Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
flight<bird wrote:
Can't be hung ho
Need to build up slowly
Haven't ridden bike this year.
Decide to do 2 hour ride plus running while doing a water fast..
Doesn't make sense..

There are lot of smart people in here and a lot of them have achieved what you want to and yet you dismiss much of their advice.. you seem to think you know more than people who have more experience than which clearly isn't the case..

If I lived in wanganui I'd be the same way im sure...

I asked a simple question and got the answer I wanted from three mature adults.

The rest of the kids can not read, debate and clearly do not under the science of WHY they do what they do.

Probably just losers who have very little going on in their life, have finally achieved something average and now want to mock anyone coming along.

I have above average knowledge in swimming and can give anyone rough guidelines to their goals. That's all most people want for motivation... They want to create goals that have metric to work off of. To see incremental success.

It's literally the most basic question you would get on here.

"Where is the biggest bang for buck"

If your race is less than 3 months away... It's in HIIT training (proven by meta analysis on vo2 max increases dramatically increasing over sow and steady.

However, as two of you pointed out.... It's 8 months away. A build phase at zone 2 to create larger long term health would be advantageous

Cycling is three things above 5mins.
1. The ability to transfer oxygen and fuel into energy and carbon dioxide
2. The power to push and pull the pedals (yes none of you told me I'm meant to pull up as well)
3. The ability to manage fuel efficiently. I.E to ensure long term fuel management

I feel sorry for any newbie who asks a question in this forum. They need to stand clear and ask nice people the stupid questions.

I don't live in Wanganui. I live in Whanganui you racist fuck

This is an insignificant factor as long as you have two fully functional legs, the muscular requirements are so low. 200w is an average pedalling force of around 14lbs per leg! And you shouldn't be pulling. Pedal hard however feels best (quad and glute dominant) on a good bike fit and the limitation will be gas exchange not what muscles you are using.

And don't get hysterical. Your man crush Tim Ferris would never stoop to that.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wild Horse wrote:
Unfortunate thread. Frankly, I would be surprised if someone training 20hrs/wk for any length of time didn’t finish in under 5 hours, although I like riding my bike.

Is this specific to cycling?

I know runners who run 6-7 times a week and are still not meeting their goals.

Surely in cycling you need to do some specific training?
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [swimdog295] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimdog295 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

The rest of the kids can not read, debate and clearly do not under the science of WHY they do what they do.

I have above average knowledge in swimming and can give anyone rough guidelines to their goals.

Probably just losers who have very little going on in their life, have finally achieved something average and now want to mock anyone coming along.

--------------------

oof. I swam at a powerhouse D1 school, qualified for Olympic Trials, and I know I have more knowledge about swimming than most. It is a matter of being "qualified to give anyone rough guidelines to their goals," as you put it. I would choose someone with extensive swimming experience over someone who is only doing 3 practices a week for 28 minutes. What happens if you swim over 28 minutes in the race? Will you give up because that throws you off? I recommend doing 3000-4000 a practice for swimming. Keeps endurance up, rather than swimming what you think you'll be able to do (assuming you're 1.9km time was in a pool, and not open water).

sometimes people read and aren't debating with you- they are telling you from experience that you probably aren't going to achieve your goal in the timeframe you want based on the stats you gave. I used to think that getting where I wanted to be on biking or running would be "easy"- train more and it would come. It doesn't really happen like that. You will take steps forward and backwards, and some weeks you will wonder if you are even making progress. If you think you won't be one of those people, ask any professional triathlete if they've had weeks and seasons where they haven't achieved what they wanted. Also, calling people losers after they disagree with you is juvenile.... and to call someone a racist fk simply because they forgot the h in the Whaganui name is rude and shows you aren't open to constructive criticism at all... or even someone making an accidental typo lol

Thank you for your input. I admit, I only swam nationally at shorter distances. Not a lot of training has been brought across.

My aim was to casually do 30minutes this time around.

I was thinking of doing roughly 10'000 metres a week to maintain stroke count and core fitness. (Once I am swim fit again)

I am 70% sure I won't go under 5. I am 40% sure I won't even see a 5... I do not mind and will be the first person to pivot my goals closer to the event. Oh and laugh.

However, my only fear is waste. I can not stand wasting time. If I trained for 6 months and then found out, all I needed to do was a HIIT TRAINING session or a strength work out or something basic.... Or finding out.. Like i just did, that when you pedal you pull up as well. I would have been angry at myself

It's good to be laughed at... I enjoy it. But it's been weeks now and I'm bored of people refusing to read and just assume.

FYI it's not that I disagree with them. It's the constant responses of commentary and not analysis. If I wanted that, I would have asked on Facebook. I wanted specifically the " fat" guy turned ironman. I wanted real-life data from people like Duncan, not so much the pros who an easy week was 4 hours of work 8 years ago.
.i wanted the people who have done the research and found that 20 hours is perfect but don't miss xyZ session.

As I said. I'm following Duncan on strava now. I have a plan for running and swimming but I don't understand cycling, i can only hope it gets better with all the hours.

Only white supremacists lose the H in Whanganui.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
swimdog295 wrote:

sometimes people read and aren't debating with you- they are telling you from experience that you probably aren't going to achieve your goal in the timeframe you want based on the stats you gave. I used to think that getting where I wanted to be on biking or running would be "easy"- train more and it would come. It doesn't really happen like that. You will take steps forward and backwards, and some weeks you will wonder if you are even making progress. If you think you won't be one of those people, ask any professional triathlete if they've had weeks and seasons where they haven't achieved what they wanted. Also, calling people losers after they disagree with you is juvenile.... and to call someone a racist fk simply because they forgot the h in the Whaganui name is rude and shows you aren't open to constructive criticism at all... or even someone making an accidental typo lol

And he doesn't realize that THIS is why he is getting the reactions he is. Nobody would bat an eye if it were just newbie questions. There's this very strange arrogance, and I have zero idea where it's coming from. It's now mixed with a misunderstanding of the advice given to him so far and some very odd and wrong beliefs (who still thinks you pull up on pedals? creatine?) regarding training and the science behind it.

But I'm now in 100% on this train wreck. I can't wait to see what his next hack is.

Cold showers
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Simo429 wrote:
Lets be honest you managed less than a week of vlogging before packing it in, you haven't got the determination to do this nor the athletic background. You throw anecdotes and phrases like they mean anything. They don't.

I said on the last video that it'll go weekly now. (Which reminds me to upload)

Honestly.. There is nothing to say daily. Every week now is just the same with a light increase.... Duncan said it needs to build up to 20 hours. So it's building up to 20 hours.

I can't see what else I can talk about in this forum.

A couple of you know how to read and they are valuable assets in a transformation and have given some great feedback.

The rest of you just seem like losers to be fair. Can't see outside your slim world view.

1. I never said I wouldn't do 20 hours a week for 8 months.
2. I never said I wanted it easy. I said I wanted it smart
3. I have already found three hacks on the bike.
I) bike fit
II) using a better fluid motion so that your pulling up and down on pedals
III) greater zone 2 workouts to build a bigger base

Smart is not getting hurt and training today so you can train tomorrow. You said you were at the doc for heart issues. Don’t die man.

3 hacks on the bike- what do you mean by hack?

Pull up and down on the pedals. No. People once believed clipless pedals allowed you to pull. It’s bullshit. You pedal through the bottom stroke efficiently as you rotate your ankle as you spin. Proper seat height helps with pedal stroke tremendously.

So you literally push down? Then how does your glutes come into the motion? Wouldn't it be purely reflextor and quad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Makes me remember a ride with a friend of mine I have known for 30 years. We met bmx racing at the track when we were kids. We have ridden bikes forever. We were at the top of a climb on a road ride and we saw a tremendous view. We stopped, soaked it in for about 5 min as we talked a bit. He said- I wish more people rode bikes and realized getting in shape is a side effect, but not really why you do it. I agreed.

It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I try and do this almost every long ride. Find a beautiful view, stop for a few minutes, have a chat/coffee/snack for 15 minutes. It's not going to take anything out of my training if the ride is 4+ hrs long, and man biking has brought me to some beautiful places!
The same on runs over 15kms, although there the stops are usually a much shorter.

The triathlon journey for me has been a 3 year process till I got to my first HIM this year. And while I'm looking forward to the races, it's the training and friends that I made along the way that I enjoy most.
I'm here 50% just to be outside (this includes running in the Canadian winter), 30% stress relief from my day job as a trader, and 20% for results in a race. Getting fit just happened along the way. If I don't hit my target times, I'll at least be 80% happy :)

Completely understand that others have different priorities, and that is their prerogative. It allows me to enjoy the 360 days of the year that I'm training, as much as the 5 days a year that I'm racing.

I am Uber jealous of people who love biking. I am uncomfortable and bored. Maybe cos I live in a really or maybe cos I don't have the right mind for it.

How can you be bored on a bike? You travel 4 times faster than running and that makes for 4 times more things to see? Not much to see underwater when swimming, that should be boring! If you're uncomfortable, go to the bike shop and ask for a bike fit. Necessary when you ride a lot.

Running sends hormones around my body. It's like a breathe of fresh air.

Swimming allows me to shut off. Just swim, i can go for two hours and just be happy

Cycling... It's just painful. Within the first 10mins my quads burn, then they have no power left, then I fall over cos I can't get my cleats out. I'm just a freaking idiot on the bike. Then my ass hurts for days where I can't sit down and look like I've had a session with a s and m.

I've been told... I just need to ride more.

Indoor trainer is better.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
flight<bird wrote:
Can't be hung ho
Need to build up slowly
Haven't ridden bike this year.
Decide to do 2 hour ride plus running while doing a water fast..
Doesn't make sense..

There are lot of smart people in here and a lot of them have achieved what you want to and yet you dismiss much of their advice.. you seem to think you know more than people who have more experience than which clearly isn't the case..

If I lived in wanganui I'd be the same way im sure...

I have above average knowledge in swimming and can give anyone rough guidelines to their goals. That's all most people want for motivation... They want to create goals that have metric to work off of. To see incremental success.

It's literally the most basic question you would get on here.

"Where is the biggest bang for buck"

If your race is less than 3 months away... It's in HIIT training (proven by meta analysis on vo2 max increases dramatically increasing over sow and steady.

However, as two of you pointed out.... It's 8 months away. A build phase at zone 2 to create larger long term health would be advantageous

Cycling is three things above 5mins.
1. The ability to transfer oxygen and fuel into energy and carbon dioxide
2. The power to push and pull the pedals (yes none of you told me I'm meant to pull up as well)
3. The ability to manage fuel efficiently. I.E to ensure long term fuel management

I feel sorry for any newbie who asks a question in this forum. They need to stand clear and ask nice people the stupid questions.

This is an insignificant factor as long as you have two fully functional legs, the muscular requirements are so low. 200w is an average pedalling force of around 14lbs per leg! And you shouldn't be pulling. Pedal hard however feels best (quad and glute dominant) on a good bike fit and the limitation will be gas exchange not what muscles you are using.

And don't get hysterical. Your man crush Tim Ferris would never stoop to that.

I hear you, but I've never seen this 200w. At the gym i average 96watts and when I'm really pushing it, I see 150watts.

Maybe it's just the gym, maybe... But I doubt it based on my performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread rivals the Ashley Horner thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Makes me remember a ride with a friend of mine I have known for 30 years. We met bmx racing at the track when we were kids. We have ridden bikes forever. We were at the top of a climb on a road ride and we saw a tremendous view. We stopped, soaked it in for about 5 min as we talked a bit. He said- I wish more people rode bikes and realized getting in shape is a side effect, but not really why you do it. I agreed.

It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I try and do this almost every long ride. Find a beautiful view, stop for a few minutes, have a chat/coffee/snack for 15 minutes. It's not going to take anything out of my training if the ride is 4+ hrs long, and man biking has brought me to some beautiful places!
The same on runs over 15kms, although there the stops are usually a much shorter.

The triathlon journey for me has been a 3 year process till I got to my first HIM this year. And while I'm looking forward to the races, it's the training and friends that I made along the way that I enjoy most.
I'm here 50% just to be outside (this includes running in the Canadian winter), 30% stress relief from my day job as a trader, and 20% for results in a race. Getting fit just happened along the way. If I don't hit my target times, I'll at least be 80% happy :)

Completely understand that others have different priorities, and that is their prerogative. It allows me to enjoy the 360 days of the year that I'm training, as much as the 5 days a year that I'm racing.

I am Uber jealous of people who love biking. I am uncomfortable and bored. Maybe cos I live in a really or maybe cos I don't have the right mind for it.

How can you be bored on a bike? You travel 4 times faster than running and that makes for 4 times more things to see? Not much to see underwater when swimming, that should be boring! If you're uncomfortable, go to the bike shop and ask for a bike fit. Necessary when you ride a lot.

Swimming allows me to shut off. Just swim, i can go for two hours and just be happy

Cycling... It's just painful. Within the first 10mins my quads burn, then they have no power left, then I fall over cos I can't get my cleats out. I'm just a freaking idiot on the bike. Then my ass hurts for days where I can't sit down and look like I've had a session with a s and m.

Here is the best tip from this thread. You finally hit the nail on the head.

YOU SUCK ON THE BIKE.

Your swim time is fast enough to see a 5hr half IM. Your run is as well. Your last half IM you blew the bike and your race sucked because of it. You hate cycling... why, cuz you suck at it.

If you want to be good at triathlon you need to be a more balanced athlete at all 3 sports. Fact is, many triathletes are good at all 3 sports and not great at any one of them. That’s ok, because it’s better than being great at 2 and sucking at 1.

Start riding your bike 4 times a week for 1.25 - 1.5 hrs each time. Swim one day a week and run one day a week. Take one day off.

Buy an expensive pair of bike shorts. It’s worth it. Comfort is critical and bike shorts last forever. Hand wash them and air dry them. Don’t put them with anything that has Velcro when you wash them. The damn Velcro sticks to the Lycra and ruins them. If your ass still hurts in a month of riding, go to the bike shop and get a new seat. A good shop allows returns if the new seat is not comfortable.

Are you on a road bike or Tri bike? Honestly- I would ride a road bike until you are confident and a faster rider, then switch to the Tri bike. Tri bike verses road bike even with fast aero wheels may save you 8 min in a half Ironman distance. Not worth the discomfort at this level.

Remember. You did a 4 hr bike split. Do everything I am saying and let’s get your bike split to at least 3 hrs which is 18mph average for 56 miles. Hopefully quicker.

If you can do a 30 min swim going easy, then a 3 hrs bike- you are at 3.5 hrs and it sounds like you can run a 90 min 13.1 mile run from what you have stated. There is your 5 hrs, excluding transition times of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [triATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triATX wrote:

Well, I'm happy to not post anymore. i got the info I wanted.

Bit of research on top and YouTube and I don't see what else I can do.

I have my plan and the times I need to achieve in each three disciplines going forward.

It's not 50 ironman in 50 days.

It's just Mike seeing what his potential is after 8 months of training.

Since I trained 7 weeks last time. 8 months is a lot longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

YOU SUCK ON THE BIKE.

Your swim time is fast enough to see a 5hr half IM. Your run is as well. Your last half IM you blew the bike and your race sucked because of it. You hate cycling... why, cuz you suck at it.

If you want to be good at triathlon you need to be a more balanced athlete at all 3 sports. Fact is, many triathletes are good at all 3 sports and not great at any one of them. That’s ok, because it’s better than being great at 2 and sucking at 1.

Start riding your bike 4 times a week for 1.25 - 1.5 hrs each time. Swim one day a week and run one day a week. Take one day off.

Buy an expensive pair of bike shorts. It’s worth it. Comfort is critical and bike shorts last forever. Hand wash them and air dry them. Don’t put them with anything that has Velcro when you wash them. The damn Velcro sticks to the Lycra and ruins them. If your ass still hurts in a month of riding, go to the bike shop and get a new seat. A good shop allows returns if the new seat is not comfortable.

Are you on a road bike or Tri bike? Honestly- I would ride a road bike until you are confident and a faster rider, then switch to the Tri bike. Tri bike verses road bike even with fast aero wheels may save you 8 min in a half Ironman distance. Not worth the discomfort at this level.

Remember. You did a 4 hr bike split. Do everything I am saying and let’s get your bike split to at least 3 hrs which is 18mph average for 56 miles. Hopefully quicker.

If you can do a 30 min swim going easy, then a 3 hrs bike- you are at 3.5 hrs and it sounds like you can run a 90 min 13.1 mile run from what you have stated. There is your 5 hrs, excluding transition times of course.

Thanks, good advice and yeah. I completely suck at the bike.

I have a p2c. It's mostly comfortable (position wise) compared to my road Scott bike.

I'll go get another seat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

YOU SUCK ON THE BIKE.

I have a p2c. It's mostly comfortable (position wise) compared to my road Scott bike.

I'll go get another seat

You have the same bike as me. I have a P2C as well.

Ride your road bike. Bike shorts on a Tri bike suck. Too much pad for the position. You need a Tri short for a Tri bike. However, less pad means less comfort. I’m using a Specialized Sitero Tri seat and a specialized Toupe road seat. Mainly because I think Specialized is a good company and the dealer will swap seats for me if I buy a new seat and if it’s not comfortable as I mentioned.

Seats are obviously anatomically specific to your body. Since I have an enormous penis, these seats work for me, but not for most people. (Intended joke... seriously though, it’s a personal preference). Good bike shorts first, ride your bike consistently for a month, then buy a seat.

Seat position and seat height are very critical to comfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triATX wrote:

At no point in that thread did Ashley call me old or start stalking me.

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
triATX wrote:

*turns up at Duncans home*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
triATX wrote:

*turns up at Duncans home*

All good. Chances are I'll be out training....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

YOU SUCK ON THE BIKE.

I'll go get another seat

You have the same bike as me. I have a P2C as well.

Ride your road bike. Bike shorts on a Tri bike suck. Too much pad for the position. You need a Tri short for a Tri bike. However, less pad means less comfort. I’m using a Specialized Sitero Tri seat and a specialized Toupe road seat. Mainly because I think Specialized is a good company and the dealer will swap seats for me if I buy a new seat and if it’s not comfortable as I mentioned.

Seats are obviously anatomically specific to your body. Since I have an enormous penis, these seats work for me, but not for most people. (Intended joke... seriously though, it’s a personal preference). Good bike shorts first, ride your bike consistently for a month, then buy a seat.

Seat position and seat height are very critical to comfort.

Ah, i only have the one now, tbh, I will use the gym bike more than mine as I travel to work.

I will just be basic cycling, building up to roughly 10 hours. I have my half marathon in Taupo to worry about...

Atm it's roughly (subject to flight alterations)

Monday - rest

Tuesday Morn - 1 hour cycle z2, 2k swim (add 200m a week till 5k)
Tuesday night - 5km z2 run {2-3.5hours}

Wednesday - 6k (building to 14k, 1k a week. 2k easy, x k at race pace, 2k.. Increase x by 1 per week) {0.5-1.5 hour}

Thursday - 1 hour cycle z2, run sprints 5k {1.5 hours}

Friday - strength workout and one hour swim {2 hours}

Saturday long run adding 1km every week z2 - {1.5-3 hours}

Sunday long cycle adding 10mins every week z2 {2-4 hours} then a 1km to 5km jog

Total time next week is: 9.5 hours and increases up to 15.5 hours

Running should see a 1:45 in August on aim for 1:30 by November.

Swimming will be 1:50m to 1:40 by September and 1:30m per 100 by November

Cycling.... Fuck knows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:

You are the reason people like me who grew up in Wanganui/Whanganui got out of that place as soon as I could. 17 years of my childhood I will never get back.
You sir are showing your true colours by the tone of your replies like this to people who are genuinely trying to help you and create realistic expectations and goals for you.
That language etc is completely uncalled for and unnecessary on this forum and I would not be surprised if you cop everything coming your way from Dan etc for dropping to this level.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonmak:

I would suggest you get some coaching to help you get more lean and agile. Will help you in your goals immensely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

You are the reason people like me who grew up in Wanganui/Whanganui got out of that place as soon as I could. 17 years of my childhood I will never get back.
You sir are showing your true colours by the tone of your replies like this to people who are genuinely trying to help you and create realistic expectations and goals for you.
That language etc is completely uncalled for and unnecessary on this forum and I would not be surprised if you cop everything coming your way from Dan etc for dropping to this level.

You can't read. I admit, that is probably your Whanganui upbringing.

I feel sorry for you.

However, us well educated foreigners are moving in. It's an amazing place and we just need more people like you to leave.

Slow twitch forum members on average have shown their true colours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
pbnz wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

I feel sorry for you.

However, us well educated foreigners are moving in. It's an amazing place and we just need more people like you to leave.

Such a troll.....and we love feeding you here.
Well educated foreigner?? Obviously not that well educated if you moved to Whanganui....somebody tricked you good there....
I am quite happy being a very well educated foreigner in my new country....guess I can thank my private school upbringing in Whanganui for something....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
pbnz wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

I feel sorry for you.

Such a troll.....and we love feeding you here.
Well educated foreigner?? Obviously not that well educated if you moved to Whanganui....somebody tricked you good there....
I am quite happy being a very well educated foreigner in my new country....guess I can thank my private school upbringing in Whanganui for something....

Great school and super cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy is very clearly a troll.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really is amazing. After my first HIM I thought, wow great, I wonder if I could take 15-30 minutes off next time. At no point did I ever imagine to myself... alright, I think a 2.5 hour PR is right around the corner as long as I pull up on my pedal stroke and find the right hacks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the trainer and your main problem is that you can't push more watts than the average 50kg girl, why not do all your sessions on the trainer? Haven't read more than the last page, but if you're willing to train 20 hours a week and you have 8 months to spare, try the following:

day 1: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 2: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 3: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 4: half a rest day - swim+strength

day 5: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 6: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 7: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 8: half a rest day - swim+strength

day 9: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 10: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 11: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 12: half a rest day - swim+strength

day 13: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 14: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 15: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 16: full rest day

Repeat the cycle.

Aim for 40-60 at or around threshold for each session on the double days. It will probably suffice with around 40min in the beginning. Let the bike workout be the first workout of the day, then it will mentally be easier. It doesn't matter so much how the threshold sessions are done, what matters is that you do them.

Examples 5-8 x 8min, 4-6 x 10min, 10-15 x 4min

Personally I like to mix in some sub threshold work like 6x20min, 3x30 etc, but that is something I would consider closer to the race. I don't ever remember being bored during a threshold session. I often want to cry, I am just short of quitting several times during each session, but it never gets boring. You can also mix in some brick session. My go to session is the following brick workout:

4x10min bike
4x8 min run
4x6 min bike
4x4 min run

I normally keep rest times at half the length during this workout. Changing between bike and run twice allows you to get in a lot of work at or around threshold, but it is quite tough mentally. For context I have been 230 lbs and was all out of gas after half a k in 4minutes. That is when I realised that something had to change. I am now at 180 lbs.

PS: This took me from rehab after being in a wheel chair to sub 4.30 in 4 months (34-2.21-1.28) in 4 months last year. You should be able to break 5min if you do the work.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
If you like the trainer and your main problem is that you can't push more watts than the average 50kg girl, why not do all your sessions on the trainer? Haven't read more than the last page, but if you're willing to train 20 hours a week and you have 8 months to spare, try the following:

day 1: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 2: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 3: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 4: half a rest day - swim+strength

day 5: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 6: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 7: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 8: half a rest day - swim+strength

day 9: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 10: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 11: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 12: half a rest day - swim+strength

day 13: double threshold (bike-run/swim)
day 14: long easy day (Netflix/youtube works fine for 2-3hours and you won't need more)
day 15: double threshold (bike - run/swim)
day 16: full rest day

Repeat the cycle.

Aim for 40-60 at or around threshold for each session on the double days. It will probably suffice with around 40min in the beginning. Let the bike workout be the first workout of the day, then it will mentally be easier. It doesn't matter so much how the threshold sessions are done, what matters is that you do them.

Examples 5-8 x 8min, 4-6 x 10min, 10-15 x 4min

Personally I like to mix in some sub threshold work like 6x20min, 3x30 etc, but that is something I would consider closer to the race. I don't ever remember being bored during a threshold session. I often want to cry, I am just short of quitting several times during each session, but it never gets boring. You can also mix in some brick session. My go to session is the following brick workout:

4x10min bike
4x8 min run
4x6 min bike
4x4 min run

I normally keep rest times at half the length during this workout. Changing between bike and run twice allows you to get in a lot of work at or around threshold, but it is quite tough mentally. For context I have been 230 lbs and was all out of gas after half a k in 4minutes. That is when I realised that something had to change. I am now at 180 lbs.

PS: This took me from rehab after being in a wheel chair to sub 4.30 in 4 months (34-2.21-1.28) in 4 months last year. You should be able to break 5min if you do the work.

That's mate, good advice in there. Did you not do a "build" phase due to 4 month timing or because you needed more threshold work?
Quote Reply

Prev Next