Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question on the new ramp test. I have done it for the first time. My last 20min FTP was 231w on aero from June. Trained July/August for IM70.3 Zell am See (which ironically saw the cycle cancelled) and rested my cycling legs during September with just a few running efforts. I am back into training. Tried the ramp test and got 224w. I know this is not much worse and I have not really trained in September but I am curious what others saw when moving from the 20mins test to the ramp test. Any relevant differences to note?

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:
I’ll be training for a marathon taking place in March or April. During this time what plan would you suggest I incorporate in to keep my cycling and swimming sharp? In the past I’ve used Full Distance Mid Volume for tri training. After my marathon I’ll be training for IM Wisconsin in Sept.

The Full Distance Low Volume Base Plan would likely be your best bet for keeping up with your other disciplines while training for your Marathon. By keeping the volume low, you can keep your focus on the running portion of your training while still maintaining your cycling and swimming fitness :)

This plan still may be a bit much depending on your running regimen, so don't be afraid to dial back by cutting out some rides/swims during the week. Since the Marathon is your priority at this time, don't let your cycling and swimming maintainance (secondary goal) interfere with your running training (primary goal).

Best of luck with your training, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [surrey85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surrey85 wrote:
New TR User here. I'm running into a few problems. Maybe someone more experienced has some input for me here.

After Garmin sync TR is not pulling any older (pre-TR) files from garmin at all is that normal?

I just did the ramp test, which resulted in a new ftp which i chose to accept. In the software the new ftp is displayed, on the website however it still shows the ftp placeholder i entered when signing up. Isnt that supposed to sync from my pc to the tr website?

After the ramp test TR created a duplicate of the ride on garmin connect, which is annoying because I also use my FR935 to record my rides can I somehow prevent TR from creating duplicates in GC?

Hey there!

I'm sorry about the initial confusion getting things up and running, let's see if I can clear some things up for you :)

With the Garmin Sync issue that you're referring to, are you looking in the app or on the website? The app only uploads a limited number of historical rides, however, you should be able to see all your rides when accessing TrainerRoad from your browser. The reason the app only uploads a limited number of historical rides is to allow for faster load times and better app response. If all of your historical rides are also missing from your Career when viewing from your web browser, then this is an issue that Support should be able to investigate and sort out for you. You can reach Support at support@trainerroad.com.

As for your FTP not syncing between app and Web, that is fairly unusual. The following procedure tends to sort out most sync related issues.
1. Log out of TR in the app and web
2. Log into the TR app
3. Ensure that your device with the TR app is connected to the internet
4. Log into your account at trainerroad.com from your browser.

This typically brings things back into sync. If the FTP update is still not syncing, then I would recommend reaching out to Support.

And lastly, lets talk about your duplicate rides in Garmin Connect. The way our RideSync works is that there is a two way communication with our supported third party apps. This means that outdoor rides from Garmin Connect will be imported to TrainerRoad, and indoor rides on TrainerRoad will be exported to Garmin Connect. Unfortunately, when you double-record a ride, it requires a somewhat complicated logic to filter out duplicates. We have this logic in TR, but Garmin Connect does not have this feature. Ultimately, your best option to eliminate duplicate rides is to use just one method of recording. Is there a reason that you are running your FR935 in parallel to the TrainerRoad app?

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce (and any others who can help)

I'm relatively new to triathlons (and cycling) having just completed my first season. My background is in distance running, and cycling is by far my weakest of the three sports. To give you a sense for my skill level, I'm about a 31 kph rider over a 70.3 distance. I can sustain approx 2.5W/KG. I've got a TR account and until now I've been selecting random sweetspot / anerobic / long rides based on the enormous sample to choose from.

My primary goal for the off season is to build power on the bike. Next season I'll be doing mostly 70.3s - possibly a full, but focus will be the half distance. Given my background with marathons, I didn't have much of a problem with the 90k bike distance, however my power is weak. As such, I'd like to take a more structured approach by utilizing some of the many TR plans available. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of plans and wanted to get your input on which I should follow based on my goals and the details above. Should I be focusing on the power builds or the triathlon builds?

Base Phase: Sweet Spot vs Half Distance Triathlon?
Build Phase: Sustained Power vs Half Distance Triathlon?
Specialty Phase: Half Distance Triathlon?

Appreciate the input!
Last edited by: blayze: Oct 16, 18 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmatos wrote:
Question on the new ramp test. I have done it for the first time. My last 20min FTP was 231w on aero from June. Trained July/August for IM70.3 Zell am See (which ironically saw the cycle cancelled) and rested my cycling legs during September with just a few running efforts. I am back into training. Tried the ramp test and got 224w. I know this is not much worse and I have not really trained in September but I am curious what others saw when moving from the 20mins test to the ramp test. Any relevant differences to note?[/quot

I would say that the FTP drop you experienced (only 3%) is around what I would expect after a month off of training. Those minor losses will be nullified pretty shortly after you resume your training. When we created the formula for the Ramp Test, we conducted a significant amount of research with the Beta Ramp Test to help guide and perfect the formula. Some riders find that the Ramp Test gives them a higher score, while others find that it gives them a lower score. 5000+ rides were conducted using the Beta Ramp Test, and we used those data points to decide on the current formula, which we feel is right in the middle of the bell curve.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from 288 with the old test to 281 with the new ramp test, which feels appropriate for the training and focus I have had.
With the way the ramp test works, feels like there would be an acceptable variation in FTPs between the two tests, just not sure if TR have published how close they match up in real life (although should be within a few percent or else they would have not have recommended this change over).

pmatos wrote:
Question on the new ramp test. I have done it for the first time. My last 20min FTP was 231w on aero from June. Trained July/August for IM70.3 Zell am See (which ironically saw the cycle cancelled) and rested my cycling legs during September with just a few running efforts. I am back into training. Tried the ramp test and got 224w. I know this is not much worse and I have not really trained in September but I am curious what others saw when moving from the 20mins test to the ramp test. Any relevant differences to note?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [blayze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blayze wrote:
Hi Bryce (and any others who can help)

I'm relatively new to triathlons (and cycling) having just completed my first season. My background is in distance running, and cycling is by far my weakest of the three sports. To give you a sense for my skill level, I'm about a 31 kph rider over a 70.3 distance. I can sustain approx 2.5W/KG. I've got a TR account and until now I've been selecting random sweetspot / anerobic / long rides based on the enormous sample to choose from.

My primary goal for the off season is to build power on the bike. Given my background, I don't have much issues with endurance however my power is weak. As such, I'd like to take a more structured approach by utilizing some of the many TR plans available. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of plans and wanted to get your input on which I should follow based on my goals and the details above. Should I be focusing on the power builds or the triathlon builds?

Base Phase: Sweet Spot vs Half Distance Triathlon?
Build Phase: Sustained Power vs Half Distance Triathlon?
Specialty Phase: Half Distance Triathlon?

Appreciate the input!

Hey there!

The training route that you choose will depend somewhat on your timeline for your 2019 season. Once you have a date picked out for your Half, you are going to want to backtrack on the Calendar to make sure that you can fit the Half Distance Triathlon Base/Build/Specialty leading up to your event. If you don't have an exact date yet, you may have a ballpark idea of when you want to complete your race and you can operate based on that. The reason that we recommend the Triathlon specific plans leading up to your event is because they are tailored specifically to the nature and demands of tri racing, and they also accommodate training stress from running and swimming too, allowing you to easily balance your three disciplines.

Once have the "meat" of your training planned out, you can see how much time you have between now and when you will start the triathlon training progression. If you have a significant amount of time before starting Half-Distance Base, then you could choose a cycling specific plan to help work on your weaknesses.

A good "cycling-only" plan for this time would be Sweet Spot Base. By focusing on your Base, you will build your aerobic engine and provide a strong cycling foundation upon which to build the rest of your training. If you have enough time, you could even go onto Sustained Power Build afterward. Overall, your training progression should look like this:

Sweet Spot Base
Sustained Power Build (if you have time)
Half Ironman Race

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

The training route that you choose will depend somewhat on your timeline for your 2019 season. Once you have a date picked out for your Half, you are going to want to backtrack on the Calendar to make sure that you can fit the Half Distance Triathlon Base/Build/Specialty leading up to your event. If you don't have an exact date yet, you may have a ballpark idea of when you want to complete your race and you can operate based on that. The reason that we recommend the Triathlon specific plans leading up to your event is because they are tailored specifically to the nature and demands of tri racing, and they also accommodate training stress from running and swimming too, allowing you to easily balance your three disciplines.

Once have the "meat" of your training planned out, you can see how much time you have between now and when you will start the triathlon training progression. If you have a significant amount of time before starting Half-Distance Base, then you could choose a cycling specific plan to help work on your weaknesses.

A good "cycling-only" plan for this time would be Sweet Spot Base. By focusing on your Base, you will build your aerobic engine and provide a strong cycling foundation upon which to build the rest of your training. If you have enough time, you could even go onto Sustained Power Build afterward. Overall, your training progression should look like this:

Sweet Spot Base
Half Ironman Race

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks for the quick response Bryce!

My next 70.3 isn't until late June 2019 - so lots of time to train and build the engine!

Based on that, I will proceed with your suggested plan as outlined below. Would you go far as to suggest I start with the "Traditional Base" or stick with Sweet Spot Base as a starting point?

Sweet Spot Base
Half Distance Base
Half Distance Build
Half Distance Specialty
Last edited by: blayze: Oct 17, 18 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Often times we do recommend Traditional Base for triathletes who are embarking on a long training season since it more gently builds your base compared to Sweet Spot Base. As a general guideline, if you are training under 12 hours per week, you may want to lean towards the Sweet Spot Base Plans, and if you are training over 12 hours per week, you may want to lean towards the Traditional Base Plan. That being said, neither plan will steer you wrong and you should choose the plan that you find the most interesting and motivating.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [pixel_eater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pixel_eater wrote:
Hi Bryce

I'm currently working through Sweet Spot base II (low volume) with a finish date of 11/25. I then start a 24 week build up (8 wks each half distance base/build/specialty, all mid-volume) starting 12/16, and leading up to my A race 70.3 on 6/1/19. I have two questions;

1) what would you suggest for the 25 day gap between Sweet Spot II and the beginning of my base phase in December?, and

2) I have an 11 day window from 12/22 - 1/02 to do a DIY training camp from home. I was thinking maybe to ramp up the base program to high volume for those 11 days, but would like to hear your recommendation for this as well.

Thanks!

Hey there!

One way to utilize that 25-day gap would be as a buffer in tough structured training. By taking it easy for a few weeks, you will be fresh and ready to attack your upcoming 24 week Base/ Build/ Specialty plan when the time comes. Selecting 4 weeks of Traditional Base would be a great way to continue building your Base while also allowing you to recover in preparation for the work to come.

As for your 11 day DIY Training Camp, jumping up to the High Volume plan could be a really good idea as long as you take proper precautions. Here are a few things to think about:

1. 11 days is a pretty long time for a High Volume training camp. I would recommend shooting for 7 days at High Volume and then taking three days to rest and recover from the work that has been done. It is important to remember that training stress is not making you faster unless your body is able to recover from it and adapt to it. Too much stress all at once can actually come as a detriment to your overall fitness.

2. Listen to your body throughout the Camp. Don't ignore pains or excessive fatigue. These are not the things you "tough-out"; they are your body sending you a message.

As long as you keep these things in mind, a training camp could be hugely beneficial for you and your goals :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce!
I really appreciate the attention to detail here. I've already plugged this into my TR calendar, and feel pretty comfortable that I'm set up for success.Thanks again for making yourself available on the forums.

Have a great weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 50 yr old, and did a half couple years ago and did bike in 3.5 hours. My last FTP test was 170, which is pitiful but I do have arthritis in knees. Unfortunately due to circumstances , I have not biked at all really since then. I am seeking some guidance on the best way to build a solid base as I am looking to do another half next summer. I have heard of the Maffetone approach of staying close to maximum aerobic effort, but that approach as been around a long time, still relevant, or are other approaches better? I have also heard of using intervals and training in sweet sport zone. I am not sure which approach to use, and don't want to follow the wrong approach and not maximize my effort. I would be thinking of 3-4 hours a week. I had wondered about 2 more intense workouts per week around 85% of FTP, and one longer more aerobic ride. Thoughts? Insights?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [wanna_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wanna_tri wrote:
I am 50 yr old, and did a half couple years ago and did bike in 3.5 hours. My last FTP test was 170, which is pitiful but I do have arthritis in knees. Unfortunately due to circumstances , I have not biked at all really since then. I am seeking some guidance on the best way to build a solid base as I am looking to do another half next summer. I have heard of the Maffetone approach of staying close to maximum aerobic effort, but that approach as been around a long time, still relevant, or are other approaches better? I have also heard of using intervals and training in sweet sport zone. I am not sure which approach to use, and don't want to follow the wrong approach and not maximize my effort. I would be thinking of 3-4 hours a week. I had wondered about 2 more intense workouts per week around 85% of FTP, and one longer more aerobic ride. Thoughts? Insights?

Hey there!

The best way to build your Base on 3-4 hours per week would be our Low-Volume Sweet Spot Base Plan. This plan is purpose built to maximize the time spent training so it is exactly what you're looking for. If you are looking to do a long aerobic ride on the weekends, then you can substitute a 2.5 - 3.0 hour endurance paced ride for the Sunday scheduled ride.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF! New calendar is not as easy for the technically challeged. Dang It!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenny Hines wrote:

Hey Kenny!

Sorry if the new calendar has caused any confusion. If you have any questions, don't hesistate to reach out to one of our Support Agents at support@trainerrroad.com. They would be happy to assist you.

Our Help Center can also be an excellent resource:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/sections/360002267331-Calendar

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenny Hines wrote:

I've been struggling a little with it myself. I think I finally figured out my problem -- when I click on calendar in TR, I think it opens the website. Once there, I keep wanting to click on a calendar entry to start riding it -- duh!!! that obviously won't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just came to this thread specifically to ask (complain) about this. I don't use any of the training plans so don't have anything loaded into the calendar. My issue is that in previous versions before the calendar it would show my ride history and I could quickly scroll back to grab a previous workout to load. They were all stacked in chronological order but not in a calendar format. It was essentially a "recents" listing that worked well for quick reference. Now I have to scroll back through weeks or months in the calendar looking for the workout I want. Either that or I have to use the text box to search for it...if I remember the name. Please bring back the recent workouts list. I'm not saying get rid of the calendar because I think they actually serve two different purposes. Maybe the ability to toggle between the new calendar and the previous list of recent workouts?

Kenny Hines wrote:
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Oct 25, 18 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

Out of curiosity, what is the suggested training plan schedule for ultra endurance events such as the Dirty Kanza? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to figure out when I should start focusing on next year. I didn't bike as much this past year as usual like 10 times so year I lost all of my fitness. I plan on buying a new trainer in the next couple of weeks and reupping trainer road. For next year I plan on doing IMCDA 70.3 which is June 30 and the Crusher in the Tusher which is July 13 I think. Close together events I know. I would rather bike to be ready for the Crusher and hoping to use that fitness 2 weeks earlier for CDA. Just ride as much as possible? TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I just came to this thread specifically to ask (complain) about this. I don't use any of the training plans so don't have anything loaded into the calendar. My issue is that in previous versions before the calendar it would show my ride history and I could quickly scroll back to grab a previous workout to load. They were all stacked in chronological order but not in a calendar format. It was essentially a "recents" listing that worked well for quick reference. Now I have to scroll back through weeks or months in the calendar looking for the workout I want. Either that or I have to use the text box to search for it...if I remember the name. Please bring back the recent workouts list. I'm not saying get rid of the calendar because I think they actually serve two different purposes. Maybe the ability to toggle between the new calendar and the previous list of recent workouts?

Kenny Hines wrote:

Hey there!

We're sorry about the added complication, we try to consider every use-case when creating a new update, but we aren't perfect. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain your use-case to us, it is really beneficial to gain perspective on points of view that we hadn't fully considered. With every update, we strive to make the interface better for everyone across the board, so I will pass on this feedback to the team to see if there are anything we can do with future updates to help improve your user interface.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Hey Bryce,

Out of curiosity, what is the suggested training plan schedule for ultra endurance events such as the Dirty Kanza? Thanks!

The recommended course of action for a race like DK would be:

Sweet Spot Base
Sustained Power Build
Century

Special care will need to be taken regarding your nutrition and bike fit, so you may want to lengthen some of your weekend rides to allow you to get a feel for how to fuel and survive a race that long.

This article would likely be extremely helpful for you:
https://blog.trainerroad.com/how-to-train-for-dirty-kanza/

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question about time-based training. The plan I'm on is the full-distance plan. Long runs are 2:30-3 hours long. When I started Ironman 4 years ago, I was a 4:00 runner so a 3 hour run was ~19 miles. Today I ran 21 miles in 2:30 which makes me wonder whether I should run the full 3 hours on my longest days as that seems like a lot of mileage. It would be about 25 miles every other week. Do you recommend continuing to use the time guidelines as we get faster or to top out at a certain distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snowvols wrote:
I am trying to figure out when I should start focusing on next year. I didn't bike as much this past year as usual like 10 times so year I lost all of my fitness. I plan on buying a new trainer in the next couple of weeks and reupping trainer road. For next year I plan on doing IMCDA 70.3 which is June 30 and the Crusher in the Tusher which is July 13 I think. Close together events I know. I would rather bike to be ready for the Crusher and hoping to use that fitness 2 weeks earlier for CDA. Just ride as much as possible? TIA

Hey there!

This is a bit of an interesting combo, with an Ironman and a Gravel event just two weeks apart. In this case I would recommend the Full Distance Triathlon training plan as the basis for your training since it accounts for the stress of your other two disciplines as well. The long endurance work will also align well with the demands of such a long gravel event.

Most of our Training Plans take 28 weeks to complete in their entirety, so you should back up 28 weeks from your Ironman event date. You will not be making any real gains in the two weeks between your events because you will need to recover from the Ironman effort, and also make sure you're fresh for your gravel event.

Your progression would look like this:

Full Distance Tri Base (12 weeks)
Full Distance Tri Build (8 Weeks)
Full Distance Tri Specialty (8 Weeks)
Century Weeks 7-8 (may need to reduce the rides on week 7 to aid in recovery from the IM)

I hope this helps!

Last edited by: Bryce Lewis TR: Oct 26, 18 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to know what you did to improve your running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Two questions:

Which cycling plan most closely aligns with the Full Distance Tri plans? I’m following my own plan for swim-run and want to incorporate TR for bike-only. I loaded the Full Distance Tri Base and don’t want the clutter of the swim-run sessions.

Is it possible to import plans into Training Peaks?

Many Thanks!

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next