Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be a total new tri position. I know that the current road position will not work on a true tri bike. I was able to get into the shop for a full guru bike fit so I will know by the afternoon what will likely work best for me. thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [velomania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, then, that's different. how tall are you?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [velomania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that I'd reach exactly the same conclusions as Dan (particularly with respect to brands), but based on what little we have to go on, I can't make a recommendation on SC size and feel good about it. Deals come and go and come around again. The great deal you end up not being able to use for whatever reason is lost $. More power to you if you can afford it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

First, thanks for all the time you spend educating us. I am interested in your feedback on the SC 9.5 for me.

Background
M40-44
6'2" with a 33" inseam
Typical white collar flexibility; slowly getting longer and lower on my Scott Plasma 2. 2014 will be my third season racing long course.

Current measurements:
Pad Reach: 495
Pad Stack: 700

Base Bar Reach: 650
Base Bar Stack: 625
Last edited by: GreatScott: Nov 17, 13 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

I'd appreciate your feedback on my previous post. I read your write-up on the SC and see you are also 6'2" and on the XL, albeit in a much longer/lower position.

I'm comfortable on the measurements above from my Scott, but always wondered whether that bike fits me well.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. Went for a fit today and got a good starting position. BTW Dan, Greg Pelican says hi. More options with a L instead of the XL on a SC. However, got a good deal on a Guru 901 that fits perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Scott-

You could make either a Large or XL work...the former being a better match where the basebar location is concerned. However, That pad reach is pretty far out there for as much pad stack as you have...makes me wonder if the XL isn't the better option for future position changes, to keep your long-ish upper body from getting too far forward of a happy handling place. I'm assuming that if you go down siginificantly you'll also go forward...it's not guaranteed, but it's how things usually go if you're starting from a reasonable fit to begin with.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw 2014 Trek Speed Concept at LBS. It looked so sweet and nice but it is very pricey. My question is how is huge difference between 2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.8 (My current bike) to 2014 Trek Speed Concept 9? Is it worth for me to upgrade to 2014 Trek SC with huge bang of $$? Or I could upgrade my current bike little bit such as new wheel set or components?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl. I realized I had another question for you. I was going through the ordering process on the project 1. I'm getting the Large with High Near Stem. I wasn't sure which seatpost. My guess was the 275 with a 15 offset. Is there a trick to determining which one to get?

My measurements I posted earlier were pad stack 690, reach 460. 5'11.5'', 33'' inseam. 78.3mm seat height.

Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jmcfc38] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries

You're probably right on the line of needing the longer one...fit chart shows max height to the rails with with the short 15mm post on the large frame is 736mm. If your saddle is at least 47mm tall from rails to top then you can run the shorter post at max height (minimum insert) and never go higher. The longer post is the safer bet.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need to replace the allen bolts that hold the extension clamps and p-clamps. Are the 10-32 threaded? And while I'm at it, the riser kit bolts - 10-24?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M5x16 for the extension and p-clamps, M6x(whatever length you're replacing) for the riser kit bolts.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I'm using no riser spacers so what length would that be?

Are the 4 bolts that hold the base bar to the stem considered flat head hex socket?

Carl wrote:
M5x16 for the extension and p-clamps, M6x(whatever length you're replacing) for the riser kit bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case you make a change sometime, you can find the correct length bolt for each spacer combo in the owners manual under Aerobar Assembly.

Yes, the bar to stem bolts are flat head.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the difference of those numbers ? ceramic?

Thanks!

packaging

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha.. ok. are they ceramic than?

nope, steel. I don't see any evidence of a press-fit ceramic BB on their tech site either.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(If this isn't the right place for this question, please let me know, thanks)

Carl can you speak to the changes between the 2013 and 2014 speed concept 7 models?

I think there is a wsd in my future and I'm looking between model years. THANKS!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an entirely new, aerodynamically faster bike.

The old 7-series shared tube shapes with the 9-series beginning just behind the headtube because it used a more traditional front end (no integrated brakes, no external-steerer "bayonet" style fork). You also couldn't upgrade to a 9-series front end on the 7-series frame.

For 2014 there's no difference in frame shapes between the 7- and 9-series, the 7.5 even comes with exactly the same cockpit as the 9 (and the 7.0 can be upgraded to the same thing), 7-series is now available on Project One for your component and paint customization desires, and it's quite a bit lighter than the old 7.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
It's an entirely new, aerodynamically faster bike.

The old 7-series shared tube shapes with the 9-series beginning just behind the headtube because it used a more traditional front end (no integrated brakes, no external-steerer "bayonet" style fork). You also couldn't upgrade to a 9-series front end on the 7-series frame.

For 2014 there's no difference in frame shapes between the 7- and 9-series, the 7.5 even comes with exactly the same cockpit as the 9 (and the 7.0 can be upgraded to the same thing), 7-series is now available on Project One for your component and paint customization desires, and it's quite a bit lighter than the old 7.

Thank you so much!

On the Trek website it looks like its ONLY available as P1 - is that the case? (My 2009 Madone 5.2 is a P1 :) )
Last edited by: MtnBikerChk: Nov 21, 13 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. If you're in love with the colorway pictured there, and/or need the XS size then yes, it's labeled as P1...if not, you'll note the spec is exactly the same as the 7.5.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Yes and no. If you're in love with the colorway pictured there, and/or need the XS size then yes, it's labeled as P1...if not, you'll note the spec is exactly the same as the 7.5.

well, since my Madone is a 47.....I'm probably a xs :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I love that size SC, too...the kids got to play mini-me at the Trek 100 this summer:

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Agreed. I love that size SC, too...the kids got to play mini-me at the Trek 100 this summer:

LOL so you're telling me I'm the size of a child. Awesome ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next