Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks a lot, Carl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 speed concept 9.5 in medium. Just had a fit and I'm looking for pad stack/reach of 650/505. Which stem would work best for me?

Head Coach Grn Mchn Multisports Coaching, LLC
http://www.grnmchnmultisports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [DanSzajta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the most appropriate one for your new fit #s is the 100/45...part# 420565 includes the cover.

a medium 2011 9.5 could have come with either the 60/45 or the 100/45, so you might already have it. the stem PN is printed on the underside of the stem where it supports the bar/

to answer your bolt question from the other thread, those small setscrews are not available separately. while you can still get the old pad holders (422481 Fr, 422482 Rr), they have the same small setscrew and it's possible you could end up in the same place you are now. good news is, the newer Madones (and SCs) have gone to a pad holder design with a slightly larger cap head bolt. those pad holders are PN 433749.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks!

Head Coach Grn Mchn Multisports Coaching, LLC
http://www.grnmchnmultisports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this has been posted before, but as I research into getting a crank-based power meter, I just want to confirm I'm looking at the right things.

I have a 2013 Speed Concept 7.0 with SRAM Apex components. Looking at the Quarq, Power2Max and possibly (used) SRM. Am I correct in that I should be looking at the GXP versions of these power meters? And that they should basically just pop right in after I remove the current crank? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brandonblanck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
correct and correct (assuming you don't change chainring size..which might require a different chain length & moving the front derailleur)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, appreciate the quick response!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brandonblanck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just pretty much finished assembling my 2014 Speed Concept 9 and to say that it's a step up in quality from my previous Chinese frame would be an understatement!

Couple of quick points - firstly could anyone identify these parts - I don't see them in the manual and they bag didn't have a part number. My best guess is that they can go under the bar tape on the top/front of the base bars to add a bit of comfort/stop you slipping forwards:

Also, the screws to fit the arm pads seem to have been missing from my boxes of bits, so could someone confirm the size and length for me?

Another point, on the issue of fitting a BTA bottle, while this may not be the official way of doing things, I reckon I'll do the following:

I'll use a slightly longer bottle cage bolt with a spacer for the back of the cage, and then for the front mount I'll drill and tap a hole which for me corresponds with the centre of the pad wing, unless Carl thinks that this will horribly weaken the structure to the point of being dangerous! In which case it'll be either zip ties or something else...

One further point - when packing the bike up for travelling, I need to remove my bars and fix them alongside my frame. What is the usual way of creating enough slack in the brake cables to do so? I'm running Di2 so I can easily just disconnect one wire for gears. Do people pull the brake wedges out from between the caliper arms to free up some cable?

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [turboferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rich-

The bar bumps are exactly what you guessed they are.

Pad holder bolts are M4 x 10mm button head...included in bar bolt kit 437027 (also 1st generation SC pad holder kit 420488) if you or your Trek dealer want to get them that way. Side note: it would be very helpful if your dealer makes a quality claim related to the missing bolts. Helps us track & rectify things like that.

Absolutely do NOT recommend drilling and tapping where you indicated. I've used zipties for one end and bolted down to one of the threaded mono details before and it works...you may want to put a spacer of some sort between the mono and your cage at the bolted end though...otherwise the cage ends up at an angle and you risk cracking it.

The packing tip for brake cable slack is exactly as you guessed as well. Definitely helps for the front brake...not always necessary for rear depending on what stem you're running and how much housing slack has been left on the frame from initial assembly.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive reply!

The frame came direct from the US to the Indian distributor, no dealers involved.

I did think that drilling in the centre of the bar might not be totally ideal given that the peak bending moment would be there - I'll resort to zip ties instead :)

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: is there a part to widen the pads [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never saw an answer to this, does anyone know of any part to widen the elbow pads on a 2012 SC 9 series?
johnnyyd wrote:
Just checking in to see if any of you have found a part to add some width to the elbow pads. I just had a Retuel fit and they suggested I widen my pads to take some stress off my neck. I have broad shoulders and like the bars where they are but need some more width on my elbows and i have the stock ones at their widest settings thanks..
Last edited by: sokaok: Apr 18, 14 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: tire size [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone running 700x25 tires?? I picked up some gatorskins recently and my draft box is rubbing just enough to where it's super annoying. It's not the entire box, just the little peice that connects the bottom piece and the top piece -- the little segment in between the seat stays. I tried sticking some rubber from an old tube sandwiched on top of the seat stay, but no luck... 2013 7.8...

I apologize if this has been covered.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Apr 18, 14 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl

I have a 2014 Speed Concept 7.0. Is there any way I can upgrade to the 7.5/9.0 cockpit and, if so, what parts do I need to have my LBS order? Thanks.

Edit: any chance that any of the parts from the 13 and prior model years are compatible? The base bar in particular. Thanks.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 21, 14 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there's a cockpit upgrade form on the dealers' ordering website (aka Dexter), and it walks them through the choices for each component (stems, monospacers, etc), so there's not a single part # but a list to choose from and your dealer can see all of them.

None of the prior model year parts are compatible with the new bike, unless you count the original ergo extensions (used with the new plug'n'play mono) and the original speedbox (not draftbox).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: tire size [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Anyone running 700x25 tires?? I picked up some gatorskins recently and my draft box is rubbing just enough to where it's super annoying.
I'm running Bontrager R3 25mm tires on my 2013 7.0, they don't rub. Obviously not all tires labeled 25mm are the same height! Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for how to get those tires to work.

Good luck
Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Yes, there's a cockpit upgrade form on the dealers' ordering website (aka Dexter), and it walks them through the choices for each component (stems, monospacers, etc), so there's not a single part # but a list to choose from and your dealer can see all of them.

None of the prior model year parts are compatible with the new bike, unless you count the original ergo extensions (used with the new plug'n'play mono) and the original speedbox (not draftbox).

And the wheel skewers :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the armpads & their holders...brake pads and their holders (but not the brake arms)...

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Carl,

I had an accident a couple days ago with my 2013 Speed Concept 7.5. I fell and landed on my right side, also bending my rear derailleur that got stuck between wheel spokes. I somehow managed to bend the derailleur back, although not completely, to get home. It seems, that the aluminium(?) dropout is well bent (the color broke off). Can this be fixed (i.e. bent and straightened) or do you recommend a replacement?

Thank you in advance and best regards!

http://lc-triathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LC-triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the accident...hope you weren't badly injured!

I recommend you talk to your Trek dealer about a crash replacement. While you could get a new replaceable portion of the hanger, the portion of the dropout integral to the frame can't be repaired or replaced by itself. Both parts are aluminum, so neither one can be considered safe to ride (except maybe to get home, as you did) after bending them back.

LC-triathlete wrote:
Dear Carl,

I had an accident a couple days ago with my 2013 Speed Concept 7.5. I fell and landed on my right side, also bending my rear derailleur that got stuck between wheel spokes. I somehow managed to bend the derailleur back, although not completely, to get home. It seems, that the aluminium(?) dropout is well bent (the color broke off). Can this be fixed (i.e. bent and straightened) or do you recommend a replacement?

Thank you in advance and best regards!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Post deleted by elliotvjones [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the 2014 SC 7.5, what is the best over the counter solution to mount a Garmin to the bars, anyone have a solution that works for them?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where would the Di2 battery pack be located on the new 9.9 model?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iPLAYtriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the internal battery is held in a clip that attaches to the bottom of the seatpost. if you run the external battery (newer e-tube version or the original one) it mounts to a rail that is bolted to a Di2-specific rear brake cover.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brian_j_smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brian_j_smith wrote:
For the 2014 SC 7.5, what is the best over the counter solution to mount a Garmin to the bars, anyone have a solution that works for them?

I'm using an X-lab mount and have the bottle facing backwards (I find it easier to remove that way) and the computer in front of it. The computer sits almost between my hands so I can see my power and other data data at a glance without hardly looking down... and even better it's far enogh in frotn that my sweat doesnt; land on it on the trainer. I probably get in 2/3rd of my miles on the trainer.

The Z4 bottle mounts is pretty nice too and cheaper, but the computer sits higher and further back... for better or worse.

There's also those round Profile Design computer mounts. I use one for a headlight when I do venture out for morning rides before dawn.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will take a look at them...
Quote Reply

Prev Next