Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Hey Bryce,

I'm currently at the end of week 5 of the mid volume sweet spot 1 going into week 6 the recovery week. The thing is that due to work requirements and general life this week has essentially been a recovery week. I'm thinking if skipping week 6 and going straight into the sweet spot 2 plan with the new ftp test on Tuesday.

Good idea or should I just stick with the plan for week 6 of sweet spot 1?

Hey Logella!

That sort of depends on what this week was like.

If it truly was a recovery week where you missed quite a few rides and you're feeling extremely rested, then skipping Week 6 could be a good idea.

If your work and life stress was pretty intense this week, they you may not have been really recovering. You may have simply traded training stress for another kind of stress. If this is the case, you will benefit from taking Week 6 to properly recover and prepare yourself for the next phase of your training.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if there is anything I can clear up for you!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for the reply. I did in fact do the ramp test for an estimated FTP value.

The workouts still feel extremely difficult at 100%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up skipping week 6 and starting the mid volume sweet spot 2 plan this morning with the ramp test. I had a pretty good increase (10.8%) but that's likely reflective of my first FTP test coming after about 2 years off the bike and running ultras. I've still got a ways to go though to get back to the neighborhood of my FTP from several years ago. But, I've got until late May to be ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm just starting the Mid-volume Half-Distance Triathlon Base plan. Current timing lines up perfectly for a 70.3 on June 2nd, completing base, build, specialty. I am doing a second 70.3 roughly 2 months later, August 11th. What should I be doing in those 2 months? Repeat specialty? Or should I be changing some timing before my first 70.3?

Thanks!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I did in fact do the ramp test for an estimated FTP value.

The workouts still feel extremely difficult at 100%.

Hmm, that is a bit peculiar. For people that are exceptionally good at intense efforts, it is possible to "overtest" using the Ramp Test. Since your FTP from the Ramp Test has proven not to be a good estimate of your sustainable FTP, I would recommend retesting with either the 8 or 20 Minute FTP test. These tend to be harder to "overtest" and may result in an FTP value that more clcosely matches your abilities.

Let me know how it goes!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up skipping week 6 and starting the mid volume sweet spot 2 plan this morning with the ramp test. I had a pretty good increase (10.8%) but that's likely reflective of my first FTP test coming after about 2 years off the bike and running ultras. I've still got a ways to go though to get back to the neighborhood of my FTP from several years ago. But, I've got until late May to be ready.

You got this! Best of luck :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstewarttri wrote:
Hi,

I'm just starting the Mid-volume Half-Distance Triathlon Base plan. Current timing lines up perfectly for a 70.3 on June 2nd, completing base, build, specialty. I am doing a second 70.3 roughly 2 months later, August 11th. What should I be doing in those 2 months? Repeat specialty? Or should I be changing some timing before my first 70.3?

Thanks!

With 8 weeks between events, repeating Specialty is a great option :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, thanks again for all your advice on this forum and for the great software and integration. TR has revolutionised by riding over this last 18 months.
Question for you: I am in season planning mode now. Almost 11 months out from my main A race for the season which will be my first IM. Goals are not overly lofty but aiming for a bike split of 5 or so hours (PB in a 70.3 is 2:22). I will obviously have some B and C races between now and then, but I really want to give this IM my best shot.
Given the time to the race, what would you recommend from a plan point of view between now and starting the build and specialty portions of the mid volume full distance plan? My thoughts were to do the mid volume base (12 weeks), build (8 weeks), base (12 weeks) and then into the build and specialty phases leading into the event. Base fitness for the bike is very reasonable at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Hi Bryce, thanks again for all your advice on this forum and for the great software and integration. TR has revolutionised by riding over this last 18 months.
Question for you: I am in season planning mode now. Almost 11 months out from my main A race for the season which will be my first IM. Goals are not overly lofty but aiming for a bike split of 5 or so hours (PB in a 70.3 is 2:22). I will obviously have some B and C races between now and then, but I really want to give this IM my best shot.
Given the time to the race, what would you recommend from a plan point of view between now and starting the build and specialty portions of the mid volume full distance plan? My thoughts were to do the mid volume base (12 weeks), build (8 weeks), base (12 weeks) and then into the build and specialty phases leading into the event. Base fitness for the bike is very reasonable at the moment.

Hey pbnz!

First of all, props for planning ahead ;) You have plenty of time to prepare.

Your suggestion is a great option, and would serve you very well, however, in order to get a bit more variety I would recommend a slightly different variation. I would recommend:

Traditional or Sweet Spot Base (with the runs and swims from Full Distance Base) (12 Weeks)
Sustained Power Build (again, with the runs and swims from Full Distance Build) (8 Weeks)

Then jump inito the standard IM progression:
IM Base (12 Weeks)
IM Build (8 Weeks)
IM Specailty (8 Weeks)

If my calculations are correct, this should deliver you right on the doorstep of your A race for the year :)

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy,

The eve of a new year has me refining my plans for 2019. I’m committed to making the transition from seven years of long course to the Olympic distance. The calendar gives me approximately 30 weeks to a series of A race options, with my state 40k TT championships at 17 weeks.

I’ve penciled the following plans into the calendar, in an attempt to use the 40k TT to build bike fitness and ride that peak through the triathlon season.

Sweet Spot Base (6)
Sustained Power Build (8)
40K TT Special (8)
Olympic Special (8)

Thoughts on that progression? I’d appreciate any feedback you can share.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Howdy,

The eve of a new year has me refining my plans for 2019. I’m committed to making the transition from seven years of long course to the Olympic distance. The calendar gives me approximately 30 weeks to a series of A race options, with my state 40k TT championships at 17 weeks.

I’ve penciled the following plans into the calendar, in an attempt to use the 40k TT to build bike fitness and ride that peak through the triathlon season.

Sweet Spot Base (6)
Sustained Power Build (8)
40K TT Special (8)
Olympic Special (8)

Thoughts on that progression? I’d appreciate any feedback you can share.

Scott

Hey Scott!

Firstly, I would recommend doing the full 12 Week Base Progression. Base is a crucial part of everyone's training, and it will play a huge role in your success in both TT and Triathlon, even if it means cutting out some of the Specialty work.

Secondly, I have a few clarifying questions.
1. Is the TT or the Triathlon more important? Are they both A races?
2. Will you be doing running and swimming along with the SSB, Sustained Power Build, and 40K TT plan, or will you be focusing soley on your cycling?

If you can answer these questions I can advise you with a bit more certainty :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much will the ramp test differ from a normal ftp ? When i do a normal ftp test (outdoors) i always do a 1 minute 150% to get the muscles used. will adding 150% to the ramp test negatively influence the test result?.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
How much will the ramp test differ from a normal ftp ? When i do a normal ftp test (outdoors) i always do a 1 minute 150% to get the muscles used. will adding 150% to the ramp test negatively influence the test result?.

I dunno, Bryce or TR official guys will prob chime in on how accurate their test is.

I just know that the ramp test was pretty much spot on for my training zones (based on HR correlate) and an Oly race where I rode it based on effort not power and hit pretty much 90% of my ramp test FTP.

I do think it's good that it's a less crushingly difficult test. I've done it 3 times now, and the last time I did it, I added on a 60 min regular TR workout to get the TSS to what would be equal to a 90 min session and it felt fine.

I suspect a 1 min @ 150% won't make any difference to your FTP. In either case, it's worth noting that your FTP (whatever means you use to calculate it) is a moving target and you'll at best get a snapshot of it, and you can always adjust it up or down if you feel the workouts are too hard/easy. I find that with the TR Oly plan (base/build), the bike workouts feel only moderately hard if you don't work the swim/run, but the build can be really hard at times if you're putting in legit run/swim volume and intensity. As a result, I actually welcome a slightly lower FTP than my theoretical max, as I can tolerate more swings in training performance without failing workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:

Are you just referring to an "opener" in your warm up just to prime your Central Nervous System? If so if you give yourself a couple of minutes rest before you start the test you should be fine. The test is not all that depleting, the last 90seconds is really where it hits you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Triathlon is more important. The 40k TT is early in the season (4/28), which I consider good motivation to work the bike all winter and enter the summer multi-sport season with a strong bike fitness. I’d classify the TT as a B race, with a sequence of races from 7/20 to 8/10 that could serve as A races.

2. Will you be doing running and swimming along with the SSB, Sustained Power Build, and 40K TT plan, or will you be focusing soley on your cycling?

I will swim, bike and run throughout the entire progression, although with a bike centric focus. My history in the water allows me to get by on 2-3 sessions a week, and a running injury limits my running to 3 steady state sessions a week. The bike is my place to be creative and produce TSS.

With some modifications (dropping the easy sessions), the mid volume Sweet Spot Base, mid volume Sustained Power Build, high volume 40k Special and high volume Olympic Special provide my target TSS on 4 rides a week.

But, I’m making all that up and value your input. Seven years with Trainer Road (user: GreatScott) have taught me a lot, and having access to folks like you really adds value to the platform. Thanks for engaging with me here!

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jan 2, 19 16:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the middle of a Sustained Power Build, Mid Volume.
Tuesday ,Wednesday Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. There is going to be a couple of Saturdays I know I will be unable to do any kind of training.
What would your recommended schedule be for those weeks? Neither of the weeks will fall on the taper week or the ramp test week.

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow this thread is really informative. I just bought a KICKR and started Trainer Road a few days ago after trying out Zwift and a few others. I’ve been really happy with TR. I’m trying to learn how to build a calendar.... looking forward to my first full distance IM after several half distances. My A race is IM AZ in November, with St. George 70.3 as a B race along the way in early May. I started with the ramp test ... 53 years old FTP 190.

So far, I worked backwards from IM AZ with a 2 week taper and went mid volume specialty/ build base for the full distance, which took me back to just after the St. George race. I figured I’d modify for some recovery time right then, and then I went backwards with the low volume specialty/build/base.... which took me back to two weeks ago... so I just started in the base phase two weeks in. Did I do it right? I really like the plan as I have always been more of a “just get the miles in” guy and was looking to maybe hire a coach to start more interval training and be more effective with my time... I’m planning to use the trainer during the week and get on the road to mimic the longer weekend ride. I’d appreciate any advice very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

Just a little poke as we wind down the work week. Thoughts on my response to your questions (above)?

Cheers,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:

Triathlon is more important. The 40k TT is early in the season (4/28), which I consider good motivation to work the bike all winter and enter the summer multi-sport season with a strong bike fitness. I’d classify the TT as a B race, with a sequence of races from 7/20 to 8/10 that could serve as A races.

I will swim, bike and run throughout the entire progression, although with a bike centric focus. My history in the water allows me to get by on 2-3 sessions a week, and a running injury limits my running to 3 steady state sessions a week. The bike is my place to be creative and produce TSS.

With some modifications (dropping the easy sessions), the mid volume Sweet Spot Base, mid volume Sustained Power Build, high volume 40k Special and high volume Olympic Special provide my target TSS on 4 rides a week.

But, I’m making all that up and value your input. Seven years with Trainer Road (user: GreatScott) have taught me a lot, and having access to folks like you really adds value to the platform. Thanks for engaging with me here!

Scott

Sorry for my delay in response Scott, I took a much needed mini mountain bike vacation this week.

Since the Triathlon Event is the most important, I would personally do the full Olympic Training Progression leading up to your event in order to maximize your specificity for your A race. Since the TT is a B race, you will not neccessarily "peak" for it since your focus is on the triathlon. Based on the 30 weeks you have to work with, my recommended progression would be:

Sweet Spot Base (Week 1-9 & 12)
Olympic Base (6 Weeks)
Olympic Build (6 Weeks)
Olympic Specialty (8 Weeks)

This will land your TT somewhere towards the beginning of Build, which is not ideal for the TT, however, this progression will make you faster on the day that matters the most, and that's what it's all about.

This progression is also preferred because it takes into account your entire TSS picture. Training for three sports at the same time, even if cycling is your priority, will take an additional toll that the cycling-only plans don't account for. The Tri plans keep this in mind, which will help you to manage your stress and stay at a productive level of TSS week to week.

Regarding Point #2, that sounds great :) Be sure to do a bit of running and swimming during Sweet Spot, but listen to your body to make sure you aren't overdoing it since SSB does not account for your other two disciplines.

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:

Hey Rbe!

When developing the Ramp Test, it was our goal to make it as consistent with the traditional testing methods as possible. We ran 5000 beta testers through the protocol and asked them to compare their results to their typical testing format. This helped us to fine tune the formula and optimize it for the greatest number of users. Of course, any time you change the testing method there will be some whose results vary significantly, however these are outliers and the majority of users should be within a reasonable margin of error.

As for your 150% effort to get your legs woken up, that is totally fine as long as you do the same warmup every time you test. With FTP testing, consistency is key, so you want to keep as many variables the same as possible so that your results will be comparable.

I hope this helps, happy testing!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:
I am in the middle of a Sustained Power Build, Mid Volume.
Tuesday ,Wednesday Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. There is going to be a couple of Saturdays I know I will be unable to do any kind of training.
What would your recommended schedule be for those weeks? Neither of the weeks will fall on the taper week or the ramp test week.

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike!

In those cases, you could just move the Saturday Ride to Friday and make your easy day Thursday.

Basically, shift your workouts as follows:

Tuesday -> No Change
Wednesday-> Thursday
Thursday-> Wednesday
Saturday-> Friday
Sunday -> No Change

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubravsky wrote:
Wow this thread is really informative. I just bought a KICKR and started Trainer Road a few days ago after trying out Zwift and a few others. I’ve been really happy with TR. I’m trying to learn how to build a calendar.... looking forward to my first full distance IM after several half distances. My A race is IM AZ in November, with St. George 70.3 as a B race along the way in early May. I started with the ramp test ... 53 years old FTP 190.

So far, I worked backwards from IM AZ with a 2 week taper and went mid volume specialty/ build base for the full distance, which took me back to just after the St. George race. I figured I’d modify for some recovery time right then, and then I went backwards with the low volume specialty/build/base.... which took me back to two weeks ago... so I just started in the base phase two weeks in. Did I do it right? I really like the plan as I have always been more of a “just get the miles in” guy and was looking to maybe hire a coach to start more interval training and be more effective with my time... I’m planning to use the trainer during the week and get on the road to mimic the longer weekend ride. I’d appreciate any advice very much!

Sounds like you did a great job! Typically, when you are going to cut weeks from the plan, it is better to cut weeks out of Specialty rather than Base, however, since it is only two weeks, it won't make much of a difference.

As for riding outside on weekends, that is a great option and will allow you to maintain motivation and get some practice with TT bike handling as well.

Best of luck with your upcoming season!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce

Thank u for the answer.
I am a newbie on trainerroad but is there a place where i can find the fatigue / trainings form like the one on traingpeaks or strava ?

btw its a great program. Great training plans and a lot cheaper then the coach i had some years ago :-)

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce! Glad you got some time away, and appreciate your thoughts.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Hi Bryce

Thank u for the answer.
I am a newbie on trainerroad but is there a place where i can find the fatigue / trainings form like the one on traingpeaks or strava ?

btw its a great program. Great training plans and a lot cheaper then the coach i had some years ago :-)

Hey Rbe!

We do not have any fatigue/form charts within TrainerRoad becasue we found them to be a bit too confusing and at times misleading. Instead, we have carefully designed each of our Training Plans to account for the bigger picture, so that you don't have to have a sports physiology degree to figure out what you need to do to get faster :)

Cheers and best of luck with your training!

Quote Reply

Prev Next