Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Just got an email form Trisports.com stating my order has shipped and should be here on the 18th. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Same here.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do... and I should have a Specialized Fuel Cell next week as well. :)
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New review: http://lavamagazine.com/...ally-debuts-torpedo/

Quote:
Xlab provided LAVA with drag testing data conducted in July with Ero at the Olympic velodrome in Carson, Calif. with pro triathlete Luke McKenzie as the guinea pig. Testing was conducted on a Scott Plasma with Zipp 808 Firecrest front and rear, the Xlab Torpedo mount and an Xlab Aero TT bottle on the downtube, as well as nutrition in McKenzie’s singlet pockets for true effect.
The results came up with the Torpedo providing nearly five minutes of advantage over a 112-mile Ironman-distance bike at 300 watts (that time advantage rose to 5.2 minutes at 250 watts, and 5.6 minutes at 200 watts) using the Torpedo, versus 4.2 minutes at 300 watts, 4.5 minutes at 250 watts and 4.8 minutes at 200 watts using a position-optimized behind-the-saddle setup.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we're talking 48sec over 112 miles compared to a "position-optimized behind-the-saddle setup". In reality it could be significanly more depending on how they did the testing. Part of the advantage of this set-up is not having to break your aero position to reach for your bottle - behind the seat, on the frame, or even standard battle BTA. So unless they did an extended test that integrated the effect of accessing that bottle behind the saddle versus simply drinking from the straw I'd say that 48sec is an underestimate. Good thing because 48sec over 112 miles doesn't have me excited to throw $$$ around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so i finally got my torpedo. problem is my aero bars are to far apart. are there longer straps? I am racing Augusta next weekend and want to use the bottle. any help?
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [parkspop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How far apart are your bars?

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess you could try zip ties if you're desperate.

Good luck... see ya in Augusta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I can't measure them right now as I am not home and won't be for a couple days.

But when I had one side hooked up the other side was probably 2-3 inches short of hooking on.

I know it is not the most aero but it is what works.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get velcro straps at Home Depot or Lowes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you can try and measure when you get back I can see if the bars are too far apart for the straps. In the meantime I will see about perhaps getting some new straps in for wider bars.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art's still the best bet? On the hunt for a 400 now...
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [JWU42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my 400 this weekend and have some questions for those of you who have them mounted already (and Candice).
First, the instruction mention using the "included plug" to block the non-used straw hole. I had no "included plug" in my package. Is this an oversight, a mistake? Am I missing something.
Second, if you use the dolphin tail to hold the straw down is it intended to "crimp" the straw. Due to the material the straw is made from it is forced to not just bend but fold over. I've got to imagine that will damage the straw eventually.
Third, it was quite hard to get the straw into the hole, I assume this is to make it stay in place easier, with that being said, how deeply should the straw go? where should the bottom be located? Directly under the hole? My bars have a slight...very slight angle so I'd imagine I'll have a hard time getting to all of the liquid.
Fourth, what's the deal wit the computer mount. There is no way I can get it to work. I've put it as far forward as possible the bottle still hits it.

I've got some photos of this, perhaps I should just send to Candice? I'm racing Sunday, I'd love to get this figured out!

Thanks,

AK
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [sak35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sak35 wrote:
I got my 400 this weekend and have some questions for those of you who have them mounted already (and Candice).
First, the instruction mention using the "included plug" to block the non-used straw hole. I had no "included plug" in my package. Is this an oversight, a mistake? Am I missing something.
Its a very small clear plastic plug. I think it came in one of the bags. It is easy to miss.

sak35 wrote:
Second, if you use the dolphin tail to hold the straw down is it intended to "crimp" the straw. Due to the material the straw is made from it is forced to not just bend but fold over. I've got to imagine that will damage the straw eventually.
Mine crimped initially as well, but when I put the straw in a second time (after I trimmed the length a little) I put it in at a slight angle towards the front of the bottle. Now I can fold it into the dolphin tail w/o crimping. (on a side note, I added a couple of washers underneath the dolphin tail to raise it up a little because I had a hard time getting the straw underneath it).

sak35 wrote:
Third, it was quite hard to get the straw into the hole, I assume this is to make it stay in place easier, with that being said, how deeply should the straw go? where should the bottom be located? Directly under the hole?
It is quite difficult to get the straw in the hole, hopefully that will prevent leaks. I pushed the straw down until just before it hits the bottom. I'll have to do some more testing, but I may also need to slightly angle the bottle forward to get most the liquid out.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [JWU42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any of the dealers on our webpage are your best bets. Inside Out Sports, Trisports, Nytro and Enduro Sport. I do not know their stock levels or the numbers of back orders they have unfortunately, but we do keep these stores stocked as often as possible. Art's Cyclery were just sent some more systems I believe last week so I would check and see if they have any available or if those we sent are for orders they already have.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [sak35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems Rick answered most of your questions. The plug should be in one of the bags in the box. More specifically the one that had the Dolphin tail and refillable cap in it. They are clear circular looking. If you can't find them email me, candice@xlab-usa.com.

You can bend the straw in a way that it doesn't crimp the straw. If left tucked while storing the bottle, the straw will eventually have a permanent kink which is why we say leave it untucked while storing.

The straw does fit snug into the hole to prevent leakage. There is no requirement for how deep the straw should go. It is completely personal preference. If you have a slight angle on the bars and want to make sure you get every last drop then I would mount it towards the angle.

As far as the computer mount - which computer are you trying to use? There are some computers that won't work due to clearance.

I think I covered everything but let me know if I missed something :)

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Holly1215] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having the same problem. I have Torpedo 400 and i get splashed in my face all the time from the straw. When my bike is racked, the liquid in the bottle leaks out from the big cap. I am using the cap that is completely sealed (not the refill one). I am disappointed in the product. I need to wash my bike after each ride because of how sticky it is from spalshing.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Ewelina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewelina wrote:
I am using the cap that is completely sealed (not the refill one).

That cap does have a small hole or two in it. I assume it is to let air in while you are drinking. I filled my bottle completely up this morning and accidentily pushed down on that cap and water squirted up out of the hole.

On a side note, I did not really notice any liquid coming out while I was riding. It seems like I had more leakage on my Speedfil A2 bottle, but more test time will tell.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ewelina wrote:
I am having the same problem. I have Torpedo 400 and i get splashed in my face all the time from the straw. When my bike is racked, the liquid in the bottle leaks out from the big cap. I am using the cap that is completely sealed (not the refill one). I am disappointed in the product. I need to wash my bike after each ride because of how sticky it is from spalshing.

I'm in agreement with this. I was disappointed with how much the product leaks. Leaks around the cap. Leaks around the base of the straw. You have to be careful to not fill the bottle up too much or else you will have it spilling out.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just tried the torpedo on a long ride this week-end. i purchased just the bottle as i had a bta cage. overall, i really liked the torpedo. it leaked far less then the speedfill. i think the position of the straw on top versus the front of the bottle with a gasket is a better design. it is hard to get the straw tucked under the clamp but it stays in place. i have found it is easier to pull the straw under the clamp than to push it. so if i am tucking it with my right hand i use the left side of the clamp and pull the straw underneath it.

regarding leaking from the top i used the clear top and as long as i did not completely fill the bottle it did not seem to leek. it did leak a little while refilling it on a bumpy road but i liked the solid cap option versus slotted one. it is nice that they provide both with the bottle.

i cannot seem to figure out how to clamp the straw without crimping it, but keeping stored free she keep the straw for a wile. If when it does crack you can get replacement strawing or hosing from lowes.

best,
GS
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it for the first time in a sprint race. I should have practiced with it first (yeah, I know I broke a golden rule). Anyway, I must have inserted it to the point the straw was flush on the bottom of the bottle because I could not really get much out of it. My fault.
It was pouring rain so I did not notice any leaking.

The computer mount for the Garmin 510 does not work well for me. For one thing, the mount seems like a universal mount and it does not seem to fit the garmin twist mount well. The garmin mount kind hangs off the outside edges of the XLab computer mount. You have to hold the garmin mount while twisting the 510 on and off. The 510 is forced to sit completely flat, facing the sky.
I get a reflection of the sky and can not read the screen.
Next:
I moved the Mini Mount way back. The rear Velcro straps are on MY side of the arm rests. This puts the screen back closer to me and I think I will be able to see the screen better this way. I have not ridden with it like this.

The computer mount also has a small lip that does not let it sit flush with the Mini Mount plate. It comes with square flat washer to help with thing but it is not thick enough. I think my dremel tool with fix it.

anyone know where can you buy the plastic the computer mount is made of? I think I am going to try to make one myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting to get the new straw and the plugs for the straw holes. Think the bottle is a nice idea, but it looks like they released it before it was completely tested. My season is over now, but I have an expensive bottle that I can't even use. And, I guess it's too late to return it.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Holly1215] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My season is not over. I had splashing issues with Torhans aero bottle and now this. Very disappointed. What a waste of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A colleague of mine has a bottle made by elite. It's got a sponge in there that stops spraying. Might be better. I wear glasses, made riding with them sprayed with cytomax difficult. Hopefully, xlab will fix the problems
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes. I just ordered the bottle as a "refill kit". I already race with a standard BTA bottle but I like the idea of being able to easily refill this while on the go. Races never use actual bike bottles so they never fit snug in a cage when I grab one from an aid station. I also like the idea of not having to remove the bottle to drink. There is the potential for some actual drag advantage by eliminating that action 30+ times during a race. Leaking is going to mostly be a deal breaker though. Is it the seal of the lid to the bottle that leaks or out the top of the lid? With the straw we can probably figure out some sort of grommet to make a better fit...might need to experiment with different tubes for the straw though and maybe even modify the opening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This was my set up for Ironman Lake Tahoe last weekend. My bars are pretty wide and I wanted the Torpedo bottle mounted a little bit higher so I zip-tied a wide Profile Design mount to the bars and was able to mount the Torpedo directly to this mount with nuts and bolts... Very solid. No spilling. Felt very aero.... Only thing I might change is add a wider flow bite-valve.... Worked great!

http://www.triandcatchme.com
https://twitter.com/kevintaddonio
Quote Reply

Prev Next