Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonboy wrote:
Thanks for info
BTW are you running the 52/36 set up or a 53/39?
If your running a 52/36 how do you find that set up
Jono

53/39

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DougWelsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to remove the concave washers to fit a Super-9 cc. Kind of a pain but I don't think many brake calipers open wide enough for that size of wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understood that we can remove those washers, but of course that introduces the problem of getting the brake pads properly positioned on the wheel. What was your experience with this?

I haven't taken the brakes apart yet, but I also wonder if the concave washers are thick enough that I could shave a 1/2 mm off of the non-concave portion?

Probably just a lot easier to file something off of the pads. I already had to do this on my previous P4 with these wheels - they barely fit in the frame, let alone in the P4 specific brake. Taking 1/2 to 1 mm off of the pads is an easy solution.

I guess my question is whether or not there is something wrong with the adjustment and/or bleed on the brakes, that is causing them to be tight(ish). You are saying that it is to be expected with this wide of a wheel. I guess that's right...

Thanks - any other thoughts anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DougWelsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the concave spaces out and play with it from there. I have a 404/808 Firecrest clincher combo and I have no spacers up front and a tiny shim in the back. It aligns quite nicely and the brakes feel awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My p5 just arrived today and building it tonight!!!!!

The frameset P5-3 came with a TRP mechanical brake? i though they came with hydrolic brake? anyone can give me a clue how to install this? is there pictures anywhere of a properly set up rear brake?

the mounting bolt seems insanely short, it s impossible to mount it to the chainstay and it seems like the hardware isn't on the right side to make it work. I m really confuse as to how i m suppose to set this up.

anyone? i guess i m gonna be riding on a front brake only for tomorrow and the weekend but if anyone can share some knowledge, i want to learn!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
My p5 just arrived today and building it tonight!!!!!

The frameset P5-3 came with a TRP mechanical brake? i though they came with hydrolic brake? anyone can give me a clue how to install this? is there pictures anywhere of a properly set up rear brake?

the mounting bolt seems insanely short, it s impossible to mount it to the chainstay and it seems like the hardware isn't on the right side to make it work. I m really confuse as to how i m suppose to set this up.

anyone? i guess i m gonna be riding on a front brake only for tomorrow and the weekend but if anyone can share some knowledge, i want to learn!!!

David Byer told me (in a PM, IIRC) that they got a batch of 'wrong' TRP brakes with the problems you described. It was just around the time (perhaps the reason?) that they changed the P5-Three framesets to also include the Magura brakes. Sounds like you've been unlucky and got a frame 'caught in the crossfire'...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the explanation. The frameset look amazing and they did do a very good at the cable routing. super easy with dura ace 7800....yeah old school!

i was just scratching my head last night as to how i was suppose to fit this in the chainstays... happy to see i wasn't crazy! Time to find a solution!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi David.
I have just taken delivery of a P5-3 and the bike shop are building it now. I have the Magura brakes. But the rear Magura brake does not fit in the recess in the chain stays. It is simply too big. Using spacers to hold the rear brake outside of the recess might work, but it would look bad. I thought the P5 and Magura brakes had been designed to work and fit together? Perhaps I am missing something here. Is there a smaller Magura brake for the rear I wonder? If not, how is it fitted please?
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [johnny senna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please shoot me an email and we can get you the right stuff? It will definitely work; just sounds like you may have received something not 100% correct.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,
Thank you for your very prompt reply. I will try to get you pictures e mailed as soon as I can.
Thank you,
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow. really excited. I am going to buy a p5.6 here in the next week or so. I did the on line measurements from the cervelo web site to calculate my current position on my wilier tri crono so that the fit can be the same. I ended up with an arm pad stack of 635 and an arm pad reach of 508.
I am 5'9".
This maps to either the size 54 with the high V bar set up and little spacer or the size 56 with the low bar set up and lots of spacer.

I would think that the 54 would be the better place to start. It will have to be ordered so I cant try them both without hassling my dealer.
Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jimmy3993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" - P5 is 54, high V, no spacers. Fits like a dream! FYI the 56 would have had to long of reach for me.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much lower you think you might want to go. You are more in the 'middle' of the reach ranges on the 56 than the 54. So, if it were me, I might go with the 56. That way, you have a taller steer column on your fork. If you go to the 54, cut the fork for small spacer, that's essentially as low as you can go because of the fork. If you wanted to go lower than using the HighV mount on the 54, you'd be out of luck with the fork since you would need so many spacers and you would be on the long end of the reach for the 54. I say 56cm with spacers.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are confident about the reach number, the 56 might allow more flexibility on changes in your position and getting lower over time. My stack was 620 with reach 477 (6'1"). Obviously differently proportioned than you. But I was stuck between 54 with a bunch of spacers but at the middle of the reach fit band vs 56 which I would have struggled to make "short" enough. So ended up going with the 54 since I knew the reach was right.

Now when we went to set up the bike, to keep my usual 15 cm of handlebar drop, it was going to require several spacers, and it's not the best look aesthetically. So we went with a couple of spacers and 17+ cm of drop. Has been an easy transition.

Point is you can and should work on reducing your stack number. Your reach however isn't as fluid without changing where you sit fore/aft.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that someone with a P5 with Magura brakes might be kind enough to take a photograph of the rear brake installed on the bike please.

I am in the process of try to get David Byer a photo of my bike's rear brake issue, but I was hoping that someone could show me what the rear brake installation should look like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Download the installation manual for the P5 - shows Di2 routing, Magura brake installation, etc., and it has plenty of photos - http://www.cervelo.com/...b-c6c28594836d-0.pdf

Hope this helps. /dougie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The brake goes under the BB and the recess is for the nut that tightens the brake to the frame. You 'might' need an additional washer on the brake side of the frame to add a bit more space to keep the pads from rubbing the frame, but there should be plenty of room under the bottom bracket for the brake caliper. It is a tight fit getting the allen wrench in to tighten the brake though, or at least takes quite a few 1/4 turns to get it tight.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Doug and Brandon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think a 54 would give you a lot more flexibility. If you can meet your reach numbers on a 54 then you have more room to increase drop on a 54 in the future. I started on a 58 P2 then purchased a 56 P2 then 56 P4 and very glad I went with the 54 with the P5. With the three bars you have a lot of flexibility with the same fork length. Plus you can use risers. But with risers you do have to be careful because the riser do not raise aero bars but only cups. If you use Ski you can probably raise 20mm without an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he uses the HighV on the 54, he won't have very many spacers under the stem, so he'll be limited by being able to stack spacers under the stem. If he goes the spacer route on the 56, then he's got like 5 more cm drop that he can use. You are mostly limited by cutting the fork, so I'd pick the option that lets you cut the fork the highest and gets you in the middle of the reach column. That way you can go lower.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrote a check for a p5 6 with a DI2 build today. Will the break lever shifters work? Now that I think about it, I have only seen the maguro shysters on the p5's. Will I be able to shift from the base bars?
thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it depends. Amy and I are riding Dura Ace Di2 electronic from early 2012. You can have a shop install remote buttons by 'hacking' the wires and using Cateye buttons. It has been posted about here and other places on the net.

If you have the new 2013 Dura Ace Di2...then I was actually in the shop today and they said it wasn't quite as easy to get remote shifting on the base bars.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

I'm looking at getting the P5-Six after I've been really happy with my S2 (my first "proper" road bike) for a bit over a year. This issue about the hanger worries me! I've had to replace the aluminium hanger TWICE on my S2 - once when another cyclist (my darling girlfriend, in fact) ran into the back of me (presumably her front wheel went between my frame and derailleur), and once when crashing ?horizontally into a chain-link fence (it all happened very fast). What would happen in these two instances with the P5 integrated hanger? Would I have broken the frame? The derailleur? Both? Thanks a lot.

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandon-
I actually went with ultegra di2. My local shop told me that all I would be giving up vs dura ace was some weight and 10apd vs 11 and that an ultegra 11spd upgrade would be coming later this year or early next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does the p5 six di2 comes with rotor q rings?
Quote Reply

Prev Next