Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
Hi Bryce, I’m hoping you can clarify the calendar function and intent. I don’t understand the tri aspect of this calendar. What’s the point of listing swim or run workouts with approximate tss values if you don’t import the workouts? Also what good is an approximate tss value if it’s not based on anything? Thanks.

Hey Andrew!

That's a very valid question. The reason we brought about the triathlon integration is, simply, becasue we had a lot of people asking for it. In it's current form, it is not as great as it could be, but for athletes who previously had to manage their non-cycling related workouts on Excel, this is a great improvement. It allows you to visually see your workouts in a logical Calendar view, and check them off when complete.

In the future, we intend to expand on this Base Calendar functionality by adding the ability to import non-cycling workouts, but that will coome a but further down the line.

As for the estimated TSS values, these are simply our best estimate of the TSS for that workout at the prescribed intensity. Our estimated TSS calculator is simply a function of duration and self-assessed (or prescribed) difficulty. While it is not perfectly accurate of course, it provides context for users who have no other way of measuring their TSS. For users that do have a more accurate method of measuring TSS, we allow for manual TSS entry as well.

I hope that helps explain some of the reasons we did what we did, and as we add more features, I believe you will be very impressed in the overall value added :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mr. Y] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Y wrote:
Hi Bryce, I am starting to plan next season and am thinking about the ITU Long Distance WC in Spain at the beginning of May. The distances are 4K/120K/30K so do you think I should base my training on an Ironman plan or a Half Ironman plan? And based on your answer, any advice on how to adjust that plan? Thanks!

Hey Mr. Y!

I'm going to check in with Coach Chad on what he would recommend and I'll get back to you :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:
Hi Bryce I was going to contact support but thought others would benefit. Regarding the new Calendar feature, when I opened it, it did not prompt me to add my current training plan. If I manually add it do I have to delete all the workouts Ive already done and move the dates for those remaining?

This was an issue upon the initial launch, but we came out with a hot fix to resolve this common problem.

You should now be able to open the Calendar in your browser and see a banner that allows you to add your Current Plan :)

Cheers!

Confirmed! I did this today, was a bit peeved my current plan disappeared. Took a bit to figure it out, but it works.

How did u do this? I just logged in and my plan has disappeared and I have nfi where I was up to. Not very happy!!!

Hey Dunno,

You should be able to open up the Calendar and add your current plan using the Banner at the top of the screen. Were you able to get things sorted out?

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Hey Bryce,

is there a way to remove the swim/run workouts from the calendar without going through and deleting them individually? before the calendar, it never bothered me as they never showed up. I find it a bit annoying now that when i look at the workout plan it seems littered with workouts/info i don't want to see. First world problems i know, but i am using TR strictly for the bike. I am sure there are lots of people who follow the triathlon plans fully, but id also guess there is a pretty large percentage that are using them for bike only!

thanks

Hey Leavitt!

There is unfortuantely not a way to delete all non-bike related activities at the same time. Thanks for bringing this to our attention though, we hadn't thought about that use case. I'll share this with the team for consideration.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man,

You guys are pretty quick with the replies! Great service!

Anyway, I did go through and manually delete them on the computer, only took a couple minutes, I generally only access TR on my phone, and that was a bit of a pain to do it on a device! Anyway, like I said, first world problems!

Thanks again!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
dunno wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:
Hi Bryce I was going to contact support but thought others would benefit. Regarding the new Calendar feature, when I opened it, it did not prompt me to add my current training plan. If I manually add it do I have to delete all the workouts Ive already done and move the dates for those remaining?

This was an issue upon the initial launch, but we came out with a hot fix to resolve this common problem.

You should now be able to open the Calendar in your browser and see a banner that allows you to add your Current Plan :)

Cheers!

Confirmed! I did this today, was a bit peeved my current plan disappeared. Took a bit to figure it out, but it works.

How did u do this? I just logged in and my plan has disappeared and I have nfi where I was up to. Not very happy!!!

Hey Dunno,

You should be able to open up the Calendar and add your current plan using the Banner at the top of the screen. Were you able to get things sorted out?

Cheers,

Hi Bryce, first of all apologies for my snarky comment-being able to post 24/7 can occasionally catch one off guard tired and grumpy. No I wasn’t able to load my current plan so I just restarted the build phase-no big drama really.

The new format is awesome-it’s great to be able to easily move around days and sessions, fantastic work!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mr. Y] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Y wrote:
Hi Bryce, I am starting to plan next season and am thinking about the ITU Long Distance WC in Spain at the beginning of May. The distances are 4K/120K/30K so do you think I should base my training on an Ironman plan or a Half Ironman plan? And based on your answer, any advice on how to adjust that plan? Thanks!

Hey Again!

I ran this past chad and this is what he had to say:

"The demands, and hence the pacing, seem more in line with a full, especially the swim. I’d recommend training for a full. If I tweaked anything, it might be specialty workouts just to get a handle on goal pacing. But the demands of a half are very close to those of a full, and this format makes them closer still, so train for a full."

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to hear that you like it now that you've gotten the chance to play around with it! We definitely messed up on the release and made things overly complicated, but after the transition pains, we think everyone will really like the new format.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a longtime TR user. My wife uses it too, and I'm her defacto coach.

I've been off TR for a few weeks (since my season ended and I've been riding outside a bit more) and just came across the new calendar/training plan functions.

HOLY CRAP you guys have just made my life so much easier. We've used the plans for years, for all distances of races. I've been in spreadsheet hell. Based on my 5 minutes with it so far, I LOVE IT!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
I'm a longtime TR user. My wife uses it too, and I'm her defacto coach.

I've been off TR for a few weeks (since my season ended and I've been riding outside a bit more) and just came across the new calendar/training plan functions.

HOLY CRAP you guys have just made my life so much easier. We've used the plans for years, for all distances of races. I've been in spreadsheet hell. Based on my 5 minutes with it so far, I LOVE IT!

It's time to kiss those spreadsheets goodbye!

I'm so happy to hear you're liking the new Calendar. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Bryce - any chance you guys are going to add a 'calendar date calculator', not ON the calendar, but maybe somewhere in the plan description links?

For example, you enter your target race date. It then spits out the start & end date of the plan, or possibly multiple plans/dates (say if you want to do SS Base 1 + SS Base 2 + Build + Race, you get 4 start/end dates for each block.)

I've been using date calculators online to otherwise figure it out, and it's clunky, and I don't like having TR autopopulate my entire calendar with a plan if the starting date is wrong so I have to tell it to redo the whole thing.

Seems like an easy (but useful) function to add in to the plan description.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 3, 18 20:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

I'm so happy to hear you're liking the new Calendar. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Hey Bryce,
First, I LOVE TrainerRoad. I got a CycleOps Hammer last Christmas along with a TR subscription after 3 years and 12 IM's under my belt. My FTP is up 30% after just 10 months! Two thumbs up from me.

I also use the swim and run workouts so I appreciate that those can be rearranged to my training days.

But... now when I click on the swim workout to see what the sets are, it takes me to the website. Could that be displayed in the app, as it was before? I usually just check the workout when I get to the pool. Going online and logging in is a hassle just to see what the main sets are that day.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Oct 4, 18 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce this may be stupid but can you sync your TR calendar with outlook or google calendar entries?

How could I do this without creating a calendar in TR then having to re-enter each in Outlook?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on the list of features they are working on: https://forum.trainerroad.com/...pcoming-features/658
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks- good stuff, the calendar function is awesome, glad to see it will keep getting better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the companion app still exist for PC?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
@Bryce - any chance you guys are going to add a 'calendar date calculator', not ON the calendar, but maybe somewhere in the plan description links?

For example, you enter your target race date. It then spits out the start & end date of the plan, or possibly multiple plans/dates (say if you want to do SS Base 1 + SS Base 2 + Build + Race, you get 4 start/end dates for each block.)

I've been using date calculators online to otherwise figure it out, and it's clunky, and I don't like having TR autopopulate my entire calendar with a plan if the starting date is wrong so I have to tell it to redo the whole thing.

Seems like an easy (but useful) function to add in to the plan description.

We do have some ideas in the works that will make it easier to backfill your plan according to your Target Events. We have some projects to work on between now and then (specifically in-app Calendar Functionality), but it is definitely on our Development Roadmap.

One thing that could help in the interrim is our Push/Pull function. If you add your entire plan and it is a few weeks off, you can use the push/pull functions to shift your entire training schedule forward or backwards. You can learn more about manipulating your plan by reading this article in our Help Center:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016185931-Editing-Your-Calendar

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Hey Bryce,
First, I LOVE TrainerRoad. I got a CycleOps Hammer last Christmas along with a TR subscription after 3 years and 12 IM's under my belt. My FTP is up 30% after just 10 months! Two thumbs up from me.

I also use the swim and run workouts so I appreciate that those can be rearranged to my training days.

But... now when I click on the swim workout to see what the sets are, it takes me to the website. Could that be displayed in the app, as it was before? I usually just check the workout when I get to the pool. Going online and logging in is a hassle just to see what the main sets are that day.

This is something that we are looking to add in the near future. The app is currently pretty bare-bones, but we really wanted to get the Calendar out and into your hands for your 2019 season planning. We will be continually working to add functionality to the app in order to improve the convenience and optimize the flow between app and web.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Thanks for your continued support and availability.

I am looking for a recommendation on how best to proceed plan-wise on TR during the next 11-12 months as I prepare for a fall 2019 Ironman ("A" race)

Background: I have been focusing on racing half (70.3) distance races during the past three seasons and have used TR extensively during the past year. I have completed the traditional base phase, half distance triathlon base, half distance triathlon build and sustained power build phase (July/August 2018). I raced in September 2018 and the bike is and has been my strongest discipline. I intend to continue to swim moderately and run (BarryP) throughout the winter months. In respect to training plans, how would you suggest I proceed. Thanks for your consideration.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [dmacst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmacst wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Thanks for your continued support and availability.

I am looking for a recommendation on how best to proceed plan-wise on TR during the next 11-12 months as I prepare for a fall 2019 Ironman ("A" race)

Background: I have been focusing on racing half (70.3) distance races during the past three seasons and have used TR extensively during the past year. I have completed the traditional base phase, half distance triathlon base, half distance triathlon build and sustained power build phase (July/August 2018). I raced in September 2018 and the bike is and has been my strongest discipline. I intend to continue to swim moderately and run (BarryP) throughout the winter months. In respect to training plans, how would you suggest I proceed. Thanks for your consideration.

Hey there!

For Triathletes who have a little extra time to devote to their season than the standard Base/Build/Specialty Plan, substantial gains can be made through the addition of a Traditional Base Plan prior to starting your plan progression. This helps to bulk up your aerobic engine, which will help tremendously over the course of a IM bike leg.

Your season would then look something like this:

Traditional Base (12 Weeks)
Full Distance Base (8 Weeks)
Full Distance Build (8 Weeks)
Full Distance Specialty (8 Weeks)

Now, this is only about 9 months, leaving you with an extra 8 ish weeks to play with. For these weeks, the recommended plan is less conctete. Since 11 months is a long time to train, we recommend mixing it up a little bit and maybe trying a training plan that interests you, that you may not do otherwise. Maybe you're interested in General Build, or Sweet Spot Base, or some other plan that doesn't slot perfectly into your triathlon training progression. This is the perfect time to try something new and help prevent burnout through repetition.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Using the calendar to plan to my A race in Jan (70.3 event)

Just finished sweet spot base 2 now, half-distance build starting on Monday. On Friday I leave for 2 weeks holiday where I will only be able to run.

This all means that I need to cut 3 weeks out of a training plan to line up with my race on 26 Jan 2019. Currently I planned on removing last 3 weeks of half distance specialty plan and ending with the last taper week. Which 3 weeks of the specialty plan would you recommend leaving out? First 3? Last 3? Middle 3?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Using the calendar to plan to my A race in Jan (70.3 event)

Just finished sweet spot base 2 now, half-distance build starting on Monday. On Friday I leave for 2 weeks holiday where I will only be able to run.

This all means that I need to cut 3 weeks out of a training plan to line up with my race on 26 Jan 2019. Currently I planned on removing last 3 weeks of half distance specialty plan and ending with the last taper week. Which 3 weeks of the specialty plan would you recommend leaving out? First 3? Last 3? Middle 3?

Thanks

Hey there!

When "leaving off weeks", you don't ever want to skip ahead in your plan. What that means is that you should do as much of the Specialty Plan as you can, and then cut off the last weeks before jumping to your Taper.

Good luck with your upcoming race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be training for a marathon taking place in March or April. During this time what plan would you suggest I incorporate in to keep my cycling and swimming sharp? In the past I’ve used Full Distance Mid Volume for tri training. After my marathon I’ll be training for IM Wisconsin in Sept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New TR User here. I'm running into a few problems. Maybe someone more experienced has some input for me here.

After Garmin sync TR is not pulling any older (pre-TR) files from garmin at all is that normal?

I just did the ramp test, which resulted in a new ftp which i chose to accept. In the software the new ftp is displayed, on the website however it still shows the ftp placeholder i entered when signing up. Isnt that supposed to sync from my pc to the tr website?

After the ramp test TR created a duplicate of the ride on garmin connect, which is annoying because I also use my FR935 to record my rides can I somehow prevent TR from creating duplicates in GC?
Last edited by: surrey85: Oct 15, 18 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce
I'm currently working through Sweet Spot base II (low volume) with a finish date of 11/25. I then start a 24 week build up (8 wks each half distance base/build/specialty, all mid-volume) starting 12/16, and leading up to my A race 70.3 on 6/1/19. I have two questions; 1) what would you suggest for the 25 day gap between Sweet Spot II and the beginning of my base phase in December?, and 2) I have an 11 day window from 12/22 - 1/02 to do a DIY training camp from home. I was thinking maybe to ramp up the base program to high volume for those 11 days, but would like to hear your recommendation for this as well.

Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next