Quote | Reply
Hi johnny,
4-5 Nm
Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first reasonably long ride the other day and decided by the end of the day that the Adamo saddle that came with the bike wasn't good for me (too wide, by a long shot). I was chafing like crazy on the inside of my thighs due to the width, and I was constantly shifting my ass to find comfort and less chafing by the end of the ride.

The one saddle I really liked on my S2 was a Specialized with FACT carbon rails, so I decided to mount it up in the Adamo's place, only to discover that the rails on the saddle do not fit the clamps, since the clamps only accept perfectly round rails. The carbon rails on the Specialized saddle are taller than wide, like an oval.

Can we get rail clamps that will work with this shape of rail, or are we stuck with only round rails?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your saddle is too far forward. it s not too wide. every new rider that make this mistake will say ''it s too wide''. move it back 1-2-3 cm and you will discover why the saddle is #1 saddles in triathlon.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative. The Adamo Prologue supplied with the P5 is too wide (for me) despite riding not far off the rivet, mainly, at my typical race efforts. In fact when I'm really hammering hard in aero, well above FTP, I tend to almost fall off the front due to a strong 5 - 7 o'clock compared to my compressed 11 - 1 o'clock. I've gone through a reasonable repertoire of modern saddles over the last few years in search of one that plays nice with my twig and berries yet doesn't impede my stroke by way of loss of comfort over the long haul forcing me to eventually splay my legs wide to find relief from chafing. An Adamo Breakaway (slightly narrower than the supplied saddle on the P5) was okay for me, just not awesome for my IM-length efforts. I rode a Cobb V-Flow for half a season; wasn't my cup of tea. I've used a Fizik Arione; too convex at the taint/nose contact point. Adamo might be #1, just not my #1. The Specialized saddles seem to fit my body well however.

Not to drift too far from the intent of my post, the optimum width of the nose of a TT saddle for me is 40 - 45mm, untapered for 5 - 7 cm from the nose aft. The Arione is 40mm with a very long, gradual taper, but the shape is not flat enough for my comfort. The Specialized I use on my S2 is 45mm with almost no taper for a good 5 cm from the nose and is quite flat making it great for extended riding on the drops and with an aero setup. The Adamo Prologue, at its narrowest is 60mm at the rivet, and has an immediate widening (i.e. continually tapers all the way to the nose), making it simply too wide for my body.

Back to the original post. My question to Damon still stands: are rail clamps that will accept Specialized FACT carbon rails, or any other non-round rails, available?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

The P5 seat clamps are Ritchey hardware, so pieces for oval rails are available from your Cervelo retailer (and probably lots of other places too).

Just googled "ritchey oval rail" and one of the first to come up was this one (no affiliation):
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/...-rails-alloy-1-bolt/

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Damon.

Anther thing please - the bike was shipped without a small part:
The small rubber plug / bung that presses into the top tube where the cables enter the top tube just behind the stem.
How would I be able to get hold of this part please? I am in the UK.
Thank you,
John
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [johnny senna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4Nm each bolt
alternate turning each a 1/4 turn per time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Damon! This is exactly what I need!! I'm ashamed to say that now you mention it is standard Ritchey h/w, I remember reading that somewhere deep in this thread. I'm sorry to have made you repeat yourself.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi John,

Sounds like you're talking about the plastic cable keeper that fits in the top tube cable bucket. It's purely cosmetic and isn't needed functionally, so please feel free to keep riding without it. In fact, you must not use it with the Aduro bar, as the cables must be free to flex the full width of the cable bucket in the frame for steering. If you're not using your Aduro bar, then you can fit a cable keeper.

Since the P5-Six comes with the Aduro bar, it doesn't come with the cable keeper and doesn't need one.

Since the P5-Three doesn't come with the Aduro bar, it should come with the cable keeper, though it's not functionally needed. If you bought a P5-Three and didn't get a cable keeper, please contact your Cervelo retailer to get one. Once you have it, it's a 30 second installation job. We designed it so you don't have to remove cables to install it.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i understand the too wide saddle comment, heck, even the stock saddle clamp hits the back of my legs while pedalling(it is wider than my saddle). i am talking about the saddle clamp, and am afraid it will cause teh premature death of my cycling shorts. not everyone has small legs.

to Damon: any thought on any other clamp style to narrow this width?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Damon, it's reassuring I don't need one so I might not fit one. I'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddles are like women some like them short and fat - some like them long and skinny. Tri2 for me. What's next - Opinions on the best flavored sports drink? Please....
Last edited by: oschweidler: May 19, 13 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I think that's as narrow a clamp that will still fit standard saddle rails. At least it's rounded, not sharp! :-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5nm

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [oschweidler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oschweidler wrote:
Saddles are like women some like them short and fat - some like them long and skinny. Tri2 for me. What's next - Opinions on the best flavored sports drink? Please....

My saddle opinion was a rebuttal about being informed I should like the saddle supplied as everyone else likes it, apparently, and if I didn't like it it was because I was riding it wrong. I would much rather have kept details about my taint to myself, however.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most saddle clamp i have had go just around the rails. this has teh large bulbous protrusion beyond, but yes, it is smooth, so likely will not wear lyrca to quickly. i always have to remove the velcro strap from saddle bags that goes around seatpost,as this is where i learned about getting holes worn into shorts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
Negative. The Adamo Prologue supplied with the P5 is too wide (for me) despite riding not far off the rivet, mainly, at my typical race efforts. In fact when I'm really hammering hard in aero, well above FTP, I tend to almost fall off the front due to a strong 5 - 7 o'clock compared to my compressed 11 - 1 o'clock. I've gone through a reasonable repertoire of modern saddles over the last few years in search of one that plays nice with my twig and berries yet doesn't impede my stroke by way of loss of comfort over the long haul forcing me to eventually splay my legs wide to find relief from chafing. An Adamo Breakaway (slightly narrower than the supplied saddle on the P5) was okay for me, just not awesome for my IM-length efforts. I rode a Cobb V-Flow for half a season; wasn't my cup of tea. I've used a Fizik Arione; too convex at the taint/nose contact point. Adamo might be #1, just not my #1. The Specialized saddles seem to fit my body well however.

Not to drift too far from the intent of my post, the optimum width of the nose of a TT saddle for me is 40 - 45mm, untapered for 5 - 7 cm from the nose aft. The Arione is 40mm with a very long, gradual taper, but the shape is not flat enough for my comfort. The Specialized I use on my S2 is 45mm with almost no taper for a good 5 cm from the nose and is quite flat making it great for extended riding on the drops and with an aero setup. The Adamo Prologue, at its narrowest is 60mm at the rivet, and has an immediate widening (i.e. continually tapers all the way to the nose), making it simply too wide for my body.

Back to the original post. My question to Damon still stands: are rail clamps that will accept Specialized FACT carbon rails, or any other non-round rails, available?

Dave

I'm also not a huge fan of the saddle (came on my P5 as well) - same issue with nose width, but I've gotten used to it and now I like it.

I did do the nose narrowing trick you might want to try: Drill holes on the INSIDE of the front nose pieces and put a strong black ziptie there and cinch it down. Narrows the nose down a bit and helps some. Basically with this, I find this saddle great when riding in the TT position, but not for general riding when sitting upright - still too wide for me, but I rarely ride the TT bike except for races.

Quote | Reply
Need Help! I just received a P5-6 as a gift. Size 58 with the aduro bars. Yes, super stoked. Only issue is that I am 6'3". Base bar is 38cm. I need at least 42cm and would like 44 cm. does Aduro bar come in a wider size and if not, what other bar could I use?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [SoCalKQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why on earth would you want it wider? it is not meant to be the focal riding point and the bike is about being fast. if you want it to be slower, just buy a different set of bars that you think you need.

in all seriousness, i love my 44 road bars, but would not want 44 for my tt bike. i always found it absurd that many bars don't come any smaller than 42
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With you guys on the Adamo saddle that came with the bike. I wanted to blow up my old bike and try everything new when I got the P5-6 so I went with what came with it. Anything over 20-25 miles that saddle wore me out. I tired different positions and tried the wire tie trick to bring the nose piece together but nothing worked. After 2-3 months I finally threw in the towel and went back to a Cobb Vmax. Put it on a Friday night and rode 100 miles the next day and no issues. So lesson learned I guess... Was able to sell the seat for $100 so that helped out!!!

ps... Cervelo & ATC Guys - The bike rode great at IMTX Saturday.

Shawn
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [SoCalKQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my concern when I first built the P5.
I am used to a 42 width.
In my opinion, its alright at 38.
Very stable at high speed descents & not wobbly at all.
Also ok when I stand to climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a little issue with the rear brake cover. The rear brake was sticking just a bit. We removed the cover and saw the caliper was just barely grazing the cover causing the sticking issue. we put it 1.5mm spacers to temporarily solve the issue. Everything seams to be set up exactly to spec. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? many thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi David,

The brake is a tight fit inside the cover. Your spacers are a good idea, or also check the washer between the brake and frame. Washer thickness can vary, so you may have an opportunity to select a slightly thinner one. Another option is to lightly grind away part of the cover's thickness where the brake comes close. Last, it's non-structural, so you could leave the cover off. Our latest wind tunnel testing suggests the P5 may be slightly faster without the cover. Counterintuitive perhaps, but just goes to show, as is often the case with brakes, hidden from the eye doesn't necessarily mean hidden from the wind.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [leahnp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my UK P5-6 in all its glory. Its a 54cm with DA Di2 7090 and Zipp Super9 and 808. Also waiting for a P2M powermeter but that didn't arrive in time for Ironman Mallorca 70.3.

[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [BuenosNachos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did someone come up to you in transition and say "well that's the most expensive bike here"?
Quote Reply

Prev Next