We'll see...

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have run everyday so far. today stomach virus hit hard and my garmin bricked. i will not give up... had to bail on a half marathon with 4 miles in, and just ran back to the start. a lot of good fitness down the toilet
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
ZippityDuDah wrote:
berndog wrote:
I wish I could say I am sooo much faster now after getting this far but I’m only a little faster. Hahahaha

I'm just tired, not a bit faster. But maybe when the dust settles in March and sanity returns, I'll see a benefit! a final crazy Monday of runs, so now I'm coasting to the end.

Nice work everyone, winter gets tough, with weather, illnesses, etc.

Cheers!

I was certain of exactly the same thing and then did a 10k last weekend and set all kinds of PRs along the way. I was very surprised. I'll bet you will be too.

Today I broke 3 hours for the marathon (2:56:27), 4 years ago I ran it in 4:30:01. (Full front door brag mode on this one)

The most significant thing in that was frequency, I’ve been running easy BarryP style for a couple of years now, stick with it, it works.

Thankyou barryP, thankyou 100/100, thankyou slowtwitch. There’s no way today would’ve happened without you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Today I broke 3 hours for the marathon (2:56:27), 4 years ago I ran it in 4:30:01

incredible. HUGE CONGRATULATIONS. this is something I hope to achieve years down the road. I can only imagine the hard work to go from 4+ to -3 in four years. HUGE

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Done! Pretty exciting to see your improvement. The 100/100 and Barry P are good, but your commitment is the difference maker.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of you to say, Dale! I certainly try to find some beauty in every run, and endeavour to share some of that with you all.

Today was the Snowshoe Canada 2019 Canadian Championships at Craigleith Ski Club, and I stupidly tried my hand (or rather, legs) at the 10k.

Noone said there would be 500ft of elevation gain in the first kilometre. Noone said a bunch of the course was on the Bruce Trail and side trails. Noone warned me I'd blow a turn coming off the switchbacks at the end and do an extra 3/4km...which consisted of bombing down a black diamond ski hill, then having to hike back up.

It was incredibly beautiful, though, and I didn't die or quite come in last. Hardest 10k I've ever done, but so completely worth it to see these sights...even while wondering if I'd break my fool neck.

View of Georgian Bay from the opening kilometre - we started about 25ft above Bay level

The "enchanted forest" - no argument here

Most of the course was out-and-back, so these steep climbs became almost butt-slide descents

Tiny creek valley, with beautiful but narrow wooden footbridges

Georgian Bay framed by the Blue Mountains

Just put your faith in the cleats and go..

My quads are shot, my lungs feel like I smoked a pack of cigarettes, and I banged my left ankle twice really badly with the opposite snowshoe...but I wouldn't trade that beautiful sunshine and those stunning views for anything.

Last edited by: mistressk: Feb 17, 19 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{pink} You would run faster if you didn't stop to take pictures {pink}

Seriously, totally awesome pictures and accomplishment.

Also, congratulations to SteveM on the sub 3, quite inspiring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

Today I broke 3 hours for the marathon (2:56:27), 4 years ago I ran it in 4:30:01. (Full front door brag mode on this one)

BOOOOOM!!!!! Congrats Steve, that's huge!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm back after the H1N1 haitus and almost clear of it.

I was running on a sheet-of-ice-track this morning, while my son was on a real sheet playing in a hockey tourney. Now you'd think that shiny ice would be a disaster for running, but my theory was that if I stayed "stacked" and my foot-toe strike was directly underneath me, there are no forces other than vertical into the track. So if I keep form, I could relax knowing I would not slip out.

That was true. Took easy laps and other than some slippage in toeing off a few times, didn't slide once. Also because the force on the foot was directly down, this improved traction.

Of course level and controlled the entire way, not possible to do on a road or angled surfaces.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

The most significant thing in that was frequency, I’ve been running easy BarryP style for a couple of years now, stick with it, it works.

Thankyou barryP, thankyou 100/100, thankyou slowtwitch. There’s no way today would’ve happened without you.

Holy crap - how did I manage to miss this? CONGRATS Steve! That's a massive accomplishment - stand proud!

Thanks dogchili - I figured if nothing else the rescue team could at least have some nice pics to look at when they hauled my frozen corpse out of the ravine!

Last edited by: mistressk: Feb 19, 19 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

Great job!!!! That's VERY significant!!!

What's next, then?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
FTR, is it me, or does mistressk take the best pics?

I agree, as well

And she has an awesome attitude to go with them

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'm barely hanging on to the edge of the medal podium, but I'm doing OK with that

Monday, I ran the annual Screaming Tortise President's Day 5K - a virtual, make you own route event, where the route MUST include a road/street named for a US President

My own bib options were:

The route measured a little long, at 3.2M, which I covered in 26:12, then jogged around the block a couple times [another 1/2 mile or so] to cool down and complete the 30-minute minimum

Story on the heads: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/...ads-looks-180958129/

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
What's next, then?

breaking 2 of course

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Feb 20, 19 11:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
SteveM wrote:

Great job!!!! That's VERY significant!!!

What's next, then?

I'm taking this week off, haven't had a full week off since March, so whilst I might slip in the 100/100 it's probably the right call for the rest of the year.

Short term there's a local 10k in ~6 weeks that I raced in 2016 (50:46), there's a sniff of breaking 40.

Longer term I'm trying to figure out what to roll my millage back too. Last year I was just over 40mpw during tri-season, & ~55 for marathon (with a couple of 65's near the end). Whilst I could bump the tri-season millage up I'm considering keeping it the same as last year & trying to work in an extra swim or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going from over 50 to under 40 is a massive achievement!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed this challenge last year but didn't join thinking there was no way I was going to make the cut based on my training then. This time around I realized to start date was actually right around I committed to training hard in running this year, doing doubles as much as possible so I enrolled and sync'd my Strava log!

Feels crazy to know what I thought a year ago, and now to see that I'm already over the 100 mark. Severely late to the party as I haven't been (lurking) on ST as much this year since I switched entirely to run focused, but will take my time reading through, catching up, and following the rest of the journey!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [qintegral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude!

There was a nice group of 3-5 of us moving around for the first couple spots of top mileage. Now you’ve just gone and blown all of that up.

Nice job committing to just running- hope it brings you lots and lots of gains!

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:
ZippityDuDah wrote:
berndog wrote:
I wish I could say I am sooo much faster now after getting this far but I’m only a little faster. Hahahaha

CONGRATULATIONS Steve! Job well done!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
Dude!

There was a nice group of 3-5 of us moving around for the first couple spots of top mileage. Now you’ve just gone and blown all of that up.

Nice job committing to just running- hope it brings you lots and lots of gains!

Thanks fartleker!!

Maybe in fairness of competition I should unenroll in this competition and wait until next year... does feel wrong to just drop in this late in the game when people have been watching, comparing, and logging earnestly from the start!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [qintegral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I have been offline a bit with biz trip to UK and India...howeve, I have been swimming a ton on this trip as I have access to good pools and have run 4 days this week (one of the runs did not count since for the challenge since it was 20 minutes). I see many of you are already at or well passed 100 runs with still 1 month left in the challenge.

I reached my 25th run today and my body is making progress. I have an outside chance of hitting 50 runs but I have swimming provincials on the last 3 days of the challenge and I really want to be tapered for provincials, so it I get to 50 it will need to be with a days to spare meaning I need to run every day from now to then. Let's see.

By the way, I ran on this Technogym Self powered Skill Mill treadmill today at my hotel in Mumbai:

Keeping in mind that I have weakness in my bad leg, but the perceived exersion to just jog at 10 kph (10 min miles/6mph), was really hard. On the Woodway curve at the gym back home I can hold 7 mph to 8 mph without my cardio going through the roof, and my cardio is pretty solid training for the 400IM and 200 fly in swimming so it's not a cardio thing.

I might try an outdoor run tomorrow and do laps around all the boys playing cricket. If I get to my goal of my first 30 min run without any breaks this would be a great spot to do it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Super strong. 108 runs / 900+ miles. Goodness.

Alan was saying the other day how he didn't think there was benefit to padding run totals with little 30m runs. Here you go padding your run totals with 9 milers.

Well done.

PS: No reason to appolgize for kicking everyone's butt!
Quote Reply

Prev Next