Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce,
Thanks. I send you a PM with the ticket information.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [KamilN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KamilN wrote:

Yes, I have 40 weeks to my final HIM but first one is in 30 weeks. When I start 24 week plan from today first speciality phase will end on 19th May and first HIM will be at 6th week of second bulid phase. Is that the best solution? I'm now returning after longer brake and wanted to dedicate next 6 weeks to use to renew excercise habit.

To best answer that, I would need to see A B and C designations for each race. An 'A' race is your most important race. You can have a max of two (mayyybe three in some cases). B races are mid importance and C races are training races.

In general, the progression I've outlined will result in the highest fitness going into your final race, however, if that comes at the expense of another A race, it may not be the best approach for your season.

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Bryce Lewis TR: Dec 3, 18 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
dunno wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Im not understanding the workouts in my calendar. For example this Saturday it has scheduled a long base run of 1:40 and also a base run of 1:05. Do this is two runs in the one day-is one supposed to be in the morning and the other in the afternoon?

Go ahead and DM me your username so that I can look into this for you. It's tough to say without knowing what week you're on, what plan you're on, and how your plan is configured in your Calendar.

Cheers!

Thanks DM sent
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Hi Bryce,
I have a question regarding the sweet spot base plan. Heading into week 3 tomorrow and "noticing" that there are no VO2max workouts in the first 6 week block. Having done a bit of vo2max work already this off season, should i worry loosing some of that top power during this block? And is there any hard in substituting one of the sweet spot workouts with a more reguler vo2max workout?

Hey Lassekk,

There are times and places for different types of stress. SSB I is designed to ramp you up gently and start to build you a really solid base. You may lose VO2 max in the short term, however, its not time to race yet ;) The plans are periodized in such a way that will optimize your performance in the latter parts of the plans where it matters the most.

If you wish, you could switch in VO2 max in place of Sweet Spot, but we recommend adhering to the plan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
KamilN wrote:

Yes, I have 40 weeks to my final HIM but first one is in 30 weeks. When I start 24 week plan from today first speciality phase will end on 19th May and first HIM will be at 6th week of second bulid phase. Is that the best solution? I'm now returning after longer brake and wanted to dedicate next 6 weeks to use to renew excercise habit.

To best answer that, I would need to see A B and C designations for each race. An 'A' race is your most important race. You can have a max of two (mayyybe three in some cases). B races are mid importance and C races are training races.

In general, the progression I've outlined will result in the highest fitness going into your final race, however, if that comes at the expense of another A race, it may not be the best approach for your season.

My A races are HIMs, others are treated like training.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [KamilN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KamilN wrote:

My A races are HIMs, others are treated like training.

Ah, in that case, your progression should work well :) Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Best,
Bryce

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, After a six month break from structured training i'm back on it! Loving the new calendar and I've populated base, build and speciality phases. These finish 6 weeks before my A race next year.

What I've currently done in the calendar is delete the final 2 weeks of the speciality phase and then start the speciality phase over again so that it leads me right up to my A race.

My question is with these 6 extra weeks to fill is repeating the speciality phase the best way to go or should i do something similar and include 6 extra weeks of build earlier into my calendar?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Wozalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wozalot wrote:
Hi Bryce, After a six month break from structured training i'm back on it! Loving the new calendar and I've populated base, build and speciality phases. These finish 6 weeks before my A race next year.

What I've currently done in the calendar is delete the final 2 weeks of the speciality phase and then start the speciality phase over again so that it leads me right up to my A race.

My question is with these 6 extra weeks to fill is repeating the speciality phase the best way to go or should i do something similar and include 6 extra weeks of build earlier into my calendar?

Firstly, welcome back to TrainerRoad!

Repeating Specialty in that fashion is a great option, just be sure to do Weeks 7 and 8 leading into your event to get a proper taper :)

Cheers,
Bryce

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce – I’m mid way through low volume full distance triathlon base (finishing Jan 13th). I’m doing my second full distance race in mid July, and was planning on starting the build and then speciality phase of the low volume full distance plans to coincide with the timing of that race for peak fitness. But I realise that if I do that, I only need to start the build plan April 1. I appreciate every athlete is different and has different strengths/weaknesses, but what would broadly recommend is the best plan for that Jan-March window? Should I repeat the base phase? Do sweetspot? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [rcsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcsa wrote:
Hi Bryce – I’m mid way through low volume full distance triathlon base (finishing Jan 13th). I’m doing my second full distance race in mid July, and was planning on starting the build and then speciality phase of the low volume full distance plans to coincide with the timing of that race for peak fitness. But I realise that if I do that, I only need to start the build plan April 1. I appreciate every athlete is different and has different strengths/weaknesses, but what would broadly recommend is the best plan for that Jan-March window? Should I repeat the base phase? Do sweetspot? Thanks!

Based on my calculations, you have about 15 weeks left from today until you need to start the Build Phase. This is how I would recommend spending that time:

January 17
Full Distance Base (Week 9)
SSB II (Weeks 1-6)
Full Distance Base (Weeks 5-12)
April 1

This will allow you to integrate Sweet Spot in naturally :) For your runs and swims during the Sweet Spot Phase, I recommend referring to the Full Distance Plan recommendations.

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce...without searching the whole thread. Why do I have to power off my iPhone 6 everytime I try to sync my 3 sensors and ride on TR? dont have to it w/the ipad.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I love your platform and used Trainerroad last season to really improve my fitness.

I've got a question for planning for the next season. I've signed up for Pisgah Stage Race in April. I just finished Half Iron Base, should I move into a Power Build and then a Off Road Marathon Specialty?

After this, I plan on racing two half irons, one in August and another in October. The August race is a B race, and the October is an A race. Would I move back into the Half Iron BBS after the stage race?

Thanks
Glen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently switched over to TR from Zwift and I enjoy the focused workouts more than I did the "social" aspect. I actually feel like what I am doing is going to make me a better cyclist in the summer.

Anyways.... I loaded the mid-volume Olympic triathlon into my calendar and have started completing the workouts and am I the only person that cannot hang with the workouts at 100%? Seems like 85% is more appropriate for me right now? Is this common? Should I just increase the % as I feel with the goal being to get to 100%?

I am using a CycleOps Magnus. I didn't ride much at all in 2018 but I did run a lot. I have been a triathlete for 24 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [gpotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much time do you spend riding off road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce!

I just signed up to TrainerRoad and loving it so far.

I signed up for my first 70.3 at Ironman Canada on July 28th. I plan on doing the Base-Build-Specialty Half Ironman plans which would have me start on Feb 11th 2019.

My question for you is, how should I best spend my time before this? I was planning on doing Traditional Base HV starting on Dec 31st and doing week 3 twice since I'll be traveling from Thu-Sun during the first week 3.
I just found out that I'll have to travel for work from Jan 26th to Feb 9th. I'll have access to a gym, but no trainer + power meter equipment.

Basically, what would be the best use of my time between Dec 31st - Jan 26th before a two week break of structured training before starting the Half Ironman plan?

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding off road for close to 11 years now. Not saying I'm the best in the dirt, but I enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to have two different profiles under my account? One for a road bike on one smart trainer and another for my TT bike on another position. The systems being different and different FTP based on position is what I'm trying to manage. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Is there a way to have two different profiles under my account? One for a road bike on one smart trainer and another for my TT bike on another position. The systems being different and different FTP based on position is what I'm trying to manage. Any ideas?
That would actually be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! That sounds good. Was just gonna say, if you don’t have time to ride the fat tires leading up to the stage race, definitely spend time in the gym / make time for strength, because you will needit. Also consider getting a bike fit for the MTB from someone who knows what he or she is doing.

Basically, Endurance MTB is demanding and not just on the legs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

I'm currently at the end of week 5 of the mid volume sweet spot 1 going into week 6 the recovery week. The thing is that due to work requirements and general life this week has essentially been a recovery week. I'm thinking if skipping week 6 and going straight into the sweet spot 2 plan with the new ftp test on Tuesday.

Good idea or should I just stick with the plan for week 6 of sweet spot 1?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trukweaz wrote:
Bryce...without searching the whole thread. Why do I have to power off my iPhone 6 everytime I try to sync my 3 sensors and ride on TR? dont have to it w/the ipad.

Hey Trukweaz,

That is a technical issue that would be best directed to our Support Team at support@trainerrroad.com. This is not a known issue that I am aware of, but Support will be able to look into your files to see what is causing that strange behavior.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gpotter wrote:
Hey guys, I love your platform and used Trainerroad last season to really improve my fitness.

I've got a question for planning for the next season. I've signed up for Pisgah Stage Race in April. I just finished Half Iron Base, should I move into a Power Build and then a Off Road Marathon Specialty?

After this, I plan on racing two half irons, one in August and another in October. The August race is a B race, and the October is an A race. Would I move back into the Half Iron BBS after the stage race?

Thanks
Glen

With 16 weeks until the stage race, that gives you the perfect amount of time to complete a Build and Specialty Phase.

General Build (8 Weeks)
Olympic or Marathon Specialty (8 Weeks)

From the look of it, the stages should be around the 30ish mile distance, which would sort of place you on the fence between Olympic and Marathon Specialty. If you are planning to ride a very sustained race, without surging or dealing with attacks, then I would recommend the General Build/ Marathon Specialty combo. If you expect the racing to have a lot of surges and dealing with attacks, then General Build/ Olympic Specialty would be a better option.

After the stage race, you will have another 25-27 weeks until your A race HIM. I would recommend starting with Base again since you'll have enough time.

HIM Base (8 Weeks)
HIM Build (8 Weeks)
HIM Specialty (8 Weeks)

Depending on when your race is in October, you will need to add a few extra weeks to that plan. Traditional Base is a good way add weeks in transition between training cycles.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have anny more questions!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:
I recently switched over to TR from Zwift and I enjoy the focused workouts more than I did the "social" aspect. I actually feel like what I am doing is going to make me a better cyclist in the summer.

Anyways.... I loaded the mid-volume Olympic triathlon into my calendar and have started completing the workouts and am I the only person that cannot hang with the workouts at 100%? Seems like 85% is more appropriate for me right now? Is this common? Should I just increase the % as I feel with the goal being to get to 100%?

I am using a CycleOps Magnus. I didn't ride much at all in 2018 but I did run a lot. I have been a triathlete for 24 years.

Hey Carboner!

Did you complete an FTP test before you jumped into your training? Typically, if you are unable to complete your workouts at 100%, it means your FTP is set too high and it needs to be lowered. If you haven't already, I would recommend completing a Ramp Test to get an accurate idea of what your FTP should be.

Let me know if an FTP test sorts out your issues!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Zerwizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zerwizzle wrote:
Hey Bryce!

I just signed up to TrainerRoad and loving it so far.

I signed up for my first 70.3 at Ironman Canada on July 28th. I plan on doing the Base-Build-Specialty Half Ironman plans which would have me start on Feb 11th 2019.

My question for you is, how should I best spend my time before this? I was planning on doing Traditional Base HV starting on Dec 31st and doing week 3 twice since I'll be traveling from Thu-Sun during the first week 3.
I just found out that I'll have to travel for work from Jan 26th to Feb 9th. I'll have access to a gym, but no trainer + power meter equipment.

Basically, what would be the best use of my time between Dec 31st - Jan 26th before a two week break of structured training before starting the Half Ironman plan?

Thanks!!

For Ironman athletes with extra time, we recommend the Traditional Base Plan :) It sems like your instincts are spot on!

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

There is unfortunately not a way to have two separate FTP profiles on the same account :( We have chosen not to integrate this feature becasue it would make it very easy for multiple users to use the same account, which is not behavior that we are trying to encourage.

That being said, if you determine the offset between your TT and Road bike, you can make your TT workouts easier by turning down the intesity to the appropriate percentage. Then, after the workout, you can manually change that specific ride's FTP in the "Edit Ride" window so that your IF and TSS are correct.

You can also change the FTP manually every time you change bikes, but these changes will record on your TSS chart which can be bothersome.

Sorry I don't have a better solution for you at this time :(

Quote Reply

Prev Next