Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by mauricemaher [ In reply to ]
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Maurice,

Your list of concerns is very clear, thanks.

Rear wheel & brake:
Your brakes had too much fluid. It sounds as if the brakes can open mechanically (with less oil) wide enough to fit your rim, so simply bleed them in that position. It's not necessary to bleed with the quick release open, as the quick release function isn't needed with wide rims anyway. This is a correct way to bleed brakes, so they use the full range of motion.

It's not normal for the rear wheel to be off centre. Check that the wheel is perfectly symmetrical first. If it is, then the drop outs may not be symmetrical. Normally the drop outs are filed at the factory until they're symmetrical. If your frame needs a little more filing we can do it, or you or your Cervelo retailer can. Keep in mind you only need to file about 1/8 to 1/4 of the amount by which the rim is off centre.

Cut out:
Correct, it's normal to have some gap. With the P5's new seat tube aero surfaces, drag is unchanged up to 6 mm. More than 6 mm and the drag increases slightly.

Aduro bars:
I'm not familiar with the issues you mention. The previous poster seems to have solved them, but next week I'll look into any possible official solution as well.

Have a great weekend,

Damon

Thanks Damon,

I was mildly frustrated today as my crank arm came off 30km into our group 45km TT, I was going about 50kph on a downhill and the non drive side arm came off. I had to think fast and swung my leg wide in order for it not to hit the frame. Luckily I didn't go down and the arm didn't touch the frame.

Without elaborating I will say that this WASN'T a Cervelo related issue, and a solution has been found (lock tight, torque wrench and tightening the lock ring on lightning cranks)

In terms of the brakes/rear wheel, I think this is an issue of filing the drop outs and like you said proper filling of the brakes, my bike was the first P5 into the LBS so when they cut the rear line to re-install the brake it may have been over filled, I will pass on the info to my LBS. I think we will also try to file the drop-outs in .5mm increments. As the brake rubs on the drive side I am assuming that we can start by filing .5mm off the non drive side?

I think the combo of the above will fix this, it appears to be more of a side to side issue than a brake issue (plenty of room on the non drive side)

In terms of the cut out, it is about 3-4mm of space, this is more than my old P3 SL or other cervelos. but as you say it is under 6mm so I won't concern myself with it.

In terms of the bar, thanks "campled" for the info, I read that you may need to replace the rear bolts of the low position with shorter ones. Also Damon how hard can I torque the extension nuts? I will try the plumbers nylon tape as well.

Thanks Damon and Campled for your replies,

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Maurice,

Wow, good thinking with the Lightning crank issue! Glad you were able to handle it well. That does sound frustrating!

Understandable with yours being the first P5 in the shop. Bleeding is so easy I over-thought it myself during training at Magura! When I finally understood it, I was embarrassed how complicated I had made it seem in my mind. ;-)

For your wheel alignment, filing seems to be the answer. I don't usually measure, I just file ten strokes then check with the wheel. Repeat as necessary. And yes, file on the side where the rim is too close.

Correct, the tire gap can be up to 6mm, so you're good.

The extension nuts can be made quite tight. We tested but I don't remember the torque at which the nut yields; but remember you have spare nuts. I mean the bar comes with spare nuts. ;-) Anyway who has a torque wrench that would fit a large hex nut like that... Long wrench, pull hard. ;-)

Enjoy,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [140.6shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have successfully installed the x-strike on the back of my delta single bottle holder just as Shawn has. It works very well. I had to get longer screws from ACE hardware to make it work. Didn't have any loosening issues, although I did put a little blue lock-tight on it. \ Shawn, I wonder if you have non-metric screws as the metric size (I think it was 4 or 5mm) fits perfectly with no toggle; I am not sure I really needed the lock-tight, but I figured it won't hurt. I have now ridden a few 50+ miles rides as well as a aquabike with 56mile bike today with no issues what so ever. Very good way to carry the CO2. The CO2's are hidden from the wind by my backside. I rode some fast sections on chip seal at 30mph + and no bottle ejections. So while X-lab hasn't tested these together, they seem to work very well.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [IronDoc947] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I picked up my P5 Three frame yesterday from my LBS as I have decided to build it up myself. I already own an R3 and an S5 both of which I built up myself - the R3 I have recently upgraded to Ultegra Di2 and the new seatpost battery so I am reasonably confident of my DIY skills.

I started the P5 build today and have hit two snags for which I cannot find answers in the manuals or one line anywhere.

The first relates to the TRP (not Magura) rear brake I have been supplied. It looks like there should be a spacer between the brake and the frame as at the moment the thread is exposed - see picture. It also looks like when I fit the 'noodle' for the cable the aero brake cover won't fit over the brake itself. Does anyone have this brake installed - is there a spacer required ? Any photo's or comments regarding the rear brake would be gratefully erecived.

My second problem is the cover for the 'cable bucket' on the top tube. I think the cover comes in two parts and I appear to have two of the same half - again see attached picture. Can anyone confirm that I need another 'half' to complete the cover ?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have still had no issues and have put a ton of miles on the bike. I put Blue thread lock on just about every bolt due to most of the roads we ride on in Texas. The bolt I used was a M4-.7 x 16mm. Enjoy your ride!!!

Shawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear both you and Shawn are enjoying the X-Strike on the Delta Sonic! Thanks for being our testers :)

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [GrahamMackie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Graham,

You might be best to email me directly and let me know which shop is closest to you. There were a very few of those brakes that went out with the wrong mounting bolt hardware. I will make sure you get the correct cable bucket too.

Thanks,

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is amazing! I've been waiting for something like this for a while. Are you going to offer it for sale or post how it was made? I have a 58 P5 just in case! I'm just shock that no one is offering a solution like this, the P5 is such a clean bike, I just hate to hang stuff from the back seat in order to carry my toolkit.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have a magura brake that sticks until it pops/snaps and then activates? If so, how do you fix that? ie start pulling lever, brake does not move, then with a somewhat forceful snap, the pads move way over to where they would have been had they been moving the whole time(onto the rim at that point)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the brakes relax normally when you release the lever or are they somewhat stuck? Me and my friend's were a little stuck when we released the lever. Turns out two spacers between the rear Magura brake and the frame is just enough to make the brake rub the BB cover. I pulled out a spacer, which solved the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Rear wheel spacing (just like the previous poster):

I have a HED stinger disc tubular (rear), which is quite wide. I had the same brake rub issue as described by the previous poster. I have no spacers in the brake pads, and it is rubbing on the drive side to the point where I can't use this wheel. My solution was to bleed out some of the fluid to the point where I had enough spacing.

Yes I know that when people do things like this they are doing it at there own risk etc. The rear brake worked to the point where I could feather it a bit, we were doing an informal 45 km TT and the braking worked well enough.

The issue is that when I look down at the wheel it appears to be off set to the drive side by about 2-3 mm. The dropout screws are all the way in and the wheel (I have checked this several times) is locked in as it should be. Is it normal for the wheel to be off centre?

My LBS is re-filling and bleeding the brakes so they will be back to normal. What would be the solution? I know I could shave the pads, but the way the wheel sits takes up all of the play in the Magura brakes.
As per my post above, make sure the BB cover is not rubbing the brake. It could be causing an illusion of tight brakes if the brake arms don't spring back like they should (it may not be a problem here, but it's worth checking out).

mauricemaher wrote:
Rear wheel cut out:

As I said the wheel is as far in as it will go, why is there still a 3/16 inch or so gap to the down tube? I looked at pics online and this appears to be the norm.

I also have about ~5mm of gap between frame and rear wheel with my Jet Disc and 23mm tire. This seems to be the absolute closest it can get because:

1) The dropout screws are all the way in (taking them out completely might get the gap down, though).
2) The rear brake shoes are in towards the BB as far as they will go and are only just hitting the brake track on the Jet Disc - 1mm less gap would cause the brake pads to hit the carbon instead of the aluminum brake track.

As Damon has pointed out, up to 6mm is fine aerodynamically, so it seems to be OK. I'm not sure how people wanting to run 20mm on their rear wheel will feel like. A good change to the frame could perhaps be to be able to mount the rear wheel at least 2-3mm closer to the frame (and make sure the rear brake would also allow this placement).
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no cover attached when this happens. brakes release fine, front just does not activate normally, it jumps once past the "snapping point" for lack of a better term. brakes sticks until enough pressure is applied than it jumps to grab the wheel

this is a front brake only problem
Last edited by: jeffp: Apr 22, 13 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
side note/question, anybody here rotate their magura levers 90deg and field test for aeroness?? :) they seem like they are failt easy to depress so it should be an ok spot, provided it is faster.

also, how about a hydraulic splitter to mount an additional rear brake lever on shifter for those so inclined. that is not me, but as i was riding with my chain falling apart, these ideas pop into my head. hydraulic shifting?? i am really digressing here.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,
I've had a message from the mechanic building my bike that he is having problems routing the rear hydraulic brake cable. He says it seems to be catching on something when he tries to thread it down the top tube cable entry point. Is this a known issue please?
Thank you,
John
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Campled.
Can you point us in the direction for how you built that?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jsamples53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just can't get my elbows far enough back, or the seat for that matter? P-5 six, so now I am trying shimano evo's because the elbow pads are adjustable so they can actually be rear of the handle bars. Sure wish the High riser was facing the other way, then it would be close. I realize there are so many differences in TT fit's but the six was made for triathletes and for the longer distanced we need to be a bit higher and a bit farther forward.
Help any other solution? I tried an extension plate that helped bu was not practical.

Go Big or go Home
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [johnny senna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny,

The hydraulic tube has a strong curl to it as a result of being coiled during shipping, so it tends to scrape along the inside edge of the guide tube.
At the end of the guide tube, there are one or two edges that the hose must pass by. These edges are nearly flush but there is some normal variation in height around the joint.

Have him twist the hose so it contacts the other side of the guide tube, where the step may be smaller or a step down instead of a step up.

Also the end of the tube can be cut at a chamfered angle to help it slip past any obstruction.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Damon, I will pass this on to my mechanic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Correct, the tire gap can be up to 6mm, so you're good.

Do you know, or have a gut feeling, if that's likely to also be true with a P4?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Ant-R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ant,

Yes, also true for the P4 (and P3 and P2), but it requires a properly shaped seat tube. Tire gap is something we've been studying a long time, which is why we have horizontal drop outs and adjusting screws. And a some very good seat tube shapes. :-)

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenstone Metal Company sure didn't make it easy getting their sticker off!

If anyone else is having trouble since it doesn't peel, I finally got it with a little googone and a gift card for scraping (gently of course).

Loving my new upgrade from a trusty P3

http://toddbyers.blogspot.com/ | @ToddByers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, any thoughts on my sticky brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, I'm currently building my 51 P5-3, and just to check - does the fork not require a crown race? No crown race was included, and the bottom of the steerer seems to be cone shaped to sit against the bearing, but a google search for information didn't find anything, so I thought I should check just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I had the same query and my LBS told me that there was no crown race included because the P5-3 fork is already chamfered.

regards
Quote Reply

Prev Next