Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BeeDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're looking at a 7-series frameset...which model year?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2011 I believe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK...

Front brake, seatpost, and all your cockpit hardware swaps directly.

Cranks can move over if you've got the right BB86 cups in the 7-series frame.

You'd also want to make sure the 7-series came with the original BB cable guide and rear brakes (and rear brake cover).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having thought about this all week and being both pissed off and amazed at the same time I thought I would put this out there. Did any of you know that using your Speed Concept on a trainer would void your warranty? Well I bet more than a few of you are going to say without a moments thought that I am wrong, however after suffering a major catastrophe with a part departing from the frame on my bike, I contacted Trek for more info on the "Loyalty Replacement Program" only to be told by a Trek Customer Service Rep that placing my bike clamped into a trainer does not allow it to flex and move the way it should, and as a result of the failure occurring at that time, it is not considered normal use and my frame would not be able to be replaced at a discounted rate under the program.

Am I pissed? YES!!

Will I ever buy a Trek product again? Well, oddly enough, if I buy a new frame I can swap the vast majority of components over and get going again for less than a couple of grand, so MAYBE I would. I can even buy a used bike complete for the same amount, but I am curious... Did anyone of you ever have a failure while on the trainer? Is this little tidbit about voiding the warranty mentioned in the owners manual? No, it is not.

Given that, I would say, nearly 100% of people buying these high end bikes are using them year round and in some sort of trainer, is this a little dishonest of Trek? Obviously if I go to a dealer and say that it failed, there is no way I am going to say it happened in the trainer, but I like to think I am a fairly honest person and if this is truly the policy then I would take it on the chin as a learning experience and let others know, but what I would like to know (mainly from you Carl) is if this is the case, as the customer service rep said, being clamped in the trainer puts undue stress on the frame in a way for which it was not designed, why are buyers not being told to avoid putting their very expensive bikes in a trainer? I guess this is a bit of a rant, but I can't help myself.

Soapbox mode off,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, hope your well...
I was just switching over the rear derailleur on a brand new SC 2.5 and in the process one of the grub screws on the rear derailleur broke... I vaguely remember reading in this thread that there have been problems with these screws? Therefore I'm not sure if it was my fault or the screw was weak...
So I guess I need a new screw and am wondering if you could please give me the part number for the rear derailleur hanger screw... Il be ordering the part from australia.
Also is there a manual somewhere online where I can access part number so that I do not have to hassle you?
Cheers
Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm about to convert a 2011 SC to the new 11 sp ultegra di2 using the 5 port junction box. I am using the 80/75 stem currently. Do you think the 5 port junction box can fit and hide underneath the 80/75 plastic stem cover? I'd really prefer it be hidden away and out of sight.

If this can't be done then where do you recommend I put it? Do you have any pictures of where it should go or how I should mount it? Just looking for some advice.

Thanks for all your help and advice throughout the years!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi BeeDub

Sorry to hear about your bike. Here's a link to the specific language in the online owners manual regarding trainer usage.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mr.Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeremy-

It's no hassle (and small parts lists tend to be more dealer-oriented, so they aren't published). The bolt PN depends on which hanger PN you've got (it's stamped on the inside face). Here's the cheat sheet.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a fair amount of space inside the tall stems (110/75 and 80/75), so it's possible...but without one in front of me I can't say for sure.

As for external mounting, the e-Tube Di2 system came out quite a while after the original SC hardware, so there aren't any designed-in mounting and access provisions like there are on the new bike...that means you're in custom/DIY mode. In your place I'd probably try to lay things out such that my wire access hole(s) went through the rubber cable hood behind the stem. Mock it up before you cut, whatever you do, to make sure the wire lengths will let you put things where you want them in the end.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Im ordering a Di2 kit for the new SC. Could you tell me what size grommets I should order (6mm or 7x8mm)? Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither, if those are the Shimano grommets. Those are for frames which have been designed with holes to Shimano specs...which the SC is not. Any Di2 grommets you'd need for the SC would be found in our Road Di2 kit, pn 431222.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl-

Any chance you can give a quick overview of the differences between a SC7 vs SC9... I'm sure it is buried somewhere in the thread but it is a little long to dig through?

I know it is slightly different carbon that is a little heavier and less stiff and I believe there are aluminum dropouts vs carbon but I can't figure out what other differences.

Thanks in advance...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're asking about the 2014 bike, at the frameset level the differences are carbon vs aluminum dropouts and different carbon layups for what ends up being maybe 250g of weight difference (varies a lot by paint job) and stiffness differences so small I doubt anyone can tell the difference.

For the previous platform, it's carbon layup differences (the 7 is actually stiffer, in addition to being heavier), BB86 vs BB90, and a more conventional front end on the 7 plus the headtube shape differences that go along with it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Carl, any recommendation and caution if I want to carry my speed concept 9.9 (2014) on the Thule bike carrier? Thule has two models of bike carrier: Outride (clamp on the fork wheel dropout) and Proride (clamp on the down tube). Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [eamonmikami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there-

Not really familiar with either of those racks, but from the Proride page it appears the frame clamp may be near the limit of its capacity to grab the 80mm deep downtube of an SC...whereas the Outride wouldn't appear to have any problem grabbing the fork and rear wheel.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I have Trek SC 7.0 and change the rear wheel quite often (training and racing wheels are different widths). Would anyone of these inline brake cable adjusters from Shimano be OK for rear brake adjustment?

http://www.rosebikes.com/...r-sm-cb90/aid:592177
or
http://www.rosebikes.com/...r-sm-cb70/aid:520141

Thank you in advance...

http://lc-triathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Would you have the part no's for the shimano bb's handy for the new SC9.9 ?

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LC-triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Carl obviously.... but those will work. Or you could get some brake levers with integrated adjustment like:

http://www.bontrager.com/model/09848

probably too pricey, but definitely a nice upgrade over many stock brake levers
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless the internal part number changed it is:

411813 ceramic
404699 steel
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
unless the internal part number changed it is:

411813 ceramic
404699 steel

Thanks for that,

Noel,
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LC-triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there-

The rear brake on the original SC (7 & 9 series) wasn't designed for use with any form of barrel adjuster...the intent was for spacer stack changes between the pad holders and the brake arms. Not an ideal solution, and we changed that for the 2014 model.

zachboring is correct that either the Shimano inline adjuster you linked to, or our Bontrager RXXXL Aero levers with the integrated barrel adjuster, can change the pad width without having to swap spacers around. BUT, this does change how the brake was intended to function. People who go this route typically set the brake up correctly on their wide rim, and then use the barrel adjusters to take up cable and bring the pads closer to their narrow rim. On the 2010-2013 SC this can move the brake wedge (which pushes against the brake arms) beyond the "home" position and remove some of the brake arm travel. The amount depends on how different your rim widths are...and depending on how much gap you prefer between pads and rim you may find yourself without enough travel for adequate brake function on your narrow rims.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Carl very much! Insightful response, as always!

Regards...

Klemen

http://lc-triathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
On a somewhat related note...could you advise the drag differences (grams or watts) between the triathlon and UCI versions of the 2014 Trek 9? I couldn't find this in the technical White Paper.
Thanks.
Bruce
Last edited by: bharries: Feb 18, 14 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bharries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bruce-

Don't have hard #s for you. Head-to-head, a UCI-legal configuration of the 2014SC vs the P5-3 resulted in a similar graph to the non-UCI comparisons you see in the white paper. If you want to go for a rough guess on UCI vs non-UCI, then, you could add up the UCI vs non deltas they claimed in their paper plus the rear brake cover deltas claimed in ours.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I ordered a Project One 9.9 last year and I ordered it with the aeolus 9 tubulars. Is there any way to purchase the aeolus 9 clincher?
Quote Reply

Prev Next