Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, general question. Its my understanding and I may be wrong but if you miss a day you should just skip it. Why is that? If this is the case, take this week I had a workout scheduled for this AM but I did a longish run and a heavy leg day yesterday and Im therefore not going to bike given how sore I am. I cant bike tomorrow so Fri is the next opportunity. Isnt it better to still get the scheduled workout in and "push" the plan a couple days vs just missing todays workout altogether? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed reply Bryce! Based on the questions you outlined it seems like I need to do a combination of things. While I don't need supra-threshold efforts in my tris, I do need to get stronger, especially on climbs. Since I have been doing the low volume plans (due to time constraints) it sounds like a combination of off-season focus on increased volume and maybe a strength program would be beneficial. I have definitely been making progress and am not totally focused on just my FTP, I am a stronger rider than I was, just want to get stronger, especially on the hills/climbing. And at 57, I likely am not taking enough recovery.

Appreciate the insight! Since I have a lot of time before my next race, I'll try the higher volume general plan and see if I notice a difference in my responses to the training. Then I'll likely transition to mid-volume sweet spot base before embarking on the ironman plans again.

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce and the TR team,
I am due for an FTP soon and it will be my first time using the new ramp test. I am much less hesitant about testing for a change.
One thing I could not quite figure out-it appears compared to a 20 min FTP test that uses a 95% scaling for the FTP estimate, the ramp test uses 75% of your best 1 min power at the end. However, when I look at the test in TR set at my current FTP, that last minute looks like it is basically what I need to do to maintain my current FTP (ie if my FTP is 300, the last ramp is around 400). If, like most of us, we are keen to see an improvement in FTP and our trainer is in erg mode, how can we get an improvement in FTP estimate if the last ramp does not exceed current FTP estimates by much more than that correction factor? Have I missed something or interpreted the correction factor wrong??!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2pyrfam wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply Bryce! Based on the questions you outlined it seems like I need to do a combination of things. While I don't need supra-threshold efforts in my tris, I do need to get stronger, especially on climbs. Since I have been doing the low volume plans (due to time constraints) it sounds like a combination of off-season focus on increased volume and maybe a strength program would be beneficial. I have definitely been making progress and am not totally focused on just my FTP, I am a stronger rider than I was, just want to get stronger, especially on the hills/climbing. And at 57, I likely am not taking enough recovery.

Appreciate the insight! Since I have a lot of time before my next race, I'll try the higher volume general plan and see if I notice a difference in my responses to the training. Then I'll likely transition to mid-volume sweet spot base before embarking on the ironman plans again.

Thanks,

John

Hey John,

If you want to get faster on hills/ climbing, then a higher volume plan is absolutely what you need to get to the next level. Keep up the good work!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Hi Bryce, general question. Its my understanding and I may be wrong but if you miss a day you should just skip it. Why is that? If this is the case, take this week I had a workout scheduled for this AM but I did a longish run and a heavy leg day yesterday and Im therefore not going to bike given how sore I am. I cant bike tomorrow so Fri is the next opportunity. Isnt it better to still get the scheduled workout in and "push" the plan a couple days vs just missing todays workout altogether? Thanks

Firstly, I'd like to clarify that if you miss a workout, that doesn't automatically mean that you should skip it. If you are on a lower volume plan where you can make up that workout on a different day without delaying the rest of your training, then it would be a good idea to do so. However, delaying the rest of your training over a skipped workout is not the best use of your time.

When you are training for an event, you have a limited period of time to train before your event day. When you miss a workout, that will not make a huge difference in the grand scheme of your training. Maybe your cycling TSS is a bit low that week. However, if you put the rest of your training on hold by pushing it back a few days, that can have negative consequences when it comes to your plan's timing with respect to your event. Also, it created a mental strain of trying to "get caught up", whereas just accepting the deficit and moving on allows you to stay "on top" of your training so to speak.

Another way to think about it is in terms of weekly TSS. So if you skip your Bike workout on Tuesday, your overall TSS for Tuesday is Low. Whether you push your plan back to make up the ride or just skip the missed ride, your Tuesday TSS will be low. As a result, your TSS for the week will be low. No matter how you cut it, your training for the week was not did not measure up to the prescribed workload. That being said, by accepting the missed workout and moving on, you can stay on top of your plan and be sure to nail your next week's training.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if there is anything I can clarify.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
I am due for an FTP soon and it will be my first time using the new ramp test. I am much less hesitant about testing for a change.
One thing I could not quite figure out-it appears compared to a 20 min FTP test that uses a 95% scaling for the FTP estimate, the ramp test uses 75% of your best 1 min power at the end. However, when I look at the test in TR set at my current FTP, that last minute looks like it is basically what I need to do to maintain my current FTP (ie if my FTP is 300, the last ramp is around 400). If, like most of us, we are keen to see an improvement in FTP and our trainer is in erg mode, how can we get an improvement in FTP estimate if the last ramp does not exceed current FTP estimates by much more than that correction factor? Have I missed something or interpreted the correction factor wrong??!!

Hey there!

While the test preview tops out at your current FTP, when completing the test you will see that new steps constantly generate until failure. As you you get close to your set FTP, every step you finish will result in another step being added, allowing you to keep riding until failure. We chose to have the Ramp Test progress dynamically so that you only see a few steps in front of you at a time, while still allowing you to push yourself as far as you possibly can.

Good luck on your test!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:

If your FTP is currently 300, your last ramp won't be 400. It will keep climbing. The preview is just a preview. It will build from a very low intensity of low 100's up to the point you fail. My FTP is about 330 right now and I topped out midway through the 440 ramp. Its wild. You'll be doing just fine and then the last two ramps steps will just destroy your ability to keep going. It will keep ramping through 440, 460, 500 whatever if you keep going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

Hey there!

While the test preview tops out at your current FTP, when completing the test you will see that new steps constantly generate until failure. As you you get close to your set FTP, every step you finish will result in another step being added, allowing you to keep riding until failure. We chose to have the Ramp Test progress dynamically so that you only see a few steps in front of you at a time, while still allowing you to push yourself as far as you possibly can.

Good luck on your test!

Thanks Bryce, that explains it! Did I miss it somewhere on the TR pages that it explains that? Sorry if I did!!
Keep up the good work TR, it has revolutionised my training since I started (over 18 months ago now).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, hope you can answer a quick question. Following on from my first iron distance tri in late July, I am now focussing on a December marathon but keen to keep up the bike and swim fitness. I see that the low volume sweet spot block is 3.5hrs a week - can you advise how that breaks down into individual sessions and whether you think this would be a suitable programme? With the focus on running I need to make sure I can a) fit it in, and b) it's not going to leave my legs totally smoked. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All - Sorry if this is covered already, I cant find a thread! Does anyone have a link to send Power to Trainerroad via Viiiiva HRM from a Garmin Vector 2 on IOS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Thanks Bryce - will be starting that today! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
Hi All - Sorry if this is covered already, I cant find a thread! Does anyone have a link to send Power to Trainerroad via Viiiiva HRM from a Garmin Vector 2 on IOS?

Hey there!

Unfortunately we do not support any bridging devices at this time :(

Sorry I don't have any better news for you!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryan, that's unfortunate! I gather there is no other way using IOS devices to connect to trainerroad using an ant+ device? Are there any plans in the future? Can it connect to an android device in this way?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking to get the off season going with a drop back to base and focus on the bike. I'm looking at SSB plans but trying to figure out volume. Based on my most recent volume, I would be between low and medium, however if I am wanting to focus on the bike while simply maintaining the swim/run I could theoretically fit in the high volume plan. It's a large jump from medium to high though which is likely too big at the moment.

I guess the question is, how do you go from medium to high because the increase between low/med/high appears pretty significant.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
Thanks Bryan, that's unfortunate! I gather there is no other way using IOS devices to connect to trainerroad using an ant+ device? Are there any plans in the future? Can it connect to an android device in this way?
In Reply To:

Hey Brian,

While we don't officially support it, the North Pole CABLE as a bridging device that can allow users to pair an ANT+ sensor via Bluetooth. Another option is to the use a Wahoo ANT+ Key and an Apple Lighting to 30 pin connector. I have included the links to these products below. This is a bit combersome, however, it is the only officially supported method of pairing ANT+ sensors to an iOS device.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD823AM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/wahoo-key-16

You can learn more about connecting to iOS devices here:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201618914-ANT-Connectivity#ios-section

As for Android, many modern Androids have ANT+ built into the phone itself, so you would be able to pair with no additional hardware. For Androids that do not have ANT+ built in, users can use the appropriate adapter and the USB ANT+ stick of their choice. You can learn more connecting to Android here:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201618914-ANT-Connectivity#android-section

I hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, cheeky bump to my query from earlier in the week!

Hope you can answer a quick question. Following on from my first iron distance tri in late July, I am now focussing on a December marathon but keen to keep up the bike and swim fitness. I see that the low volume sweet spot block is 3.5hrs a week - can you advise how that breaks down into individual sessions and whether you think this would be a suitable programme? With the focus on running I need to make sure I can a) fit it in, and b) it's not going to leave my legs totally smoked. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

I was thinking yesterday about how after my first year or so, I've never really had time to do a full base/build/specialty cycle since I like to race often. 24 weeks is an awful long time. Have you guys ever considered shorter blocks that could be used by those of us who maintain fitness pretty much year round? If I was aiming to cut the cycle down for the Half Distance plans to say 16-18 weeks, where would you suggest the cuts be made? Would this carry over to say the century plans?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm peaking for an oly on December 1st. I've been doing the Oly build, mid volume and will transition into the Oly specialty mid volume in two weeks.

I've been doing a ton of long, 4-6 hour rides on the weekends (Z2, but all climbing), and I've also just started riding my bike to work. The commute is 28 miles, one way. (So almost an additional 60 miles, 3x a week). I plan on riding Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

I attempted Givens on Tuesday, managed to get through what I could get through (130%? really? I was hovering around 120%), and rode to work (So, 60 min on the trainer + 3 hours Z2). I rode Wednesday (3 hours) and Thursday (3.5 hours). Thursday I swam in the morning on the way to work, but I was going to try to do Elephants (6x5'@108%) after work on the road, but I was absolutely smoked. It was all I could do to get back to the house after 2 intervals. My question really is: will all this extra Z2/Z3 commuting be beneficial, even at the expense of some of the quality of the threshold/vo2 max work?

I love riding to work and it's a good alternative to not being able to run right now due to a stress fracture in my foot. However, is there a way I can fit it all in? OR how can I adjust to make it manageable... plus adding in running when I get the go-ahead from a doctor (hopefully sooner than later).

If I fit in all that I want to fit in, I'll easily be logging 20+ hours in a week... Should I switch to the low volume plans and attempt to do the intervals during my commute?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Sep 21, 18 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiscotsg wrote:
Hi Bryce, cheeky bump to my query from earlier in the week!

Hope you can answer a quick question. Following on from my first iron distance tri in late July, I am now focussing on a December marathon but keen to keep up the bike and swim fitness. I see that the low volume sweet spot block is 3.5hrs a week - can you advise how that breaks down into individual sessions and whether you think this would be a suitable programme? With the focus on running I need to make sure I can a) fit it in, and b) it's not going to leave my legs totally smoked. Thanks!

Hey there!

I'm really sorry I missed your question in the feed earlier this week. The way the Low Volume Sweet Spot plan breaks down into three days:

Tuesday: 1 hour workout
Thursday: 1 hour workout
Saturday: 1.5 hour workout

Of course, you are not tied to these specific days, and you can complete each workout on any day you please. Typically, we recommend at least a day of rest between workouts, but outside of that framework you can adjust however you like :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Hey Bryce,

I was thinking yesterday about how after my first year or so, I've never really had time to do a full base/build/specialty cycle since I like to race often. 24 weeks is an awful long time. Have you guys ever considered shorter blocks that could be used by those of us who maintain fitness pretty much year round? If I was aiming to cut the cycle down for the Half Distance plans to say 16-18 weeks, where would you suggest the cuts be made? Would this carry over to say the century plans?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is really no replacement for a full Base phase. For optimal progression season after season, it is important to take those 12 weeks to rebuild your foundation for the season coming up. Of course, you can get by without re-visiting Base, but you will likely see your progress begin to stagnate.

For example, you'll notice that Elite level athletes don't race at the highest level year round. They take the time to build their fitness so that they peak for the races that are most important to them. As amateur athletes, we can benefit from this training structure as well. The key is race prioritization. You can race year round, but you can't peak year round. It is just not possible. So pick the "A" races that are your key races for the season, and allow the other races to be "B" and "C" priority. Then, structure your Base/ Build/ Specialty progression around these A races, and allow the B and C races to fall where they may. By following the Base/ Build/ Specialty progression each season, your fitness trajectory year over year will continue to improve, likely to the point where your "not peaked" fitness exceeds your "peak" fitness from years past.

I hope this makes sense, sorry I don't have any advice for training outside of this structure. Let me know if there is anything I can clear up for you!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I'm peaking for an oly on December 1st. I've been doing the Oly build, mid volume and will transition into the Oly specialty mid volume in two weeks.

I've been doing a ton of long, 4-6 hour rides on the weekends (Z2, but all climbing), and I've also just started riding my bike to work. The commute is 28 miles, one way. (So almost an additional 60 miles, 3x a week). I plan on riding Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

I attempted Givens on Tuesday, managed to get through what I could get through (130%? really? I was hovering around 120%), and rode to work (So, 60 min on the trainer + 3 hours Z2). I rode Wednesday (3 hours) and Thursday (3.5 hours). Thursday I swam in the morning on the way to work, but I was going to try to do Elephants (6x5'@108%) after work on the road, but I was absolutely smoked. It was all I could do to get back to the house after 2 intervals. My question really is: will all this extra Z2/Z3 commuting be beneficial, even at the expense of some of the quality of the threshold/vo2 max work?

I love riding to work and it's a good alternative to not being able to run right now due to a stress fracture in my foot. However, is there a way I can fit it all in? OR how can I adjust to make it manageable... plus adding in running when I get the go-ahead from a doctor (hopefully sooner than later).

If I fit in all that I want to fit in, I'll easily be logging 20+ hours in a week... Should I switch to the low volume plans and attempt to do the intervals during my commute?

Hey Cloy!

The short answer is no, the extra Z2/Z3 commuting is not beneficial if it comes at the expense of your structured training. Even at a very easy zone 2 pace, you are adding about 300-400 TSS per week in the form of unstructured commuting. That is a ton of additional stress to be adding on, and it makes sense that it renders you unable to complete your high intensity workouts.

Now, communiting one day per week, with a workload of about 100 TSS could be beneficial provided:
- It does not prevent you from completing your structured workouts
- You are recovering adequately and not digging yourself a deeper hole

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions for me, and good luck with your upcoming race :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First a big thank you to the entire TR team. My HIM went from 2:45 to 2:28 in only 13 weeks.

Now I begin to plan my next season and during the winter I will focus more on the running part and I wont have too much time for the bike.

My plan is 10 weeks with 2 session per week. Afterwards I still have 24 weeks to my first HIM and I will follow the Base+Build+Specialty HIM plan (with the complete 3-4x/week).

My question is: Is there a plan where I can extract my 2 sessions per week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Morning,

I've been using TR for 2 1/2 as part of my duathlon/triathlon training. Multisport season is now effectively over in New England and I have taken up cyclocross. I have to admit, this type of riding is diametrically opposite to what I'm used to in du/tri. Are there any specific workouts that would help with the sudden accelerations we tend to have? If you have workouts that help riding through mud and sand or weaving through trees all while trying to stay upright, even better.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

I used TR this season for a full distance and am very happy with my results!

I am planning to do more 70.3's next year and not any fulls so I have a few questions for you.

I am going to attempt to participate in 3 x 70.3's and all are roughly 1 month apart from each other (the first being in May 31st and then June 30th and July 28th). I technically would like to do best at the July 28th (but I am not too concerned - this is more for fun) so would I set the plan up to be finished at that race or would I set the plan up to finish for the May 31st race and treat those races as a B and C race and maintenance in-between the months?

The rest of the year will just be trickled in xterras and other fun bike races.

The other question I have is do you have a general FTP pacing chart that is recommended to follow during the race? I am not sure if I missed this or not but during my Full I just took a stab at it and went with a 75% FTP effort.

Thanks again for all your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrissie1993 wrote:
First a big thank you to the entire TR team. My HIM went from 2:45 to 2:28 in only 13 weeks.

Now I begin to plan my next season and during the winter I will focus more on the running part and I wont have too much time for the bike.

My plan is 10 weeks with 2 session per week. Afterwards I still have 24 weeks to my first HIM and I will follow the Base+Build+Specialty HIM plan (with the complete 3-4x/week).

My question is: Is there a plan where I can extract my 2 sessions per week?

I have a question in a similar vein. Doing a heavier run focus over next few months, but want to maintain some bike sessions. I was thinking of just doing SS Base Low Volume I+II, but stretching the 3 sessions / week to be over 10 days instead (so like one bike session every 3rd day or so). But maybe there's a better approach?
Quote Reply

Prev Next