Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce,
Not sure if I should start a new thread, or PM, or if it’s already in here. I’m doing the Half-Distance Build mid-volume plan, in prep for SR 70.3. 4 more weeks of build, then the 8 week speciality. Now that the weather is too nice to be in the garage on weekends, can I just sub out the weekend workout for a long ride without really over thinking? Or, should I look over the goals of the 4th ride of the week, and try to match that outside?

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad - small flywheel feel [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Looks like TrainerRoad just imported the entirety of my Strava history. Didn't realize I had ever given permission to TrainerRoad to do anything but post workouts to Strava. Feels a bit intrusive and I'm not even one who normally cares about that. I haven't found any way to delete all of them either. I've now killed all my sync permissions in-case TR starts pulling from TrainingPeaks.

DCRainmaker has a good synopsis and that question os answered here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...d-load-analysis.html

I actually LOVE the fact they pull in outside rides, as the metrics they now provide are so much better than most. More history and rides are always a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad - small flywheel feel [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my understanding in DC Rainmaker's comment answer that just removes it from being counted towards training metrics, but leaves the ride in the career list.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is an awesome feature to have available, but it would have been nice to have been given a heads up before hundreds/thousands of rides were ported. TR career was always a place for me to look purely at trainer based sessions. I've got TrainingPeaks for my true training log and Strava for outdoor riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
From my understanding in DC Rainmaker's comment answer that just removes it from being counted towards training metrics, but leaves the ride in the career list.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is an awesome feature to have available, but it would have been nice to have been given a heads up before hundreds/thousands of rides were ported. TR career was always a place for me to look purely at trainer based sessions. I've got TrainingPeaks for my true training log and Strava for outdoor riding.

Maybe Nate will chime in. They've been very busy with the new updates, so hopefully he'll get a few moments to come on and see if you can change it to your liking. I'm far from an expert, but love the new changes and important metrics without the worthless ones.
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Performance Analytics...outdoor rides now in TR if I understand correctly....WELL DONE GUYS!!!! Excited for this new feature.

Keep up the great work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Looks like TrainerRoad just imported the entirety of my Strava history. Didn't realize I had ever given permission to TrainerRoad to do anything but post workouts to Strava. Feels a bit intrusive and I'm not even one who normally cares about that. I haven't found any way to delete all of them either. I've now killed all my sync permissions in-case TR starts pulling from TrainingPeaks.

Hi Jack. I'm sorry it was confusing. There is a warning about this on the TR side and on the Strava side when you authorize the connection.

You can make your entire career private on TrainerRoad here: https://www.trainerroad.com/...le/rider-information.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:

Sorry about this JTolandTRI. I didn't think people would be upset about having their ride data on TR, especially with their account set as private. If you'd like I can have an engineer delete all of your non-TR rides from the platform. Just email me directly at nate@trainerroad.com and I'll create an issue for an engineer to do it.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad - small flywheel feel [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate - Thanks for the reply on here. I've been a long time TR user and have had Strava sync enable throughout. Did I miss a warning about the Strava -> TR sync or was the just part of the very initial TR -> Strava sync allowance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the offer, I'll drop over an email. Typically run my higher quality workouts through TR so nice to be able to go back and very quickly identify those without sorting through mountains of ride files.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tomee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomee wrote:
Kuttermax wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Tommasi wrote:
Since a couple of weeks I have found difficulties connecting my IPhone 5SE. It sometimes doesn't recognize the Wahoo ANT+ key or the Apple 30-Pin to Lightning adapter anymore. I thought it has to do with an IOS update but I am not sure.

Is this a more common issue?

Hey Thomas!

This is certainly an issue we've seen before, but it is typically a result of dust or debris in either your phone's port or the 30 Pin adapter. I would recommend using compressed air to clean out both ports for best results. If you are still having issues after a thorough cleaning, I would recommend reaching out to our support team at support@trainerroad.com to troubleshoot a bit deeper :)

Lots of reports of people having problems with the Wahoo ANT+ adapter since the December 2017 iOS update. I've seen the same thing. When you plug the adapter in you get a message the iOS does not support the device. Plugging and unplugging sometimes gets it to work. I've also had to shutdown iPad completely and reboot. Usually I can get it going again but it's finicky. One of the ANT+ to Bluetooth adapters is going to be a more convenient option long term. http://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/

I have the exact problem as Tommasi after the update as well.
In the end i gave up and switched to an Android device which had ANT+ chipset built in.

One of the recent updates to iOS seem to have fixed the ANT+ issue. My Wahoo adapter now seems to work every time I plug it in and don't have to remove and reinsert. This was an iOS issue and not specifically a Trainerroad issue, as it happened with other apps that use ANT+ as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
JTolandTRI wrote:

Sorry about this JTolandTRI. I didn't think people would be upset about having their ride data on TR, especially with their account set as private. If you'd like I can have an engineer delete all of your non-TR rides from the platform. Just email me directly at nate@trainerroad.com and I'll create an issue for an engineer to do it.

I for one appreciate this feature. I often do my long rides outside or one of my steady workouts like Phoenix and Gibraltar outside and finally I don’t have to have TR on my phone connected to my PM outdoors. I get to have my TSS And power PR’s all together on TR. Really well done.

I did notice that some of my older indoor rides that were done with a PM for some reason are classified as rides without power. Not sure what that’s about.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermatch [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question.
I just started using powermatch, after previously not pairing my crankbased pm indoors and only using my Kickr with trainerroad. But, on the rides that I did see my crankbased pm numbers on my Edge, I had noticed that my crankbased pm reported numbers that were consistently about 10W lower than my Kickr. Now that I'm switching to using powermatch, how should adjust my FTP. I was thinking that if my FTP based on the Kickr was 270, then I should adjust it downwards to 260 for use with powermatch (270 minus the 10w offset I've observed). Is that the right way to think about it? At least until I next retest with powermatch on? Or is there a way to actually see what the offset is?
Last edited by: sjn: May 11, 18 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
Bryce,
Not sure if I should start a new thread, or PM, or if it’s already in here. I’m doing the Half-Distance Build mid-volume plan, in prep for SR 70.3. 4 more weeks of build, then the 8 week speciality. Now that the weather is too nice to be in the garage on weekends, can I just sub out the weekend workout for a long ride without really over thinking? Or, should I look over the goals of the 4th ride of the week, and try to match that outside?

Michael

I believe I got skipped. Sorry to bump it. New P3, and no way I'm indoors on Saturday....
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad - small flywheel feel [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
JTolandTRI wrote:

I for one appreciate this feature. I often do my long rides outside or one of my steady workouts like Phoenix and Gibraltar outside and finally I don’t have to have TR on my phone connected to my PM outdoors. I get to have my TSS And power PR’s all together on TR. Really well done.

I did notice that some of my older indoor rides that were done with a PM for some reason are classified as rides without power. Not sure what that’s about.

Hey KindMidas!

Would you mind sending those particular rides to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com? If there are any instances where the data is not being imported properly, we definitely want to know so that we can investigate and resolve the issue :)

Thanks!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Powermatch [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Quick question.
I just started using powermatch, after previously not pairing my crankbased pm indoors and only using my Kickr with trainerroad. But, on the rides that I did see my crankbased pm numbers on my Edge, I had noticed that my crankbased pm reported numbers that were consistently about 10W lower than my Kickr. Now that I'm switching to using powermatch, how should adjust my FTP. I was thinking that if my FTP based on the Kickr was 270, then I should adjust it downwards to 260 for use with powermatch (270 minus the 10w offset I've observed). Is that the right way to think about it? At least until I next retest with powermatch on? Or is there a way to actually see what the offset is?

That is exactly right :) Since your power meter reads ~10 watts lower, your FTP needs to be 10 watts lower as well. Of course, the best way to know for sure will be taking an FTP test, however, it seems like you already knew that :)

One thing to mention is that we have a new test in the Workout Database that is called the Ramp Test. If you haven't had the chance to try it out, it takes less time and TSS than the standard 8/20 Minutes tests and overall, I prefer it due to the shorter period of suffering.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
mpderksen wrote:
Bryce,

Michael

I believe I got skipped. Sorry to bump it. New P3, and no way I'm indoors on Saturday....

Hey Michael!

Sorry for the delay, we've been a little extra busy with the launch of Performance Analytics this week :)

From looking at the training you have ahead, most of the Saturday rides are great candidates for outdoor work with the exception of Weeks 5 and 7. Those weeks have highly structured and important workouts that would be best completed on the trainer. For the all of the other weeks, you are more than welcome to substitute the week's final ride with an outside ride if you so choose. In general, the closer your ride matches the goals of that specific workout, the better, but having a carefree outdoor ride can also have a great effect on motivation, which in turn has a positive effect on your training, so keep in mind that there is a balance.

You will want the following factors to match up with the prescribed ride if possible/reasonable:
1. Training Stress. Your training week to week has a specific Training Stress Ramp Rate, so in order to keep your fitness on a positive upward trend, it is important to meet these goals. It is also important not to exceed them, so keep that in mind as well.
2. Time spent in each zone. This is a little tougher to do with precision, but it's good to keep the target zones in the back of your mind. Those Saturday workouts take place in the Sweet Spot to Threshold power zones, so you would not want to substitute an outdoor, high paced anaerobic group ride for example.

With the new Performance Analytics features, you can easily analyze your outdoor rides to see how closely they match the demands of the prescribed workouts, and make adjustments as needed :)

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m week 7 into the half iron man program and when I first did my FTP setting I was not long back from injury. As a result I’m thinking it’s maybe a little lower than it should be as I’m finding I’m manually bumping up the % during my sessions.

Should I do another FTP test and if so can I re enter it so that it adjusts all the remaining training sessions I have planned? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I’m week 7 into the half iron man program and when I first did my FTP setting I was not long back from injury. As a result I’m thinking it’s maybe a little lower than it should be as I’m finding I’m manually bumping up the % during my sessions.

Should I do another FTP test and if so can I re enter it so that it adjusts all the remaining training sessions I have planned? Thanks

Hey Dunno!

If you're finding even the hardest workouts of the week too easy, then it is definitely time to retest. With the new Ramp Test, it's easy to slot a test into your training since it only takes about 20 minutes and is around 20-30 TSS. Just be sure to reduce one of your other less critical workouts of the week by 20-30 TSS to compensate :)

When you complete the test, you will be prompted to accept the new FTP. When you accept, it will apply that FTP to all of your rides moving forward.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
dunno wrote:

Hey Dunno!

If you're finding even the hardest workouts of the week too easy, then it is definitely time to retest. With the new Ramp Test, it's easy to slot a test into your training since it only takes about 20 minutes and is around 20-30 TSS. Just be sure to reduce one of your other less critical workouts of the week by 20-30 TSS to compensate :)

When you complete the test, you will be prompted to accept the new FTP. When you accept, it will apply that FTP to all of your rides moving forward.

Happy training!

Awesome thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce, thanks for the previous help. June 4th I start the Specialty phase, just 8 weeks from my target 70.3. Looking at the options, I see a pretty dramatic jump from the mid-volume to the high, on the Sunday rides. Yesterday I rode 2:15, so I’m able to ramp up to the longer if that’s best, but it’s a bit of a stretch. My estimated ride pace for the race is right at 20mph, so I’m not sure how much over 3 hours I should ride. However, as soon as this is done, I’m switching the the Full Distance plan to prep for Cozumel. Suck it up and do the high mileage specialty plan?
Last edited by: mpderksen: May 13, 18 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Powermatch [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
sjn wrote:
Quick question.

That is exactly right :) Since your power meter reads ~10 watts lower, your FTP needs to be 10 watts lower as well. Of course, the best way to know for sure will be taking an FTP test, however, it seems like you already knew that :)

One thing to mention is that we have a new test in the Workout Database that is called the Ramp Test. If you haven't had the chance to try it out, it takes less time and TSS than the standard 8/20 Minutes tests and overall, I prefer it due to the shorter period of suffering.

Happy training!

Thanks! Appreciate the reply.
Quote Reply
ERG mode on hammer [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate, question for you, as I know you use the cycleops hammer as well. The past couple of rides I've done I've had some funkiness with the resistance during intervals (for me, sweet spot in the 240-260w range), where it seems like erg mode is trying to keep me around 84 rpm for cadence, where i can feel a noticable increase in resistance when I try to keep my cadence in my usual upper 80-low 90 range. Does this sound like it could a result of software control or possible a hardware thing? Figured I'd ask in case you have experienced yourself. (And this is via bluetooth with the ios app on ipad) I'll be happy to email you any additional details or put this for support to document, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: resetting season for CX [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pgp128 wrote:
Hi Bryce, I've been thinking of doing a bit of a reset with my season, I've done all the sweet spot base and have done general build 1.5 times. I've done a couple of road races and may still do a couple more, but I've kind of set my focus on CX for the fall, plus I want to mix in long rides instead of thinking about build intervals lol. Anyhow, my CTL is at 85 and my TSB is slightly positive as well, I haven't done the projections with the SSB 1, but would you recommend with the level of fitness I have that I start with SSB 2 instead?

BTW I did the ramp test today, and I think the algorithm may be taking the final minute (like taking into consideration the few seconds at the end I slowed to a stop) rather than the best minute. Not sure if anyone has brought this up, hope this helps!

Hey there!

In the case that you are doing a full reset into a new season, meaning that you take time off and plan to rebuild into a new year, then we recommend starting with SSB 1.

However, in your situation, where you have not completed a Specialty Phase, it could work well for you to jump in at SSB II. The best route will then ultimately depend on when your season will end in your area.

If your last race takes place Mid-December:
SSB II
Short Power Build
CX Specialty
Peak Maintance Phase (up to 8 weeks)**

If your last race takes place mid-January
SSB 1
SSB II
Short Power Build
CX Specialty
Peak Maintance Phase (up to 8 weeks)**

As for the Ramp Test concern, the formula is based off the max one minute power, but if you went over your target power in the final minute, then an adjustment factor will kick in to "turn down" your FTP. If you'd like me to take a look at your test, just DM me your username and I can check it out.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

**Peak Maintance Phase:
You will complete your full 28 week Base/Build/Specialty program right on the doorstep of your first A race, or the first race in an extended series . After your first major, you will jump into the Peak Maintenance Phase where you will complete Weeks 7 and 8 of Specialty on repeat. The purpose of this Phase is to keep your training volume and stress rather low, while maintaining the "snap" your legs need for optimal performance. This Phase can be repeated for a maximum of 8 Weeks if necessary for weekly race series, however any longer and you will not be able to maintain peak performance.

Quote Reply
Re: need to make my taper week a bit longer [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Hi Bryce

Hoping you could give me some advice. Currently working my way through HIM base/build/specialty. Because of various scheduling issues, the start of my training week is on a Saturday which means that the plan ends two days before my race (race is 29 July, plan's race day would be 27 July). How do I schedule my final week or two to account for the extra days?

Thanks for the help!

Hey there!

I ran this by Chad and this is what he had to say;
"In the interest of staying sharp without adding any fatigue, you could repeat one or two of the taper workouts (swim & bike, run if you’re a proficient runner). Using one of the two days for another rest day isn’t a bad option either. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where one extra day of recovery would be a bad thing, especially if another day is used to sharpen."

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any clarifying questions :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Hi Nate - Thanks for the reply on here. I've been a long time TR user and have had Strava sync enable throughout. Did I miss a warning about the Strava -> TR sync or was the just part of the very initial TR -> Strava sync allowance?

It was part of the initial allowance. I feel bad that some people are confused.

We're building a tool right now to delete all of your Strava data from TR.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next