Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [subydude88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are loving your Torpedo System 400! Not great to hear about the bite valve though. Do you clamp down on it with your teeth? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Candice:

I used the Xlab 400 during IM CA 70.3 this past weekend. I'm afraid the bite valve is now leaking. Is it possible to get a replacement bite valve? Thanks.

Rick
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [keeeeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Rick,

Could you shoot me a picture of it? Could be a couple things. You can email the picture to candice@xlab-usa.com

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Mojoboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mojoboy wrote:
Hi candice! Just got my xlab torpedo 400 installed on my 2013 shiv! Wow the kit looks awesome! Im so excited to try it!!! Btw im from the philippines got it via your local distributor here in our country! Just have some question what if im doin training an not planning on using the torpedo bottle what other bottles fit the cage? Its seesm kinda small and wont fit my camel back podium chill bottle. Thanks!
In Reply To:
Can you post models of it on your Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [BambooKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got one and I think this is currently the best system. Having the computer up front is mandatory for much easier/safer reading in my opinion and XLab got this right.
I have one minor complaint though.
The installation instructions get into a lengthy discussion of how to adjust fore/aft and up/down position to perfectly hide the bottle within your arms. However, with a computer mounted, you completely lose the fore/aft adjustment. The bottle has to be mounted all the way to the back of the bracket for the computer mount to fit. This is independent of which computer you mount. I have a newer Joule GPS which fits well.
The problem could be solved by making the mounting bracket a little bit longer.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainfranz wrote:
Just got one and I think this is currently the best system. Having the computer up front is mandatory for much easier/safer reading in my opinion and XLab got this right.
I have one minor complaint though.
The installation instructions get into a lengthy discussion of how to adjust fore/aft and up/down position to perfectly hide the bottle within your arms. However, with a computer mounted, you completely lose the fore/aft adjustment. The bottle has to be mounted all the way to the back of the bracket for the computer mount to fit. This is independent of which computer you mount. I have a newer Joule GPS which fits well.
The problem could be solved by making the mounting bracket a little bit longer.
Did you get the 100 or 400 and why did you pick that one?

Trying to decide between the two and looking for any input
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issue is that the straw cant slide under the dolphin tail because the xlab bottle cage gets in the way. Is there a way to raise the height of the dolphin tail?
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
My issue is that the straw cant slide under the dolphin tail because the xlab bottle cage gets in the way. Is there a way to raise the height of the dolphin tail?
Did you get the 100?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Did you get the 100?

I got the 100, but they are both the same just one is lighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
loutriguy wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Did you get the 100?

I believe the design of the cage is different on the 400 which allows the straw to fit better, I think.

FYI Trisports is having a 20% off sale, I just ordered the 400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
loutriguy wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Did you get the 100?

I believe the design of the cage is different on the 400 which allows the straw to fit better, I think.

FYI Trisports is having a 20% off sale, I just ordered the 400.

I'm looking at the bottle cage and I just don't see anyway for straw to fit under the dolphin tail because the bottle cage gets in the way....ugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

Which cage are you talking about?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Which cage are you talking about?

The one that came with the system, xlab one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I use the Torpedo carbon cage, but looking at their site, your nylon cage doesn't look like this?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the 100, but the bottle kept catapulting out of the plastic cage, so I now replaced it with carbon gorilla and removed the useless dolphin tail - the straw is fine upright as well.

question: the screws holding the cage are totally prone to corrosion from sweat - are there any non-corrosive screws out there?

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Hmm, I use the Torpedo carbon cage, but looking at their site, your nylon cage doesn't look like this?

Exactly! perfect picture. You can see how the cage interferes with the dolphin tail.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem. I put some washers underneath the dovetail to raise it so the straw could go under it.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. As you mentioned it is independent of which computer is mounted. We did a poll on the computer sizes out there and which ones were popular. We then saw we needed to have it work with the smallest of computers (Cateyes) up to the larger Garmin sizes so we decided to make the instructions generic to be more inclusive.

Glad to hear you are liking the system!

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 100 system comes with the Vee Cage, which is a nylon composite cage. The arms are slightly thicker vs the Carbon Torpedo on the 400. We have heard that it is slightly more difficult to tuck the straw, but with some practice they were able to do it. Others have attached magnets/velcro on the bottle to make it easier...that may work for you

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [dindu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi dindu,

I responded to another customer about ways to work with the plastic cage and the dolphin tail.

Re the screws, have you actually seen these corrode? That would surprise me as I haven't heard any reports of this. We are very picky on which hardware we include in our systems. The ones in Torpedo Systems are zinc plated, ideal for corrosion prevention.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpinist909 wrote:
I found an easy fix for the computer mount and the garmin 510. Since the X lab mount has a smaller diameter and width than the Garmin twist mount, the 510 would keep rotating forward with road vibration.
There is a rubber tape in the electrical section of the hardware store. I wrapped the X Lab computer mount to make it bigger.
The tape, when stretched, turns grey. This causes it to heat up and vulcanize (bond) to the previous layer.
After 10 or so laps of tape, going around the mount, the garmin twist mount fit well.
One 20 mile test ride and the 510 never moved.

Has anybody else tried this? I'm amazed that there are only ~4 complaints about the width and stability of the computer mount. It reallly seems like the mount should be at least as wide as a Garmin mount and have a bit more grip to it. Making it slightly longer would hopefully help with the (inevitable) instance of the bottle bumping the computer. I'm basically holding my 510 in place with my thumbs because it seems to want to move off either side of that narrow mount or flop forward.

On a positive note, this certainly is not my first aerobar hydration system, but so far it's my favorite. The only leaking I have encountered is from the straw/bite valve which already beats most systems out there. When I'm not racing, it's nice to be able to use a standard bottle.

Blowing back into the straw after drinking has certainly helped keep gobs of sports drink from ending up on the frame. Lots of great tips on this thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just looked at trisport did not see that 20% on the torpedo.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eventhough the mount is smaller, if you use the little piece of rubber that comes with garmin mounting kit and then use the smaller rubber rings (this is key), the mount does not move at all in my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
just looked at trisport did not see that 20% on the torpedo.
Sale ended Monday night, it was a memorial day sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks EW.

I'm using the rubber mount too. Maybe the 510 is just a little too big for what that mount was designed for. I'm going to throw some tape on there this weekend and try it out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next