Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl!

Interesting that the numbers don't align...I pulled the part number I posted from the owners manual I found here: http://www.trekbikes.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Mar 23, 14 15:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might have been an old part #. The info I gave you is the latest I have.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. Figured it was best to ask.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got myself a 2014 SC 7.5, and while unloading it from my truck a few days later, I clipped the speed fin. A small piece broke off. Where can I order a replacement? Am I just missing it on the Trek Store and Bontrager websites, or do I need to contact support? Thanks.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PN w326750 via any Trek dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, got one for you... when I first got my Draft Box 2, as I was trying to install it, I wrestled with the little black button that somehow, magically released the box from the mount. In the process the little black button and spring went flying (it still took me a couple more minutes to get the two separated). Amazingly, I was able to find the little black button, but the spring is gone forever. Is that an actual part? Can I get one somehow? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure that's not a separate part for support purposes. the button assembly was designed such that it would take a pretty determined effort to disassemble...i.e. not something that would happen during normal use.

the spring diameter is very similar to what you'd find in a retractable ball point pen. those pen springs can vary in length though, so if you want to try a DIY fix you'll need to experiment a little.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl - was just in the final steps of ordering a 2014 9.9 - and was just told by my local bike shop that I can't order the bike with Aeolus 9 D3 wheels instead of the Aeolus 5 D3 wheels that are standard. Dealer told me I can only do this as part of Project one (which I completely understand) but he isn't a project one dealer? Sounds very odd that I can't go to the bike shop where I have bought multiple Treks to get a simple wheel swap (everything else is standard). I am in Australia - so not sure if there is anything I can do - don't really want to go to a different bike dealer...?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know why that particular dealer doesn't participate in Project One, but the situation you/they describe sounds right...custom spec is one of Project One's features. The alternative, buying a spec bike and the intended component swap(s), leaves one or both of you with the leftovers to try and resell. Some customers and some dealers are willing to do that, some aren't...but it's their choice either way.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, I'm trying to find a 100/45 stem for my 2013 series 9 SC, will this one fit? http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/...pt-stem-195857-1.htm
And what's the difference between the x lite stem, just weight? Where can I get the x lite stems?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Quadratum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woot. Got a fitting done today and then went bike shopping. Found a killer deal on a 2012 7.8. Still waiting on the official spec sheet from the fitter and want to make sure that this bike is absolutely the bike for me. My fitter did say that I would be a size small in a speed concept so I think I'll be ok but want to know for sure. Anyway, the shop let me put a small deposit on the bike to hold it for me until I give them the nod next week. Pretty stoked right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [timtri13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enlighten me on how you got rid of the upturn on the basebar. Did you just cut and then file the internal diameter to fit the brake levers?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Quadratum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a 2014 SC stem...you need one of these...PN 420565 to be exact. There aren't different levels of stem within each generation...i.e. no Race Lite and Race X Lite version of the old stems or the new ones.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

Finding that my 2014 SC Extension bar and pads for some reason has the left side tilting up by 1 degree; creating a pad that's about 3mm higher on the left vs right. Enough that it makes my left arm while aero go numb from not being level. Any suggestions as to what the culprit may be that is causing the sideways tilt? Base bars seem to be level so I'm guessing its something above that. Going to try rebuilding the cockpit again to see if the tilt will magically go away.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [DeejayRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey (Mr) Deejay-

forgive for trying to catch up to where you are...what was the reference plane for the pad height difference, and how did you determine that the reference plane itself was actually square to the world?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply Carl -

Bike is mounted on a trainer, base bars were measured with a digital level that came out square, level was placed on unwrapped portion of extensions which came out 0.8-1 degree high on the left side, then I took a ruler and measured the distance between the base bar and top of the pad bar - at each end the bar was 3mm higher on the left than on the right. This issue arose when I dropped the monospacer height. The extension is pushed all the way forward. I didn't even notice the discrepancy until my left arm would tingle and go numb on my rides - thinking it was just me trying to get used to the new fit. Di2 shifters in the cockpit. Is it possible there can be slight rotation allowed between the monospacer / plate / extension prior to the bolts being fastened?

Thanks,
Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thx.

first thought is that something is caught between the bar and the monospacer...I know from experience it's easy for a Di2 wire to go astray and get squished in there...in both (DOH!) cases for me, it ended up severing the connection and poof went my shifting at the effected pod.

then I'd check for something at the pad wing to monospacer interface...first, spin the pad wing 180deg and reinstall and remeasure. see if the delta switches sides. if it does, it's may be in the wing or above (pad holders, etc). if it doesn't, look for something like excess paint or clearcoat (or some random bit of stuff) between them on the effected side. since paint/clearcoat is generally somewhat softer than the underlying carbon you might see an impression in them on one side vs the other.

ETA: if delta doesn't change sides on the wing flip, it also may be in the spacer-cradle-mono assembly. I'd keep switching things 180deg to isolate. install the mono backwards...cradle backwards...etc. thankfully, with Di2 this sort of thing is a lot easier than with mechanical setups.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Mar 30, 14 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks -

I flipped the pad wing while waiting for your response and left side is still higher so i'm assuming its something with the monospacer / cradle / mono assembly. I'll rebuild the cockpit and make sure all surfaces are pristine and see what happens.

Also, unfortunately my base bar got a paint chip while working on the cockpit, what is the best solution for chipped paint on carbon?

Thanks,
Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clear nail polish, or clear acrylic model paint (e g. Testors).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a 2014 Speed concept 7.5 with draft box + speed box and the speed concept water cage,

But what water bottle is everyone using on the SC aero bar mount cage?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [meerkite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to just use a standard 20oz bottle so you can take hand-ups for long course races. However some folks don't mind refilling a fixed system like a Profile or Speedfill bottle. Remember, the lightest and most aero bottle is one that isn't there... meaning if you simply exchange that BTA bottle then you might only need a 2nd reserve bottle behind the seat on down tube for long course. That bottle could also be a concentrated mix as well.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

First time user and newbie in general....need quick help....Im going out in a few hours to look at a SC 7 for size...id really like it and want it but worried it will be a bit small for me. Im 6ft 5 with 34 inch inseam (i think) but a good proportion of height is in my back. I notice the top tube on the SC 7 is 565mm compared to some other manufacturers with frames of 580 and 594 it would seem to not be suited to my height? can this be counter acted by the stem etc? Im getting a very good deal on it as well btw...but a great deal is a bad one if bike doesnt fit...i figure

I realise there is probably years of knowledge and information in answering this question but even a rough estimate in your experienced pov would be helpful before I take the word of the salesman ; )

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fmcivor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What sizes are you comparing? And what stems?

I've got your inseam but apparently 3 inches less height, and I can fit both the L and the XL with Long-Low stems and different spacer stacks. I'm quite sure you'll be able to fit the XL.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fmcivor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

Toptube length doesn't mean much without knowing the seat tube angle...IOW, I can start with the XL SC frame geometry and simply modify the STA to get all three toptube lengths you mention without changing the fit. 565 on a 78deg STA is the same as 580 with a ~76.6deg STA is the same as 594 with a ~75deg STA. That's because the reach...horizontal distance from BB to top of head tube...is 445 for all three.

Sizing based on nothing but a person's height is not the way anyone should really go about things, but when you are at the extremes (short or tall) it does get easier to generalize. At 6'5" I'd be surprised if a Large was big enough for you. Might be OK on stack based on your inseam comment, but if you're truly long in the torso I don't think it's going to have the reach you need. Xl seems like a better starting point.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next