Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
No, I can't. Wire lengths will vary by frame size and your personal preferences on excess length, for example. bcurrie posted this list for an Ultegra Di2 rebuild on his medium 2011 7-series back in September...there wouldn't be any changes for a 2014 other than the seatpost battery bracket w332400 which hold's Shimano's BTR2 internal battery (and you'd have to be running one of the 9-series carbon seatposts, since the aluminum 7-series posts don't have the mounting bosses for that bracket...PN depends on length and offset). if you plan to go DA then sub those parts in where applicable (derailleurs, etc).

Thanks carl, i think i've got a pretty good list of whats needed from that link. One question, where can you buy a 9 series 2014 seatpost, preferably online?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stanlives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a Trek dealer. Some have online ordering, but not every part can be ordered that way...so I suspect you're going to end up having to at least call a dealer either way. Don't know where you live, but there's a "where to buy" link on the Trekbikes.com homepage for pretty much every country we operate in, and that's a good palce to start looking.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, i'll chat to a dealer and see how i go as its going to take me a while to get the Di2 parts anyway. I assume you're right and will confirm when my bike eventually arrives, but i find it interesting how online one of the features of the 7.5 is electronic drivetrain optimisation with a picture of the battery in the seatpost. If i do need to order a new 9 series seatpost for the battery, then the website needs updating...

cheers
Quote Reply
RL rear cage holder [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Bontrager RL rear cage holder on my SC 7.
I found the threaded CO2 cartridge holders, but I can't figure out how to mount a CO2 inflator head.
Also, he threaded inserts to hold the cages on came loose, so I had to use zip ties.

Does anyone know how to mount a CO2 inflator on the RL cage holder?

Has anyone had issues wit the mounts coming out?

Thanks
Last edited by: Jack Straw: Dec 10, 13 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Any Trek dealer can order up the stem cover you need...PN depends on which stem you have:

Cover PN Stem size

420540 50/10
420541 100/10
420542 60/45
420543 100/45
420544 80/75
420545 110/75

Hi Carl,

Just got the 2014 Speed Concept 7.5 with a mid-far stem but the stem cover will not fit properly and, additionally, one of the two bolt holes is too narrow to fit the bolt (!) so it is not possible to put it in place anyway...I asked the dealer at Sunrise Cyclery to order a replacement cover but they said it was backordered (!).

I would really like a new cover and be able to ride my bike as intended!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [nilsjohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That stem cover (PN w326772) is showing in-stock from the WI and CA warehouses but none in NJ...I'm not sure what the process is by which dealers can request shipping from a warehouse other than their regional site (if you're talking about Sunrise Cyclery in NY they'd get their orders filled from the NJ distribution center, for example)...but I'll bet if they work with their rep something can be worked out.

The root cause of a too-small bolt hole is hard to diagnose without having it in hand, but opening up the hole with a drill bit a little larger than the bolt diameter is one way to address it (at least temporarily) without having to wait for a new cover. I would make sure the hole you're drilling through is supported, to reduce risk of cracking the cover.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stanlives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Stanlives,

I have a 2014 SC 7.5 which I upgraded to Di2 with the internal seat post battery. I used the stock alloy seat post but ordered the seat post mounting kit($20). This mount is design to clamp around the battery then screw into bosses on the seat post (carbon post only) but I found you could actually get the mount to fit inside the alloy post press fit style ( you may have to shave the plastic mount slightly). I have completed hundred of kms including 2x 1/2 IM & an IM and travelled with my bike without any issues. Just allow enough Di2 cable for the battery to exit the frame fully for installation and removal of the seat post.

Cheers

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [lazlo51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear all,

Finally my new SC9 P1 arrived....
Sorry for the pic....however LBS send me the wrong L-Bend so I need extra time to wait AGAIN for my S-Bend extension to build...

Best regards
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [pkent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Argh Trek,

I am the original owner of a 2011 SC 9.9 Dura Ace 7970 Di2. Since I purchased I have had continued and never ending problems with it. The list is long but the one item that has never been rectified even slightly is the constant drivetrain vibration when riding in the smallest 3-4 cogs. The vibration is in the rear of the bike and is visible on the chain. It's been checked by numerous qualified mechanics all of whom recognize the vibration is far from normal.

Things done to rectify at recommendation of bike (all at my cost):
-replaced the crankset. Now have Rotor quarq w/round rings.
-replaced chain (many times)
-replaced cassettes (many times). Even ran a 12,12,13,14 on bottom 4 as mechanic thought the 11 may be the problem.
-replaced derailleur hanger (twice)
-replaced the bottom bracket (twice)
-wheels---oh I've had 5 different sets on the bike, no change.
-replaced the rear derailleur - that wasn't cheap.

I've now replaced everything that could possible cause the problem but the frame itself. With that, my dealer sent my bike to Trek 6 weeks ago for warranty service (I've been without since October 20th all told).

In those 6 weeks Trek has failed to provide ANY update on my bike. 6 weeks and nothing! So much for that super-duper 9 Series warranty. I love the design of the Trek SC and love the 2014 9 series but would be hard pressed to consider another Trek purchase after this experience.

Be warned.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hello

I have receive my race wheelset this week so I can post a picture of my bike finish ^_^

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JParkerS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi JParkerS,

I work for Cervelo. I normally don't "butt in" on other brands' threads. So please forgive me this time.

I sympathize with any issue that seems unfixable. I know how frustrating it can be!

However, over the decades I've spent deeply involved with bikes, I've noticed some drive trains are smoother and some have more vibration. In my experience, if everythin checks out on the basics (simple adjustment, no obviously broken parts, etc.), the vibrating typically declines with use. Probably some of the moving parts burnish and wearing-in, but that's just a guess. Regardless, it always seems to get better with time on the road.

On the one hand, your replacing the moving parts with new ones makes sense from one point of view: if things are defective. But from another point of view, it doesn't: if things need to wear in.

Rarely does the frame have anything to do with drivetrain vibration. I think you'd agree, since it is the last component you're having examined.

Bottom line, I think it would be interesting to simply keep riding. Especially because it's been checked out so thoroughly. Certainly there's nothing serious wrong or the mechanics would have found it.

The weird part is the psychological part. Now that you've noticed the vibration, it may be hard to stop noticing it. Such that even normal vibration may haunt you. After all, no moving machine is perfectly smooth.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [timtri13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice. Although the fuel cell begs the question, how much non-hydration storage does a person really need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tim, Bike looks just amazing. Thank you for allowing my carbon cable cover to grace this great looking machine. I bet it feels really good to have everyone finished. Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi glen

how are you ? thanks for your reply ;-)

I never come back to you but see what I have doing with your prototype ;-)

when I receive it

and after I have work on it ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks great, I knew with all your talent ;o), you would have no problem making my test bottle fill the gap in the bottom bracket area. Looks really great. I wish the downtube angle on the SC's were the same for all the frame sizes, so I could make a one size fit all, but you have been able to make the bottle I designed for the small frame work on your size, and that is great. You do great work for sure :o), Thanks for sharing, Glen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

I was hoping you could give me a little info about the brake/shifter cables on the SC's. Im looking to install a dark speed works bento behind the stem of my 2.5 and want to it to fit nice and snug. I am going to run the brake/shifter cables through the bento and am wondering how to disconect the cables so that i can run them through a hole in the bottom of the bento. I am somewhat of a rookie dealing with cables as ive never touched th since buuing my SC in 2011. Any help would be great,thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [kawessel2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to routing through the DSW bento you might be better off asking someone who has done what you're describing...pretty sure I've seen it once or twice here on the forum.

On the SC side of things, disconnecting and reconnecting cables isn't all that hard. The basics of where and how you can pick up from reading the applicable sections of the SC service manual. While that manual is based on the 9-series bike, the principles are the same on the 2-series. In the end, simply disconnecting the cables and pulling the housing in order to reroute it through the DSW bag should give you a pretty good idea how it's going to go back together after you put the bag in the sequence.

The 2-series is a pretty conventional bike where routing is concerned...no proprietary brake connections or brake covers, full housing runs from brake and shift levers to their end points at the brakes and derailleurs. If it still seems a little daunting, I'm sure your LBS would be able to do it for you.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a lot of parts changes. Assuming it's still here, I would need to know the claim number so I know where to look or who to ask about it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Xing triathlete [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I tracked it down. Not sure where 6 weeks came from...it shipped 06DEC and arrived here 10DEC. It's in the warranty shop right now and after unpacking & building it back up nothing jumped out as an obvious cause. Were it not for the intermittent dustings of snow we've had over the past few days, it probably would've been out on a testride already. Whatever we determine, we'll flow that back down through the shop as part of the regular claim process.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick note to comment about my recent experience with Trek and LBS.
Kamikaze dog took me off my '13 7.5SC just over a month ago. I bought it as a reward after finishing my first 140.6 on my 1980's Torpado. Was pretty excited to ride something that didn't need 15 minutes of maintenance checks before each ride.
7 weeks into owning it, I had my crash. I was riding alone so not sure how long I was unconscious and no idea how bad the crash was. Helmet was crushed and bike had obviously bounced hard. I got an ambulance ride to the ER and bike to the LBS for eval.
While I'm still dealing with recovering from my injuries, LBS has been talking with Trek about options. Several things damaged to the bike and some obvious hard hit marks to the frame.
I had the Trek Care coverage. At ~$360, I thought it was a fantastic deal.
Well Trek is sending a replacement frame to LBS to swap. Amazingly, only '14 model frames are available so they are also sending additional parts due to compatibility issues because of the changes from '13 to '14 frames.
Thanks Trek! That's a pretty stand-up thing to do. It's nice to not worry about the bike and focus on getting better.
LBS is Bike Line in Carmel. Fantastic partner to work with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Flyingshim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...so glad to hear you're on the mend. Look forward to your comeback race report!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Gulf colors!
Nice job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Carl,

I have a question, reagrding the aerobar, is it possible to cut this small bend from the aerobar where the Brakes are located?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jose1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jose

That upturned portion of the basebar on the 2010-2013 SC is the only section with a machined interior - to mount the brake levers. If you cut it off, in addition to voiding the warranty, you won't be able to install your brake levers again without opening up and smoothing out that as-molded surface...something which wasn't accounted for in the design or testing of the bar.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next