Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simo429 wrote:
Lets be honest you managed less than a week of vlogging before packing it in, you haven't got the determination to do this nor the athletic background. You throw anecdotes and phrases like they mean anything. They don't.

I said on the last video that it'll go weekly now. (Which reminds me to upload)

Honestly.. There is nothing to say daily. Every week now is just the same with a light increase.... Duncan said it needs to build up to 20 hours. So it's building up to 20 hours.

I can't see what else I can talk about in this forum.

A couple of you know how to read and they are valuable assets in a transformation and have given some great feedback.

The rest of you just seem like losers to be fair. Can't see outside your slim world view.

1. I never said I wouldn't do 20 hours a week for 8 months.
2. I never said I wanted it easy. I said I wanted it smart
3. I have already found three hacks on the bike.
I) bike fit
II) using a better fluid motion so that your pulling up and down on pedals
III) greater zone 2 workouts to build a bigger base
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
....It is interesting that you swing between agreeing with me and back to your way or the high way....
What does this mean? Are you suggesting there's something strange about me agreeing with some things you say while disagreeing with others? I'm neither with you nor against you. I'm engaging in a conversation and considering each point on it's merits. Are you trying to dumb it down to good guys and bad guys or something?

Bonmaklad wrote:
....If there was absolute answers, we wouldn't need to gather other people's view and test them.
You've lost me again. There are absolute answers to some things and not to others, but I don't now what you're trying to get at here.

Bonmaklad wrote:
....I say again. It is irrelevant what you value to me and I to you. I understand what you are saying but you won't just accept that for me... A 6 won't make me happy and I'm not going to do something that doesn't make me happy.
Like I said previously, there is no objective value in any specific time. I think we agree on that. But you are arbitrarily choosing 6hrs as the time you must beat or it's worthless. I'm specifically criticising this decision, and it is a decision. You select your goal. You can be happy with >6hrs if you wish. It's your choice. If you think it's not, then I doubt there's any time that will make you happy. While a specific time may be a nice notional target, and I've had them myself, the fact is they fail to take too much into account. But even if we were to agree time was a good enough way to determine ability, dismissing a standard already way above you is a recipe for disillusionment and failure, plus it's insulting to many who are already better at this than you.

Bonmaklad wrote:
....Value is not money.
I think that was my point! See my previous post regarding your investment analogy.

Then I am unsure on the points you are saying. If you agree value is not money and its subjective, then you can agree that 6 is not valuable to me and therefore I want to train for five.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Makes me remember a ride with a friend of mine I have known for 30 years. We met bmx racing at the track when we were kids. We have ridden bikes forever. We were at the top of a climb on a road ride and we saw a tremendous view. We stopped, soaked it in for about 5 min as we talked a bit. He said- I wish more people rode bikes and realized getting in shape is a side effect, but not really why you do it. I agreed.

It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I try and do this almost every long ride. Find a beautiful view, stop for a few minutes, have a chat/coffee/snack for 15 minutes. It's not going to take anything out of my training if the ride is 4+ hrs long, and man biking has brought me to some beautiful places!
The same on runs over 15kms, although there the stops are usually a much shorter.

The triathlon journey for me has been a 3 year process till I got to my first HIM this year. And while I'm looking forward to the races, it's the training and friends that I made along the way that I enjoy most.
I'm here 50% just to be outside (this includes running in the Canadian winter), 30% stress relief from my day job as a trader, and 20% for results in a race. Getting fit just happened along the way. If I don't hit my target times, I'll at least be 80% happy :)

Completely understand that others have different priorities, and that is their prerogative. It allows me to enjoy the 360 days of the year that I'm training, as much as the 5 days a year that I'm racing.

I am Uber jealous of people who love biking. I am uncomfortable and bored. Maybe cos I live in a really or maybe cos I don't have the right mind for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Makes me remember a ride with a friend of mine I have known for 30 years. We met bmx racing at the track when we were kids. We have ridden bikes forever. We were at the top of a climb on a road ride and we saw a tremendous view. We stopped, soaked it in for about 5 min as we talked a bit. He said- I wish more people rode bikes and realized getting in shape is a side effect, but not really why you do it. I agreed.

It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I try and do this almost every long ride. Find a beautiful view, stop for a few minutes, have a chat/coffee/snack for 15 minutes. It's not going to take anything out of my training if the ride is 4+ hrs long, and man biking has brought me to some beautiful places!
The same on runs over 15kms, although there the stops are usually a much shorter.

The triathlon journey for me has been a 3 year process till I got to my first HIM this year. And while I'm looking forward to the races, it's the training and friends that I made along the way that I enjoy most.
I'm here 50% just to be outside (this includes running in the Canadian winter), 30% stress relief from my day job as a trader, and 20% for results in a race. Getting fit just happened along the way. If I don't hit my target times, I'll at least be 80% happy :)

Completely understand that others have different priorities, and that is their prerogative. It allows me to enjoy the 360 days of the year that I'm training, as much as the 5 days a year that I'm racing.

I am Uber jealous of people who love biking. I am uncomfortable and bored. Maybe cos I live in a really or maybe cos I don't have the right mind for it.
Why do it then?
Seriously, if you don't like cycling, do run/swim events.

At the core of your posts is one common element - you want to achieve a time but you don't seem interested in the race, or perhaps even the sport. You want to know the secret that makes it all easy so you can be great. You want to skip right to the bit where you finish well. There's a lot of cycling between where you are and what you think you want. Have fun!

I always love cycling, mostly love running, and find swimming satisfying when I get into it but don't love it. Thus I don't train a whole lot for the swim. But that's okay. I can live with my slow swims and the knock on effect for the rest of the race. I do more duathlons than triathlons because that's what I like best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:

A couple of you know how to read and they are valuable assets in a transformation and have given some great feedback.

The rest of you just seem like losers to be fair. Can't see outside your slim world view.

Says the guy ignoring the advice of most people who know what they're talking about and looking for hacks and shortcuts.

Couple of pro tips to be helpful.

1. Your weekly training hours should probably exceed the length of your race time.
2. Your FTP should be above your weight.
3. You shouldn't bag on 6 hour HIM's until you can actually do one. Your 4 hour HIM bike split doesn't give you reason to have such arrogance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Why do it then?
Seriously, if you don't like cycling, do run/swim events.

At the core of your posts is one common element - you want to achieve a time but you don't seem interested in the race, or perhaps even the sport. You want to know the secret that makes it all easy so you can be great. You want to skip right to the bit where you finish well. There's a lot of cycling between where you are and what you think you want. Have fun!

I always love cycling, mostly love running, and find swimming satisfying when I get into it but don't love it. Thus I don't train a whole lot for the swim. But that's okay. I can live with my slow swims and the knock on effect for the rest of the race. I do more duathlons than triathlons because that's what I like best.

1. My goals are my own
2. Asking for the 80:20 is not easy. Don't be ridiculous.
3. In New Zealand there isn't many options and I thoroughly enjoy the race, not the bike training for 4 hours.

I am extremely surprised at the idea of "just train". Surely none of you are coaches???? I mean are we saying that triathlon coaches completely miss the psychological factors around motiavtional theory, game play and incremental success?? I mean fark, " just train" is about as useful as "go earn money" and "just work hard... Ur make it"

Ridiculous.

Sorry for finally losing my temper but its getting tiresome. You do u boo.

Me? I'm scaling up to 20 hours a week. I've decided to work part time so I can scale up to 20 hours like Duncan said.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

Says the guy ignoring the advice of most people who know what they're talking about and looking for hacks and shortcuts.

Couple of pro tips to be helpful.

1. Your weekly training hours should probably exceed the length of your race time.
2. Your FTP should be above your weight.
3. You shouldn't bag on 6 hour HIM's until you can actually do one. Your 4 hour HIM bike split doesn't give you reason to have such arrogance.

I'm not ignoring. I'm challenging it as it doesn't line up
1. Training hours would only be 7 hours. I think 10 hours is about right, but I need significantly more base level, so will be scaling up to 20, thank you for this input
2. I assume u mean in pounds? As my FTP is above 80 :-)
3. If YOU took that its bagging. Then it's a problem on your side. I can't earn a billion but i also don't value that as a goal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for someone in such desperate need to find a shortcut to success I can’t believe you haven’t considered the biggest shortcut. Just go on the Armstrong training program- HGH, epo, testosterone. You’ll reach your goal in no time, without all that hard work. Sure you could find someway to justify
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [sammydog1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sammydog1 wrote:
for someone in such desperate need to find a shortcut to success I can’t believe you haven’t considered the biggest shortcut. Just go on the Armstrong training program- HGH, epo, testosterone. You’ll reach your goal in no time, without all that hard work. Sure you could find someway to justify

Is this legit? I do not see any logic that would mean it would help at such a low training fitness?

Would testosterone help in recovery? So I can train more thou? That would work.

I was tempted to trial creatine loading once I lose the remaining weight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
sammydog1 wrote:

Is this legit? I do not see any logic that would mean it would help at such a low training fitness?

PED's and creatine are probably exactly what you're missing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried creatine back in 12th grade for weight lifting purposes. Noticed results just a couple weeks in... went hard one day and blew my left pec out. As in, all of the cells burst and my pec became a tit for like three weeks. Sore as heck, soggy full of water tit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I tried creatine back in 12th grade for weight lifting purposes. Noticed results just a couple weeks in... went hard one day and blew my left pec out. As in, all of the cells burst and my pec became a tit for like three weeks. Sore as heck, soggy full of water tit.

What the fook haha

I use creatine to maximise my lifts and my HIIT training. I wonder if beta a mixed with creatine during the next stage would be good to increase vo2 just that little bit extra.

Then drop creatine to reduce water weight and keep beta a
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
sammydog1 wrote:

Yeah blood doping is an awesome endurance "hack". Im surprised Ben Greenfield or Dave Asprey or Joe Rogan haven't given you that as part of your 80:20 lifestyle design for triathlon. Its would say 80 minutes at the blood bank or anti aging clinic would help you 20% faster.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan said it needs to build up to 20 hours. So it's building up to 20 hours.

Pause - rewind.

I didn't *quite* say that. I stated what I was doing for the 6-8 months between starting training and completing in 4:42. So there's a bit of a difference to saying you need to train 20 hours, but to be honest let's keep it simple and assume we're about that.

But the key is consistency. And to be able to be consistently doing 15-20 hours a week you need to be doing a lot more sessions than you are - don't need to all be long at this stage, but you need to establish a base of consistency in training that gives you 4 sessions of each per week. And a couple of additional strength / stretch given your age and current condition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legit is actually how ridiculous this thread is. Even when “legit” triathletes are giving you serious and well detailed advices on how get closer to your goal you just confirm over and over again that you don’t want to put the work and hours needed because you want the “smarter” way and on the first doping bait you say you would actually consider it. I guess quicker is smarter, so why not, right? Ohhh, and BTW signing up to a triathlete forum and share that you don’t understand how people can enjoy cycling as you find it really boring, but still you want to do a half Ironman in <5 hours just to prove you can (and probably make the majority of the forum look like losers), doesn’t sound as a smart move.
I mean, everybody can post and comment but this is not a thread that belongs to ST, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan said it needs to build up to 20 hours. So it's building up to 20 hours.

Pause - rewind.

I didn't *quite* say that. I stated what I was doing for the 6-8 months between starting training and completing in 4:42. So there's a bit of a difference to saying you need to train 20 hours, but to be honest let's keep it simple and assume we're about that.

But the key is consistency. And to be able to be consistently doing 15-20 hours a week you need to be doing a lot more sessions than you are - don't need to all be long at this stage, but you need to establish a base of consistency in training that gives you 4 sessions of each per week. And a couple of additional strength / stretch given your age and current condition.

Once I get an indoor trainer for swift, I think it'll help with the over two hour sessions.

I can't go gung-ho. I need to build up slowly.

But yeah 15-20 hours 90% of the weeks seems plausible

After reading about the zone two training. It makes a lot more sense around the build part you said a few weeks ago. I'm doing everything in zone 2 at the moment and eventually 17 hours zone 1-2 and 3 hours 4-5
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
Legit is actually how ridiculous this thread is. Even when “legit” triathletes are giving you serious and well detailed advices on how get closer to your goal you just confirm over and over again that you don’t want to put the work and hours needed because you want the “smarter” way and on the first doping bait you say you would actually consider it. I guess quicker is smarter, so why not, right? Ohhh, and BTW signing up to a triathlete forum and share that you don’t understand how people can enjoy cycling as you find it really boring, but still you want to do a half Ironman in <5 hours just to prove you can (and probably make the majority of the forum look like losers), doesn’t sound as a smart move.
I mean, everybody can post and comment but this is not a thread that belongs to ST, IMHO.

Since you can not read, your advice is not wanted or needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't be hung ho
Need to build up slowly
Haven't ridden bike this year.
Decide to do 2 hour ride plus running while doing a water fast..
Doesn't make sense..

There are lot of smart people in here and a lot of them have achieved what you want to and yet you dismiss much of their advice.. you seem to think you know more than people who have more experience than which clearly isn't the case..

If I lived in wanganui I'd be the same way im sure...
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we stop feeding the troll please, especially if they are from Wanganui....https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flight<bird wrote:
Can't be hung ho
Need to build up slowly
Haven't ridden bike this year.
Decide to do 2 hour ride plus running while doing a water fast..
Doesn't make sense..

There are lot of smart people in here and a lot of them have achieved what you want to and yet you dismiss much of their advice.. you seem to think you know more than people who have more experience than which clearly isn't the case..

If I lived in wanganui I'd be the same way im sure...

I asked a simple question and got the answer I wanted from three mature adults.

The rest of the kids can not read, debate and clearly do not under the science of WHY they do what they do.

Probably just losers who have very little going on in their life, have finally achieved something average and now want to mock anyone coming along.

I have above average knowledge in swimming and can give anyone rough guidelines to their goals. That's all most people want for motivation... They want to create goals that have metric to work off of. To see incremental success.

It's literally the most basic question you would get on here.

"Where is the biggest bang for buck"

If your race is less than 3 months away... It's in HIIT training (proven by meta analysis on vo2 max increases dramatically increasing over sow and steady.

However, as two of you pointed out.... It's 8 months away. A build phase at zone 2 to create larger long term health would be advantageous

Cycling is three things above 5mins.
1. The ability to transfer oxygen and fuel into energy and carbon dioxide
2. The power to push and pull the pedals (yes none of you told me I'm meant to pull up as well)
3. The ability to manage fuel efficiently. I.E to ensure long term fuel management

I feel sorry for any newbie who asks a question in this forum. They need to stand clear and ask nice people the stupid questions.

I don't live in Wanganui. I live in Whanganui you racist fuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunate thread. Frankly, I would be surprised if someone training 20hrs/wk for any length of time didn’t finish in under 5 hours, although I like riding my bike.
Last edited by: Wild Horse: May 11, 19 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:

I asked a simple question and got the answer I wanted from three mature adults.

The rest of the kids can not read, debate and clearly do not under the science of WHY they do what they do.

I have above average knowledge in swimming and can give anyone rough guidelines to their goals.

Probably just losers who have very little going on in their life, have finally achieved something average and now want to mock anyone coming along.

I don't live in Wanganui. I live in Whanganui you racist fuck

--------------------

oof. I swam at a powerhouse D1 school, qualified for Olympic Trials, and I know I have more knowledge about swimming than most. It is a matter of being "qualified to give anyone rough guidelines to their goals," as you put it. I would choose someone with extensive swimming experience over someone who is only doing 3 practices a week for 28 minutes. What happens if you swim over 28 minutes in the race? Will you give up because that throws you off? I recommend doing 3000-4000 a practice for swimming. Keeps endurance up, rather than swimming what you think you'll be able to do (assuming you're 1.9km time was in a pool, and not open water).

sometimes people read and aren't debating with you- they are telling you from experience that you probably aren't going to achieve your goal in the timeframe you want based on the stats you gave. I used to think that getting where I wanted to be on biking or running would be "easy"- train more and it would come. It doesn't really happen like that. You will take steps forward and backwards, and some weeks you will wonder if you are even making progress. If you think you won't be one of those people, ask any professional triathlete if they've had weeks and seasons where they haven't achieved what they wanted. Also, calling people losers after they disagree with you is juvenile.... and to call someone a racist fk simply because they forgot the h in the Whaganui name is rude and shows you aren't open to constructive criticism at all... or even someone making an accidental typo lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [swimdog295] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimdog295 wrote:

sometimes people read and aren't debating with you- they are telling you from experience that you probably aren't going to achieve your goal in the timeframe you want based on the stats you gave. I used to think that getting where I wanted to be on biking or running would be "easy"- train more and it would come. It doesn't really happen like that. You will take steps forward and backwards, and some weeks you will wonder if you are even making progress. If you think you won't be one of those people, ask any professional triathlete if they've had weeks and seasons where they haven't achieved what they wanted. Also, calling people losers after they disagree with you is juvenile.... and to call someone a racist fk simply because they forgot the h in the Whaganui name is rude and shows you aren't open to constructive criticism at all... or even someone making an accidental typo lol

And he doesn't realize that THIS is why he is getting the reactions he is. Nobody would bat an eye if it were just newbie questions. There's this very strange arrogance, and I have zero idea where it's coming from. It's now mixed with a misunderstanding of the advice given to him so far and some very odd and wrong beliefs (who still thinks you pull up on pedals? creatine?) regarding training and the science behind it.

But I'm now in 100% on this train wreck. I can't wait to see what his next hack is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Simo429 wrote:
Lets be honest you managed less than a week of vlogging before packing it in, you haven't got the determination to do this nor the athletic background. You throw anecdotes and phrases like they mean anything. They don't.

I said on the last video that it'll go weekly now. (Which reminds me to upload)

Honestly.. There is nothing to say daily. Every week now is just the same with a light increase.... Duncan said it needs to build up to 20 hours. So it's building up to 20 hours.

I can't see what else I can talk about in this forum.

1. I never said I wouldn't do 20 hours a week for 8 months.
2. I never said I wanted it easy. I said I wanted it smart
3. I have already found three hacks on the bike.
I) bike fit
II) using a better fluid motion so that your pulling up and down on pedals
III) greater zone 2 workouts to build a bigger base

Smart is not getting hurt and training today so you can train tomorrow. You said you were at the doc for heart issues. Don’t die man.

3 hacks on the bike- what do you mean by hack?

Pull up and down on the pedals. No. People once believed clipless pedals allowed you to pull. It’s bullshit. You pedal through the bottom stroke efficiently as you rotate your ankle as you spin. Proper seat height helps with pedal stroke tremendously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

How can you be bored on a bike? You travel 4 times faster than running and that makes for 4 times more things to see? Not much to see underwater when swimming, that should be boring! If your uncomfortable, go to the bike shop and ask for a bike fit. Necessary when you ride a lot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next