Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:

I know there is going to be a trick to cycling. There always is

Yeah. Ride lots. Then ride some more. That means getting up at 4:30am to do 90 minutes on Zwift before work 2-3 times a week, and doing 4-5 hour rides on a saturday with the cycle club no matter what the weather. You want to meet your goal, suck it up buttercup. No short cuts, but if you don't make it then it's because you've decided not to do the sessions you needed.

Ignore the weight. Focus on the training and what you eat. Weight will just be what it will be as a result of the training and decisions you make about how to refuel.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. 7 months more feasible.

Still an optimistic outcome but definitely better odds than a lottery ticket.

Recommend reading Alan Couzens (ex Endurance Corner). He gave some benchmarks on annual improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per request.... Daily vlog.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha nice I hope ur successful - and if you aren’t, then ur going to be faster for it anyway. Hope your ticket is ok though- good luck and let us know how u getting along
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't you be training instead of dicking around on YouTube? (Pink. Ish)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:

I’m in for this ride and I wish you the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Hahaha nice I hope ur successful - and if you aren’t, then ur going to be faster for it anyway. Hope your ticket is ok though- good luck and let us know how u getting along

That's exactly how I think of it as well. Merci
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Shouldn't you be training instead of dicking around on YouTube? (Pink. Ish)

I'm on holiday. I went for a walk today....should start training on Wednesday again.

I got a heap of good advice from you lot and a few others. I'm building up 'the plan'
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

I’m in for this ride and I wish you the best.

#letsdothis culley22!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for "The Cycling Trick THEY Don't Want You to Know".

It's PowerCranks, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

But to claim it's a ridiculous target is false. It's not that crazy, the only slightly interesting thing is if he can self motivate to do it. I'd guess that in reality there will be a few posts of crash training, then some injury and then abandon race due to the injury, as opposed to the truth, that he didn't do the hard yards in conditioning now to provide the platform for the training in 3 months time.

It's not at all a ridiculous target for a male in his 30s. In fact 5:00 is probably on the slow side of what's possible, but is perfectly achievable with the right amount of training.

The part of this that is ridiculous is the OP's insistence on doing it within 3 months, dropping 2 hours from his previous time, and listing all the reasons why it's obvious he won't be able to get the training in that is necessary to achieve that goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

I know there is going to be a trick to cycling. There always is

Yeah. Ride lots. Then ride some more. That means getting up at 4:30am to do 90 minutes on Zwift before work 2-3 times a week, and doing 4-5 hour rides on a saturday with the cycle club no matter what the weather. You want to meet your goal, suck it up buttercup. No short cuts, but if you don't make it then it's because you've decided not to do the sessions you needed.

Ignore the weight. Focus on the training and what you eat. Weight will just be what it will be as a result of the training and decisions you make about how to refuel.

This. As I posted before, there are no hacks, you need to put in the time, on the bike and on your feet.

As someone who has lost 40kg and kept it off for over six years, time and consistency, that's all you need. Train consistently, watch what you eat consistently. I'm faster/stronger now at 84kg than I was at 78kg (my lowest when I was solely focused on weight loss), it's not always just about the scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

I'm sure there is something else. Until I find a study to disprove this. Then it's ride ride ride
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

But to claim it's a ridiculous target is false. It's not that crazy, the only slightly interesting thing is if he can self motivate to do it. I'd guess that in reality there will be a few posts of crash training, then some injury and then abandon race due to the injury, as opposed to the truth, that he didn't do the hard yards in conditioning now to provide the platform for the training in 3 months time.

It's not at all a ridiculous target for a male in his 30s. In fact 5:00 is probably on the slow side of what's possible, but is perfectly achievable with the right amount of training.

The part of this that is ridiculous is the OP's insistence on doing it within 3 months, dropping 2 hours from his previous time, and listing all the reasons why it's obvious he won't be able to get the training in that is necessary to achieve that goal.

Where did I mention I was racing in three months :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

I'm sure there is something else. Until I find a study to disprove this. Then it's ride ride ride

And so if the majority of people are telling you the same thing, you think there might be something to it?

You're getting grief because you're looking for a magic bullet when there is none. Ride a lot. Run a lot. Do this for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

And so if the majority of people are telling you the same thing, you think there might be something to it?

You're getting grief because you're looking for a magic bullet when there is none. Ride a lot. Run a lot. Do this for a long time.

Yes they have a lens. A bias. They review this as the magic bullet because of their own views and life. I appreciate that.

However, what they fail to understand. When you have a lot of experience and someone comes along with zero. There is basics you can help them with for mass benefits.

For instance. None of you have mentioned hills, HIIT, tempo or planned endurance increases.

So I get that YOU got for doing years of riding.

BUT... What can someone who didn't even ride a bike as a kid... Do. To learn how to ride.

:-)

And a few of you answered that. Very good feedback.

Bike fit. Right bike. Ride more (which is actually advice)

However, I still want the philological reason for this. Its not vo2, it's just bike muscle endurance? Ok. So which muscles? How much flexibility? Does it have to be open road? Inside? Does running help at all or not? I mean fark there is a lot of questions

But I don't need them answered until I am riding 100km again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

Where did I mention I was racing in three months :-)

OK 7. I think I got the 3 from someone else.

The post still applies :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
For instance. None of you have mentioned hills, HIIT, tempo or planned endurance increases.

Nobody is suggesting these things because of this:

Bonmaklad wrote:
BUT... What can someone who didn't even ride a bike as a kid... Do. To learn how to ride.

You don't have nearly enough "base" of cycling experience and endurance to start really working any high intensity stuff. "Just Ride" for the next year or so is probably the best thing you can do. Ride a lot. Ride at least 4 days a week. At least an hour at a time. Long on weekends. Come back after a summer of that and we can talk about building more "interesting" cycling training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

Yes they have a lens. A bias. They review this as the magic bullet because of their own views and life. I appreciate that.

However, what they fail to understand. When you have a lot of experience and someone comes along with zero. There is basics you can help them with for mass benefits.

However, I still want the philological reason for this. Its not vo2, it's just bike muscle endurance? Ok. So which muscles? How much flexibility? Does it have to be open road? Inside? Does running help at all or not? I mean fark there is a lot of questions

We're all aware of the context of your question. The lens you describe is one of experience. Despite your insistence, you're getting good advice.

I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

We're all aware of the context of your question. The lens you describe is one of experience. Despite your insistence, you're getting good advice.

I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.

And I disagree.

I HAVE coached people from 44min swims to 32mins in 7 weeks.

I HAVE improved my running. Just from running properly and doing a progressively longer long run once a week.

There WILL be an 80:20 rule for cycling. That will see me do sub 90mins. But because you all find it EASY. you dont realize, its a simeple technique or layer of muscle. I will find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will personally get down on my knees and worship your genius when you do a sub 90min 70.3 ride*

*note this offer expires in 2021 when they introduce the e-bike category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And note that don't find cycling easy. It's just that after decades of constant riding, including 2 hours a day of hilly commute at hard pace everyday for 3 years, then on top of my natural advantage of huge lungs, my hard work lets me ride quicker than most. Despite all that, it takes me about 8-10 hours of riding a week to maintain that, split between high intensity, low intensity and my weekly 150km ride. Honestly, amongst all of the cyclists / triathletes I know, including over 50 that I have good visibility of the training, and there are non that are significantly quicker than me with less training. Some are definitely faster, but they train more hours and have made better kit choices. Some train a lot less than me, and are either a little bit slower, or a lot slower. And this includes some really switched on coaches.

Unlike swimming and running, then your feet are fixed to the pedals and so there's not the technique options that the other disciplines have. You can pedal piston and not round, that will slow you down. You can use the wrong cadence, that will slow you down. You can stand and rock the bike side to side instead of staying seated with the bike upright, that'll slow you down. But aside from that, it's down to cardio, core strength and leg strength in that order. No short cut to the first one. The last one comes as a result of doing the work for the first one. And whilst 90% of the field won't do the core strength, they also won't realise how they are compromising their cycling, and also won't go sub 2h30 (I'm assuming that's what you mean't, not 90min).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been a good read. I’d rather you do a new thread each month with an update.

Good luck with it. Either way tipping you’ll pb your next 703

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't find cycling easy I don't know anyone who does.

If you are looking for the trick its this structured workouts and consistency.

This year after 3-4 years of 3 hour HIM bike splits I bought myself a powermeter, got on trainer road and been super consistent with 3-4 sessions on the bike every week and all of them structured with a purpose and I have gone from less than 3 watts/kg to almost 4. But if you think you are going to get there with a couple of weeks you are as others have said utterly deluded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
.....I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.

And I disagree.

I HAVE coached people from 44min swims to 32mins in 7 weeks.

I HAVE improved my running. Just from running properly and doing a progressively longer long run once a week.

There WILL be an 80:20 rule for cycling. That will see me do sub 90mins. But because you all find it EASY. you dont realize, its a simeple technique or layer of muscle. I will find it.[/quote]Swimming is about technique first and foremost. You can go much faster with the same effort just by doing it right.

Running is technique, CV fitness and durability. You can go faster with similar effort by doing it right, you need to build up to distance.

Cycling is almost entirely a product of power output. technique is not really much off a factor. You turn the pedals and the bike goes forward - there's not a lot of variation in how you do this once you've done even a very moderate amount of cycling.
The only easy gain is drag reduction. Aerodynamics being by far the biggest element of drag at reasonable speeds. Aerodynamic drag is primarily dictated by your size and position on the bike (so bike fit may help), clothing and equipment make a smaller but still relevant difference. Rolling resistance can easily be dealt with by using reasonable quality low resistance tyres. Get latex tubes and GP5000 tyres and forget about that entire topic until you're worrying about the last few seconds.

So there's no "trick" in cycling. Increase your ability to produce power by training and reduce areas where it's wasted by minimising drag.
Quote Reply

Prev Next