Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ridiculous 70.3 Target
Quote | Reply
Ok.. So. First, hey!! And secondly, I like lofty unachievable goals. It's just my thing.

I want sub 5 hours 70.3 this December 12th 2019 in Taupo.

I did 7 hours in 2018
Times
Swim: 34mins
Cycle: 6 hours something
Run: 2:28

This was my second 90km of cycling. 6th 21km with😇 the best times of cycling: 3hours and 1:50 run.

Swim I can do 1.9km in around 27mins

Now I did bonk 60km into the cycle.... But that's just bad prep. However, my 45km time was 80mins, which I was happy with.

I'm going to hit this at a train low, race high don't approach.

I'm 10kg over my race weight.

I'm a business consultant with very little time between my kids and job.

But I will do this. Or die trying.

Ok.. I was in hospital (heart) last month which means my round two training has just begun.

I am doing 60mins a day slow and easy on all three disciplines every morning 6 times a week and physical upper body to strengthen and build core in evenings.

After ten weeks I'm hoping to be adjusted to ketones again, able to run and cycle and have built my core.

I'll have 6 months left

Has anyone got any experience in dropping two hours or an hour or busy beever life causing less training? I did read ben greenfield training for sub 10 hours. (Last year I did 7 weeks x 8 hours a week)

Ok.

Yeah, be kind. This is not a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry but it does read like a joke.

In 6 months you will not drop that kind of time.

You are 10kg overweight. OK that can be solved. Start there.

But you were in the hospital with heart issues, which to me says you probably are not fit enough to perform at the level you desire. What does your doctor think of you adding that much stress to your body? This alone could cause you to die trying. Is that really what you want for your family?

You have a family and a demanding job, which will basically remove any time you have to put in the quality training you need.

And you are following a diet that is non-conducive to endurance sports.

So why do you think this will work?
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a positive note, you have a solid swim. Stick with that for sure.

6 months is not reasonable to go from 7 hours to 5 hours. What is the rush? These things take time. You are looking at putting in effort over a few years, not a few months, to be able to be able to post times like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes swim was an easy hack. I posted similar to my swimming network.

My time on run went from 2:30 to 1:50 by changing two simple things last year. This year I expect to get down to 1:30 with training more than two hours a week.

Cycling is something, I do not understand and although my buddy tells me I don't train anywhere near enough.

As for timing. New Zealand is holding the world champs. Sub 5 hour gives me a shot.

Lofty goals remember. Why aim low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am actually not at all understanding your times here.

What do you mean you went from 2:30 on the run to 1:50? What race did you split 1:50?

Your bike split in the 6 hour range clearly doesn't make sense. What was your bike split?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first 70.3 was 6:30 something, second was 7:05-ish, I have no kids, a well life-balanced job and was still in the 30-34 AG, took me two years to get to sub-5 but hey, you want lofty goals, go for it. As long as your doctor says you will be OK. Please keep in mind that most deaths in triathlon occur because of heart issues, although I think most are unknown to the participant so maybe you can find your limits and stay well within them.

Btw, people will ask for stand-alone times, HM stand-alone, FTP, maybe a time trial result, how's your fit, etc. All those and more will matter in the ST judgement of your lofty goal.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

What do you mean you went from 2:30 on the run to 1:50? What race did you split 1:50?

Your bike split in the 6 hour range clearly doesn't make sense. What was your bike split?

Just posted actual's.

I mean individual events. I should pull 1.3x this year for run individually. I am not focussing on swim, will just do lots of high 28s in the pool and then ocean come spring.

Cycling. I have no idea. I don't even understand how people do 2 hours for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
my first 70.3 was 6:30 something, second was 7:05-ish, I have no kids, a well life-balanced job and was still in the 30-34 AG, took me two years to get to sub-5 but hey, you want lofty goals, go for it. As long as your doctor says you will be OK. Please keep in mind that most deaths in triathlon occur because of heart issues, although I think most are unknown to the participant so maybe you can find your limits and stay well within them.

Btw, people will ask for stand-alone times, HM stand-alone, FTP, maybe a time trial result, how's your fit, etc. All those and more will matter in the ST judgement of your lofty goal.

Thanks for the context. I see that there is a lot of doctor talk. Is this an American thing?

I'm looking for that 80:20 rule of success. There will be something. Always is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. See IM South Africa few weeks ago, two people died, one of heart issues, the other idk. The point is that heart issues are dangerous for endurance sports in general (everywhere, not just the US) and sub-5 is fairly hard to do even on a cool, flat course. Unless you yourself are a cardiologist, don't just assume you'll be fine.

So do you have any stand-alone stuff in cycling or running? even a 5k/10k? Have you gotten fit for your tri bike?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude!! It looks like you’re trying to make the headlines at the news after the event. You should read the IM news to see that what’s happening for real? Recently, 2 guys at South Africa.
Did you mention a heart condition?
You need to take it easy.

I’m not saying you won’t be able to drop your time but it’s going to take much longer than one year, but your plans are just unrealistic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are goofy. Nothing of what you've said makes sense, but I did get a chuckle out of the Greenfield reference.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
You are goofy. Nothing of what you've said makes sense, but I did get a chuckle out of the Greenfield reference.

Well greenfield’s “performance” was injecting stem cells in his member. /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

2:30 to 1:50. switch from work boots to sneakers and actually tie the laces. /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My time on run went from 2:30 to 1:50 by changing two simple things last year. This year I expect to get down to 1:30 with training more than two hours a week.

That reads like a buzzfeed article headline. Care to elaborate on what two simple things you changed?
More importantly, like others have said - get your health checked out. There have been far too many deaths in races due to heart conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Just posted actual's.

I mean individual events. I should pull 1.3x this year for run individually. I am not focussing on swim, will just do lots of high 28s in the pool and then ocean come spring.

Cycling. I have no idea. I don't even understand how people do 2 hours for this.

If you can run a half marathon in 1.3x, you should be able to run a 70.3 in low 1.40s. Swim is good, work on drafting and getting a good position from the start and you can come in with the top kids, shaving a few mins off your swim time. Bike is tricky and depends on a lot of factors:

- course, is it hilly, rough tarmac
- bike, is it an old roadie or decent TT with good wheels/tyres/bikefit/helmet etc
- weather, wind and rain will be a killer
- bike ability, by this I mean natural bike fitness. I guess someone with more understanding could explain this, but what I've noticed is that some people, doesn't matter how much they train, are just shit on the bike. Just really slow. They've trained hard, their run and swim is good, similar age/build to me, but are just slow...
- bike skills/knowledge, I guess this is built up over time. Knowing what cadence to ride at, what gear to use, how to ride hills, how to draft legally, knowing what HR to ride at, gear selection, tyre pressure, actual riding ability as in knowing how fast you can descend, taking corners, how to overtake, making the most of the 25s you get to overtake etc etc All of that takes time. Riding with groups, riding on different bikes with different gear in different conditions on different routes.

I'm a bit confused with your bike times though. You went 3 hours for the bike in a 70.3 or 4 hours? And if you're bonking on a bike that's an easy fix, heart rate monitor. Some may disagree, but I find a 70.3 ride on a par with an average training ride, I can still chat to people, I'm not under duress. (I'll ride low mid 2.20s). A lot of people over-bike, both in 70.3s and IM. Not just inexperienced peeps. One of the top (very experienced) AGers in my area rode as quick as some of the pros 4.3x and then ran 5 hours. He did that 2 years in a row.... and then did the same thing in Kona.. So keeping an eye on that HR is critical. You should never come close to bonking on the bike, maybe with 7 kms to go on the run, but the bike should be moderate exertion.

sub 5 hours is achievable for sure. Just ride lots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just gotta say... very first post ever for you, same day you sign up, and it seems way fishy so most people are going to assume you are trolling....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I had a goal of sub-5 hours for my first 70.3. I went 5:00:13... and was 25 mins outside qualifying for worlds. (I also trained 10+ hours a week and had ran 2000 miles a year for years before this.) If you want to ride sub-2:30, which you need to to go sub-5, you need to bike 8-10 hours a week for the next 8 months. If you want to drop 30+ mins in your half marathon, you need to run 30-40 miles per week for the next 8 months. Plus swim, plus stretch, plus lift, plus core, plus 8+ hrs sleep. Do you have that kind of time? I don't think people understand the time commitment you need to be good. Good luck with this though, just don't get disappointed when it doesn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this! Go HAM! PR or ER baby.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely don't need sub 2:30 to go sub 5. I didn't go sub 2:30 for my first few and have never gone close to a 5:00. Just gotta improve the run. Swim is where it needs to be.

27 swim
2.40 ride
1.40 run
:10 for transition
4:57.

Those splits are not out of the realms of possibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
No. See IM South Africa few weeks ago, two people died, one of heart issues, the other idk. The point is that heart issues are dangerous for endurance sports in general (everywhere, not just the US) and sub-5 is fairly hard to do even on a cool, flat course. Unless you yourself are a cardiologist, don't just assume you'll be fine.

So do you have any stand-alone stuff in cycling or running? even a 5k/10k? Have you gotten fit for your tri bike?

Got a sexy p2. My first ride was the 70.3 event. So there is a lot of work there I admit.

Yup p.b
5k 20:12
10k 50:10
21k 1:50.xx

Cycle no. Best 45km was 1:20 in the taupo event.

- I'm all good. I'm 32 and just suffer from stress related inflammation. Had my ultrasound and I'm in a ok health. I just had a pericarditis attack. Heart related... Not the heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [sithlord31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sithlord31 wrote:
Dude!! It looks like you’re trying to make the headlines at the news after the event. You should read the IM news to see that what’s happening for real? Recently, 2 guys at South Africa.
Did you mention a heart condition?
You need to take it easy.

I’m not saying you won’t be able to drop your time but it’s going to take much longer than one year, but your plans are just unrealistic.

Thank you for your input.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harshc wrote:
Quote:

That reads like a buzzfeed article headline. Care to elaborate on what two simple things you changed?
More importantly, like others have said - get your health checked out. There have been far too many deaths in races due to heart conditions.

Yeah sure.
1. I added in longer runs
2. I stopped eating so many inflammatory foods.

I did 1hr 58 after a three day water fast after building up long runs. Then tried again but with some low GI foods and I didnt eat in the morning but fuelled with a non fructose based gel (sp my liver was producing ketones still)

So yeah. 2:30, 2:28, 2:20 and then 1:58, 1:50

Now.. I know I can run a 21km event without eating and barely drinking. But I obviously can't do that for 70.3

Hence. I'm looking for the 80:20 rules here. What have shown others major impact on sleep, diet, building miles, HIIT, sessions, rest etc etc etc

I am following Daniel plews (phd and new Zealand top amateur ironman) food this time around. If I can't find the hints and tricks, I will also get him to coach me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh ok, good two helpful points of info (especially the heart thing!), but one question remains: did you get a bike fit? if you want sub-5, you need a good bike fit to balance aero & comfort.

5k pb is great, seems you are like I was when I first started, 20 minutes of speed, anything beyond that, death. But to get faster at longer distances as someone said earlier, you need more miles. You also need more hours on the bike. Best hope is to use part or all of your commute to fill in the blanks.

Lastly, spend time practicing transitions, you don't want to end up with a 5:00:20 with a 5 minute T1. It is valuable time. IMO, flying mounts are not valuable in a 70.3 (you'll definitely hear otherwise from others) as you want to ensure you have a tight shoe for good power transfer but a flying dismount is absolutely necessary.

I do hope you stay and enjoy all that ST has to offer and update this thread on December 7th with a race report.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gashman wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Just posted actual's.

If you can run a half marathon in 1.3x, you should be able to run a 70.3 in low 1.40s. Swim is good, work on drafting and getting a good position from the start and you can come in with the top kids, shaving a few mins off your swim time. Bike is tricky and depends on a lot of factors:

- course, is it hilly, rough tarmac
- bike, is it an old roadie or decent TT with good wheels/tyres/bikefit/helmet etc
- weather, wind and rain will be a killer
- bike ability, by this I mean natural bike fitness. I guess someone with more understanding could explain this, but what I've noticed is that some people, doesn't matter how much they train, are just shit on the bike. Just really slow. They've trained hard, their run and swim is good, similar age/build to me, but are just slow...
- bike skills/knowledge, I guess this is built up over time. Knowing what cadence to ride at, what gear to use, how to ride hills, how to draft legally, knowing what HR to ride at, gear selection, tyre pressure, actual riding ability as in knowing how fast you can descend, taking corners, how to overtake, making the most of the 25s you get to overtake etc etc All of that takes time. Riding with groups, riding on different bikes with different gear in different conditions on different routes.

I'm a bit confused with your bike times though. You went 3 hours for the bike in a 70.3 or 4 hours? And if you're bonking on a bike that's an easy fix, heart rate monitor. Some may disagree, but I find a 70.3 ride on a par with an average training ride, I can still chat to people, I'm not under duress. (I'll ride low mid 2.20s). A lot of people over-bike, both in 70.3s and IM. Not just inexperienced peeps. One of the top (very experienced) AGers in my area rode as quick as some of the pros 4.3x and then ran 5 hours. He did that 2 years in a row.... and then did the same thing in Kona.. So keeping an eye on that HR is critical. You should never come close to bonking on the bike, maybe with 7 kms to go on the run, but the bike should be moderate exertion.

sub 5 hours is achievable for sure. Just ride lots.

This is very valuable. Thank you. I am slow on a bike and I don't know why. My chiropractor said some muscle on my quad is exceptionally weak (so maybe that)

I got a p2, my good friend is a ex ironman and bike manager. He knows his shit but just keeps telling me to ride more. I am wondering when I'll have the time.

Yeah bonk was my fault. I forgot my gels and I lost a bottle on the first four km. So I had one bottle the whole way.

Well 5hours is the aim. It's relative as well. Of the conditions are bad for everyone then that time can increase. Basically.... I want top 10 in my age group and preferably top 3. (I know I won't get it deep down. I just refuse to accept it and believe people should aim high)

As for drafting? I thought that was banned haha
Quote Reply

Prev Next